3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

TheHunter1203

Is it wrong destroying someones cargo?

TheHunter1203
Posted (edited)

Today the day me and my little group of friends were in a public session. We were doing some business related work until my friend suggested to sell his full hangar of crates. I normally don’t do this with big shipments like these as it’s too much of a risk. My friend on the other hand wanted to take that risk and what do you bet, an off radar jet blew half the shipment up into dust. 

I responded a little rough at first because clearly it’s not a nice thing to do. People just want to make money and if the game gives you a message to destroy it, it doesn’t mean you have to go ahead and ruin all the time he spend to get all of it together just for a small loan of 2.000$.

So I came up to him telling him my opinion (as stated above) and he fully disagreed. The message that comes up in the game, he couldn’t stop mentioning anything else. “It tells me to destroy it”. This is just implemented into the game so players fight each other and spend more money which results into more profit for the business.

Is it wrong destroying someones cargo? Opinions differ obviously but I’d like to hear from the community what theirs is about this topic.

Edited by slohbur
Removed white background

Rafae
Posted (edited)

If you have to ask, probably.

Edited by Rafae

IamCourtney

It isn't wrong, but it isn't nice either.

REXX
Posted (edited)

Had to highlight to read.

I don't destroy peoples cargo for two reasons:

A: I don't play in public sessions.

B: A.

In an open-world game, people are free to do what they want. If they want to destroy someones cargo, so be it. If you are willing to take the risk, great. But a lot of people tend to play risk free with solo public sessions, due to hours of work going down the drain in a matter of seconds.

Edited by REXX

RANDOMv2

Considering the time that it takes to get all of the cargo ready to sell then my answer is yes.  Yes it is a complete D-bag move to go and destroy someone else's product if they have not provoked you in any way.  There is no redeemable reason for it.  You wait the 3 hours to build up a one truck sale for a quarter million and then have some nobody come in and destroy it and see how right it feels.  What does the person get?  $2000?  Fireworks?  Ammo?  Whoopty doo.  Yes, you suck if you destroy cargo unprovoked.

Xaviacat

I don't think that it's "wrong" since, as he replied, the game does tell you to destroy it BUT I do think it is a dick move. 

No Homing
Posted (edited)

RIP

It's not wrong.

But, if you can, better to steal it!

Edited by No Homing

LunaticPandora

I'm just interested to know how much it pays. I know you barely get 9 grand for destroying someone's fortified boxville, so do you really get anything for blowing up someone's cargo?

No Use For A Name

Eye for an eye. 

If they destroy your supplies, do the same to theirs

If they destroy your sale, do the same to theirs

Otherwise, leave people be. 

No Homing
6 minutes ago, LunaticPandora said:

I'm just interested to know how much it pays. I know you barely get 9 grand for destroying someone's fortified boxville, so do you really get anything for blowing up someone's cargo?

Lol you get more than 9 grand for that.

FukNRekd

Usually. Unless they are/were f*cking with other peoples sh*t. Then it's anything goes INO.

Destroying sourced supplies I'm on the fence about. Less time lost and all that.

kcole4001

It really depends on how you define wrong, it's entirely situational.

I know for sure it is pretty fuxing rude, if unprovoked.

If it happens in a session full of mayhem already going on, it's a stupid move to try and claim the 'high demand' bonus unless your gang is good and play as a well oiled machine to defend the sale operation.

THAT is what the original intent likely was, why the game is programmed to urge you to attack other players:  to get people to work as a team.

That is supposedly what multiplayer is about, or at least that's what's claimed by most MP fans.

Doesn't happen much, mind you.

Maddened_Ghost

I don't destroy people's stuff because

It's not worth it and because I was on the other side where I also collected cargo for hours to fill up a warehouse so I know how much of a struggle that is.

I do however take revenge on people destroying my stuff by going after theirs if they are stupid enough to make the sell mission in the same lobby.

Recommended

It all boils down to personal morals, right and wrong.

Players are free to do as they please. If they want to gun you down, they are allowed to do that. If they want to blow up your stuff, they're also free to do that, and you can do it yourself.

In the end, it's personally morals. A lot of players don't think twice on the damge they cause to other players and how it would affect them. GTA Online is every man for himself in this regard.

You don't need to put yourself onto someone elses level and get revenge.

For me, I choose to be the respectful player, which I generally am in a lot of games. I only kill if the game gives me no other choice. But in GTA Online, you have the choice here, it's however you as the player deals with it, and you don't need to copy how others play the game. It's not unfair or wrong, it's just other players choose to be an ass most of the time.

Sanches

The greatest sin humanity ever experienced...

MisFit-138

I'd say, I thinks it's wrong of R* to incentivise destroying cargo. It's just too easy. I personally think a better model to promote pvp would be "steal the cargo" and penalize any cargo destruction at all. It would even the playing field, Deluxos, Hydras, and Oppressors would basically become civilian vehicles at that point.

Big Molio

Within the conceit of the game, which invites players to be adversarial to each other, no, it is not wrong.

The players subjectively decide whether it is wrong based on their own opinion of it I guess, as obvious as that sounds.

Cutter De Blanc

I feel bad when I destroy other peoples' shipments.

I don't do cargo missions myself

bombkangaroo

Since the reward is so measly it might aswell not exist, and there is no challenge or sport involved, there's no rational incentive to do so. Destroying people's cargo gets done for a single reason alone, to cause that other person's time playing the game to be less enjoyable. That is griefing, which is irredeemably wrong. I see people put videos on youtube about destroying [that one youtuber everyone hates for his endless stream of clickbait]'s cargo like it's some badge of honour to have ruined his livestream and his afternoon. (whatever you may think about his content, he should at least be able to enjoy the game) They don't do it because it's hard, or they're achieving anything, you can tell from their video titles alone that the reason they're doing it is to hurt someone else, they're just spiteful pricks. 

kenmy13999

Better question is: are you an ass/moron/idiot (you probably know what I mean ;) )  if you do it?

bocephus

No it isn't. What a silly question.

Is it wrong to make a sale without setting MTU = ~800 and going into an empty session with just optional friends, and then whining about getting your sh*t blown up? Yes, wrong and stupid.

Claude4Catalina

I dont do it but honestly if you're selling in an open session with a whole load of players, you're a legit target.  Thats the risk, like if you play TDM on a FPS game you expect to die, if you go in the Dark Zone on The Division and get steamrolled by a level 99 then thems the breaks.  By stepping into a PvP environment you pretty relinquish any right to quibble as you're relying on other players being merciful.

Don't get me wrong it sucks but thats the environment, sometimes the try-hard answer of "git gud" does apply, but that doesn't mean become a sweatbox in a Deluxo; session hopping until you find an empty one is a good counter for example.

Fun 2
Posted (edited)

I just find it hilarious how people waste actual effort into destroying your cargo. You can't compare it to the effort you and your friends spend during heists because it involve the extreme conditions of tricking your prey. You aren't going against stupid NPCs who can't tell the difference between a Deluxo and a Faggio.

Edited by Fun 2

Mach1bud

It is definitely morally wrong. 

HamwithCheese

"I'm gonna spend time and a good amount of money blowing up this dudes stuff for 2000 dollars because the game told me I could"

- Someone who is wrong

Slam_Jones
Posted (edited)

Come on now, without other players trying to attack you, it's far too easy.  High reward?  Then there should be a high risk.  Low reward?  Low risk.

Sure, I've lost shipments due to other players... but do I blame them?  Of course not!  They get money for destroying my sh*t, just as I get money for selling my sh*t.

If someone doesn't want any opposition, then they can find themselves a solo public lobby, or find another game to play.

Generally, I'm not going to go out of my way to wreck your shipment, but if I'm flying over and get a lock-on... well I'm gonna fire a few missiles.

Plus, if I'm in an MC or CEO group, and my boss is going after you, well, I'm gonna follow their lead.

TL;DR - It's an Open-World PvP game.  Expect to be attacked, especially if your opposition gets paid for it.

Edited by Slam_Jones
I suck at grammar

Smokewood

It's a game, and it's fun... 

By trying to sell in a public lobby you are saying that you want someone to try and blow up your stuff... why else would you try this if not for the challenge? 

Maddened_Ghost
Posted (edited)

I should've added this to my previous account but anyway ...

you know what? I'd accept it if I get to upgrade my selling vehicles the way I  want and I choose them wisely for each sale, but locking me up to a slow post op van in a public lobby where a deluxo is a thing is stupid.

In this game, the whole High-Risk/High reward is some garbage logic, especially with the unbalanced free-roam.

So yeah, morally? it is stupid and idiotic, if Rockstar's telling me to do so, I'm not falling for it.

Edited by The-Ghost

D9fred95
13 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Come on now, without other players trying to attack you, it's far too easy.  High reward?  Then there should be a high risk.  Low reward?  Low risk.

Tell that to the infinitely respawning enemies that took 7k off my I/E car because of their tendency to spawn 50 meters in front of you with their Terminator accuracy.

DangerZ0neX

Is it wrong to destroy someone's car?

Is it wrong to tamper with their personal property?

Is it wrong to graffiti hateful messages/symbols?

Unless if the person whose cargo you're destroying has been destroying other people's cargo, the answer is always yes.