Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (93,064 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Quinn_flower

The Elder Scrolls VI

Edward Nashton
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Melchior said:

My head cannon is that the Crowns are Moorish Spain (so a blending of the Middle East and Europe) and the Forebears are styled on tribal Africans (but in an advanced, settled society) just like your idea. That is probably not going to happen though, Hammerfell will almost definitely be Middle Eastern and the elves will almost definitely be Tolkienesque. I'm surprised how much faith people have in Bethesda. Like, do people think Oblivion and Skyrim were just flukes and that they're still capable of Morrowind-tier worldbuilding and lore? Bethesda has fallen off and is only interested in releasing bland, safe games. 

As for me, I'm not really interested in waiting half a decade for this, then another couple of years for mods to make it interesting and lore friendly. I'd rather wait 10-15 years for Tamriel Rebuilt/Proect Tamriel.

I don't think you're too far off with the Redguard lore, although from what I understand it's the Crowns that still maintain the culture of Yokuda, the continent Redguards originally came from, a lot of their naming conventions resemble sub-Saharan languages - "R'gada" (eventually evolving into "Redguard") for example. I wouldn't completely dismiss seeing what you described in the next game if it is set in Hammerfell - I mean, the Nords in Skyrim weren't completely culturally homogeneous - you had some that resembled the more civilized post-Pagan Scandinavians and others that looked and acted like stereotypical barbaric fantasy Vikings, and we had the Skaal which I think were based on nomadic tribes from Russia(?). And then there are the Bretons who have a similar situation as the Redguards, - mainstream Bretons who are completely assimilated to Tamrielan society and are based on real world French, Celtic, and Anglo-Saxon cultures - and the Reachmen (Forsworn) who live by the old tribal ways and are specifically based on the Gauls.

I'm pretty sure things will shake out in similar fashion if this is set in Hammerfell. I mean, Redguards physically look like black people, it would be weird if Bethesda says "nope, they're Arabs now because reasons" - they have to acknowledge their real world counterpart if they're gonna go all the way with Hammerfell. Also, I know the Elves in Elder Scrolls have always been inspired by Tolkien, but it's just the look  the Altmer have in the marketing for the Summerset isle expansion that bugs me, they look like Peter Jackson LOTR elves

Spoiler

Related image

If it weren't for that Khajiit, I'd think this would be for Shadow of War.

They just look so bland to me. What aliens are to Sci-fi, Elves should be to Fantasy. They shouldn't just look like regular humans with pointy ears, I think.

Edited by Edward Nashton

Dryspace

@Edward Nashton

In my opinion, Peter Jackson's LOTR elves, especially the principal characters, looked exactly like regular humans with pointy ears. I was extremely disappointed that he went with established actors rather then deliberately choosing capable actors with similarly unusual morphologies.

Static
Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, Edward Nashton said:

They just look so bland to me. What aliens are to Sci-fi, Elves should be to Fantasy. They shouldn't just look like regular humans with pointy ears, I think.

tfw someone says you're just a human with pointy ears.

_81300586_81300585.jpg

Edited by Static

Dryspace

@Static

You forgot slanty eyebrows.

Edward Nashton
5 hours ago, Static said:

tfw someone says you're just a human with pointy ears.

_81300586_81300585.jpg

Lol yeah, but Stark Trek lore explains why Humans and Vulcans look similar to each other, in almost all fantasy works Elves and Humans have completely separate origins, definitely in Elder Scrolls. You're actually illustrating @Dryspace 's post, Leonard Nimoy (R.I.P) had a unique enough look to him that all you had to do to sell him as an alien was glue some pointy ears on him and draw some angry eyebrows on his face. He looks way more interesting than these boring looking mofos 

Image result for lotr elf

(Maybe I'm missing something and there's a footnote in the Silmarillion that says elves and humans have a common ancestor???)

I'm just nit-picking, though - I actually really like the Peter Jackson films and I know the main reason the elves look the way they do is likely due to budget constraints, it would cost a fortune to use elaborate makeup or digital effects on every single one of those actors and extras in order to make them look 'otherworldly'. I do expect more creativity when it comes to video game elves, though, I really liked God of War's interpretation of light elves and dark elves, I was afraid they were going to go with the typical sexy lady elves and androgynous dude elves that I've grown sick of seeing in video games. 

APB
On 6/26/2018 at 3:03 PM, Edward Nashton said:

Be warned. You have been marked by the Thalmor.

Dryspace

Also, lol...I'm pretty sure that in Jackson's movies, almost 100% of the time the elves all take care to make sure their ears aren't obscured by their hair. "I'm an elf, dammit! LOOK AT MY EARS!"

To think, Sam may have unknowingly seen real elves before, except they happened to have their hair down.

DarksunDaFirst
13 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Also, lol...I'm pretty sure that in Jackson's movies, almost 100% of the time the elves all take care to make sure their ears aren't obscured by their hair. "I'm an elf, dammit! LOOK AT MY EARS!"

To think, Sam may have unknowingly seen real elves before, except they happened to have their hair down.

Well, if you've been alive for a few thousand years and never have to worry about hair loss...you probably figured it wise how best to wear your hair spent at least a few centuries developing the perfect conditioner and spray.