Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,643 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
VenomDYOM

The Official Natural Disasters Topic

VenomDYOM
Posted (edited)

Have you such felt a natural disaster? Did you have seen it or just watched it on electronic medium? Say it here. 

Is there an frequent disaster happening in your country? Share it with others! (Mine is floods, since 2016).

There are some natural disaster movies out there, (don't read if you watched these) like: 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Geostorm, etc.

Was there a big disaster happened in your country? Answer it here!

Edited by VenomDYOM
Changing name of the topic (again)

universetwisters

I've been through hurricane Irma last year and hurricane Matthew the year before, both of which made me lose power for a week or so. Before that though, I don't remember any hurricanes being that bad.

On the topic of hurricanes, one of my friends lives in a part of New Jersey that got f*cked up after hurricane Sandy and her house was one of the few that didn't get damaged.

∴

I've only ever experienced one mild earthquake in my life, it only lasted a few seconds and barely registered. I was on the computer at my dad's house and it did just enough to wobble the webcam from the top of the monitor. I went upstairs to see if anybody else had felt it and my dad emerged from his bedroom, clad in comedic boxers and clutching a baseball bat. The rumble must have woken him, and his first line of defence was to pole vault out of bed and grab his bat.

I don't know what he planned to do with it. I've never bothered to ask. If he assumed it was a home invader, they'd have to be one hench customer to rattle the house like it did. You'd need something bigger than a baseball bat.

VenomDYOM
Posted (edited)

Oh let me start now. It was 2016, August. 93 litres of water fell into surface of our village nearby Skopje. August 8 was the day of mourning since the flooding, 21 people were dead. And then next month a more likely 2.1 on richter scale earthquake hit us around 5:30 a.m and I was playing GTA San Andreas that day (September 11, 2016) and the maximum earthquake was 5.3 on richter scale. 

Feel bad for Florida since Irma hit them. 

Edited by VenomDYOM

FukNRekd

Earthquakes and wild fires here.

For earthquakes I won't wake up for anything below magnitude 5.0. Been in some biggies, back in the 70s.

Fires make me nervous. Had them very close to two homes , to the point I had to evacuate for a week the latter time.

When there are fires within a few miles of my house I Wil leave work and get the trailer ready for the wife and kids to leave. I won't evacuate again. Stupid LEOs.

Sanches

Nature is peacefull in my lands. That's suprising since we have an open sea.

MyNameHere
Posted (edited)

No, my country is OK.

Edited by MyNameHere

VenomDYOM

I haven't got a disaster since September 2016 (just saying).

Lucy_Woooolfe

I'm very lucky there.

My hometown (Bremen, Northern Germany) is hit annually by massive storm tides, but the city and surroundings have grown and been built to deal with that for centuries. Last time something bad happened was 1981 (I was seven), when many dykes broke and a whole suburb had to be evacuated. It's nothing compared to what we see on the media, only very few died, but for me it really looked like the world was ending. Lightning, thunder, howling Orkan (German hurricane), rain and flood. The river was fast moving backwards. Sirens, and even the old air raid signals left over from WW-II were howling alarms. It left quite an impression with me.

Said suburb is a recreational area with a lake now. Still wondering how small it really is. Back then it felt as if half the city was gone.

VenomDYOM

Our city (Skopje) had the worst earthquake ever in 1555 (I don't know the magnitude) in the country Republic Of Macedonia, it was still ruled Ottoman Empire. Then 26 July, 1963 the city suffered again a earthquake. I think it was 6.1 on richter scale.

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)

Yeah we got a special natural disaster all the time in Cali. The scorching hot sun is f*cking everyone up over especially during these summer days. Been to a few beaches already and damn sunburns hurt like hell. Can't wait till It's gets humid and everyone passes out of heat strokes! (*Sigh*)

On a other note I never experienced any serious disasters in my lifetime thankfully other than a few earthquakes here and there. Biggest one i remember was around the early 2000's at my aunts house as I remeber my cousins shelves and windows were shaking like mad. But other than that It's been safe thankfully again.

Edited by Big_Smiley

GTA_CAT

I also live in a quiet zone, only mild earthquakes (<3,5 degrees) and some occasional storms, my house was struck once by a lightning, luckily a little branch of it. Since I live in the mountains floodings are not a problem. Then having last years worsening droughts there's a wildfire risk but recently we have been told to make a 25m (80 feet) strip of cleared forest surrounding all houses and we have organized groups of volunteer neighbors to fight fires. Finally my parents told me a tornado destroyed some roads and little structures years ago when I was small. As you can see we only suffer small inconveniences and I hope the situation keeps like this.

Constant K

I've experienced the 7.7 magnitude earthquake of 2001. It took many lives and I myself saw multiple people being removed from debris of fallen buildings. Watching all of that was quite shocking for the 9 year old me. Luckily, we only had a couple of cracks in our walls and ceilings.

I've seen other minor calamities like flash flooding and hailstorms but nothing as severe as the earthquake. I remember using thermocol / polystyrene sheets as boats to float on neck deep waters as a kid. It was a mixture of rain and overflowing sewage water though. 🤢 Fun times.

Cutter De Blanc

biggest earthquake i felt was a 5.5

Saw a tornado when I was 6

been through a hurricane when I was two

born during a blizzard

wildfires here every year

I've been through some rain and a little thunder.

Tchuck

Earthquakes. They were nearly a monthly occurrence in Tokyo. Out on the street or at home, it was never a big deal. But at work? On the 18th floor, yeah, that felt terrifying. Really wanted to move back to Kyoto because of them, as I know Tokyo is due a large one soon.

Then of course last week, one of the biggest quakes to ever hit Osaka (magnitude 6 I think, in whatever scale we use in Japan). Felt it on my way to work, just after parking my bicycle. 5 people died, and hundreds were injured, but no structure collapsed, testament to Japan's readiness. Dozens of aftershocks afterwards.

And a magnitude 4 just last night.

I don't freak out about them, just follow procedure about what needs to be done. Wife is always in panic, though.

AiraCobra
Posted (edited)

Back in 2012 Ohio got hit hard in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy we got hit with 100+MPH Winds, Heavy rain that caused flooding and snow on the ground with a shear cold that just ripped though anything you were wearing.

I was living up near Lake Erie at the time and since there was nothing standing in the way the winds just came whipping in and caused our street to flood but luckily not into our homes but it did knock out the power.

With it being late October it was getting cold by the lake and the force of the winds make it even colder and then with out power knocked out we had no heat to keep the house woman we stayed in the house for two days but on the third day it just got so cold we couldn't stay there any longer and went to a hotel paid by the Red Cross it was close to a week later before our power was restored.

It took so long to get our power back because they weren't expecting the storm to hit Ohio like it did they just expected some wind and rains so they sent all around 200 linemen and 1,000 support staff to help out on the coast where Sandy made land fall so we only had a small amount linemen to work on all the down lines we had to wait for enforcement of around 100 from other states such as Montana, Montana, Missouri and Canada to come and help us but New York and Pennsylvania were dealing with issues as well. 

Edited by AiraCobra

VenomDYOM
6 hours ago, Tchuck said:

Earthquakes. They were nearly a monthly occurrence in Tokyo. Out on the street or at home, it was never a big deal. But at work? On the 18th floor, yeah, that felt terrifying. Really wanted to move back to Kyoto because of them, as I know Tokyo is due a large one soon.

Then of course last week, one of the biggest quakes to ever hit Osaka (magnitude 6 I think, in whatever scale we use in Japan). Felt it on my way to work, just after parking my bicycle. 5 people died, and hundreds were injured, but no structure collapsed, testament to Japan's readiness. Dozens of aftershocks afterwards.

And a magnitude 4 just last night.

I don't freak out about them, just follow procedure about what needs to be done. Wife is always in panic, though.

Japan is a target for earthquakes, plus one of the volcanoes erupted several days ago...

Crossbones

I have experienced the disastrous 2015 Nepal earthquake. Just couple of days before that massive earthquake, I visited Nepal and the place where I was staying when the earthquake hit Nepal and surrounding region was close to India-Nepal border. That experience just shook me. I was laying on my bed and all of sudden everything started shaking, first I didn't understood what was going on. The quake just lasted for about 10-12 seconds but that was enough for damage. I was not able to sleep that night. Thousands were killed in that earthquake and equal amount of peope were displaced. 

The place where I live right now there are still many Nepalese families who fled that disaster, they all have lost someone; brother, father, kids. 

That was the only natural disaster, I ever encountred. 

Algonquin Assassin

Where I live in Australia we don't get very many natural disasters like other parts of the world. There was the 1989 Newcastle earthquake, but I was only about 3 so don't remember too much of it. I think it might be one of the only recorded earthquakes too. We don't sit on top of tectonic plates hence the rarity.

In 2007 there were a few days of wild storm activity which led to flooding most of the state. Same thing happened three years ago and experts called it a mini Cyclone. Other than that due to having extremely hot Summers bushfires and dust storms are pretty common. 

VenomDYOM

We in Macedonia have problems with the Saharan dust now. It's gray everywhere in our village.  And yeah, I heard about the flooding in 2007. And about 2015 Nepal, well... it was dangerous as it is. I hope none of these happen to you again.

G's Ah's

I haven't had anything directly affect me. Earlier this year we were hit by a couple of ex-tropical cyclones, one of which hit during a high tide that caused a bit of flooding and really messed up the waterfront. The worst earthquake I've felt was the 7.8 event near Kaikoura back in November 2016. Having mountains separating where I live from the epicentre did a lot to reduce the amount of energy but it still wasn't fun to experience. I knew it was bad when the lights started to flicker and temporarily go out. They're still rebuilding the main highway between Kaikoura and Blenheim. They've repaired what can be repaired and just built entire new sections where they needed to, as parts of the road were raised by as much as four metres. 

Other than that, the only bad thing I can think of was a rainfall event in December 2011 where a rain front stalled over central New Zealand, dropping as much as 21 inches of rain in 48 hours. People were evacuated because the soil was so saturated hillsides began collapsing. The council is still dealing with the damage and preparation from that event.

My brother's girlfriend used to live in Christchurch and was waiting in the city's main bus terminal when the 2011 earthquake hit. She ran outside and just made it out before it partially collapsed. An elderly woman tried grabbing onto her and she had to push her away and she wasn't sure if she made it out. Because all the public transport and the roads around the city were badly damaged, she had to walk home and passed people being pulled out from rubble, as well as dead bodies. 

Short Stay
On 6/21/2018 at 4:18 PM, VenomDYOM said:

Oh let me start now. It was 2016, August. 93 litres of water fell into surface of our village nearby Skopje. August 8 was the day of mourning since the flooding, 21 people were dead. And then next month a more likely 2.1 on richter scale earthquake hit us around 5:30 a.m and I was playing GTA San Andreas that day (September 11, 2016) and the maximum earthquake was 5.3 on richter scale. 

Feel bad for Florida since Irma hit them. 

93 litres of water? That's about one showers worth. Did you mean 93 meters? Now that would piss off anyone's day.

Lucy_Woooolfe

^ 93 litres (or mm) per square meter, I guess; and within a few hours, by the look of it. That is pretty much rain.

VenomDYOM
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Short Stay said:

93 litres of water? That's about one showers worth. Did you mean 93 meters? Now that would piss off anyone's day.

93 litres per square meter.

Edited by VenomDYOM

Short Stay

We are having a mini natural disaster at the moment in the UK (we don't get real big ones here).  Saddleworth Moor is alight and burning along a 6km front. 50 or so houses have been evacuated.  Apparently "Ash is falling like rain", according to one local resident. Incidentley Saddleworth Moor featured in one of Britain's worse child serial killer cases.

Jon Jon

Since I live in Oklahoma, I'm definitely no stranger to natural disasters. I've lost my home in the infamous May 3, 1999 tornado right before my 7th birthday. Then years later I came close to losing my home, and possibly my life, in the May 20, 2013 tornado that I ended up recording on camera as I was heading for safety.