Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (93,073 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Daniele854

What Year is GTA Online set in ?

Daniele854

Hi guys as gta online is different from GTA 5 I wanted to know what year is it set ? GTA 4 is set in 2008, gta 5 in 2013 and gta online ? Thanks if you answer my question ! 

Foxhounder1990

To begin with, GTA Onine as always implied to be a mere few months leading to GTA V, with characters like Lester, Martin Madrazo and even Lester being the main missions contacts, I don't think rockstar predicted back then just how successful and long running it would eventually become.

But a throwaway line in the Gunrunning update suggest the game is advancing in real time (-yeh,  it's 2017, I can't believe it either), which is pretty cool and does give you a real sense of progression with everything it has to offer. 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Foxhounder1990 said:

To begin with, GTA Onine as always implied to be a mere few months leading to GTA V, with characters like Lester, Martin Madrazo and even Lester being the main missions contacts, I don't think rockstar predicted back then just how successful and long running it would eventually become.

But a throwaway line in the Gunrunning update suggest the game is advancing in real time (-yeh,  it's 2017, I can't believe it either), which is pretty cool and does give you a real sense of progression with everything it has to offer. 

The problem with that is the doomsday heist were the ULP contact is alive despite the fact that you can kill him as Michael in SP. so at this point I doubt GTA ONLINE is canon. Imagine if it's in present day, Franklin is cleaning his car and sees a flying deluxo getting destroyed by 15 jets dogfighting in the sky. He would be like what the f*ck?! 

Edited by TheSantader25

Jeansowaty

No year, since it's not even canon to the main series. It's just a bunch of random missions thrown together.

Hmmm nice bike
On 6/24/2018 at 7:42 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Imagine if it's in present day, Franklin is cleaning his car and sees a flying deluxo getting destroyed by 15 jets dogfighting in the sky. He would be like what the f*ck?! 

It's almost like if GTA has finally become what Saints Row started doing since their third game.

I think when it started off, it was intended on being 2013 and just a few months before V's events, as it was mentioned before. But after a while, I think they just stopped giving a sh*t about a timeline and now it takes place whenever. The f*cked up thing is that the new radio stations that they added introduced music from 2017, but then you can still listen to this in V despite that still being set in 2013 (though Vladivostok FM in IV following the butchering of it had this problem, too, I believe there's a couple songs that they added to it that were made quite a few years after 2008).

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

It's almost like if GTA has finally become what Saints Row started doing since their third game.

I think when it started off, it was intended on being 2013 and just a few months before V's events, as it was mentioned before. But after a while, I think they just stopped giving a sh*t about a timeline and now it takes place whenever. The f*cked up thing is that the new radio stations that they added introduced music from 2017, but then you can still listen to this in V despite that still being set in 2013 (though Vladivostok FM in IV following the butchering of it had this problem, too, I believe there's a couple songs that they added to it that were made quite a few years after 2008).

GTA hasn't. GTA O has. I don't think this stupid stuff makes its way to GTA VI SP. The housers wouldn't let that happen. 

Edited by TheSantader25

D9fred95
14 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

GTA hasn't. GTA O has. I don't think this stupid stuff makes its way to GTA VI SP. The housers wouldn't let that happen. 

Because adding this stuff to SP would mean people getting them for free = no Shark Card sales.

TheSantader25
1 minute ago, D9fred95 said:

Because adding this stuff to SP would mean people getting them for free = no Shark Card sales.

It better not anyway. Who wants a stupid deluxo in SP. give us the cheats from SA and we're set. 

Darkshadows

It was originally meant to be set before SP by just a few months. Rockstar decided to change this and now it's apparently set in real life time meaning it's 2018 in Los Santos.

My theory places some updates and heists before SP and some other updates AFTER SP, however this doesn't matter since it's pretty obvious Rockstar will take most of these things like flying deluxos out of the canon.

Giantsgiants

GTA Online is still set before story mode. Single player has progressed too. The new content does exist in SP in theory but we can't access it because cash cards.