• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

I'm going to be as brief as possible here. I dislike gun culture. I think the UK does just fine as it is, because things are volatile and dangerous enough at the moment without handing out firearms. P

I wasn't able to grow a beard until I was about 25 and all of a sudden I feel like I woke up with one. Genetics can be fickle. Also, there's no guarantee that just because your immediate relatives are folically gifted, you will be too. The body can change way past puberty, so just because you've hit 18 it doesn't mean you're stuck with the physical attributes you have now. There's also every chance you're just one of those people that can't grow a beard, or look absolutely ridiculous if you try, much in the same way people fight going bald by growing every bit of hair on their head possible to disguise it. If you still struggle with growing a beard in your 20s, maybe it's not for you.

• Like 1
Mr JoeStalin

I hit my puberty late around 14 years so its considerable isn't it?

Found this on Google, mine is just smaller than his

VSoNYOi.png

Edited by NileshKumar
The Time Ranger

Ealier today there were about 20 identicial topics created in gen chat by the same user, i'm assuming by a spammer or bot, the post itself was mainly gibberish with lots of links, my question is what's the endgame here, will I get a virus if I click the links, or does it redirect me to some scam? Also what exactly are bots, who's behind them and how do they work?

Mr JoeStalin
36 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

Ealier today there were about 20 identicial topics created in gen chat by the same user, i'm assuming by a spammer or bot, the post itself was mainly gibberish with lots of links, my question is what's the endgame here, will I get a virus if I click the links, or does it redirect me to some scam? Also what exactly are bots, who's behind them and how do they work?

Yup I saw, but those links were advertising and lot of stuff was written in Hinglish. Just the reason I hate such men from my country, few defame the nation. 

GhettoJesus
7 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

I hit my puberty late around 14 years so its considerable isn't it?

Found this on Google, mine is just smaller than his

VSoNYOi.png

Facial hair can take its time. It sounds like you have the genes for it so I wouldnt worry myself too much.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 1

Wondering if anyone remembers wether it was animaniacs or tiny toons where there was a girl who always sung tra lala lala lala la la then shouted a word like 'serve' or something at the end depending on the subject of the cartoon. Google's no help. That song keeps popping into my head. Really bugging me.

Cutter De Blanc
6 hours ago, JON22 said:

Wondering if anyone remembers wether it was animaniacs or tiny toons where there was a girl who always sung tra lala lala lala la la then shouted a word like 'serve' or something at the end depending on the subject of the cartoon. Google's no help. That song keeps popping into my head. Really bugging me.

Sounds like animaniacs, Tiny Toons didnt have too many musical numbers. I think the only human girl in TT was Elmyra

• Like 1
On 9/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

Sounds like animaniacs, Tiny Toons didnt have too many musical numbers. I think the only human girl in TT was Elmyra

I managed to find that Elmyra after asking this question but I can't find any of her singing that tralala lala lala la la. I'm wondering if it was another cartoon with the same voice actress. Thanks anyway for replying.

I had to look up who he was, but this sentence on his Wikipedia piqued my interest:

He stressed the need for a revolution in the psyche of every human being and emphasised that such revolution cannot be brought about by any external entity, be it religious, political, or social.

I don't think he's too off the mark with this. You won't trigger any sort of change in people through external means. That has to come from within, from a desire to want to change. You're not going to get large scale results from people by trying to influence them, and the results you get this way aren't worth the time of day. Unfortunately, I can't relate to much else he claims to have experienced. I think that was an over-emphasised fever dream refined by somebody with a flair for creative thinking and social manipulation. I don't think he was either a mad man nor a genius, no more so than any other influential individual from any other point of history. He saw a window of opportunity and dove through it.

Thank you for replying and even the effort to look it up. I can also absolutely understand why people refuse to look deep into such things, like my mother for example (mother quote: now get the hell outa here with your buddha crap whatever it is!).

But my mum is not a bad person, no way, she has only a lack of interest, that's all. So as I have almost none interest in modern economy. Your quote from JK is imho closely related to the quote of Morpheus from the picture Matrix, as he said something like "I can show you the door, but you have to go through it by your own". Because of this I loved this movie so much, not the effects. I recently (JK died long ago) watched some discussions on YT between JK (I call him a philosopher), David Bohm (physicist), Rupert Sheldrake (biologist) and John Hidley (psychiatrist). This gave me alot of stress relief, by suffering from depressions. And that is exactly what JK said, with your mind so full of thoughts that it become depressed, you are totally unable to go through this mental door (whatever this door means to you, is entirely up to oneself). The door has lost it's handle or knob. You see it, but you can't use it, something is missing, either the key or the handle or the lock. Realising this, that my mind is extraordinary overloaded, gave me a great stress relief. My original reply was much longer, but putting details about depression into public can trigger other sensitive people, so I cut it out in the end.

Stay well Rhoda, so as your loved ones. :p

Edited by NaidRaida
wording
3 hours ago, trip said:

Care to explain why Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only puzzling if you do not full grasp the full implications of the holly trinity. God is God Father, God Son, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus was born of Mary, so of course Jesus has a belly button, and since God Father and God Son are one and the same, God must have a belly button. In summary, Eve has a belly button because Adam has a belly button, because God has a belly button, because Jesus has a belly button, because Mary has a belly button, because Eve has a belly button. Time paradoxes are like that. Sometimes you wipe out existence, and some times, you end up with a belly button. I think we got off light.

• Like 3
  • KEKW 3

Lore aside, this painting is a classic depiction of Adam and Eve by Lucas Cranach The Elder in 1528. My knowledge of biology only goes so far back, but it would be safe to assume that some functions of the body would be relatively mysterious to people in the 16th century. In those days, it may not have been abundantly clear to people what the function of a navel was or what its presence implied. Of course, even laymen, anti-vaxxers and Trump supporters know what it does these days, but I would not be in the least bit surprised if this wasn't common knowledge when the painting was produced. Cranach was a keen artist from an early age, and his talents were not limited to painting - during his early life he took up woodcutting, engraving and even designing the coins for the electorate. Simply put, Cranach was proud of his work and had such a clear passion. It's only natural that the representation of Adam and Eve would have belly buttons because that's the most clear and understandable representation of what the first humans would be. As it happens, artists of the 16th century were not usually theologians or biologists, so this is clearly a simple oversight. The models used for this painting's reference obviously had belly buttons, and they were left in because why wouldn't they be? Adam and Eve as a story is a parable and is not intended to be an accurate representation of the first humans on Earth from a literal standpoint.

14 hours ago, Rhoda said:

My knowledge of biology only goes so far back, but it would be safe to assume that some functions of the body would be relatively mysterious to people in the 16th century.

The umbilical, which connects infant to the placenta, has to be physically cut during childbirth. Connecting the fact that there was a tube sticking out of infants belly, and that this is where child has belly button does not take a great leap of reasoning. Understanding of where belly button comes from probably predates spoken language.

Now, you might be trying to make an argument that this is something that would be known to midwives, and not general population. But first of all, nearly everyone had children, so most people would get presented with this information in the most direct way. And more importantly, artists by that point in time would study anatomy extensively and often be in some way involved with medicine. Lucas Chranach certainly was. I find the idea that he simply didn't know the connection between childbirth and belly button to be very unlikely. Far more probable is that there was simply an established tradition of how Adam and Eve are to be depicted, and he followed it.

• Like 1

Quite true. I'll be honest, I was mostly carrying on with myself as a bit of a meme. I genuinely have no idea and I decided to pull something out of my arse to continue the joke. You're right though.

Here's one - you are caught behind the barrel of a gun next to a near perfect clone of yourself. In order to stop yourself from getting shot, what distinguishing physical feature do you show that you assume the cloning process missed to prove that it's really you?

sivispacem

It's gotta be scars. Assuming your clone was vat grown and had an abnormally fast gestation and aging process they're likely to be lacking in any of those distinguishing injury marks. 

• Like 1
Wayne Kerr
13 hours ago, Rhoda said:

Here's one - you are caught behind the barrel of a gun next to a near perfect clone of yourself. In order to stop yourself from getting shot, what distinguishing physical feature do you show that you assume the cloning process missed to prove that it's really you?

Both my arms look normal otherwise but when outstretched one arm appears straight while the other arm appears somewhat bent. Some who I know are familiar with this feature of mine but I'd assume that since my arms look normal or similar otherwise whoever cloned me may not know of this and so I'd have both me and the clone extend our arms and I would hope the clone would have regular straight arms which would show that that isn't me and hopefully this way I avoid getting shot! 

NaidRaida

If a superior extraterrestrial biological entity (EBE) would appear on earth, what consequences would you assume in terms of society, economy, religion or anything other important?

Scenario premises:

-This scenario explicitly excludes the possibility of "it" beeing von-Neumann-probes or anything not biological.

-This scenario could (but must not) include a governmental announcement before first appearance.

-This scenario explicitly must have an appearance, which is absolutely undoubtable believable (no way to ridicule, no conspiracy in any way or media fake).

-This scenario explicitly excludes the possibility of the EBEs beeing malicious with intent ("invasion scenario" or similar).

Edited by NaidRaida
On 10/8/2020 at 8:20 PM, NaidRaida said:

If a superior extraterrestrial biological entity (EBE) would appear on earth, what consequences would you assume in terms of society, economy, religion or anything other important?

Anything that can make its way here from outside Sol, and that's pretty much a given for anything intelligent and extraterrestrial at this point, is going to outclass us technologically many orders of magnitude worse than colonists did the new world natives. The least disruptive option is that they stop by, catalogue us, or whatever, and go on their way not considering the place worth any sort of exploitation. That will still send ripples through all aspects of society, and yeah, I suspect religion will take a beating, especially Abrahamic religions, and that might trigger some revolutions and wars here and there, but it's mostly business as usual.

If they opt to stay, though? Or establish trade routes? We're done as civilization. At best, we become part of their civilization, at worst eradicated, and it doesn't even depend on them being hostile or not. So discussing our society, religion, and culture at this point is meaningless. It'd be their society, religion, and culture, and how we fit in, if at all.

I don't think there's anything in between. No transformative option for our culture from such an encounter. It's either a mild influence from a brief contact or a complete destruction of our culture from a prolonged one.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
NaidRaida

Okay, I can understand your points. All logic. I like how some astronauts just say: Best thing would be: they just fly by, without further notice. Which is most logic, as you and me also don't talk to ants in the wood. With absolute superior drive technology (premise) I can also see no logic argument for invasion or interest in mineral deposits. If they have some kind of humor, they maybe just vaporize the planet just for fun. You and me also don't mind putting some nasty firecrackers between the ants. But I like such mind experiments. If I could stand a direct contact? Psychologist might say: The sheer terror (shock) of an encounter would give you a complete nervous breakdown. But that depends alot on our (media-)view right now, if it look like a monster from a movie, our reaction would be appropriate (shock&chaos). But if it look like Boris Johnson during windy weather, we might just laugh. Anyway, I would risk that -maybe last- breakdown. Just by knowing there's more than only empty room, or no room at all, or only dust and fusion, radiation or just bacteria and another lame quasar. That's kind of boring. Maybe the universe is boring, just another theory. Thanks for replying.

Edited by NaidRaida
  • Like 1
Wayne Kerr
51 minutes ago, NaidRaida said:

Anyway, I would risk that -maybe last- breakdown. Just by knowing there's more than only empty room, or no room at all, or only dust and fusion, radiation or just bacteria and another lame quasar. That's kind of boring. Maybe the universe is boring, just another theory.

This reminded me of that quote that goes like "Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying". While this discussion is on, would like to know opinions here on what you think is more terrifying? 

Edited by Utopianthumbs
NaidRaida

^Uff, I felt asleep while thinking about a proper answer. Typing this and typing that, but this goes way beyond this topic i think to properly express this.

You can play all kinds of scenarios in your head. Both scenarios are full of fear. Anyway, I personally search for answers in both ways because both approaches are pure theory.

Edited by NaidRaida
  • KEKW 1
7 hours ago, NaidRaida said:

With absolute superior drive technology (premise) I can also see no logic argument for invasion or interest in mineral deposits.

Again, I kind of think of colonists and natives. An alien civilization might have ways to exploit us or our resources that we aren't even imagining right now. Earth is by no means unique, and in the grand scheme, intelligent life is probably all over the place, but universe is big, and if they can "only" travel a few hundred light years, maybe there's something here worth fighting or negotiating for because there are only a few places with such resources within reach. But whether they take a militant or peaceful approach in this, we're done. It might not even be a bad thing if we get assimilated into an alien culture, but it is, nonetheless, end of human civilization.

• Like 1
GhettoJesus

Anyone here uses mild shampoo (shampoos that are sulfate free)? My scalps is rather sensitive so I really need to switch. I am mainly looking for ones that work well against dandruff and greasy hair but I will take any mild shampoo recommendations.

Edited by GhettoJesus
Wayne Kerr

^ hope you don't mind me asking my question in the middle like this, just that this has been annoying me for a while

Ever since I purchased my current earphones my phone volume would randomly go down to mute every now and then when connected to the earphones. It was quite irritating but me being a cheapskate would tolerate it, but now the opposite happened and my phone volume turned all the way up. This is extremely irritating and while I'll get new earphones I'm wondering if someone can explain how the phone volume randomly changes on its own like this, what's going on? 

The Time Ranger
On 10/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, GhettoJesus said:

Anyone here uses mild shampoo (shampoos that are sulfate free)? My scalps is rather sensitive so I really need to switch. I am mainly looking for ones that work well against dandruff and greasy hair but I will take any mild shampoo recommendations.

I have very bad dandruff due to eczema, I have to use gentle shampoos, I find the Elave range excellent.

GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, The Time Ranger said:

I have very bad dandruff due to eczema, I have to use gentle shampoos, I find the Elave range excellent.

Cool I will check it out once it's back on stock on Amazon.

• Like 1
Wayne Kerr

How did the coronavirus spread to this extent? Even considering the lack of a vaccine I don't understand how it became so widespread that almost every country is suffering from it. What made it different from swine flu which also threatened but never grew this dangerous and one day seemingly just disappeared from the news? 

Edited by Utopianthumbs
paperbagdude
38 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

How did the coronavirus spread to this extent? Even considering the lack of a vaccine I don't understand how it became so widespread that almost every country is suffering from it. What made it different from swine flu which also threatened but never grew this dangerous and one day seemingly just disappeared from the news? 

Good question. I guess it comes down to incubation time.

A/H1N1 had a incubation time of about a a couple of days to about a week, so those infected would know of their condition earlier, while people infected with SARS-CoV-2 will show symptoms about 1 - 2 weeks after infection, if they show any symptoms while remaining contagious.

As the logic goes: the sooner you are aware that you're sick, the sooner you can self-isolate and track down those close to you that might be infected, which can be difficult if you're down with coronavirus.

I'm not very familiar with the history of the 2009 swine flu pandemic, but we got to consider the international attitude to the outbreak in Wuhan. Most weren't too concerned with it, as it only seemed to be an epidemic which the Chinese government should be able to contain, but as it started showing up in Austria and Italy and spreading to the rest of Europe, everyone in the EU knew the Wuhan outbreak was greatly underestimated.

Again, this is just pure speculation, but as a conclusion, the reason why coronavirus has gotten out of hand is down to its genetic makeup versus the one of H1N1, and how greatly underestimated the severity of the disease was in the beginning.

• Like 1