• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

Yeah well get ćucked by foreign alphabets, GTAForums

@Secura that's one crazy video and a half. Thanks for sharing

Yeah, it's one thing to say from outside that it's a very simple decision to make, I didn't actually consider how it would be when put in such a situation. After seeing how the participants behaved, if I were in that place I don't know what I would do, I probably would have ran out of the room for help ignoring the command to remain inside so I can absolve myself of responsibility haha. 

Maybe another way to look at it is instead of 5 v 1 what if it was 5 v 3 or 4, would it be so easy to pull the lever then? But I kind of think the dilemma here is not what is the "better" choice to make, but rather whether one is bold enough to make a choice in the first place, if that makes sense

Edited by Utopianthumbs
22 hours ago, sivispacem said:

There's enough hatred and petty infighting on this forum to fill a medium sized celebrity family. I don't think we want to be encouraging more.

A disturbing answer. Is there any way to totally disable the rating function on a single account by the user himself?

Edited by NaidRaida
18 hours ago, NaidRaida said:

A disturbing answer. Is there any way to totally disable the rating function on a single account by the user himself?

Nope. 

3 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Do you put a full stop/period before or after an emoticon? 

Grammatically correct would be this, I think :dozing:.

But that looks awkward, I think. :sarcasm:

Anyway, I would prefer this variant (with correct use of capitals!) :p Or the second variant :inlove:

Is that what you ment? :monocle: (in this case I think you can't do it without a necessary q-mark)

The worst thing I can imagine is one endless sentence, full of emojis, without any capitals and without any puntuaction marks at all. You can read that, of course, but it takes longer to gather the information within the text 🥵

Additionally, I like to avoid the emos completely, I'm an old fart. Text is about information, not emotion. I try to separate this as best as I can, depending on the context, it's not always that easy. But I use them aswell, usually when it's simply funny.

🤪

Edited by NaidRaida
  • Like 1
  • YEE 1

I'm confused now 🤣 

Personally I put fullstops after the emoji like this sentence of yours-

19 minutes ago, NaidRaida said:

Grammatically correct would be this, I think :dozing:.

Even I think this is grammatically correct 

But I've seen many use fullstops before the emoji like this-

20 minutes ago, NaidRaida said:

But that looks awkward, I think. :sarcasm:

Perhaps this second variant is the more clean looking one but then if you have to start a new sentence following the emoji it looks a bit awkward unless you put the sentence below and not after the previous sentence, if I am making sense. 

For sure, emojis kind of mess up the sentence structure for me at least in terms of punctuation, but I still like to use them haha so I was wondering what's the right way to put the fullstop. I guess you are saying to put the fullstop before the emoji?

You're confused? I'm sitting at home for four months now, my own coroni "information collecting/de-socialize process". But, it's comming close to jail, with this small appartment. *eyesrollemoji <<< another way, yay!

Yeah, beeing confused seems the normal process this year. Don't wonder! Namaste. If above comment made you laugh, that's half the prize. 😊

On the matter: No matter how you do it, in small (often funny) comments or 'punchlines', emojis seem totally appropriate and acceptable. In a personal discussion or debate (much more text) I think it's different. In a dissertation they're inacceptable.

I also never used an emoji, when writing an email to the boss like 'You're a piece of sh*t, I've alread done sixty hrs this week!' The circumstances affect the appearance and interpretation a lot. Psychology, like always. *stonedsmileey lol

Edited by NaidRaida

Emojis/emoticons (delete as applicable) always go after a sentence. They punctuate a statement. Having a face before a period looks unnatural and wrong. Having a face afterwards makes sense, even if your choice of icon does not. 🗿

1 hour ago, Rhoda said:

Emojis/emoticons (delete as applicable) always go after a sentence. They punctuate a statement. Having a face before a period looks unnatural and wrong. Having a face afterwards makes sense, even if your choice of icon does not. 🗿

But what if you want to follow up that emoticon sentence with another sentence? :blink: Like this? Doesn't it look more awkward? Or is it still correct?

I guess when you use an emoticon you have to put the next sentence below and not after. :/

Like this perhaps?

Edited by Utopianthumbs

I mean, you do you, I'm not about to police anybody's use of them - I barely use them myself. I will say though the first example looks better. I couldn't tell you why.

Every once in a while I remember MSN Messenger and my brain makes an attempt to stop breathing in order to suffocate me.

rbqBPxX.jpg

On 11/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, Utopianthumbs said:

Do you put a full stop/period before or after an emoticon? 

That depends on whether emoji is part of a sentence or a sentence. For example, in the sentence, "I'm home, darling," there can be a substitution resulting in a complete sentence, "I'm home, 💗." In this case, the heart emoji is a vocative expression and is delimited by commas, same way the word "darling" was in the first example. And because it is a part of the sentence, a full stop follows. In contrast, "I'm home. 💗" is also grammatically valid. Here, the heart emoji is a standalone expression of a thought and may be considered a separate sentence. A sentence consisting only of emojis would not, usually, end in a full stop. Or, in this case, since it's being quoted, the punctuation omitted is a comma.

Also, I'm making this all up as I go, but I hope it sounds convincing.

Thank for the answers. I got one more question, last one for this page, promise. (edit: whoops new page :pp

I noticed Vladimir Putin is trending on social media, it seems there are rumours about him thinking of resigning amid fears he may have Parkinson's. Is this just bullsh*t or is there some truth to it or could it be another North Korea like situation where we don't know the truth exactly? 

Edited by Utopianthumbs
16 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

I noticed Vladimir Putin is trending on social media, it seems there are rumours about him thinking of resigning amid fears he may have Parkinson's. Is this just bullsh*t or is there some truth to it or could it be another North Korea like situation where we don't know the truth exactly? 

I saw absolutely nothing about it on Russian-speaking pages or posts. So I doubt it very much. However, he did very recently push for some laws that would grant him immunity for life after he does retire from the post. The timing on that does make it feel a little more plausible.

Normally, though, I would expect some sort of a replacement marked. I don't see anyone in president's circles who could possibly take over. Current prime minister is absolutely not fit for the job. If there's any truth to the rumor, the first indication of it from Russian gov't will be appointment of a new prime minister.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, Utopianthumbs said:

[...] Vladimir Putin [...] thinking of resigning amid fears he may have Parkinson's. [...]

He seems a type of guy that will still rock the show even as some sort of Russian Michael J. Fox. I didn't heard about Parkinson (Putinson? lol), but I've read about a rumor he may "suffer" from a kind of Asperger, but that is a wide wide area.

Edited by NaidRaida
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
8 hours ago, Cameron Star said:

I have a stupid question I thought of when seeing my neighbour do the lawn earlier: does cutting your lawn make your garden sink lower? The grass pulls nutrients and stuff from the earth to grow, then you cut it and throw it in the compost bin so the mass is lost and not returned to the earth.

No because you're not actually pulling the grass itself out of the ground, Think of it like giving the grass a buzzcut haircut, Even though you buzzed your head your hair follicles are still there and can keep growing...

Does that make sense?

Edited by ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
2 hours ago, ṼirulenⱦEqừinox said:

No because you're not actually pulling the grass itself out of the ground, Think of it like giving the grass a buzzcut haircut, Even though you buzzed your head your hair follicles are still there and can keep growing...

Does that make sense?

The problem is that the hair for the follicles has to come from somewhere - in that case they're getting their mass delivered to them at the root, and since we're constantly feeding ourselves we replenish lost mass, so no change there.

As for a lawn...well, I imagine it'll depend on environmental factors, though realistically, most plant mass is carbon from the air taken in as CO2, and most of the mass they take from the ground is water - most soil mass isn't stuff that plants use. That said, they do still taken a small amount of other stuff from the soil, and if that isn't replenished in any way, then I can imagine it getting a miniscule amount lower...but any observation in height is probably going to be based on the water level more than anything.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Cameron Star said:

That makes sense. I know mass can come from other places like decaying stuff and rain and I think lightning disperses nitrogen or something.

Most of the added mass is going to come from dust and sand carried by wind and water and decaying organic matter, primarily from whatever cut grass ended up on the ground. Likewise, most of the lost mass is going to be due to erosion, carried away by either wind or water, and depending if you're in the low spot or a high spot, the net effect will be either terrain getting higher or lower respectively. In general, erosion is going to flatten everything out, and that's going to be the dominant effect.

And what lightning does is creates nitrogen oxides which can dissolve in rain water, making nitric acid, and make it into the soil. In the soil, acid reacts with whatever compounds that may be present making various nitrates, and these can be absorbed by plant for nutrition. There are also nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil that can convert nitrogen into ammonia directly. Both of these processes will, indeed, add some mass to the soil, but again, negligible compared to erosion processes.

• Like 2
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
7 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

How reliable is the Ishihara test in determining if you are colour blind? 

How Reliable is the Ishihara Test?

Source: Retina-Vitreus/Journal of Retina-Vitreous . 2019, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p251-258. 8p.

Author(s): IŞIK, Murat

Abstract: Purpose: Ishihara Pseudoisochromatic-plates first published in 1917 is the most preferred test to diagnose colour-blindness although the test has many drawbacks which may affect test results. The aims are to examine drawbacks of the Ishihara test, to investigate the ophthalmologists' colour vision test usage habits and views, to analyse the result parameters such as individuals' response time for per plate and total test duration.

Methods: To investigate the ophthalmologists' views, a 12-item questionnaire was applied to 140 ophthalmologists who have professional experiences in colour-vision tests in daily practice. To measure response time duration of per plate and total test duration, a brand-new Ishihara 38-plate version has been scanned and applied on 250 individuals through a PC. Results: Almost all the participants (98.57%) were using Ishihara pseudoisochromatic-plates in their daily routine clinical practice even though 85% of them believe that the Ishihara test does not meet their needs at least partially.

They also believe that the plates deform in time and lose their accuracy. The standard deviations of the total test duration of per plate are quite high which means the total test duration for the Ishihara test cannot be standardized.

Conclusions: It is a matter of debate to use the Ishihara test with so many drawbacks which some of them may affect test results directly. Ishihara instruction about time is one of the contentious issues to decide if it should be followed during the test. For more definite results, the study should be applied on more individuals and the results should be compared with Anomaloscope.

This was written in the Retina-Vitreus/Journal of Retina-Vitreous in 2019

But don't do the test or administer it to someone else yourself it should only be done by a professionally who knows how to accurately read the results

6 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

How random was that?

You do realize you're in "Ask a Question" thread right? Where pretty much all questions are random as most of us aren't thinking about the same question being asked.

Edited by ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
  • Like 1
  • YEE 1
5 hours ago, ṼirulenⱦEqừinox said:

But don't do the test or administer it to someone else yourself it should only be done by a professionally who knows how to accurately read the results

Thanks. I had done it myself and failed miserably. Funny thing is I can distinguish between traffic lights just fine and generally I don't seem to have a problem distinguishing between red and green, but when I took this test, except for the first number i couldn't see any other number lol so was wondering if it will affect my chances to drive or something like that. Yeah, I gotta get it done professionally if I want to be sure

11 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

How random was that?

How random is this response? I did the test though not in a professional capacity and was curious to know if it is an accurate indicator of colourblindness. 

• KEKW 1
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
21 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Thanks. I had done it myself and failed miserably. Funny thing is I can distinguish between traffic lights just fine and generally I don't seem to have a problem distinguishing between red and green, but when I took this test, except for the first number i couldn't see any other number lol so was wondering if it will affect my chances to drive or something like that. Yeah, I gotta get it done professionally if I want to be sure

Nah there are plenty of people who are color blind and still drive as all stop lights are pretty much universal with the top light meaning stop. middle meaning be ready to stop and bottom is go and you can still read signs even if you can't see the color.

58 minutes ago, ṼirulenⱦEqừinox said:

Nah there are plenty of people who are color blind and still drive as all stop lights are pretty much universal with the top light meaning stop. middle meaning be ready to stop and bottom is go and you can still read signs even if you can't see the color.

True, but laws are laws. Some jurisdictions have fairly strict laws on color blindness. For example, some are fine even if your vision is monochromatic, others only require you distinguish between red and green, and yet others require you to have normal color vision to be allowed to drive. It all depends on local regulations.

• Like 2

New York state wildlife expert Richard Thomas found that a woodchuck could (and does) chuck around 35 cubic feet of dirt in the course of digging a burrow. Thomas reasoned that if a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would chuck an amount equivalent to the weight of the dirt, or 700 pounds.

What's the best OTT service in India? 

I don't watch much TV apart from cricket but I'm thinking of changing that. I've narrowed it down to three options- Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+Hotstar. The problem is based on what I've researched, most of what I plan to watch is divided between these 3, for example Sopranos and the Wire is on Hotstar, Breaking Bad is on Netflix and some of Nolan's movies are on Amazon Prime. So I'm really confused on what to choose now. 

I'm now unsure if I should even do this, but can anyone who's knowledgeable about the Indian OTT services share their opinion on which service gives the most bang for your buck? I don't watch much TV so I don't have much of an idea as to what I want to watch except for what I've already mentioned and they're all divided between these three popular services :/

Edited by Utopianthumbs

Netflix is f*cking expensive here.

For cricket it changes depending on the country where the game is being played. Matches are broadcasted on Ten Sports, Sony Six and Starsports which have different OTTs lol.