2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Miamivicecity

How would you rate Vice City's map?

How would you rate Vice City's map out of 10?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Please rate

Miamivicecity

Personally I rate Vice City's map 8/10. It only looses a couple of points for the oversized beach and its size. Other than that I still enjoy exploring the map to this day.

Its strength IMO comes from the unique interiors and variety of areas even for such a small landmass. Even though I wish it was a bit bigger I can't deny R* utlised every corner leaving no wasted space behind.

What about you guys?

TheSantader25

Actually the size is sort of equal to GTA 3 map although it doesn't seem like it. I give it 8/10.it could have been bigger but the whole map was unique. 

Utopianthumbs
Posted (edited)

Another 8/10 from me. As already said the size of the beach is a real sore point and the map could have been bigger but VC is beautiful otherwise and has some really good interiors like Malibu Club, Fort Baxter Air base, North point mall etc that made it worth exploring imo

Edited by Utopianthumbs

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Actually I don't have a problem with the beach. I want a HD version of it in GTA VI. A man can only dream. It's gonna be beautiful. Vespucci beach is one the most beautiful places in GTA 5 in my opinion. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Utopianthumbs
Posted (edited)

Yeah but the beach did take a rather large amount of space of the map with nothing much there(the lighthouse was cool though)as compared to V where the beach was more populated and didn't take nearly as much space proportionately. It was a decent effort for 2002 though and if GTA VI is set in VC I've no doubt the beaches are going to be gorgeous. 

Edited by Utopianthumbs

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)

Like what everyone else said, 8/10. I know the game was made in 9 months but the map could have been WAY bigger and they could have been more interiors. Nonetheless, the map is still awesome to play in.

Edited by Penguin Bob

Neptune Homme

I gave it a 3. Honestly, VC's map is one of the reasons I dislike it as a game. There's not a great deal of room to actually go driving in between missions. Having a map as small as VC reduces the tedium traveling to and from mission markers, but in my downtime I like to just peel through whatever city the game is presenting me and have a good time. I don't feel the same freedom in VC as I do in SA, and even III gives me the illusion of a broader city somehow. I can't put my finger on it, but in III I actually feel like I'm going somewhere. SA didn't have to project such an illusion because the map is rather large by itself, and I feel like I have plenty of room to gallop should I feel the need to.

The areas in VC are represented well, I will say that. The strip of hotels is glamorous and atmospheric, the slums are rendered beautifully and downtown is exactly how I imagine that default 1980s skyrise to look. Unfortunately, there's just not enough of it. I feel like I take two corners and I'm already catapulted into another area.

Maybe 3 is too harsh based on this reasoning. I don't know. 

Femme Fatale

8 for reasons already stated.

Evil empire

8/10 because it forces me to make long detours between Little Havana and the airport in some sub-missions, the choice of itineraries is reduced to enjoy the speed bonus in the taxi job, the beach is too big and empty and the lack of space around the City.

Blaze

I'd probably give the map a solid 5 at most, the main problem really lies with the fact that it feels like they just slapped the islands up around two main roads and a good majority of the space is underutilized or simply wasted; if you look at a map of East Island the entire beach runs the length of the island and is probably about the same width wise yet aside from a little off road track it's absolutely empty. The mainland also has wasted space, for example that second airport building with a runway too small for anything to land and no way of those actual airliners to get out. Also as mentioned above it seems like very rough transitioning from area to area which is a shame as the areas are indeed done fairly well (aside from Little Haiti which looks like a cut and paste job) but one second you're in bustling downtown, next you're in the slums surrounded by gang members then you're at the docks or the airport. The East Island feels fairly consistent but the Mainland feels like you're hopping from one area to another very quickly.

There's also other little things that irk me such as how it looks like the stadium was just slapped on the end of the map, that unused space that runs from Little Haiti all the way up to the stadium, empty space near the bomb shop etc.

Miamivicecity
2 hours ago, Blaze said:

I'd probably give the map a solid 5 at most, the main problem really lies with the fact that it feels like they just slapped the islands up around two main roads and a good majority of the space is underutilized or simply wasted; if you look at a map of East Island the entire beach runs the length of the island and is probably about the same width wise yet aside from a little off road track it's absolutely empty. The mainland also has wasted space, for example that second airport building with a runway too small for anything to land and no way of those actual airliners to get out. Also as mentioned above it seems like very rough transitioning from area to area which is a shame as the areas are indeed done fairly well (aside from Little Haiti which looks like a cut and paste job) but one second you're in bustling downtown, next you're in the slums surrounded by gang members then you're at the docks or the airport. The East Island feels fairly consistent but the Mainland feels like you're hopping from one area to another very quickly.

There's also other little things that irk me such as how it looks like the stadium was just slapped on the end of the map, that unused space that runs from Little Haiti all the way up to the stadium, empty space near the bomb shop etc.

Now you mention it the stadium does look like it's been tacked on. It just doesn't flow well with the rest of downtown. Every GTA has atleast one area that feels like it wasn't given as much as attention as the rest and honestly the downtown area is my least favourite part.

Neptune Homme

Downtown always holds a special place in my heart though, because during a recent playthrough of VC I decided to collect all the hidden packages first, which also meant crossing over to the second island early. With the money I earned from the packages (not to mention my vigilante/paramedic mission binge), I was able to buy the Hyman Condo before I'd even touched the first set of missions. That was its own reward.