Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,090 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

CarimboHanky

[GTAO] Cashcards or Paid Cosmetics?

Cashcard or Cosmetic Items  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like Cashcards?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would You Like Paid Cosmetic Items in GTAO?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Coke or Pepsi

• Coke
    • Pepsi

Juanitoelduro

1&2: Hell no

3. Screw those capitalist drinks, Manaos Cola best argie drink 

https://i.imgur.com/k5upeVd.jpg[/img]

kcole4001

I must admit that, even though the whole dlc, pay to play, cash card, and microtransaction business is mainly nothing but greed, the way it's implemented in GTA is likely the best.

One doesn't need to pay to get it, so if you don't mind spending the time (which is still playing the game, and we did all buy the game to play it, right?) you can get the same stuff others are paying real money for.

It just takes a little will power and some time.

If you can't or don't want to wait, then you have the option of buying in.

That's fine.

Now, the argument that some companies need paid dlc etc. to make their investment back and turn some profit is certainly valid in some instances, in the vast majority it is nothing but naked greed.

Especially when your game has been rated the top grossing entertainment product in years, or if content was promised pre-release then held back to be fed as paid dlc (*cough-Total War series*).

Guaranteed to piss off customers, but obviously people are still buying in to this business model.

In the end, it's purely a matter of choice.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kcole4001 said:

I must admit that, even though the whole dlc, pay to play, cash card, and microtransaction business is mainly nothing but greed, the way it's implemented in GTA is likely the best.

One doesn't need to pay to get it, so if you don't mind spending the time (which is still playing the game, and we did all buy the game to play it, right?) you can get the same stuff others are paying real money for.

It just takes a little will power and some time.

It takes something on the order of 120-150 hours of concentrated grinding to buy all the stuff in each of the big updates (e.g. Gunrunning, Smuggler's Run, Doomsday) that they've added in the last few years.  I will never accept a pro-shark card argument like this until somebody manages to convincingly explain why the obviously outrageous prices in this game are actually A-OK. 

It is not just about playing the game or putting the time in.  I accept that just like I accept the fact that getting 100% in single player will take however many hours of play.  Instead it's about the sheer mountain of time they ask for.  They know that most players, especially all the casual ones, will not put in that much time and will want the stuff anyway, and therefore might cave and just pay for it.  The prices are set with that in mind.  And those of us that aren't casual players suffer for it, because we would be playing anyway, but we sacrifice things we might want to do in favor of grinding (or glitching) just to keep up with the updates; sometimes we even sacrifice playing other games because if you're not constantly on that GTA grind, you're not gonna have enough money when the next update comes.  I was personally on that treadmill for several years; no one is ever going to convince me that the calibration of this game is anything other than corporate greed masquerading as reasonable gameplay.

Edited by Nutduster

kcole4001

Yeah, the pricing certainly reveals their true intent, and after it became well known that the game has been phenomenally profitable, continuing on the same path is purely greed inspired.

The problem is, that it is working.

People are buying cards, or they wouldn't continue to sell them and keep the in game prices so ridiculously inflated.

Just to look at the price of original vehicles compared to newer stuff is pretty mind boggling.

Why would a stretch limo be worth less than a stripped down, rusty motorcycle?

It wouldn't work but for the consumers playing along.

You'll never meet a corporate type that says no to money, no matter how it's been acquired, so it is entirely on the players that cash cards exist.

You or I aren't going to be part of that economy, but many are.

Voodoo-Hendrix
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DemonicSpaceman said:

The in game economy is only partly due to Shark Cards though. The main reason for it, in my opinion, is due to glitched money and the huge amounts of it from the start. Look at the prices of early DLC compared with later prices. There are obvious items which are priced to attempt to clear illegitimate money but at a cost to those of us who do not gain money illegitimately.

Not saying shark cards aren't a reason for it but they aren't the only reason and I don't believe they are even the biggest reason.

While your statement is true, even if glitching money on GTAO was impossible since the beginning, the prices would had steadily increased anyway, maybe not to the extend of nowadays (a Tesla Model S for 1 million? A vanilla jet like the Lazer at 6 million?) but they would have increased anyway, mainly to counter the ability of the player to make money with new opportunities like Heists or Freemode Businesses.

Case in point, the Heists update introduced the Lectro, a rather unremarkable motorcycle with the exorbitant price (for a motorcycle, at least until Bikers) of $750,000 - $997,500.

For comparison, previously high end motorcycles released before Heists like the Thrust, Sovereign and Hackuchou were in the $75k-$120k price range.

Then both parts of Ill Gotten Gains came after said update and started the rampant price creep on items, for example, before the Osiris and T20 were added to the game, the most expensive supercar was the Adder, at 1 million, a rather measly ammount nowadays.

Regardless of how rampant glitching and cheating may be in a microtransactions focused game, most of the time the developers will start to steadily increase the ingame prices until players start to notice, if they do.

TL;DR: ingame prices were doomed since the start, regardless of the widespread use of glitches or not. Said glitches just accelerated the process.

Edited by Voodoo-Hendrix
no u

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Not to mention, pointing out that the price hikes were a response to glitching is sort of ignoring that much of the glitching was a response to the prices.  People wouldn't have been duping right and left from the jump if not for the fact that they felt it was way too much work to earn the money for the stuff they wanted. 

I do think prices went up in part as a response to money glitching, but that doesn't make it right.  I feel bad for anyone that has played the game completely straight up, as well as anyone who got into the game in the last few years and found they had no chance of ever catching up with the old timers unless they glitched or bought a shark card (or really, a huge stack of them).

Edited by Nutduster

CarimboHanky
7 hours ago, DemonicSpaceman said:

The in game economy is only partly due to Shark Cards though. The main reason for it, in my opinion, is due to glitched money and the huge amounts of it from the start. Look at the prices of early DLC compared with later prices.

to be honest, i have never been a fan of the theory that prices when up because of the glitched money.

i think that even without money glitches, prices would still be the same, because well cashcards!

7 hours ago, Commander S said:

Can definitely recommend Cherry Coke Zero Sugar

a couple months ago, coke introduced some new flavors here, diet coke in cherry, mango, orange and lime. lime is meh, cherry is so-so but orange and mango are really good!

BlackMilk

Never been a big fan of paying for stuff for a game you already own. Before, I said that prices of items in this game were fine because you're not meant to have everything immediately or to acquire them in a very short period of time from the moment you start playing. But since the game has come out, the amount of items like vehicles and clothing has doubled, maybe tripled. I haven't counted, but it's certainly a lot more. If not in number of items to buy then definitely in the amount of GTA dollars it'd take to collect all of them. And developers know that lots of gamers like to collect things. Collectors, completionists, they're banking (pun intended) on these crowds to want to do things in their games that will get them more money.

I also think the reason behind the pricing is not because of glitches but because of the shark cards. If everything was cheaper then most people putting in a reasonable amount of hours into the game could easily afford whatever they thought they needed and then just save up for the extras. For example they could get armoured vehicles without a problem and take it slow with their sports car collection. Pretty much what I'm doing with legit grinding, minus the shark cards.

So-called "micro" transactions, special per-developer or per-game currencies, season passes, lootboxes that you can buy or need paid keys for to open, all of this stuff makes me a little nausious (spelling). A lot of it is dirty business, it's intentional and unfortunately sometimes it comes at the cost of quality gameplay. I'm not going to say that I would NEVER have any paid content in a game if I were part of a studio and could make that call, but I can say with 100% certainty I would never go down the path that Rockstar has taken with GTA:O. Ideally, you simply pay to buy the game and only ever pay more if new content was developed and made available to players, just like serious expansions to MMO's like World of Warcraft. I'd want to try to be sure that every single player can have the same, full experience of the game as anyone else can.

Some stuff I think isn't too bad like when Tripwire Interactive added player models and weapon skins in paid DLC packs for Killing Floor. They also added actual weapon packs at some point and I would have objected to that, were it not for the fact that KF is a co-op game and owners of the DLC could provide non-owners with the DLC weapons in the game. But then they went nuts with item drops in the sequel. Harmless to the gameplay, but it's messy, lots of people don't like it and it seems redundant to me.

If you want money as a developer, make a great game that sells lots of copies. Hell, throw in some real life goodies for special editions like art books, soundtrack cds and the like. Put a freaking donation button on your website so people that appreciate and want to support you can do so with no required workaround. Don't pretend (at least not as a huge, rich thing like Rockstar) that you NEED to have people pay more than whatever the pricetag was on your game just to make sure you survive. And to hell with those pricks who try to play mental tricks on the easily persuaded by doing things like allowing players to buy tokens for their own bullsh*t currency (GamersFirst with G1 credits, eff off) to make it that much easier for people to forget what they're spending on their so-called free to play games.

Dirty, greedy, gratuitous, unsympathetic, uncaring. Those are just some of the words that come to mind when I think of developers that have done things like that. Just don't do it. Best case scenario: you make more money but you still seem like arseholes. Sorry for the rant-ish post. I have fairly strong feelings when it comes to how people treat customers and wish I would ever be in a position to do better and possibly be an example to others. One can dream.

luisniko
Posted (edited)

The question again: Does the Cash Card system jacks up the prices and game balance so I must turn the video game into a f*cking job? Grind like a f*cking hamster on a wheel and the mission is ridden with 99% chance to fail to push me into purchasing the cash card?

If not, then I'll take Cash Card.

If yes, then I'll take DLC.

Why so? Apparently I'd rather pay an additional items, be it vanity or valuable content, than having a pretentious free contents that corners me to pay anyhow for a price that's generally more expensive and must be through a form of another currency that's inexchangeable.

And no, I don't like soda. I'll take warm tea. No sugar.

Edited by luisniko