• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

I'm going to be as brief as possible here. I dislike gun culture. I think the UK does just fine as it is, because things are volatile and dangerous enough at the moment without handing out firearms. P

Wayne Kerr

I know photos can distort images but can a mirror do too? Which mirror would give me a more accurate image of my face, a near body sized bedroom mirror or a bathroom mirror? Or is it same?

Edit:oh ya I forgot about concave convex mirrors and all that, but a bath room and bedroom mirror are both concave right? Would there be a difference in the image then? Cause I feel I look slightly different in both.

Edited by Wayne Kerr
K^2
3 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

I know photos can distort images but can a mirror do too? Which mirror would give me a more accurate image of my face, a near body sized bedroom mirror or a bathroom mirror? Or is it same?

Edit:oh ya I forgot about concave convex mirrors and all that, but a bath room and bedroom mirror are both concave right? Would there be a difference in the image then? Cause I feel I look slightly different in both.

Both bedroom and bathroom mirrors are designed to be flat, but "flat" mirrors often bend a little on one axis, making the image stretch out or shrink ever so slightly in one direction. Long, rectangular mirrors are particularly bad at that, and bedrooms mirrors tend to be like that. So unless you are using a magnifying mirror in the bathroom, I'd trust the bathroom mirror more. Though, difference should be fairly minor either way.

• Like 1
Wayne Kerr

I always thought I looked slightly more flattering in the bathroom mirror hehe

Kngee1899

Why are electronics store salesman so aggressive and ass holes compared to salesman in other places?

I legit have multiple stores i don't go just because the salesman came in with such aggressive asshole "what the f*ck are you doing in my store" type of attitude.

Rhoda

I can't speak for all stores, but retail in general experiences a high turnover of staff. Now more than ever, people working in retail are either using the job as a foot on the ladder or they're taking their skills to other companies. Recently, stores are under incredible pressure thanks in part to the pandemic, where staff are told to isolate on a whim and working with the general public has conjured an atmosphere of fear and wariness when it comes to dealing with the general public. Plus, the ever changing world of electronics means that consumers generally have more questions than ever before. I know it hasn't ever been simple, but there are so many more factors to consider now when it comes to buying a TV for example. Do you want a smart one? What resolution? 3D support? Extra packages? Working in retail is notoriously demanding, but I imagine working in an electronics store comes with it's own unique set of customer quarrels and quirks. It's long been established you have to have the patience of a saint to work in retail, and unfortunately the snooty and sometimes downright aggressive behaviour far outshines the positive feedback you might get from a genuinely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly member of staff. The salesmen and women you talk about might have just dealt with a snarky customer, somebody who thought they knew more than they did, or were generally unpleasant. You can't control how people act, but you have complete control over how you react. It isn't an excuse, but just try not to take it personally and think about the dozens of arseholes they probably had to deal with before you strolled in.

In addition, they might be working on commission, which is an another sport altogether. I imagine that generates some stress.

K^2
6 hours ago, Rhoda said:

In addition, they might be working on commission, which is an another sport altogether. I imagine that generates some stress.

Honestly, seems like that ought to be illegal. It's fundamentally exploitative, anti-consummer, and probably isn't ultimately all that great for goods manufacturers either, if people end up buying wrong product because the salesman pushed it so hard. The only person who benefits from such arrangement is the store owner, and even there, if everyone was on the even playing field, it probably wouldn't make much difference. So I can't think of any reason why basing salary on commission should be legal for any business.

Obviously, this only applies to salaried employees. If you are self-employed or a contractor, it's a different can of worms all together.

paperbagdude
27 minutes ago, K^2 said:

So I can't think of any reason why basing salary on commission should be legal for any business.

We got the same sh*t in electronic stores in my country. However, they are both payed by salary and then further rewarded by sales commissions.

Talking of electronic stores, we have franchise of stores in Denmark that literally scam their customers by allegedly having a product in stock in a specific store on their website, and when the customer comes to collect it through the click-and-collect service, they will lie to your face and tell you the product is actually not in stock anyway or has been deemed damaged upon inspection. Then they will try and sell you a similar, yet more expensive product to boost their profits and most customers go along because they are either gullible or being pushed by the sellers. A TV-crew with hidden camera recorded such attempts of scam on several occasions, and when the CEO (or head of sales/marketing, donnu) was interviewed and confronted with it, he just denied the whole thing while having the face of a thousand stressed students during an exam at once.

See that's worthy of court trial.

Rhoda

Working on commission is a scam for both the employee and the customer. I can't think of a single benefit other than some hamfisted and aggressive sales tactics that do nothing but breed intimidation for the sake of shifting stock. The moment I get a whiff of that, I take my business elsewhere.

• Like 2
Wayne Kerr

What were your feelings when you saw your child for the first time(if you have children)? 

I know it's very personal and it's absolutely understandable if someone doesn't want to share, why I ask is I was thinking what this hypothetical moment would feel like for me, for the longest time I didn't feel like it would mean much, not that I wouldn't feel affectionate towards my hypothetical child but I didn't really see myself getting too shaken by it, even now I kind of hold the same opinion but I also feel to see your own flesh and blood in person for the first time, it's hard not to feel pride too I suppose

Not like most people will say they didn't feel good or didn't feel anything, most will feel overjoyed but it'd still be nice to hear about it(whatever your feelings were it'd be nice to hear). If this is not exactly the type of question that should be asked here or anything like that, my apologies hehe

paperbagdude
6 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

What were your feelings when you saw your child for the first time(if you have children)? 

Haven't got children yet, but I know the feeling of hypothetically getting one. I accidently got my ex pregnant about 2 years ago, and without going into too many details, we had to get the abortion. I knew I wasn't fit to become a father yet, nor was my ex ready to become a mother, though she wanted to. At the doctor for the base consultation, I went out for a smoke and I was just hit by waves of these almost indescribable and unfelt emotions. It took me weeks before I could actually sort them out properly. I guess I felt this attachment. A sudden strong and unconditional love for someone that did not exist yet. A child, my child, that I could imagine having these gorgeous green eyes of the woman I once loved and the perfect composition of each our own beauty. Someone I'd love to hold in my arms, protect by all costs, teach and educate until my death and overall ensure him or her a life of love, prosperity and safety.

I remember being very cynical and straight forward about it in the beginning, like that it just had to be dealt with for our own good, but when I realized this would-be human being would never exist in the first place, my heart f*cking broke. It was a rough patch in our relationship, but we moved on together. If I was just 4-6 years ahead of myself back then, I would probably have been a proud and grateful father living an entirely different life.

Edited by paperbagdude
  • Like 2
The Time Ranger

The YouTube algorithm has been good to me lately, but I accidentally click on one Jordan Peterson video and all of a sudden he's everywhere, what's this guys story, he's a psychologist but he seems to be very popular with young men, what's the appeal? 

Mister Pink
3 hours ago, The Time Ranger said:

The YouTube algorithm has been good to me lately, but I accidentally click on one Jordan Peterson video and all of a sudden he's everywhere, what's this guys story, he's a psychologist but he seems to be very popular with young men, what's the appeal? 

I think he's appealing to young men for a multitude of reasons. I have one hypothesis. It seems like people condemn him because he has a mostly male following. Or they question it. I think it's more simpler. I know women that enjoy his content too but it's much rarer.  In his own words, YouTube is where most of his content is viewed. YouTube is mostly male-centric when it comes to viewership. But one thing is, I just think men are more inclined to view this kind of content as a pastime. Simple as that. I've watched a bunch of his content and although I disagree with him on huge chunks of things, there are other things I find interesting. Even the things I don't quite see eye to eye with him, it gives me another perspective. And that's what I crave. Of course, he's not the only guy I watch. Diversity of intellectuals and views is what I enjoy. He's one 50 or 100 public intellectuals I can listen to for an hour or so during the week on a podcast.

I took a psychology module in college the first time and loved it. He happens to have a great verbal IQ and just very articulate at describing things. As are a bunch of other people. But.. it's not just Jordan Peterson. Sure, he's the stand a standout one.... If you look under any person that might be in the sciences (including social) such as Christina Hoff Sommers, Stephen Pinker, Sam Harris, Eric and Brett Weinstein or as they're loosely known as The Intellectual Dark Web they're all mostly men. I say this based on people I meet and YouTube comments and responders to their videos. It seems very male-dominated.  

Why is it male dominated? Well, that's the million-dollar question. I personally think it's the for the same reason there's a 3rd or 4th wave of feminism. I won't say it's a reaction to it but it's one fraction of why his audience are mostly male. But I'd say it's partly due to it. In time where "man-spreading", toxic white male", "cis, white male" , and "toxic masculinity" terms are prevalent in discussions about young men today, I think they seek solace in the Intellectual Dark Web figures and Jordan Peterson is one of them.

Controversially, hee also spoke out on Bill C-16 which shot in into the public light. Bill C-16 as a bill to make people compelled by law to use gender pronouns. Of course, this was taken by the trans community as being transphobic. It's hard to tell what Peterson really means. If he's being honest and honest to himself. I happen to lean on the side that he genuinely doesn't agree that the government should compel speech. It sets a precedent. Should the government meddle in such affairs? I mean, if someone wants to be an asshole, they can be an asshole. But should just being an asshole be against the law? Most people in the company of a trans person, I think would be courteous enough to use preferred gender pro-nouns. But this is the huge controversy around him. That and he got addicted to benzos, lol. This brought huge negativity around him. He's a very hated man by large minorities of people. 

If you don't know what the Intellectual Dark Web is well, I'll take this from Wiki as I think it's accurate: 

The intellectual dark web (IDW) is a loosely-defined informal group of commentators who oppose what they believe to be the dominance of critical social justice, identity politics, political correctness, partisan politics, and cancel culture in higher education and the news media. The term metaphorically compares opposition to mainstream opinion to what is illicitly found on the dark web. The term was coined by Eric Weinstein, and was popularized in a 2018 editorial by Bari Weiss.

Interestingly, he says, what's more amazing is guys like the IDW (Sam Harris, Peterson, Pinker etc) are selling out huge venues. People are paying to see 5-6 people on a stage having conversations and society, politics, psychology which before is unheard of. 

But then going back to your original question. People are also just interested in psychology. Peterson doesn't hide the fact that a lot of teachings and academia for psychology is Jungian. He's former Harvard lecturer and put all his lectures up YouTube. If you search "Peterson lecture" on YouTube, a search term a typical fan might search. 

First page results are (in order):

• Personality and it's transformations
  • How to stop procrastinating. 
  • Existentialism: Nietzsche Dostoevsky & Kierkegaard
  • The Mystery of DMT and Psilocybin
  • How to Easily Overcome Social Anxiety
  • Introduction to the Idea of God
  • How To Deal With Depression | Powerful Motivational Speech

I think some of these subjects might be more inclined to have a male interest. Take the depression one for example:

Compared to women, men are three times more likely to die by suicide in Australia, 3.5 times more likely in the US and more than four times more likely in Russia and Argentina. WHO’s data show that nearly 40% of countries have more than 15 suicide deaths per 100,000 men; only 1.5% show a rate that high for women. - Source

To me, topics like this given the data will just appeal more to men and take into fact that YouTube has a more male-centric usage. 

While it attracts an even split of women and men, YouTube is still fairly male dominated. Men spend 44 percent more time on the site per month, and of 51 categories of YouTube content measured by OpenSlate, men make up the majority of viewers in 90 percent of them. - Source

Sorry for the long-ass response. I was bored as hell but I have thought before of why he's so popular. I tried to answer the best I can. And I tried to give a good round view of him. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
sivispacem
8 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

I think he's appalling

FIFY

• Like 1
  • Bruh 1
Mister Pink
4 hours ago, sivispacem said:

FIFY

Are you going to try answer The Time Ranger's question though? A one-word acronym isn't your best effort. At least I've tried to attempt to answer his question. 

Many people find him appalling. Now would be a good opportunity to say why. I tried to cover why he's appealing to men. Maybe you can tell The Time Ranger why he's appalling in your opinion. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
sivispacem
28 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Are you going to try answer The Time Ranger's question though?

No, I'm just being sardonic. Feel free to ignore me!

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
The Time Ranger

@Mister Pink Thank you for your very detailed answer, I now know why he courts controversy with certain groups of people, and what his appeal is. I must do some further reading on the intellectual dark web, sounds interesting. Like you mentioned the fact that they draw big crowds is interesting, that's the thing about the internet, it can be an introduction to so many interests.

mr quick

534.jpg

LltFdbN5jqdQWFbOYLNklE-gRW3T7ww6RSiYe2c_ 

My take on Peterson's popularity is that he is essentially affirming fragile straight men who feel that the questioning of their priveliges and the levelling of the playing field is an attack on them's views by using lots of -isms, and being seen as an authority through bordering-on-irrelevant academic qualifications. I also think it matters how he presents himself, as fairly well-groomed, well-spoken and upstanding, even if this thin veneer of civility isn't actually relevant to subject matter - see the Zizek v Peterson debate, if you can bear to listen to the Reddit-grade/American-grade audience.

I also think his swift rise to popularity is a self-fulfilling prophecy, how it usually goes with sudden popularity. I know a lot of people who have at best a superficial knowledge of Peterson, but will still praise him. When asked "How so?" or specific questions about him, they will give vague answers that seem to be informed by being nonspecific. I certainly can't fault or debunk the statement "I just think he's great". When someone is popular, people seem to say "Yeah he's great" before they'll say "I don't really know who he is or what he does".

I certainly think he gets a lot of academic credibility purely from image. 

Irrelevant to the question but a golden opportunity to point out, there's a certain Chad vs virgin energy to Zizek leaning back in cheap clothes with pencil and paper while suited Peterson sits awkwardly in a suit while googling in haste
jmtmimE.png

Change is difficult, and if you are a benefactor of injustice, even passively or even unknowingly, attempts at righting this might feel like an attack on you. Jordan is out here telling young men that it's okay to be angry, because it IS an unwarranted attack on you! 

• Like 3
sivispacem

Peterson has tapped into the rich vein of disaffected middle-class millennials who feel they've been disadvantaged by their social position. In a sense I always think of him in s similar vein to Richard Dawkins inasmuch as they both take highly complex and emotive subjects, boil them down into oversimplified soundbites for the attention impaired and fall apart in the face of actual academic debate when trying to defend these "for dummies" summaries.

In essence, Peterson's schtick is excusing white middle class Western millennials of their perceived failures in life (relationships, lack of economic mobility, perceived rejection by some aspects of society) through blaming them on a grand conspiracy of discrimination under the guise of equality. He's super appealing because he absolves people of any personal responsibility for the aspects of life they find disappointing. He's basically a massive charlatan who decries identity politics whilst aggressively engaging in it himself.

He's also an horrifically ugly crier.

• Like 3
Wayne Kerr

Which is the more accurate/proper meaning of the word 'unlockable'? 

A) that which can't be locked

B) that which can be unlocked

Or is it dependant on what the context is? 

• KEKW 2
Mr JoeStalin
45 minutes ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Which is the more accurate/proper meaning of the word 'unlockable'? 

A) that which can't be locked

B) that which can be unlocked

Or is it dependant on what the context is? 

B seems more appropriate.

• Like 1
mr quick

I'm getting a lot of pain in my left flank lately - so much so that when I sleep, I can't sleep on my right side because my left side hurts too much. It is a dull pain that comes when turning/twisting and bending. Any ideas? 

Wayne Kerr

I have zero knowledge of tech stuff so forgive me if I word this question stupidly. 

My laptop out of the blue stopped switching on. I sent it to repairs and they said there was a power circuit issue due to voltage fluctuations. This was a second hand laptop I purchased and I used to use the laptop while charging it a lot too, so I want to know whether this circuit issue could be because I use it while charging or is it just one of those issues that tend to happen and it's okay to use the laptop while charging?

Also he is charging me 2800 rupees which comes to 38.38 dollars, is that a fair price for restoring a second hand laptop or is it not worth it? Could this power fluctuation thing be a recurring issue? I already agreed to it but I still want to know if it was worth it. 

RenegadeAngel

Ted Kaczynski is a controversial person to say the least, but I'll be damned if he's not spot on with this one

n9k6zOm.jpg

Wayne Kerr

What programming language is most useful to learn and what are the job opportunities it will bring? Is it important to say I'll be someone who will be self taught rather than learn through a college? Also if i have zero prior knowledge of programming? 

Edit: while searching online I see C++ is hard to learn for beginners so what else is useful, Python? Java? 

Not looking to work for Google or anything like that I just want to, idk how to say cause I know nothing about this but want to learn these skills and see where I go from there rather than attempt the soul sucking data entry jobs

Edited by Wayne Kerr
Rhoda

C++ is old hat but there's a reason its reputation has endured. It's not the easiest to grasp in my opinion, but if you're looking for a challenge that will prove at least somewhat useful it can't hurt. There's also C# which is similar in a lot of ways because it shares a good deal of the same syntax. I personally use Python to compose music because a lot of the software I use relies on it, and I was drawn in by how user friendly and powerful it was. I'm severely lacking in the programming department when it comes to knowledge however, so that's just my experience.

K^2
5 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

What programming language is most useful to learn and what are the job opportunities it will bring? Is it important to say I'll be someone who will be self taught rather than learn through a college? Also if i have zero prior knowledge of programming? 

Edit: while searching online I see C++ is hard to learn for beginners so what else is useful, Python? Java? 

Not looking to work for Google or anything like that I just want to, idk how to say cause I know nothing about this but want to learn these skills and see where I go from there rather than attempt the soul sucking data entry jobs

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”

“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.

“I don’t much care where—” said Alice.

“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.

“—so long as I get somewhere,” Alice added as an explanation.

“Oh, you’re sure to do that,” said the Cat, “if you only walk long enough.”

- Alice in Wonderland

This quote describes learning to program perfectly. If you don't care where you'll end up, you just want to do something with programming, just start learning whatever you like, and you're sure to end up somewhere with it, so long as you work long enough at it.

On the other hand, if you have a more practical goal, there are considerable shortcuts.

Do you want to be a web developer, perhaps? It's a big field, with a lot of opportunities, and you can find a job relatively easily even if you are just starting out. In that case, you should be learning JavaScript. And immediately, I should warn you that Java and JavaScript have almost nothing in common with each other beyond the name. JavaScript comes in a lot of flavors. Modern variants that are popular and useful for the web are ES6 and TypeScript. I would recommend knowing both. But almost more important than knowing the language in the world of web is knowing the frameworks. React is dominant framework for front end UI right now. If you're good at React, you'll be employed, simple as that. With React, you typically want to know something like MobX or Redux to manage state. It's recommended to know both, but if you only have time for one, MobX is better and becoming more popular. Finally, for back-end integration, you need to know NodeJS and Webpack. Get decent at all of these and you'll have no trouble finding an entry level job in web development.

But maybe you want to focus on mobile aps. Now, a lot of modern apps are built with web technologies, either using React Native or via WebKit. So if you're a good web developer, you can actually start cranking out apps as well. But a lot of work in mobile is done in a more native environment as well, in which case you'll want to pick a platform. You'll need to get good at Java and some C/C++ for Android or Objective-C for iOS. Plus, there are tools and pipelines for all of these, so there's more to learn. And yeah, you should probably get good at both iOS and Android eventually, but it's a lot easier if you pick one to start with.

Then there are games. And this is an entire world of options in itself. A lot of mobile and indy games are made with Unity. If you want to be a programmer on a Unity project, you have to know C# and that's that. The other popular choice is Unreal, which is entirely C++. Actually, most larger studio projects are going to involve a lot of C++, especially if you end up working server-side. And then there are also web games, and while some of these are Unity projects, most are written for web directly, and in that case you'd be working with JavaScript, using a lot of tools you'd also find in web development, but also probably some web-oriented engines, like Cocos2D or such.

And then there are more specialized niches. Servers, databases, banking, analytics, machine learning, embedded systems, operating systems, etc, etc. Most of these are going to require C/C++. But it's worth pointing out that a lot of analytics and machine learning is done with Python, so if you gravitate in that direction, then that's your language. But also, lots and lots of math to back it up.

If you have more detailed questions about a particular direction, I can probably expand and give more specific recommendations.

• Like 4
trip

Python is starting to get a place in the industry.   I'd play around with some python.  Java sucks but thanks to it "almost" becoming something in the 90s we are kinda stuck with it.  It seems to be a popular learning language.

C# seems to not be going away.  If you want to see if you like programming maybe look into installing VS 2019 community edition for c#.  You will be able to find a lot of help online for c# and c# is a great way to really start oop programming.

• Like 1
Wayne Kerr

Appreciate the indepth responses

2 hours ago, K^2 said:

If you have more detailed questions about a particular direction, I can probably expand and give more specific recommendations.

For now I don't have a particular direction I just want to learn it and see where I got from there

I actually chose C++ cause I had a textbook that explained the basics of C++  so while I will majorly depend on the internet for learning I thought that would be a good help so though I read C++ is harder to learn than Java and Python for a beginner I chose C++ cause I already have something to refer to. 

I installed Visual Studio as my IDE(?, I still don't understand this stuff too well) and MinGw as my compiler. I'm on an outdated windows 7 OS btw. I had a torrid time setting the environment variable or whatever it's called, what should have been a simple copy paste took me more than half an hour cause I'm stupid. 

This is a bonus question and not really required to answer cause I'll search myself, but what are the best free tutorials on how to learn C++, YouTube or otherwise? 

K^2

Which version of Visual Studio? You probably should be using compiler that comes with VS (MSVC++ compiler). MinGW is kind of garbage. If you aren't happy with MSVC++ compiler, try Clang instead. It should be easier to install, it will be far more up to date, and it has better compatibility with Visual Studio. As a bonus, Clang has some of the most helpful error messages out of any complier I know.

Also, C++ has transformed quite a bit in the past 10 years. If the book you're using is old, I would recommend relying more on the internet than the book. It doesn't matter too much early on, but it will as you progress further on.

As for starting out, book, vs tutorial, vs YouTube video are all good. Just find what works for you. It won't matter too much until you're well into more serious topics, and by that point, you'll probably have a feel for what's good.

• Like 1
Wayne Kerr
10 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Which version of Visual Studio

1.53.0 it says

I'll look into this Clang, I'll need all the help I can get I suppose