Sign in to follow this  
TheSantader25

Character Switching in next GTA

Character Swithing in the next GTA  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Just One character
    • Same system as V but with more than a 100 missions
    • Same system as V but let us switch whenever during the mission so it's not linear
    • 2 and 3

TheSantader25

So despite the fact that some ppl didn't like the 3 character system in V, I feel like the game's mission diversity could be a disaster if we didn't have character switches and the game could fail. So I feel like a reworked system could be needed in the next GTA. What do you guys think? 

If you guys think we should have one character, what can R* do to bring diversity and fun missions to the game in your opinion? 

Algonquin Assassin

One protagonist like the majority of GTA games. Very few games with more than one protagonist make me feel invested in them and usually one of the characters end up feeling underdeveloped like Franklin.

TheSantader25
1 minute ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

One protagonist like the majority of GTA games. Very few games with more than one protagonist make me feel invested in them and usually one of the characters end up feeling undedeveloped like Franklin.

I understand your point but I feel like they NEED to find a way to fix mission design. 

A mission design like previous GTAs won't work anymore. 

Am Shaegar

I don't think Rockstar will repeat multiple protags another time in HD era after already having done in IV and V. Single protag also seems quite less likely as opposed to having two protagonists in the next game, maybe a male and a female one.

Utopianthumbs
Posted (edited)

Depends on the kind of story they are trying to tell. For a story as expansive as for eg SA multiple protagonists would work well. If it's done right it could give a sense of non linearity in missions. I liked the multi protagonist system in V especially for free roaming but at the same time I don't want them to put it just for the sake of it as then it'll simply feel like a gimmick. I don't want them to give up on the mechanic just yet cause it has potential but they should make sure all the characters get equal screen time and not just tack it on merely as a selling point when it doesn't help the story. Unless they're absolutely sure they can do that, i think one protagonist will be better for a more focused story

Edited by Utopianthumbs

TheSantader25
35 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Depends on the kind of story they are trying to tell. For a story as expansive as for eg SA multiple protagonists would work well. If it's done right it could give a sense of non linearity in missions. I liked the multi protagonist system in V especially for free roaming but at the same time I don't want them to put it just for the sake of it as then it'll simply feel like a gimmick. I don't want them to give up on the mechanic just yet cause it has potential but they should make sure all the characters get equal screen time and not just tack it on merely as a selling point when it doesn't help the story. Unless they're absolutely sure they can do that, i think one protagonist will be better for a more focused story

Agreed. If they ever have a map with vc sa lc at the same time and have 3 protags starting from 3 different states trying to build an empire and have a competitive relationship rather than a friendy one I think it could be cool. 

The Eddo

One protagonist is more than enough already.

MojoGamer

You forgot to include a vote for 2 protagonists only, so I cannot vote.

Aquamaniac
Posted (edited)

I opened once a thread and suggested two playable characters that are on opposing sides, as if you could switch between Niko and Luis in IV. Their stories should be intertwined but they should not know from each other, at least until the end.

One character should be a woman or being fully customizable, not becauce I am a SJW, but because I like playing women in 3rd person games.

Edited by Aquamaniac

VictorVance1239

Really hope they don't go back to one character. 

TheSantader25
On 6/29/2018 at 6:37 AM, VictorVance1239 said:

I'm mostly afraid of two characters. I rather have one or three but having two characters(especially a man and a woman) is cliche and switching between two can be boring. 

Journey_95
On 6/29/2018 at 4:07 AM, VictorVance1239 said:

Really hope they do. 3 characters for GTA V didn't add much and felt unnecessary.

RDR2 already only has one MC and hopefully people respond well so Rockstar goes back to that permanently

On 6/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, Aquamaniac said:

I opened once a thread and suggested two playable characters that are on opposing sides, as if you could switch between Niko and Luis in IV. Their stories should be intertwined but they should not know from each other, at least until the end.

One character should be a woman or being fully customizable, not becauce I am a SJW, but because I like playing women in 3rd person games.

Female protagonist for GTA? Feel like that could go wrong real fast. Rockstar has yet to deliver on a really great female character (although they came close a few times) and in general you just know that people would get upset no matter how its handled.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Journey_95 said:

Really hope they do. 3 characters for GTA V didn't add much and felt unnecessary.

RDR2 already only has one MC and hopefully people respond well so Rockstar goes back to that permanently

Female protagonist for GTA? Feel like that could go wrong real fast. Rockstar has yet to deliver on a really great female character (although they came close a few times) and in general you just know that people would get upset no matter how its handled.

Sadie looks promising in RDR2. as for myself I liked Catalina, Karen. Some people enjoyed Bonnie and Abigail from RDR. However a Female Protagonist would not work in a GTA. it could ruin the game single handedly 

Edited by TheSantader25

Black_Jesus

They would have to make her look trashy or classy via customization like Trevor.

VictorVance1239
14 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

So whos to say Rockstar can't do a better job at it the next time around just because it didn't appeal to you and some others the first time around? No it is not a good idea to just give up on something after only one attempt. 

Aquamaniac
22 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Sadie looks promising in RDR2. as for myself I liked Catalina, Karen. Some people enjoyed Bonnie and Abigail from RDR. However a Female Protagonist would not work in a GTA. it could ruin the game single handedly 

Why do you think so? I'd prefer a fully customizable character though.

TheSantader25
6 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Why do you think so? I'd prefer a fully customizable character though.

You could literally put a female protagonist in any game but GTA. It just doesn't feel right. And I can't explain why because it's just some sort of feeling that does not feel right. I don't know why. 

Crossbones

Just one protagonist like majority of GTAs. 

The idea of three protagonist in V was innovative and could have worked very well, but I think they couldn't execute it properly like Franklin could not get much attention due to Micheal and Trevor and the no. of missions too were quite less. 

And, the idea of fully customizable protagonist like Online is pure nonsense IMO.

TheSantader25
2 hours ago, Crossbones said:

The idea of three protagonist in V was innovative and could have worked very well, but I think they couldn't execute it properly like Franklin could not get much attention due to Micheal and Trevor and the no. of missions too were quite less. 

And, the idea of fully customizable protagonist like Online is pure nonsense IMO.

The Switch system and the multiple protagonist was a brilliant idea to fix the mission structure but it was underused. 69 missions wasn't enough for 3 protagonists. If it had like 90+ missions especially more for Franklin to help his character we could have a brilliant storyline. GTA Online f*cked this brilliant idea. 

Aquamaniac
3 hours ago, Crossbones said:

I'd say a fully customizable character is better for immersion, a "fixed" character better for movie-like storytelling (like in Max Payne), in an open world I'd choose immersion over story telling if you get what I mean. I mean GTA does not live from its protagonist (like Max Payne) but from its gameplay, the gameplay won't change with the character or do some people fear that GTA might become to similar to Saints Row?

Tycek
Posted (edited)

One properly written character would be much better than 3 paper cut-outs we got in V. 

Edited by Tycek

Crossbones
16 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

I'd say a fully customizable character is better for immersion, a "fixed" character better for movie-like storytelling (like in Max Payne), in an open world I'd choose immersion over story telling if you get what I mean. I mean GTA does not live from its protagonist (like Max Payne) but from its gameplay, the gameplay won't change with the character or do some people fear that GTA might become to similar to Saints Row?

I get your point. But, I do find this idea ridiculous because like you said a 'fixed' character is better for storytelling and the primary focus for me is a solid storyline, though there are some exceptions. Character customization is good until it's just about hairstyles, facial hair, even body type like fat, muscular, skinny but choosing the skin color of your protagonist in GTA is quite too much. Imagine a black protagonist in GTA LCS with the exact storyline, it would look weird, right. 

And fearing that GTA might become Saints Row, we already have flying cars in GTAO. 

Aquamaniac

It depends on the kind of story telling, for the most time I played first person shooters were the protagonist is virtually irrelevant, you do not have to stage a story like in GTA 5 were there is a huge focus on the characters, you can be a nameless goon and the action evolves around you, no matter who you are or look like.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tycek said:

One properly written character would be much better than 3 paper cut-outs we got in V. 

Yes but hopefully it's not another war veteran moaning about his past while killing people for MONEY. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Jack Lupino

As long as they tell a great story and give us a great gameplay i dont care about number of protags.

But if GTA 6 has a huge map like 5 multiple protags would be better.

We also need more number of  missions.

I kinda liked the switch system in GTA 5 it helped me a lot to finding those damn letter scraps.

It would have been a pain in the ass to travel across such a huge map with one character😅

Tycek
15 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Yes but hopefully it's not another war veteran moaning about his past while killing people for MONEY. 

Quite ironic that first character that came to your mind when I said about properly written character was Niko. Seems to me like some kind of obsession ;)

TheSantader25
7 minutes ago, Tycek said:

Quite ironic that first character that came to your mind when I said about properly written character was Niko. Seems to me like some kind of obsession ;)

It's hard to avoid Niko when every thread you make related to protagonists is full of people d*ck riding niko even for personality or physical traits he does not have. So yeah why SHOULDN'T he come to my mind. 

Lioshenka

I'd like 1 protagonist. I want one perspective on the game, one well-written story, ein Reich. Oh wait.

If they want to add more protagonists, then just do a different game, like they did with Gay Tony and that biker gang in GTA 4.

ThatBenGuy

I'd have to go with just one protagonist like the vast majority of other GTA games. Having more than one protagonist can become a little too much to keep up with. I would also like for that specific protagonist to be from somewhere in the urban northeast or urban midwest, and a member of either the Italian, Irish, Russian, Polish, or Jewish crime families. However, I would like to see Niko, Luis, and possibly even Claude as well become friends or contacts that you can either hang out with or call for backup. Seriously, I think I'll have to write out my ideas for GTA VI out in the Writer's Discussion section of this site because I have some pretty good ideas for the next GTA game! ;)