• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

I'm going to be as brief as possible here. I dislike gun culture. I think the UK does just fine as it is, because things are volatile and dangerous enough at the moment without handing out firearms. P

1 hour ago, Wayne Kerr said:

1.53.0 it says

Oh, you just have VS Code, then. See if you can install Visual Studio 2019 Community. That will have a compiler for C++ in it and a bunch of libraries you might find helpful.

But if you can only get VS Code working on your version of Windows, yeah, I would look into getting Clang. It'll make your life easier.

Oh, one more thing. There are great online compiler that let you test your code quickly. My favorite for C++ is Wandbox. That will let you compile with your choice of versions of GNU or Clang, letting you play with up to C++20 features. Another decent one is IDEOne. It has fewer C++ options, and only goes to C++14, but it also supports a bunch of other languages. Finally, the most powerful code analysis tool for C++ is Godbolt's Compiler Explorer, but its best features have to do with disassembly, so it's probably overkill for you right now. Wandbox is probably the one that will be most useful for you while you are learning the basics.

You should still get your own local version working, though. For larger projects, you need to compile and link multiple translation units and there are other nuances. Plus, I've never seen an online compiler that would let you run with a debugger attached, and at some point, you'll want to learn how to do that.

So I asked this in the Programming general questions thread in the tech subforum originally but I'll ask this here too for more reach.

Alright I am trying to learn C++ by myself with practically no programming knowledge and it seems I cant compile a basic Hello World code without getting a host of errors. Can someone please tell this fool what is going wrong that he cant run even a simple program like this successfully?

Code (just an elementary Hello world code) 

Spoiler
#include <iostream>

int main()

{
    std ::cout << "Hello World";
}

Errors

Spoiler
g++: error: Hello: No such file or directory
g++: error: World: No such file or directory
g++: error: programming\Hello: No such file or directory
g++: error: World: No such file or directory
g++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

I think the answer will most likely be simple and whoever reads this will laugh and I'll embarrass myself posting this but I just want to figure out what is wrong and get educated on this stuff.

I'm using Visual Studio Code v 1.53.0 and the code runner extension for my compiler.

So yeah i'm at my wits end and I'm stumped right at the beginning of my programming journey lol.

Edit: I reinstalled complier(Code runner extension for Visual source) as was suggested in the tech forum but didnt help

edit II: It seems that for somebody else when they copy pasted the same code I posted here, it worked fine. Huh??

Edited by Wayne Kerr
  • KEKW 3

@Wayne Kerr That code is perfectly fine. The problem is between IDE and compiler. The command line seems like it's structured completely wrong. Something might not like your file name. Try renaming it to: "HelloWorld.cpp".

If that still doesn't work, try opening up command prompt (or another terminal), navigate to the directory where you have the file, and run the following.

g++ HelloWorld.cpp -o HelloWorld.exe

That should compile if all your paths are set up correctly. If it tells you that g++ is not found, try gpp instead.

One thing that might help you in general is adding new line after your output.

std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;

The way endl works under the hood with shift operators is a bit convoluted, but the effect is that it ends the current printed line and flushes console. Most of the time you want it at the end of whatever you are printing.

Also, FYI, "std" is the namespace for standard library functions. So you'll see it a lot.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

@Wayne Kerr That code is perfectly fine. The problem is between IDE and compiler. The command line seems like it's structured completely wrong. Something might not like your file name. Try renaming it to: "HelloWorld.cpp".

Yeah I did so ( I read if you have spaces in file names it could cause problems) and added the new end1 line. Now I dont get the no such file or directory errors but I get this error

Spoiler
[Running] cd "c:\Users\pc\C++\" && g++ HelloWorld.cpp -o HelloWorld && "c:\Users\pc\C++\"HelloWorld
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o):(.text.startup+0xa0): undefined reference to `[email protected]'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I have no knowledge about this and i dont know if this is relevant but when I installed MinGW i had changed the path in the environment variables after following a YouTube tutorial, I added this (bin;C:\MinGW\bin)  to the end of the path.

theres another separate path for Visual code.

I dont use MinGW but on seeing the undefined reference error I'm wondering if there's some conflict between the two paths? Sorry if this sounds stupid/not relevant I'm still trying to figure out what is going on hehe.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

If that still doesn't work, try opening up command prompt (or another terminal), navigate to the directory where you have the file, and run the following.

g++ HelloWorld.cpp -o HelloWorld.exe

That should compile if all your paths are set up correctly. If it tells you that g++ is not found, try gpp instead.

i ran cmd and both g++ and gpp arent working

for g++ it says no such file or directory for HelloWorld.cpp

and fatal error no input files

and for gpp it says it is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Edited by Wayne Kerr

Update: Think I finally got it

I went to settings, searched 'save' and checked the 'Save file before running option'

Now the code

Spoiler
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    std ::cout << "Hello World" << std::endl;
}

and the result

Spoiler
[Running] cd "c:\Users\pc\C++\" && g++ HelloWorld.cpp -o HelloWorld && "c:\Users\pc\C++\"HelloWorld
Hello World

[Done] exited with code=0 in 0.702 seconds

So this is the required output right? 

Thanks K^2 and also the Youtuber who showed that I gotta tick the save file before run option hehe.

edit: btw should I also check/tick the 'Save all files before running' option?

Edited by Wayne Kerr

Oh, so you weren't actually writing the file? Wild. But yeah, that all looks good. And yes, might as well check that "save all before running".

Sorry for once again asking a programming question here but no one replied on the technology forum yet and i'm desperate I searched everywhere for a solution but couldnt find, or maybe I just dont understand this stuff too good.

Quoting that post

14 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

It seems I cant input any values in Visual Studio Code's terminal for C++. I ticked 'Run in terminal' in coderunner's settings but I get some '&& is not a valid statement separator' error. I'm new to this and dumb so I'd like some assistance on what has gone wrong here

the code

Hide contents
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    int x,y,temp;
    std:: cout << "Values of x and y are-";
    std:: cin >> x >> y;
    temp=x;
    x=y;
    y=temp;
    std:: cout << "Exchanged values-" << x <<  y;

}

and the error

Hide contents

PS C:\Users\pc\C++> cd "c:\Users\pc\C++\" && g++ WAP2.cpp -o WAP2 && "c:\Users\pc\C++\"WAP2
The token '&&' is not a valid statement separator in this version.
At line:1 char:25
+ cd "c:\Users\pc\C++\" && <<<<  g++ WAP2.cpp -o WAP2 && "c:\Users\pc\C++\"WAP2
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (&&:String) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidEndOfLine

The weird thing is this exact same error happens to my Hello word program on C++ too when 'Run in terminal' is ticked, but when its unticked the Hello World program runs properly. With this program I need to input the values in the compiler so I cant untick 'Run in terminal'. 

Can someone help on how to correct this?

This is definitely a problem with how you've set up VS Code to run with MinGW, but I don't know nearly enough about Code to help you with that.

You should be able to just run that command in Command Prompt, though:

cd "c:\Users\pc\C++\" && g++ WAP2.cpp -o WAP2 && "c:\Users\pc\C++\"WAP2

There are actually 3 commands here separated by the && operator, and you can run them separately.

cd "c:\Users\pc\C++\"

- Set current directory (cd) to "c:\Users\pc\C++\", which is presumably where your source is.

g++ WAP2.cpp -o WAP2

- Run g++ with input file WAP2.cpp and call output file WAP2. (This is using Linux naming convention. I would recommend changing that to -o WAP2.exe

"c:\Users\pc\C++\"WAP2

- Run output file. If you name it WAP2.exe instead, you should be able to run it with just "WAP2".

Try and see if that works for you. If not, then your installation of MinGW probably requires an environment or something else that's special. I haven't used that tool in over a decade.

I would still recommend trying to get Visual Studio Community instead of VS Code, since you're working with Windows. But if you want to stick with VS Code, or if that's the only option, definitely switch to CLang. It should work way better on your machine than MinGW, and you'll find help configuring VS Code to run with CLang a lot easier, as there are a lot of people actually running that configuration.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, K^2 said:

I would still recommend trying to get Visual Studio Community[...]

As someone who is blind from staring into Visual Studio all day (successfully solving all of my Xbox game development problems!), I concur wholeheartedly.  

No really.  I may be biased by Visual Studio is great.  

• Like 2

@K^2 When I run it in command prompt it works perfectly I can input values and get the 'exchanged values' output I desire too. Then I'm guessing it must be something wrong with how I set up VSCode with MinGW, I followed some random YouTube tutorial lmao idk if I can still find it.

But atleast its working in cmd. I'll try one last attempt at trying to see if I can see what I've done wrong with VS Code and MinGW and if I can still salvage it, otherwise I'll think of changing to Community or maybe use Clang with VS Code .

Thanks for the detailed yet digestible explanation, appreciate it. 👍  For now I'll compile my codes in Command prompt till I either get VS Code working or replace it.

11 hours ago, Mr JoeStalin said:

Can a North Korean leader turn his/her country into a full democracy?

just curious to know

Considering how they have the power to do virtually anything I'd say yes. If their constitution, for some reason, prevented a leader from doing so then they could just rewrite it anytime.

Of course if we go by facts that leader would probably be soon eliminated by Chinese or Russian agents.

The Time Ranger

Does anybody have any recommendations for decent chocolate found on the highstreet. Used to like Cadburys but ever since Kraft bought them they're rank. Slimy and greasy, and leave an oily taste in the mouth. It's a pity as the plain dairymilk bar used to be lovely. They're so oily America would probably invade the factory now.

I like Milka, is there any others that are decent?

18 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

Assuming you want a decent quality milk chocolate from your references to Milka and Cadbury's, I would have a look at the Lindt extra creamy milk. I don't much like milk chocolate but that one's decently flavourful and not offensively sweet. The Green and Blacks milk with sea salt is also pretty nice.

• Like 1

I don't each much chocolate, but I can mirrior Sivi's comments about Lindt. However, I'm more of a dark chocolate character, but both are equally nice. I'm also going to throw in Ritter as a suggestion. It's not as popular or common but I imagine you'll be able to find it easily in larger stores. I was drawn to Ritter by its sheer amount of varieties if you're feeling boxed in by the standard white, milk and dark options. If I'm out and about and I see Ritter, I grab a few bars, even if I'm not in the mood for chocolate because I know I will be at some point and I'll kick myself if I don't.

• Like 1

Rum and raisin Ritter is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:32 PM, The Time Ranger said:

Milka is absolute trash lmao. All grease and sugar, Milkas have never seen an ounce of cocoa. Anyways I second Lindt, they can taste good. My favorite would be their white chocolate. Their dark chocolates are great too. I would also recommend Ferreo Roche. If you happen to go to Lidl and like hazelnut in your chocolate then try their brand (Fin Carré). Can't vouch for their other flavors but you get big hazelnut pieces in your chocolate.

5 hours ago, RyanDri3957V said:

Is that possible to cancel Windows update?

Assuming you are talking about Windows 10 you can delay the updates. You should be able to delay it forever but I think it's highly dependent on your edition.

• Like 1

"Truth will set you free" - Is that taken from the Bible (not my intended question)? I remember it was from some religious context but I'm unsure what was the origin... doesn't really matter at this point too...

OT: Imagine you got relevant information which seems to be true. Relevant in this case means, once this information leaves your head (e.g. publication), you're a dead man. Simple as that.

Let's say, there might be ppl who don't wish such kind of publication. I really don't want to specify this scenario any deeper, use your imagination on your own. The scenario/background is also not that relevant at this point.

The question is, would YOU go that far when it comes to truth (whatever this exactly means to you, truth is OFTEN very subjective, apart from hard empiric scientifical truth). Truth to me is probably one of the most flexible

things/words I can imagine. Look what happened at the Capitol and what "subjective truth" can lead to. Of course, it can lead to happy things, but often it simply does not. You will agree on this, I'm sure. And that is the problem with

truth, isn't it?

Is it worth for (subjective) truth to give your life? No one else would be harmed, only YOU. The final outcome of your choice is unsure, you won't be able to see it, you will be dead (that's the only unavoidable premise).

It's like hardcore rock climbing (free solo): ONE mistake, ONE wrong decision, ONE wrong grip and you're dead. But you're a climber. A climber. You can't act different, or at least it seems you can't. Almost pure belief - result totally unclear.

I'm sure that Jesus may had such ideas/questions if he was the guy I imagine he was, otherwise he would have taken a different path of life. But my question (bold part) is not ment to be religious, I'd like to call it more simply philosophical.

You can adapt my question to your own personal scenario with whatever background, so that it seems relevant to maybe -or probably- just YOU. Thanks for any input.

And yes, I know that I'm a mad man. Otherwise I would not repair my PSU in the middle of the night, I would simply order a new one (hey sivispacem, it's still working including it's fan!). Hahaha. Stay safe friends!

I know it wasn't your intended question, but the quote "the truth will set you free" has been attributed to John 8:32 from The Bible, so you're right.

As for your actual question, there are so many variables at play here. You say yourself that the truth is subjective. We're dealing with absolutes all the way down, to the point that you could ask what "truth" even is. It would be a fair statement for me to say that the keyboard I'm using to type this is white and silver in colour. I know that to be a truth, but at the end of the day I could quite easily have made that up - my keyboard could be any manner of colour(s) and I'm stating a fact rooted in trust. Sure, it's a banal and somewhat deliberately antagonist example because there is no consequence rooted in an apparent lie, but things get complicated when you look higher and you think of other more controversial "truths", such as the Snowden leaks or documents pertaining to information about MK Ultra. How are we determining truth, however subjective? To somebody who believes the Earth to be flat, or that vaccines are dangerous, this view to that individual is the absolute truth, the real truth. You might see these values as dangerous, particularly the latter as it would persuade somebody to avoid receiving inoculations from preventable and curable disease.

I understand what you're saying but I think the scenario is vague enough to be interpreted a myriad of ways that suit not only the person holding the truth but to those who might set out to cause harm to them for revealing it.

Thanks Rhoda for responding. Yeah, all those THINKING... Awful stuff. That's my burden since long time (hence I call myself mad man, since you often responded to my strange questions you probably know how it's ment).

Sadly now, I'm even more focused on deep thinking caused by the death of a good friend and such philosophical poop comes out of my brain. But it ain't poop... I could say mental poop is good, that's my truth.

And it only hurt myself, that's the burden. And somehow, I knew it: There will be a reply from Rhoda. Haha, intuition? You seem to be interested in philosophy, that's obvious. My question was entirely theoretical, maybe

influenced/enhanced by a death experience like I said. By the way, your avatar fits perfectly to my original question, most ppl look like that when I start "thinking and asking". And I look at them like Tyler Durden. :)Stay safe.

Edited by NaidRaida
is there a reason for editing, who knows...

I make a double post, cause this question is far away from philosophy:

Would you play games @

1.) 120Hz/YCbCr420 or

2.) 60Hz/fullRGB

I have to make a choice cause for 120Hz/fullRGB I'd need HDMI2.1 GPU output. RTX2070S does not have this, only the monitor has it.

I normally use the 120Hz mode in desktop mode because it feels much better than 60Hz. The loss of color seems not that important.

But for gaming the other option should be better, huh? None of my games run faster than 60FPS on 4k resolution, they might profit from better colors.

Or is there a mistake in my thinking? I never fully understood this chroma subsampling issues. Thanks!

13 hours ago, NaidRaida said:

I have to make a choice cause for 120Hz/fullRGB I'd need HDMI2.1 GPU output. RTX2070S does not have this, only the monitor has it.

I'd just use DisplayPort. DP1.4 will accomodate 4k165Hz will the full 10 bit colour gamut, which should be supported by both an 2070S and whatever monitor you're using.

I have been having problems with Radio Garden lately and I was wondering if anyone else has them or if anyone could help me out. Whenever I go on the site it just refreshes itself over and over again within 1 millisecond.
What I have tried so far:
-Disabling uBlock Origin
-Clearing cookies

-Using another browser (via the User Agent Switcher extension)
-Trying the site on a private tab

Edit: An error message in Firefox's console when trying to load the site: "The <script> source URI isn't allowed in this document: "https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"

Edit 2: Well seemingly it was Firefox's HTTPS setting that caused the problem. As I disabled it the site loaded. Now I just wonder why doesn't it say "Sorry fella HTTPS doesn't work, wanna try HTTP?"

Edited by GhettoJesus
9 hours ago, sivispacem said:

I'd just use DisplayPort. DP1.4 will accomodate 4k165Hz will the full 10 bit colour gamut, which should be supported by both an 2070S and whatever monitor you're using.

You're right. I'm familiar with the DP1.4 specs but, my "monitor" doesn't have any DP input, the GPU does have one afaik. That was pretty annoying especially cause this "monitor" was advertised as "gaming screen" but in the end

it is more a weird mixture of an TV and a monitor. It's an LG CX48 OLED panel. It's great for games but my hardware lacks some functions obviously. It has four HDMI2.1 inputs (limited to 40Gbps - not full HDMI2.1 @48Gbps). Yeah, and the GPU has no HDMI 2.1 output. Bad combination and therefore I still have to make a choice between 120Hz or better colors. I know there is even an active DP1.4>HDMI2.1 adapter but I don't want to use it, it has also some negative side effects I've read about. Usually I use it with subsampling because 120Hz is so much better for your eyes, going back to 60Hz is really annoying. But when your game runs at 40FPS, it doesn't matter at all, right? Only in desktop mode it matters. I don't play shooters, I'm fine with 40FPS. This is the limit of this GPU with modding and 4k. The panel could do more but the card not I suppose. Real "monitors" usually have DP I know.

Edited by NaidRaida
10 hours ago, NaidRaida said:

You're right. I'm familiar with the DP1.4 specs but, my "monitor" doesn't have any DP input, the GPU does have one afaik. That was pretty annoying especially cause this "monitor" was advertised as "gaming screen" but in the end

it is more a weird mixture of an TV and a monitor. It's an LG CX48 OLED panel. It's great for games but my hardware lacks some functions obviously. It has four HDMI2.1 inputs (limited to 40Gbps - not full HDMI2.1 @48Gbps). Yeah, and the GPU has no HDMI 2.1 output. Bad combination and therefore I still have to make a choice between 120Hz or better colors. I know there is even an active DP1.4>HDMI2.1 adapter but I don't want to use it, it has also some negative side effects I've read about. Usually I use it with subsampling because 120Hz is so much better for your eyes, going back to 60Hz is really annoying. But when your game runs at 40FPS, it doesn't matter at all, right? Only in desktop mode it matters. I don't play shooters, I'm fine with 40FPS. This is the limit of this GPU with modding and 4k. The panel could do more but the card not I suppose. Real "monitors" usually have DP I know.

Ahh I didn't realise you were outputting to a TV. In your position I'd potentially give the adapter a try- the main downsides in it is that it doesn't support GSync which isn't an issue for you. Most of the other issues seem to be TV firmware related rather than adapter related.

At the end of the day, if you order through Amazon or similar, you can always just send it back. 

8 hours ago, sivispacem said:

Ahh I didn't realise you were outputting to a TV. In your position I'd potentially give the adapter a try- the main downsides in it is that it doesn't support GSync which isn't an issue for you. Most of the other issues seem to be TV firmware related rather than adapter related.

At the end of the day, if you order through Amazon or similar, you can always just send it back. 

Yes you can hardly call this a monitor, so far it's doing it's job very well, even for desktop work, but I call this "experimental OLED use".

Like you said, I've also read on rtings.com that this adapter (Club3D) might cause manifold sync problems and it needs it's own power connection (I suppose via USB).

I personally never experienced a major benefit of GSync, although I keep it on.

Edited by NaidRaida
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 3:23 AM, Payne said:

Do i need Internet to change a modem’s password?

The router doesn't need to be connected to the internet, no. But your computer needs to be able to connect to the router as if it was connecting to the internet. So your browser has to work, the network card has to work, etc. Typically, you just connect the computer to the router directly with an ethernet cable, and then you use the IPv4 address of the default gateway (Use ipconfig on Windows or ifconfig on Apple/Linux) as if it was the internet address from the browser. That should get you to the config page, which might require you to authenticate. You might need to look up default password for your router online, but it's often some combination of just leaving the filed blank and "admin" for either or both username and password. Sometimes the specific ethernet jack on the router matters, so try different ones if you can't connect.