2. Site Suggestions

CarimboHanky

[GTAO] Cashcards or Paid Cosmetics?

Cashcard or Cosmetic Items  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like Cashcards?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would You Like Paid Cosmetic Items in GTAO?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Coke or Pepsi

• Coke
    • Pepsi

CarimboHanky
Posted (edited)

ok, lately i have been reading about a few other games, watched a bit of E3 and one thing i noticed is companies trying to distance themselves from the lootbox model on the wake of the huge Star Wars Battlefront controvesy, they are moving toward paid cosmetic items.

This got me thinking of the future of gtao and how something like this could find it way into the next gtao or even rdr2 online.

personally, im not a fan of the cashcards, i think they are one of the reasons why everything is super expensive in the game, but they generate so much money for TakeTwo/R* and its probably the reason why 5years later we are still receiving content.

on the other hand, we have games like PUBG, Killing Floor, H1Z1, Battlefield, that offer ingame cosmetics and weapon skins, that alter the look but doesnt give you any advantage, other than looking cooler than the regular player. 

now imagine this model in gtao, some unique weapon skins, clothes, masks, maybe some car wraps, up for sale, i think with fair pricing, this model could work in gtao and may even be more accepted than the cashcard model. this change wont happen on the current version of the game but could easily be implemented on the upcoming rdr2 and even on the next gtao.

yes i know, in a perfect world one shouldnt pay extra for content on a full price AAA game, but we are not living in a perfect world and microtransactions are a thing!

TLDR

would you like R* to drop the cashcard model from future titles and replace it with affordable cosmetic items microtransactions?

Edited by CarimboHanky

Rafae
Posted (edited)

Definitely coke.

I hate both cash cards and paid DLC so neither. Unless we're talking about story expansions....

Edited by Rafae

Voodoo-Hendrix

1. No

2. No

3. Pepsi

REXX
Posted (edited)

Vote yes for Cashcards as they're there for people that need them. Would also pay for cosmetics/additional updates as long as they are an accurate representation of what the community want and do not give any players an advantage. I've been saying it for years, I would happily buy the Mission Creator as a standalone application for PS4. Literally I'd buy that regardless of cost.

Definately coke ;)

Edited by REXX
Typos.

kenmy13999

I think the microtransaction system  that Gtao has is the best out of payed dlc, lootboxes, season pass etc, etc 

No Use For A Name

Dr. Pepper is the correct answer to the Coke vs. Pepsi question

CarimboHanky
2 minutes ago, kenmy13999 said:

I think the microtransaction system  that Gtao has is the best out of payed dlc, lootboxes, season pass etc, etc 

i agree with you!

i always tell that people, out of all the microtransaction systems out there, the cashcard model seem to be less predatory. 

HamwithCheese
Posted (edited)

Fortnite (fortnight?) Battle royale is goofy looking, online only, PvP only only available on 4/5 consoles, and just sh*t in general. Yet, bevauze it's free to play, offers cosmetic only items, and receives regular updates its the most popular game in the world.

Yeah, maybe not the most profitable, but it now has the trust of the fanbase to carry Epic for years.

My point is, is that they've found a way to make it work. And I am in favor of cosmetic items so long as they can be obtained with a reasonable amount of grinding.

Thing is though, paid cosmetic items wont work in gta. The economy is set up to where you'd see outfits costing millions of gta bucks, or would be unlocked after completing heists or something. Cars and weapons have stats and attributes. It'd quickly devolve into blatant pay to win.

Edited by HamwithCheese

kenmy13999
1 minute ago, CarimboHanky said:

i agree with you!

i always tell that people, out of all the microtransaction systems out there, the cashcard model seem to be less predatory. 

Only thing I kind dislike with how they've done it with gtao is that it's a little to 'grindy' if you wanna play 100% legit imo, doable but a little to time consuming, especially if you play other games also. 

WildBrick142

I'm okay with shark cards and I guess I'd be fine with paid cosmetic items too as long as it's not taken too overboard.

Tbh I don't really mind microtransactions as long as they don't give players any unfair advantages over those who choose not to pay, and don't become the main focus of the game to the point most of the content is cut down and locked behind a paywall. If one can get the fastest car, for example, or a bulletproof helmet that can survive twice as many bullets, with no way to get those items without paying then that's not really fair and is probably a bit of a problem too.

Also Coke, I guess.

Mach1bud
Posted (edited)

I definitely prefer Cash Cards to any other microtransaction system.

Playwalls over paywalls.

No money ever has to leave my real life wallet for anything in GTA, and that wouldn't be the case with paid items. Would rather save up for two weeks for a car than to shell out $20 for one.

Edited by Mach1bud
Real men drink Coke.

Commander S
Posted (edited)

Well, Elite Dangerous, Monster Hunter World, and a bunch of other games do just fine without pay-to-win schemes or the ability to purchase in-game currency to get around just playing the game, with all gameplay expansions free, and just a paid cosmetics store where you just buy the stuff you want (or not at all), and without things like that being randomised in loot boxes (so you can just buy specific items, rather than throwing money at the game and hoping you get lucky).

Considering Red Dead Online already has bonus DLC outfits and camp themes, I'd actually be totally fine if R* did more of that for RDO in general, rather than going down the GTAO/buy in-game currency route. I've happily bought ship skins for Elite, and I just got the new cosmetic armour/buildings pack for Conan Exiles, without feeling any pressure that I had to buy anything - after all, I only buy the things I want, and I feel no pressure to buy All The Things in the online store.

Helps that they're cheap - again, buying specific things means you're only spending as much money as you want on the exact things you want, rather than over-spending on more in-game currency than you want, rather than having to fork out for the 300 funbucks bundle because the thing you want is 150 funbucks, and buying two 100 funbucks packs actually works out as more expensive than buying one larger bundle... (ED PC does this right, while ED on consoles still makes you buy store credit in bundles - boo, MS and Sony!) :facedesk:

...also, Coke, definitely. Particularly because the current Zero Sugar varieties are all really good. Except peach - no-one likes sugar-free peach Coke, and if someone says they do, they're clearly lying. :p

Edited by Commander S

aquahaze2

I vote Yes for sharkcards because even though I don't use them and the occasional amount of Bullsh*t (Revolter, Lazer, most of I/E) pisses me off it's a system that works and it's a system that ensures I can keep enjoying the game without paying a dime. Take it further then "paid cosmetics" and look at RDR 1s bullsh*t system. You had to pay for updates* and then if someone didn't have the update* you couldn't play with them so the playerbase was f*cked. And the game was f*cked too but that's besides the point. People talk about how GTAO makes them scared for RDR2 but just look at RDR my nigga. You tell me that's the system you like? 

It's like this, should 60 dollar games have microtransactions? No not really. But then at that same time why would you bother to spent time and money making new content for the game if it won't make you anymore money? Sharkcards they strike that balance between business and fun. Sharkcards really don't even effect that much because most sh*t is reasonably priced but then they have that random sh*t that costs like 4x more than it should

RedDagger

I'm a broken record, and I'm not posting my stupid-ass thread,

BUT

cash cards suck because they directly affect the core gameplay in a negative way, the general defence implies that the game would be the same without them, even though the free grindy core and the overarching gameplay layer of buying shiny power-creep is there as a result of, and to facilitate, cash cards. Cosmetics would have their own downsides, but being divorced from gameplay means the gameplay would just be whatever they think is the most engaging, and not whatever makes cash cards seem like Rockstar is being kind and giving you the option of a shortcut instead of the entire reason avoiding the stupid gameplay loop is a desirable option(!). It's the same as any other P2W game, just on the lowest end of P2W. 

Cosmetics would affect cosmetic customisability, almost certainly introduce more gaudy cosmetics and make the game a lil' more pushy about showing you what other people are wearing, but it wouldn't be cash cards so hell yeah. 

Also I don't do soft drinks, drinking those props up a corporate global oligarchy thru HFCS-addicted indentured servitude and mother said it makes me hear things. I'm a distil-collected-rainwater-and-treat-with-chemtrail-neutering-homemade-apple-cider-vinegar-and-urine kinda guy. 

GenericGTAO

I am used to shark cards, so looking at another microtransaction model is appealing because shark cards are such a scam. I would end up missing out on paid items in a game if I have to pay actual money which is why shark cards are ok.  I am able to access all content and not pay anymore.  But GTA has a ton of glitches, I think a rock solid economy would lean me towards items for money.   I would not even mind if the items gave an edge.  As long as the ingame route was attainable against NPC or item less players.

CarimboHanky

mmm my main issue with the cashcards is that i dont think you get enough bang for the buck, i mean $100 gets you a mere 8 million gta$ which is barelyenough to buy a nice suit 😆 

HamwithCheese
1 hour ago, RedDagger said:

being divorced from gameplay means the gameplay would just be whatever they think is the most engaging

See this right here? The root of all gta problems. No overpowered ai, no back and forth schlepping, streamlined businesses available in all lobbies, and possibly more diverse content.

Wishful thinking I know, but it used to actually be this way.

Xiled

How about neither, how about paying $60 and getting a full game experience. These billionaire publishers can easily afford these games. EA for instance told us that the removal of the pay to win loot boxes in starwars battlefront 2017 would not hurt there sales. 

WillProx

Actually, if they'd stop ruining the game balance because of shark sellings, paid cosmetics would be good option. AND if this cosmetics will be a new things, which is not the cutted pieces of DLC.

Ok, enough of this stupid question, let's get to real problems. Pepsi for me, because dietic coke tastes like sh*t, and i can't afford myself to consume sugar

Cackling Jack
Posted (edited)

Id rather have realistic steak over paid cosmetics and shark cards. You get piss all in game money from how much you pay in real life dollars.  Ive made the mistake of bying a shark card before. Also I'ma coke fan but also like pepsi.   

Edited by Cackling Jack

PetrolCB
8 hours ago, No Use For A Name said:

Dr. Pepper is the correct answer to the Coke vs. Pepsi question

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and

Sanches

Better leave donate as it currently is. Don't want to see any paid limited stuff, nor gonna buy some even if it's Pisswasser beerhat/helmet. It's still gonna be low res, glitched, whatever.

Also please add 3rd option to the 3rd question, i don't like any of these two.

SideStunt

Well, technically there already are paid cosmetics in the game. Liveries, clothes, hoods, spoilers, bumpers etc. :lol:

Also, Freeway Cola bitches! 

LunaticPandora

Leave it as cashcards, at least this way people can buy whatever they want with the money they buy, instead of certain items that can only be bought with real money. Also I'm more of an eCola guy myself.

FlacidJack
Posted (edited)

I love and hate sharkcards but in the end I honestly think they are the right way to go for paid updates.

Some players (with extra cash but limited time) buy sharcards and enjoy the results, while I don't buy them yet I get the same results... more free content.

We're collectively reaping the rewards that some players generously donated for more fake cash, they pay for fake cash and we all get more content, that to me is win-win. Much moreso than if each of us had to buy our own extra content.

As for paid cosmetics I'm against that. If something is in my game files I should eventually be able to access it without paying more real money. I still regret spending money in ESO to buy the default cosmetics, the description even states the things I paid extra for are included in the game as I'm clicking the buy option with real money, that's insulting to me. 

Edit: Voted for Coke just to be able to vote but I dislike both, i'm a rootbeer kinda guy. 

Edited by FlacidJack

Laker23

1. They're fine. Seen worse in games.

2. No.

3. Cherry Coke.

irish.chr

Neither. 

This is like asking "How do you prefer being killed? Stabbed, or shot?"

Spider-Vice

1. They would be fine if the game's economy wasn't designed after them. That said, they're still pretty tame forms of microtransactions compared to other games.

2. No.

3. Obvious answer.

R3CON
Posted (edited)

I get that Rockstar wants new ways to monetize but it's still not ideal for the end-user footing the bill.

I prefer the current way comestics and customization is presented: a plethora of individual options with varying prices, but reasonably attainable. GTA being based off a fictionalized Los Angeles with clothing stores and mod shops aplenty, we buy within our means but in a casual as we go pace. Pre-packaged outfits, at a premium price, could cut down on the amount of choice and individual selections we have in the future. We have countless options for hairstyles, shoes, accessories, pants, shirts, combat wear, facepaints, masks, etc already. Rockstar might not be so generous with this aspect of the game if they follow the logic of the OP. 

Sure, these pre-packaged styles could be added to the current slate but eventually there'd be a desire to add performance modifications to accompany the super high price tags. Like a flashy nightclub outfit with the strength of the juggernaut armor and the ability to swim twice as fast 🙄.  Stupid example but it's a slippery slope and we already have a pay-to-play aspect with weaponized content going on already. 

It works in other games - cosmetic mods with or without performance enhancements - but other games aren't as diverse and open-ended as GTA. Fortnite and Overwatch may be compelling PvP stages, but the world in the background isn't as developed as Los Santos and Blaine County. Cosmetics and customization isn't as important or ingrained into the lore of the series. We've been able to buy clothes since Vice City with more customization coming in San Andreas and beyond. It's not just a "skin" for a random battle; but a wide and diverse array of apparel for the player to make their own story. I wouldn't want GTA to take a step back on the progress they've made by hijacking that focus. Higher prices, less options and more unfair combat advantages will eventually follow the push for more sales here. 

As someone who actually customizes their character regularly, I'm wary of this idea since it can easily be exploited. The current model isn't perfect but it's definitely preferable to the alternative described in the OP. 

Edited by R3CON

kcole4001

1&2) I rarely pay real money for game stuff (excepting the actual game itself, and I usually buy that on sale, when the devs have already made their money back-10 fold in this case).

I did buy a couple of expansions for games I really like after finishing the release content, but these were in the $2 range.

Definitely not something I normally consider.

3)

share-1-my-friends-my-friends-0.1.0-2.pn