• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienTwo

• Ai®a©ob®a

• feckyerlife

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? God created Adam in his image and Eve from Adam, with some modifications, obviously. So Adam and Eve have belly buttons because God has a belly button. And that's only p

It should go without saying that people post medical related questions at their own discretion. There isn't much of a limit as to what you're allowed to ask, providing it doesn't break any rules. Obvi

Yeah well get ćucked by foreign alphabets, GTAForums

18 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Is something like this

https://www.thequint.com/tech-and-auto/how-to-prevent-headphone-electrocution

where people are getting electrocuted using headphones while charging their laptop/mobile a real cause of concern? Or is it more of a freak scenario and the probability of actually getting a shock is quite minimal? 

Shouldn't be if you're using a properly designed and undamaged phone and charger, even in a country with an electricity supply as janky as India's. Just make sure you've got some kind of surge protection between outlet and phone.

J6WtCvX.png 

Does anyone know what sweater Paulie is wearing here? Or where I might find something similar? It's one of the most handsome sweaters I've ever seen. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Is something like this

https://www.thequint.com/tech-and-auto/how-to-prevent-headphone-electrocution

where people are getting electrocuted using headphones while charging their laptop/mobile a real cause of concern? Or is it more of a freak scenario and the probability of actually getting a shock is quite minimal? 

This can be avoided by just a simple method.

"Don't use your devices while charging, Patience is the key"

1 hour ago, NileshKumar said:

This can be avoided by just a simple method.

"Don't use your devices while charging, Patience is the key"

True but I'm not the most patient dude and sometimes I tend to plug in my laptop and continue to use headphones to listen to music/when I'm in the middle of a game and the battery is low and stuff like that, and I just wanted to know if I should err on the side of caution on this or if it's not significant enough to worry about and it's okay continuing like that.

Maybe I can be a bit more patient, wouldn't hurt . Though if it's just a freak occurrence and nothing will happen if the laptop/mobile and charger are undamaged and there's adequate protection between device and outlet then there's no problem right? Best if I can avoid it and especially not do it when there's rain and lightning about I guess. 

Edit- From what I understand I only have voltage stabilizers and not surge protectors, so I think better to be safe than sorry even if voltage fluctuations/surges aren't common in my area

Edited by Guest

I am 5'10" (177 cm), my legs are way bigger as compared to my main body (torso). Why is that so? Because of my diet or something? Genetic? ( I know I can't change it but still)

Whenever I SIT near a shorter person, it seems as if I am shorter which leads to some embarrassment untill I stand to prove everyone wrong. 

3 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

I am 5'10" (177 cm), my legs are way bigger as compared to my main body (torso). Why is that so? Because of my diet or something? Genetic? ( I know I can't change it but still)

Whenever I SIT near a shorter person, it seems as if I am shorter which leads to some embarrassment untill I stand to prove everyone wrong. 

It's genetics, I have a friend who has a pretty big disproportion between legs and torso. I also have longer legs than torso though it's not noticeable unless you focus on it.

5 hours ago, NileshKumar said:

I'm 6'1" and wear trousers that are a 30 length, and I still usually cuff the hem...

33 minutes ago, NileshKumar said:

Is natural death painful?

This article on what it might feel to die talks about a footballer who suffered a heart attack and was declared clinically dead , though he was revived later. He describes feeling a dizziness but no pain

(Relevant quote) 

In March 2012, the Bolton Wanderers midfielder Fabrice Muamba collapsed on the field during a televised FA Cup match against Tottenham Hotspur. He had suffered a heart attack and was clinically dead, with no vital signs, for a considerable length of time. Remarkably, he survived, and has since described his impressions of what happened. At first, he said, he felt a surreal dizziness, as though he was running along inside someone else’s body. The last thing he remembers is seeing two of the Tottenham player Scott Parker. Interestingly, he reports no feeling of pain.

I've heard passing in your sleep is also painless.

This is also anecdotal so don't entirely take my word for it but I also heard that in most cases of natural death by the time they are near death they have already suffered the majority of it and they're weakened enough to not feel too much pain at death. Again this might be wrong cause it's just what I know from hearsay, though I guess most of our knowledge about this is guesswork

As an aside I searched for 'most painless ways to pass away' for answering this and got suicide helpline numbers in bold shown in front of me. This is obviously very necessary, I just hope I haven't entered a watch list. 

1 minute ago, Utopianthumbs said:

As an aside I searched for 'most painless ways to pass away' for answering this and got suicide helpline numbers in bold shown in front of me. This is obviously very necessary, I just hope I haven't entered a watch list. 

Dude same, I searched a similar term on google and received helpline numbers

1 minute ago, Utopianthumbs said:

I've heard passing in your sleep is also painless.

That is the worst way to die, sleeping for work but never waking up again

2 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

This article on what it might feel to die talks about a footballer who suffered a heart attack and was declared clinically dead , though he was revived later. He describes feeling a dizziness but no pain

Guy never thought he was about to die

The best way to die is by knowing your end is near and then sleeping in peace

5 minutes ago, NileshKumar said:

That is the worst way to die, sleeping for work but never waking up again

Maybe, but i guess it is one of the least painful ways to go

Another GTA Fan
18 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

I'm pretty sure Google does that due to suicide prevention. Google is not just a search engine, it's a friend.

I personally wouldn't want to die in my sleep, after all, how would I know I died? I guess there's some things no one alive can explain.

To clarify, he was asking whether death is painful so I suggested that passing in your sleep was one way of dying that may not necessarily be so. Of course it is still a very unexpected and thus sad way to go, but as for painful this might rank among the least painful ways, though again whether that is a good way to die or not depends on one's perspective I guess, in the end the least we can hope for is that we don't have a drawn out death

1 hour ago, Another GTA Fan said:

I personally wouldn't want to die in my sleep, after all, how would I know I died? I guess there's some things no one alive can explain.

True, though I guess for some it wouldn't matter if they knew, just that they would rather go in the most peaceful way.

2 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

the least we can hope for is that we don't have a drawn out death

What is the meaning of this? I didn't understand.

3 minutes ago, NileshKumar said:

What is the meaning of this? I didn't understand.

As in we hope we don't suffer a prolonged, painful death like drowning for example.

You would want your death to be as peaceful as it possibly can be, maybe surrounded by your loved ones too. 

After all this morbid talk I need to go and listen to some of my childhood pokemon tunes for a bit :lol:. But it was nice to discuss things like this too

I got some assorted questions, I'll take an answer to any: 

1. I shave every day, and only cut myself in one spot - there is a patch of rougher skin on part of my neck. I cut myself there EVERY day, and have tried different cartridges and foams/gels. Any tips? 
  2. How to move on the cheap - is the best idea to get friends with cars? 
  3. How to live rurally without a car for at least 3 months while saving enough to buy a cheap beater car? 
9 hours ago, mr quick said:

How to move on the cheap - is the best idea to get friends with cars? 

Depends on how much stuff you got. I remember we used to rent U-Haul trucks back when moving during my grad school days. Grad students aren't really payed a ton of money, and it still felt reasonably cheap back then. Failing that, your best bet is somebody with a pickup truck.

Why is it said that the Voyager spacecrafts are in interstellar space? From what I understand it's said cause they left the sun's magnetic field/heliosphere but there are still objects much beyond orbiting the sun like the Kuiper belt and Oort Cloud objects. Are these objects in interstellar space too? But how can that be since they are still orbiting the sun, isn't interstellar space supposed to be the region between the influence of two stars?

I know I can just google this but I tried reading wiki and stuff and I didn't understand properly and I guess I didn't pay attention in class back then

Voyager 1 has left the termination shock and heliopause of the sun and is therefore by definition in interstellar space (that is, beyond the influence of a sun). This is proven by the absence of plasma detections.

The Oort Cloud exists within interstellar space. I say "exists" but in reality it's existence is theoretical.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sivispacem said:

I believe it's because they've been placed on escape trajectories that will place them outside the solar system in the future. For instance Voyager 2 is no longer within the gravitational influence of the sun so it has escaped the heliosphere; it has not yet escaped the solar system but will do.

But isn't it more accurate to say that it will enter interstellar space in the future, but hasn't yet now? I only have a layman's knowledge and I guess I'm confused about what the exact definition of interstellar space is, wiki says it's the matter and radiation existing between two stars, but the solar system still extends way beyond where the Voyagers are currently so how is it that they are said to be in interstellar space? 

Sorry if I sound a bit dense but if Voyager had escaped the suns gravitational influence then how are there objects orbiting the sun even been beyond it? I just read up on the heliosphere again and it says it's the boundary between matter originating from the sun and matter from the galaxy, and crossing it means you've entered interstellar space but the solar system extends far beyond the heliosphere so how can that be? I know I'm repeating myself a bit, just that this confuses me lol

1 hour ago, sivispacem said:

Voyager 1 has left the termination shock and heliopause of the sun and is therefore by definition in interstellar space (that is, beyond the influence of a sun). This is proven by the absence of plasma detections.

The Oort Cloud exists within interstellar space. I say "exists" but in reality it's existence is theoretical.

Sorry didn't see this. Oh so the Oort Cloud is in interstellar space too, still a bit confused on how that can be since they orbit the sun(in theory atleast) but I probably have to do my research properly. Thanks 

Sorry I've made an error there; the heliosphere doesn't relate to the sun's gravitational influence but the dispersion of matter and solar winds from it.

The boundary point at which solar winds are no longer strong enough to influence interstellar medium above and beyond that of other surrounding stars (the heliopause) is the accepted marker for "interstellar space"- the Voyager probes have passed this and therefore are within the interstellar medium (IE matter no longer influenced by the sun's solar winds) even though they may still be influenced by the sun's gravitational force. Obviously given the distance between the sun and surrounding stars, the gravitational influence is likely to remain significantly stronger even for matter that exists outside the heliosphere.

On 7/22/2020 at 10:42 PM, mr quick said:

I shave every day, and only cut myself in one spot - there is a patch of rougher skin on part of my neck. I cut myself there EVERY day, and have tried different cartridges and foams/gels. Any tips? 

What you might do is before you shave,  get a hot, wet, towel and apply it to the affected area for some time to help moisturise the area and soften the rough skin. 

I usually try shave after a hot shower too. while my skin is soft and moist. And maybe, if you can, don't shave everyday. Shaving daily might keep it agitated. If you can perhaps give it a rest for a few days. moisturise and then do the hot towel prep. Then introduce shaving every two days and then back to every day. 

Aftershave balm might help as well. I use L'Occitane aftershave balm. I never used aftershave balm before this but feels really good to moisturize with it after a shave. 

https://www.amazon.de/OCCITANE-After-Shave-Balm-Men/dp/B017GZY45I/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1NC3VOQ7Z5DH&dchild=1&keywords=loccitane+after+shave+balm&qid=1595601121&sprefix=locitane+afte%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-6

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

@mr quick& shaving stuff.

I think it's the neck.  That's the only area I ever cut myself too.  Actually super cautious because I hate razor cuts.  Heck, I even have a hairlip scar and no problems shaving that zone.  But the neck?  Scares me everytime.  Adam's apple?  yikes!

I find shaving is less scary since I graduate to big boy blades.  Expensive as f*ck but worth it.

Yes...shave after a shower.  Hot water, rinse blade after every stroke.  I like to heat up my shaving cream as well.  Rinse with cold water, dry, and moisturize.   If any of you are not moisturizing after you wash your face ima find ya and punch you square in that face.  Moisturize!

• Like 2

I've generally found that the longer I hold a hot flannel to my face, the less likely I'll nick myself...lots of people seem to do fine with shaving after a hot shower but personally that's not enough lol

also it's worth double checking what direction the grain of your hair is if you have trouble with one spot consistently!

Use a cheese grater and rinse with gasoline. That "new look" on you, will be just as heavenly as it felt with your new "shaving technique"!

20 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

What you might do is before you shave,  get a hot, wet, towel and apply it to the affected area for some time to help moisturise the area and soften the rough skin. 

I usually try shave after a hot shower too. while my skin is soft and moist. And maybe, if you can, don't shave everyday. Shaving daily might keep it agitated. If you can perhaps give it a rest for a few days. moisturise and then do the hot towel prep. Then introduce shaving every two days and then back to every day. 

Aftershave balm might help as well. I use L'Occitane aftershave balm. I never used aftershave balm before this but feels really good to moisturize with it after a shave. 

14 hours ago, trip said:

@mr quick& shaving stuff.

I think it's the neck.  That's the only area I ever cut myself too.  Actually super cautious because I hate razor cuts.  Heck, I even have a hairlip scar and no problems shaving that zone.  But the neck?  Scares me everytime.  Adam's apple?  yikes!

I find shaving is less scary since I graduate to big boy blades.  Expensive as f*ck but worth it.

Yes...shave after a shower.  Hot water, rinse blade after every stroke.  I like to heat up my shaving cream as well.  Rinse with cold water, dry, and moisturize.   If any of you are not moisturizing after you wash your face ima find ya and punch you square in that face.  Moisturize!

Thanks for your advice guys, though I am already doing all these things. Unless by "big boy blades" you mean those old-school safety razors, then yes, I have yet to try that. I've heard it recommended by other friends as well, so maybe I should try it out. I have an old one laying around that I inherited, though I've never tried it. 
... And I don't think I can handle not shaving for a day 😅 The hairs themselves are thick and black and grow very quickly in the initial stage - I even might shave twice in a day if I'm dressing up for an evening event like a dinner. I just feel uncomfortable leaving the house without having shaved. 

10 hours ago, RedDagger said:

I've generally found that the longer I hold a hot flannel to my face, the less likely I'll nick myself...lots of people seem to do fine with shaving after a hot shower but personally that's not enough lol

also it's worth double checking what direction the grain of your hair is if you have trouble with one spot consistently!

This could actually be it. It certainly looks as if the hair in that spot is growing "up" whereas the rest is "down". I could try a different direction. 

e: I just tried a much warmer shower (I tend to gravitate towards colder water temperatures) than I usually do, and did the patch in a different direction. It certainly helped, but I might still want to try the safety razors

Edited by mr quick
  • Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 3:12 AM, mr quick said:

I got some assorted questions, I'll take an answer to any: 

1. How to live rurally without a car for at least 3 months while saving enough to buy a cheap beater car? 

I would say getting a bicycle or a motorcycle for a small sum and managing with it while you save for a car. I did for years before being able to afford a car. Or if your daily commute distance isn't that much, walking his quite healthy. :) What is the mode of public transport in the rural area you are talking of? Here in India we have pickup trucks or older Jeeps converted into public transport vehicles to ride on rough rural terrians. Quite popular and quick at the same time.

^none, essentially. 

I have a new, and broad question - any advice is appreciated. 

I am at a crossroads. I have a degree in a field which is much more lucrative and... existent where I currently live. I finished my studies in june, and will soon be ineligeble to keep living in this student housing. Additionally, I have no money or income. This leaves me with two choices: 

1 - Move back to my parents to save money, and move back here later on

2 - Move just outside of the city, and rent a place
3 - Stay in the city and rent with a shared kitchen and bathroom (This option is decorative. I refuse to do it) 

The problem is that I want to be where I am, and I don't particularly want to go back to my folks' place - My youngest sibling is still living there, and my eldest moved back (accompanied by a dog) after their long-term partnership ended. If I move back, we're 5 people and 3 dogs in a relatively small house. I am a quiet man who cherishes solitude and peace. One person sits up til around 1:30 and another gets up at 6:00, and the sound isolation is so terrible where my room will be that I will struggle with this. 
Unfortunately, my familial ties are not particularly strong - not that there is bad blood, but I simply feel a little alien to my family. We don't really have too much in common, aside from taste in music, and our habits don't exactly coincide. I like silence, but boy, that TV is running from early in the morning until the last person goes to bed, at the high volumes one might expect from people in their 60s and 70s - such as my folks. I like silence, but the only thing that drowns out the TV is the incessant passive-aggressive bickering of people who predate emotional transparancy and communication, or the dogs barking - which is topped again, by the people in the household whose antiquated dog-training methods include such smash hits as "yell loudly, like a bark, at the dogs, for barking" and "yell at the dog once it stops; yelling at it for doing what you wanted it to do". 

I've mentioned before that I sometimes take the car out to the potato fields simply to sit in silence for a half hour. 

It's not that my family is so bad, it's just too crowded and loud in that house. But, I'd save ridiculous amounts of money. My debt right now is at around $ 56 000. Not too much, but certainly more than my current $0-per-year income. 

Rent outside this city would be around $900-1500 per month. This is the big issue. Rent is a colossal waste of money, it's just pissing money into the pocket of some ghoul whose fortune is built upon the misfortune of fools like myself. I could set aside "rent" while living rent-free at my folks' place, and put that money away for returning to here once ready. Who knows what could happen in the meantime. 

So, I'm just looking for opinions on this, if any of you have had to go through similar crossroads. Which of these sh*t compromises should I go for? The one where I piss away more than half my monthly paycheck and can put away virtually no money per month but where I am close to the "industry" for the field in which I am now educated (even if my career was completely reset due to Covid), or go back to stay at my parents' place where I can put away money to come back here, at the cost of solitude and of access to the cultural facilities I desire?