• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

Yeah well get ćucked by foreign alphabets, GTAForums

On 8/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, Lancerator said:

Do you believe in determinism? (Our acts of our will are predetermined) 

Not exactly. But talking of philosophy, solipsism regards determinism in relation to how existence is limited to the individual's perception of its surroundings. If the free will and dynamics of other people are simply simulations of one's own brain, then determinism could be applied to a solipsistic individual, as the terms and conditions of the world in which they exist is determined by their own mind.

The concept of solipsism is indeed irrational and contradicts our natural perception of time and space and what else we know of, yet is plausible as perception is ultimately determined by our neurology. Everything you think, feel and sense can ultimately be limited to the neurochemical reactions in your nervous system. If these chemicals dictate your view and sense of your surroundings, ultimately your sense of reality, why wouldn't these chemicals be able deceive you as well?

Can you prove solipsism? No. Can you truly ever refute it? That would be a no.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

I have looked almost everywhere on Google but I can't find any information that helps me with the issue I'm having now so I'll ask here:

In my Android phone, with the keyboard active, everytime I press the "enter" key the keyboard closes down instead of jumping down a line of text so I could make a paragraph, it does jumps down a line but it closes soon after so I have to open it again.

I already tried reverting the keyboard back to the default settings, but the problem still persists.

Does your phone have a similar menu option string as this?

Settings > My Device > Language & Input

I only say this because I had a similar issue on my iPhone, but it was more relating to the predictive word function that infuriated me to no end and hindered more than it helped. I was able to change the input settings on my keyboard somehow because simply disabling it did nothing. Sometimes restoring settings to default won't work because your phone is treating the change as a default, if that makes sense.

Has Nintendo made any further statement regarding the joycon wandering issue? I'm one of the ones also going through the same issue. I figured they'd come around and update the design so we didn't have this issue anymore, but I haven't heard anything for awhile about it.

I kind of want to buy new ones but I'm unsure on if it's been sorted or if they still have the same issue. They ain't cheap.

3 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Why does craigslist suck so f*cking badly? Is it just my area? The place seems to attract the utter dregs of humanity 

Our local equivalent is called Gumtree and we pretty much get the same problems as what you'd see on Craigslist minus the creepy advertisements and lost connections stuff.  

Low Ballers

Time Wasters

No Shows

Hagglers 

Price is non negotiable but still tries to haggle

People who believe your item is priced wrongfully (could have a year 2000 vehicle that is being sold for $2500 and some flog will want to only pay $350 for it)

Oil rig scams

People who expect you to hand deliver something across town when it's pick up only. 

I believe there is definitely more however those in no particular order is what we face on our local marketplace. It's become a bit of our joke in our culture. 

If it is really troubling you, you could always take a break year for another attempt at the entrance exam. I know some people who did that, plus you're 17 right? So you have a lot of time ahead to afford to take it

Even if you don't end up at that prestigious college, with today's digital world you could build up your skills by completing some online courses and gradually taking up some projects and building your resume that way, I keep seeing stories in the papers about how people who built their practical skills this way are chosen by employers over IIT/NIT graduates. Of course you got to work hard from here but it can certainly happen. 

• Like 2

Accept that this is the way things are and move on. Whether it was your fault or not, we learn from our failures not our successes. Look at why you might have missed the entrance and reiterate some steps to yourself to ensure this doesn't happen again, or at least think of a plan that will help you avoid such an issue in future. Nothing is foolproof, but if you can take proactive steps, there's no such thing as wasted time. This is very easy for me to say as this is a hurdle you've fallen at, not me. However, you can either roll around in the dust feeling sorry for yourself or you can slowly get back up and carry on with your life. There will be other opportunities. If you have to roll around in the dust to wallow for a while, fine, just don't stay there too long. Your legs will atrophy.

• Like 2

Okay, I need some solid, deadass dating advice here.

So there is this girl whom I have known since July because she is associated with some of the girls in my dorm, so we are all mutual friends at this point. Me and her have hung out multiple times and there is a good chemistry between us. We have slept alone together in my dorm room after a party, just Netflix and spooning, nothing hot. However, a week later after that, she confronted me about how things were to be as the other girls have been mentioning our apparent relationship. She said she tested the waters, but is not ready for a relationship because of college (same as mine) and the aftermath of latest relationship and wants to stay good friends for now. Fair enough, but how do I play this sh*t out? I promised myself that I would make it easy for myself if things didn't turn out well when I starting seeing her by myself, but f*cking hell am I hooked on this girl in particular.

Do I act uninterested and mystical? Do I appear more sexually/romantically aggressive and appealing to attract her by her primal instincts? Am I supposed keep cool, wait things out, stay in touch, keep hanging out and see how things wind up? Should I date her classmate and now friend who thinks I'm hot? Am I supposed to stop myself all together?

I'd lean towards keeping it cool, carry on spending plenty of time with her assuming you can still enjoy it without getting hung up on the fact you're hooked. If something happens then awesome, if not then it's no harm no foul and at least you've still had a good time. Casually see other people if you want a bit of fun, but try and keep it out of her immediate circle just in case she takes umbrage to it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

What all affects facial hair growth? 

I am like nearly 18 and all I have is 5-6 strands under my chin:(

Mostly genetics and hormones. Also levels of your testosterone. Look around your family, does your father/grandfather/older brother have (or have the potential) to grow facial hair? You may "mature" later in this regard and see your facial grow later in life.

Edited by GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, NileshKumar said:

All of them shave every 4-5 days...

Maybe they too started to grow facial hair later in their life. You might wanna try and eat food high in zinc (legumes or nuts for example), iron (liver, sorrel etc.) and protein. These alone won't magically give you facial hair but will increase your testosterone levels which may help your somewhat.

Edited by GhettoJesus

I wasn't able to grow a beard until I was about 25 and all of a sudden I feel like I woke up with one. Genetics can be fickle. Also, there's no guarantee that just because your immediate relatives are folically gifted, you will be too. The body can change way past puberty, so just because you've hit 18 it doesn't mean you're stuck with the physical attributes you have now. There's also every chance you're just one of those people that can't grow a beard, or look absolutely ridiculous if you try, much in the same way people fight going bald by growing every bit of hair on their head possible to disguise it. If you still struggle with growing a beard in your 20s, maybe it's not for you.

• Like 1

Ealier today there were about 20 identicial topics created in gen chat by the same user, i'm assuming by a spammer or bot, the post itself was mainly gibberish with lots of links, my question is what's the endgame here, will I get a virus if I click the links, or does it redirect me to some scam? Also what exactly are bots, who's behind them and how do they work?

36 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

Ealier today there were about 20 identicial topics created in gen chat by the same user, i'm assuming by a spammer or bot, the post itself was mainly gibberish with lots of links, my question is what's the endgame here, will I get a virus if I click the links, or does it redirect me to some scam? Also what exactly are bots, who's behind them and how do they work?

Yup I saw, but those links were advertising and lot of stuff was written in Hinglish. Just the reason I hate such men from my country, few defame the nation. 

7 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

I hit my puberty late around 14 years so its considerable isn't it?

Found this on Google, mine is just smaller than his

VSoNYOi.png

Facial hair can take its time. It sounds like you have the genes for it so I wouldnt worry myself too much.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 1

Wondering if anyone remembers wether it was animaniacs or tiny toons where there was a girl who always sung tra lala lala lala la la then shouted a word like 'serve' or something at the end depending on the subject of the cartoon. Google's no help. That song keeps popping into my head. Really bugging me.

6 hours ago, JON22 said:

Wondering if anyone remembers wether it was animaniacs or tiny toons where there was a girl who always sung tra lala lala lala la la then shouted a word like 'serve' or something at the end depending on the subject of the cartoon. Google's no help. That song keeps popping into my head. Really bugging me.

Sounds like animaniacs, Tiny Toons didnt have too many musical numbers. I think the only human girl in TT was Elmyra

On 9/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

Sounds like animaniacs, Tiny Toons didnt have too many musical numbers. I think the only human girl in TT was Elmyra

I managed to find that Elmyra after asking this question but I can't find any of her singing that tralala lala lala la la. I'm wondering if it was another cartoon with the same voice actress. Thanks anyway for replying.

I had to look up who he was, but this sentence on his Wikipedia piqued my interest:

He stressed the need for a revolution in the psyche of every human being and emphasised that such revolution cannot be brought about by any external entity, be it religious, political, or social.

I don't think he's too off the mark with this. You won't trigger any sort of change in people through external means. That has to come from within, from a desire to want to change. You're not going to get large scale results from people by trying to influence them, and the results you get this way aren't worth the time of day. Unfortunately, I can't relate to much else he claims to have experienced. I think that was an over-emphasised fever dream refined by somebody with a flair for creative thinking and social manipulation. I don't think he was either a mad man nor a genius, no more so than any other influential individual from any other point of history. He saw a window of opportunity and dove through it.

Thank you for replying and even the effort to look it up. I can also absolutely understand why people refuse to look deep into such things, like my mother for example (mother quote: now get the hell outa here with your buddha crap whatever it is!).

But my mum is not a bad person, no way, she has only a lack of interest, that's all. So as I have almost none interest in modern economy. Your quote from JK is imho closely related to the quote of Morpheus from the picture Matrix, as he said something like "I can show you the door, but you have to go through it by your own". Because of this I loved this movie so much, not the effects. I recently (JK died long ago) watched some discussions on YT between JK (I call him a philosopher), David Bohm (physicist), Rupert Sheldrake (biologist) and John Hidley (psychiatrist). This gave me alot of stress relief, by suffering from depressions. And that is exactly what JK said, with your mind so full of thoughts that it become depressed, you are totally unable to go through this mental door (whatever this door means to you, is entirely up to oneself). The door has lost it's handle or knob. You see it, but you can't use it, something is missing, either the key or the handle or the lock. Realising this, that my mind is extraordinary overloaded, gave me a great stress relief. My original reply was much longer, but putting details about depression into public can trigger other sensitive people, so I cut it out in the end.

Stay well Rhoda, so as your loved ones. :p

Edited by NaidRaida
wording

Care to explain why Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?

J8ypMVf.jpg

• KEKW 2
3 hours ago, trip said:

Care to explain why Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only puzzling if you do not full grasp the full implications of the holly trinity. God is God Father, God Son, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus was born of Mary, so of course Jesus has a belly button, and since God Father and God Son are one and the same, God must have a belly button. In summary, Eve has a belly button because Adam has a belly button, because God has a belly button, because Jesus has a belly button, because Mary has a belly button, because Eve has a belly button. Time paradoxes are like that. Sometimes you wipe out existence, and some times, you end up with a belly button. I think we got off light.

Lore aside, this painting is a classic depiction of Adam and Eve by Lucas Cranach The Elder in 1528. My knowledge of biology only goes so far back, but it would be safe to assume that some functions of the body would be relatively mysterious to people in the 16th century. In those days, it may not have been abundantly clear to people what the function of a navel was or what its presence implied. Of course, even laymen, anti-vaxxers and Trump supporters know what it does these days, but I would not be in the least bit surprised if this wasn't common knowledge when the painting was produced. Cranach was a keen artist from an early age, and his talents were not limited to painting - during his early life he took up woodcutting, engraving and even designing the coins for the electorate. Simply put, Cranach was proud of his work and had such a clear passion. It's only natural that the representation of Adam and Eve would have belly buttons because that's the most clear and understandable representation of what the first humans would be. As it happens, artists of the 16th century were not usually theologians or biologists, so this is clearly a simple oversight. The models used for this painting's reference obviously had belly buttons, and they were left in because why wouldn't they be? Adam and Eve as a story is a parable and is not intended to be an accurate representation of the first humans on Earth from a literal standpoint.

14 hours ago, Rhoda said:

My knowledge of biology only goes so far back, but it would be safe to assume that some functions of the body would be relatively mysterious to people in the 16th century.

The umbilical, which connects infant to the placenta, has to be physically cut during childbirth. Connecting the fact that there was a tube sticking out of infants belly, and that this is where child has belly button does not take a great leap of reasoning. Understanding of where belly button comes from probably predates spoken language.

Now, you might be trying to make an argument that this is something that would be known to midwives, and not general population. But first of all, nearly everyone had children, so most people would get presented with this information in the most direct way. And more importantly, artists by that point in time would study anatomy extensively and often be in some way involved with medicine. Lucas Chranach certainly was. I find the idea that he simply didn't know the connection between childbirth and belly button to be very unlikely. Far more probable is that there was simply an established tradition of how Adam and Eve are to be depicted, and he followed it.