4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Slow WiFi

*gta star*

Hello there,

I'm looking for some guidance & was wondering if you could help me. I have BT internet and a relatively new BT Smart Hub - All the ports on it are currently used for Sky TV, a PS4 etc. I've noticed that the WiFi signal has never been very good in certain parts of the house & typically, these are the areas that need it most for general purposes like using a Laptop, or browsing on a phone without using mobile data & so forth. I think the hub simply isn't able to disperse the WiFi signal to the rooms I need it in most because its a large property with thick walls. The property was extended fairly recently & all the older wiring from the old part of the house was fed into the new extension & my computer has ended up being in a fixed place so to speak because the phone line that connects to the hub is very short, allowing literally no option for me to put the hub anywhere else. Admittedly, wiring for the computer at the time of building wasn't really at the top of the agenda & as a result, this is affecting my signal I believe.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I could get signal to the areas that get very little at the moment without having to move my computer & wiring etc? I don't want to create a mammoth task out of this ideally, as I'd have to start lifting carpets etc & moving wiring to a new location.

I've been reading about WiFi extenders, but they seem to have mixed reviews? I also read that they create a secondary network that you'd have to manually connect to from say a mobile or Laptop, just so you get the best signal - This was my interpretation of it anyway. If there's an option, I'd prefer if mobiles etc could connect to the existing network automatically, without the need to connect to secondary networks manually. 

I'd be grateful for your input & any suggestions you have. Thank you for reading this.

*gta star* 

• 2 weeks later...
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 6/20/2018 at 5:38 PM, *gta star* said:

Hello there,

I'm looking for some guidance & was wondering if you could help me. I have BT internet and a relatively new BT Smart Hub - All the ports on it are currently used for Sky TV, a PS4 etc. I've noticed that the WiFi signal has never been very good in certain parts of the house & typically, these are the areas that need it most for general purposes like using a Laptop, or browsing on a phone without using mobile data & so forth. I think the hub simply isn't able to disperse the WiFi signal to the rooms I need it in most because its a large property with thick walls. The property was extended fairly recently & all the older wiring from the old part of the house was fed into the new extension & my computer has ended up being in a fixed place so to speak because the phone line that connects to the hub is very short, allowing literally no option for me to put the hub anywhere else. Admittedly, wiring for the computer at the time of building wasn't really at the top of the agenda & as a result, this is affecting my signal I believe.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I could get signal to the areas that get very little at the moment without having to move my computer & wiring etc? I don't want to create a mammoth task out of this ideally, as I'd have to start lifting carpets etc & moving wiring to a new location.

I've been reading about WiFi extenders, but they seem to have mixed reviews? I also read that they create a secondary network that you'd have to manually connect to from say a mobile or Laptop, just so you get the best signal - This was my interpretation of it anyway. If there's an option, I'd prefer if mobiles etc could connect to the existing network automatically, without the need to connect to secondary networks manually. 

I'd be grateful for your input & any suggestions you have. Thank you for reading this.

*gta star* 

The only thing I can think of that would work for you perfectly is a device called eero, Which I have myself as I have the same problem and it works great as it works like it's own little wifi router but question is are you able to buy it and use it outside of the U.S.

You'll have to do some research to see if you can maybe find it on an Euro site such as Euro Amazon but it's also not cheap either but here's the link.

https://eero.com/shop/home-wifi-system?gclid=CjwKCAjwmufZBRBJEiwAPJ3LpvPFtshDa9DTI-INSQpEQhtl7y8aX9ftN2ITg9n6h-eIwydl9k4DERoCWCgQAvD_BwE