• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

Yeah well get ćucked by foreign alphabets, GTAForums

2 hours ago, Cameron Star said:

It is better to have something and not need it than it is to need something and not have it.

Not gonna lie...I've been reading this line philosophically for awhile now.

I don't know.  Can I pose it as a question?

Is it better to have something and not need it than it is to need something and not have it?

I'm not a minimalist by any stretch but I'm not sure it is good to have something and not need it.   Needing something is what motivates us.  Well, it motivates me.    

*I have fond memories of sheer panic because of not having money for food.

GhettoJesus
53 minutes ago, trip said:

Not gonna lie...I've been reading this line philosophically for awhile now.

I don't know.  Can I pose it as a question?

Is it better to have something and not need it than it is to need something and not have it?

I'm not a minimalist by any stretch but I'm not sure it is good to have something and not need it.   Needing something is what motivates us.  Well, it motivates me.    

*I have fond memories of sheer panic because of not having money for food.

That depends a lot on the situation tbh. There are times when you can just easily improvise. Although I buy stuff at times simply because "who knows when will I need it"

13 hours ago, trip said:

It's an opportunity cost question, and these are always situational. It would suck to need a parachute and not have it, but as I'm sitting here at home, I'm not really sweating it, and I'd feel right silly having one strapped to my office chair. On the other hand, if I go out paragliding, I want to have a spare, even though I know I'll almost definitely never get to use it, and I actually prefer it that way.

Or if we want to go back to a more philosophical framing, mind the Pascal's wager, but don't let it turn into Pascal's mugging.

RyanDri3957V

Anyone know last update for Windows 7 before the "End Of Life" date?

Link please :(  I already Google it and it just give me s**t

GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, RyanDri3957V said:

Anyone know last update for Windows 7 before the "End Of Life" date?

Link please :(  I already Google it and it just give me s**t

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4534310/windows-7-update-kb4534310

This one I believe. The security only update is the KB4534314 one.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 1
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
1 hour ago, Payne said:

Don’t see the option to sign in anonymously. Where is that?

It looks like the latest update removed that option as it used to be there when you signed in

1 hour ago, Cameron Star said:

I think you have to sign out and then sign back in after ticking the option.

it used to be but it's not there anymore...

ea9fb47342df8b867a2494435ac9aa2b.png

Maybe @Spider-Vice can explain more

Edited by ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
sivispacem
4 hours ago, NaidRaida said:

Do you think a PSU will survive, beeing operated WITHOUT the integrated fan?

Most modern ones don't even run the fan below 50-60% load. If you're keeping it under that sort of level then yes, absolutely.

• Like 3

Most modern slash decent ones I'd say lol. If it's some cheap one I wouldn't trust it at all, especially as the cheaper ones are the ones that are more likely to take other components out with them when they die.

If it's a pricey build I don't think I'd risk it personally.

• Like 1
NaidRaida
2 hours ago, sivispacem said:

Most modern ones don't even run the fan below 50-60% load. If you're keeping it under that sort of level then yes, absolutely.

Thanks for your help, thanks Jason. I can give some more details:

My concerns about removing the fan (it most likely have a broken bearing which eratically starts to rattle) is because of the heat it may produce under heavy load and the risk of fire (220VAC). Usually I would simply refund the PSU at the shop I bought it (warranty) but that's not possible right now, shops are closed, and due to the fact it was absolutely quiete for months now I didn't bothered it for long time.

But I'm not even sure how much load it really has. I don't think it is under full load, full load probably means playing games, there are no other intensive tasks I use. I upgraded my PSU as I installed the last GPU, a MSI RTX2070Super. It's a 700W BeQuiet Pure Power 11 PSU. Recommended for this GPU was 650W+ (really?), the old PSU was a ten year old 500W Cougar PSU which did a great job. Same machine but the Cougar had "only" a MSI GTX970 max. to power up. I believe the actual PSU has a permanently running fan, it also rattles when the whole pc is just idling. Sometimes I think it works better and more silent when the computer is heated up... but it's very erratic. Only thing I'm sure about is, that this is mechanical noise, you can slightly feel it when you touch the PSU casing, it sadly has an enormous resonance in the whole pc casing.

I don't suppose the 700W are needed fully with my system. When I use these online calculators, it mostly say that 700W is way way enough for this system. A lot of this hardware is totally oudated meanwhile anyway:

- MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming Mobo

- MSI RTX2070Super

- i7-4790 Macho fan (non K)

- 16 GB RAM Standard Corsair Vengeance

- 1 TB Barracuda bullsh*t HDD

- Standard DVD drive

- Three casing fans

- No LED or other useless stuff

HWMonitor also gives no indication that the PSU is under full or heavy load: CPU is around 80W full load, GPU is around 215W full load (as advertised)... so there should be enough power left for the other parts.

I always wondered about this fan inside the PSU, it practically has no big airflow, there is a tight dust filter on the casing air inlet (bottom side). I tested on of these inlet filters which was also mounted at the front of the casing and there is no real airflow because the mesh is very tight. I removed the mesh at the front cover for better air flow. This means much more dust inside the computer but the temps are way better, the airflow is much better. Now, the PSU fan is silent again, as if it is afraid of beeing removed. But when it's rattling all day long, this is psycho terror... I cleaned it very deeply and put some penetrating lubricant on the bearing, that helped alot while it was in "rattle mode" once. I don't understand why it is silent for months, and then starts to rattle suddenly. But I found no other noise source inside the pc, all other fans were stopped shortly manually but the rattling persists. The fan itself is -what wonder- also a BeQuiet product.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by NaidRaida
sivispacem
10 hours ago, NaidRaida said:

My concerns about removing the fan (it most likely have a broken bearing which eratically starts to rattle) is because of the heat it may produce under heavy load and the risk of fire (220VAC). 

I wouldn't be overly concerned with these. The fact that the fan is spinning up at all suggests you're exceeding circa 50% load but I would hazard not by much. A 2070S and typical desktop processor is likely to be drawing maybe 350-400W.

My biggest concern would be invalidating the warranty by cracking it open. 

You might be best served by ordering a replacement via next day delivery then returning the failed one for a refund when stores reopen.

• Like 1
NaidRaida

^^Thanks! Would you generally recommend BeQuiet PSUs or another manufacturer? Do you have a favourite brand for PSUs? The one from your signature is about double the price of mine as I bought it.

I don't think my PSU is a trashy one, but there are probably better PSUs on the market. I always considered BeQuiet products as standard stuff... usually reliable (except my fan) but nothing special...

Well, it seems today every component manufacturer also sells PSUs. But I can remember a cheap computer I bought completely assembled and the first thing that went out was the PSU because this

was obviously cheap trash with no markings, no brand name written on it... just saying "Made in China". Made in China makes me nervous these days...

sivispacem

The Be Quiet stuff is generally really good. The Pure Power 11 is a good PSU to be fair, I reckon you've just got unlucky. Not as good as the Dark Power but still decent.

I'd also recommend looking at the Corsair RMi/HXi ranges, Seasonic Prime and EVGA P2 range. Personally I'm a big Corsair fan but I tend to go absolutely top end (hence the AX in my system). Though it must be said my AX is a good 7 years old now!

• Like 1
Spider-Vice

Both my old Corsair and my current Seasonic PSU has zero-RPM fan modes, and not even during gaming they kick in much, it depends on how much heat is generated and on the load that the PSU is getting from the PC's components. In my new case, not even during gaming the PSU heats up much as it's at the bottom of the case, isolated from the rest of the components. In my old setup, the fan kicked in often because the PSU was on top and was also an air exhaust as a result.

I do have my Seasonic's fan on always-on mode though just for peace of mind, it's not needed, but their quiet fan mode is what it says... quiet. Can't even hear the difference.

• Like 1
NaidRaida
6 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

[...] just got unlucky. [...]

Hahaha, that's right. When you look at another case fan I didn't cleaned for long time: that was not a fan anymore, it was a whole gigantic peace of dust...

But it worked without problems, and silently - it shoveled it's way thru the megaton of dust. With zero air flow of course. A real loyal hero fan. Maybe the PSU fan is just too clean. :colgate:

• Like 1
universetwisters

Is it possible to recall a loan before payments are made on it because I loaned a friend of mine 900 dollars to buy a car and they’re stalling, acting like a dick, and probably using that money to go to New York for Christmas and I be livid

• excuseme 1
CRAZY AL WARD
7 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Is it possible to recall a loan before payments are made on it because I loaned a friend of mine 900 dollars to buy a car and they’re stalling, acting like a dick, and probably using that money to go to New York for Christmas and I be livid

That guy hustled you good if he did... As for your question; i think it's possible by bringing the matter to the place you got the loan from, don't quote me on that tho. I'm just guessing

Also, Merry Christmas in advance everyone!

• Like 1
NaidRaida
On 12/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, sivispacem said:

The Be Quiet stuff is generally really good. The Pure Power 11 is a good PSU to be fair, I reckon you've just got unlucky. Not as good as the Dark Power but still decent.

I'd also recommend looking at the Corsair RMi/HXi ranges, Seasonic Prime and EVGA P2 range. Personally I'm a big Corsair fan but I tend to go absolutely top end (hence the AX in my system). Though it must be said my AX is a good 7 years old now!

The rattling fan now got a bit too annoying... so I had to make a decision:

I forgot about taking chance of warranty, broke the sealed screw and removed the broken fan entirely. I've taken the old PSU fan (from the old Cougar 550, ten year old) and installed it into the "BeQuiet" 700. I guess the PSU fans all have the same size as it had the exact same size as the broken one (120mm I suppose, probably standard size for any standard sized PSU). 12VDC/0.3A removed (BeQuiet), and 12VDC/0.23A (Cougar) installed, both of them two-wire models with constant speeds. I'm an industrial electrician and also have worked alot on eletronics so that wasn't that big deal at all. Unfortunately I'm very badly equipped with tools and stuff. Only way I could do it was by carefully cutting the wires, strip them with a hunting knife and twist them together tightly, additionaly I isolated and fixed them with strong duct tape on the outside of the fan casing. It was impossible to remove the fan's plug from the BeQuiet cause it was also glued to the PCB on a very tricky spot, the Cougar plug was removable but I guess it wouldn't have fitted anyway, looked like a different shape... It works, it's silent - I only hope the twisted wires don't come loose again until I buy a new PSU. If I had the proper tools, I would've prefered soldering/crimping and shrinking such small wires but for the moment duct tape hopefully does the job. I better reinstall the fire detector again aswell... but I have no batteries left! I need some more duct tape I guess. Let's see if this thing will survive 2020. I hope the best and expect the worst. Merry X-Mas! :santa:

Edited by NaidRaida
  • Like 1
sivispacem

Nice job. I know quite a few of the manufacturers use nonstandard connectors with their PSU fans to stop people doing basically exactly what you did so seems like a great outcome. 

• Like 1
NaidRaida

Since you mentioned Seasonic: I've found a Seasonic Prime TX700, a fanless 700W PSU about 230€. It has some good reviews, titanium class. At minimum I'd want to get one with at least platinum standard now (also with fan).

But it seems they have also problems with delivery, alot of Corsair and beQuiet models are not in stock, that's why I accidently found this relatively expensive fanless variant. Fanless would be good for my duct tape resevoir too. :whistle:

sivispacem

Not many reviews for the Fanless series but believe they're based on the PX series which are fantastic PSUs. 

• Like 1
Kngee1899

Wtf? If some one lives in pakistan, is this really happening there? f*cking disturbing. Kids turned to look like rats? wtf

"At Gujrat’s Shah Daula Shrine, children are abused in a very dramatic manner, where good, healthy children are transformed into what they call ‘rats’."

"When the children at this shrine are born, an iron ring is put over their heads, so that their brain, head and face cannot grow, while the rest of the body expands as per normal."

https://millichronicle.com/2019/02/children-are-transformed-into-rats-at-a-sufi-shrine-in-pakistan/

Kngee1899
Just now, paperbagdude said:

Ain't that microcephaly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcephaly

Hide contents

Zika Virus Has Been Linked To Microcephaly In Brazil. Is The State Helping  Affected Families? : Goats and Soda : NPR

No it says they are purposely making them look like they have something like that, by placing ring around theyr head when their little so they grow up looking like that so they can be used as beggars to collect money. so they turn kids looking like they have microcephaly etc to collect money in street as beggars. idk

It may well be, but there's no denying that atrocities like this do happen all over the world in the name of culture and tradition. Let's be honest with ourselves here, "tradition" is really just a loose translation of "peer pressure from dead people". This site also discusses the practice and echoes the excerpt from the PPC (Pakistan penal code):

As per Section 328 of the Pakistan penal code (PPC), deserting a child below the age of 12 years by parents is a crime. At the shrine of Shah Daula, the first child of such devotees are abandoned on the first or the second day of their birth. Besides, Section 332 and 335 punishes disfiguring a functional organ of any individual but the business of ‘artificial microcephaly’ goes unabated under the pretext of making infertile women fertile. Moreover, forcing children into begging is punishable with a maximum of 5 years of imprisonment and a fine of PKR 1,00,000 under Section 36 of the Punjab Destitute and Neglected Children Act 2004.

Although Pakistan is a member nation of the United Nations and liable under Sections 23 and 37 of the United Nations Convention on Rights of the Child 1990 (UNCRC) to prevent the child abuse going unabated under the garb of ‘tradition’, little or no efforts have been made in this regard. Lack of consciousness amongst the public regarding human rights abuse, the complicity of governmental bodies, and the Council of Islamic Ideology needs to be held accountable.