Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,777 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

fw3

[GTAO] omg! Why are You STILL Playing This Game?

fw3

Being a teacher, kid's gaming fads come and go like the weekly trash pickup.

Two years ago, they were all in for GTAO, but then Battlefield came out.
This year, Far Cry made the list until Fortnite all but took over.

I was talking with a few kids this past week, and I asked who was excited about Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out.
To my surprise, a lot more kids than I expected are really looking forward to it.
One kid said, "it's like Grand Theft Auto meets Skyrim in the Old West... it's going to be awesome!"
I agreed, and then apparently made the mistake of saying, "Well, I'm still playing GTA and have no plans to stop."

That's when the looks came at me and the confusion set in.
Another kid said, with a cracked smile as if he was baiting me, "Wait... you STILL play GTA? WHY?"

A bunch of kids laughed and others thought it was cool that I still play "that old game."

But, what I didn't expect to come out of my mouth surprised even me.
"Because it's fun?" I said, almost with the tone of a question.

Another kid replied, "Yeah, it would be fun if they made GTA more like Fortnite."
I wanted to crawl under my desk.

I sincerely had no real comeback or explanation why I continue to play a five year old game that I've pretty much exhausted.
And to be honest, I really don't even find it to be ALL that fun, anymore.

So, TL;DR, I have no real definitive explanation as to why I continue to play GTAO – I just enjoy it, which is kind of a flat reason.
What is YOUR reason for continuing to play GTAO and how would YOU have responded to these students!
I'd love to come back tomorrow with something more concrete than, "cuz it's fun." lol!

Cheers! :)

p55fvjzkzUuobK54xlT-gQ_0_0.jpg

Pedinhuh

I play it merely because no other game has the amount of content and possibilities this game has, it kind of become a second home to me.

I also have been playing GT Sport too, I'm waiting until something interesting comes up on PS+ while I also save money for GOW4.

Shadowfennekin

Yeah, like Fortnite is more fun than GTA 🙄

Kids only like Fortnite because it's easy and entirely up to RNG if they win

GTA's fun because you can basically do whatever you want to do, all you can do in Fortnite is kill other players. You can't go on killing rampages, hang out with your buddies, race, rob a bank.... or even drive vehicles in Fortnite.

The only thing Fortnite did better is the jetpack because it doesn't look utterly sh*t like the Thruster

slowburn29

I truly hate this game and the direction it's taking. It always had flaws but now everytime I play my teets hurt from being squeezed

Red dead will likely follow the same trajectory, and fortnight isn't really my thing

The reason I still play is my car collection. I spend my online time trying to avoid actually playing in the toxic environment rockstar created, and look for shortcuts and loopholes to fund my garages. Passive income is nice and x2 payouts are tempting

It's a cool little world if you do your own thing, turn off the HUD and all that and go for a bike ride

LunaticPandora

Because I love GTA, and even after almost 5 years the game is still going strong. To me it almost feels like an MMO - its evergreen. Until GTA6 comes out and possibly long after that, I can't see it dying. Even my closest friend who has been playing GTAO for almost as long as I have, (hardcore story mode player for a year before eventually ditching it for online) has repeatedly sworn off the game since DDH dropped because of the game and R* screwing him over, and yet, he keeps coming back for more. I'm not even sure if its possible to put it into words at this point; there's just something about this game that draws you in, and doesn't let you go.

Ice_cold2016

Nothing else outhere really. Far Cry 5 came out and the campaign held my interest for a while. Fallout 4 and Assassins Creed games held my interest for a while. GTAV Online has a lot of content. HOWEVER....i really hate what GTA Online has become in regards to microtransactions, cheaters never getting banned etc and the community is so shockingly toxic. I only really bought Playstation Plus to play GTA Online. But when that runs out i won't be renewing it and i won't be playing other Rockstar titles in the future. I went from thinking Rockstar was the best to disliking them. All over how GTAV was handled and what it become.  The ditching story dlc for online, the microtransactions, locking content behind paywalls, the grinding, how cheaters are never banned, how toxic the community has become. It's just put me right off of Rockstar Games. What will i do once my PS Plus runs out? Just go back to the good old days of campaign gaming. Much more relaxing and no 12yr olds telling they've f*cked my mum or no "noob" texts every 10 seconds.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

This is actually a very interesting question.  For me, the arguments in the "cons" column are 1. it's very old now; 2. the microtransaction disease spread everywhere and made a lot of aspects of the game unenjoyable; 3. they made free roam actively unpleasant with all the meme and weaponized vehicles everywhere; 4. they never patch or re-balance some of the game's biggest problems, so I grit my teeth every single time a guy goes passive so he can get his jet off the ground, then comes back out for a cheap kill; and 5. a lot of the friends I used to play with aren't on it anymore, so why bother? 

In the "pros" column are some far less compelling arguments: I sort of enjoy being a free roam predator and killing everyone in sight, even though I had to glitch myself some cash to feel like I could do that whenever I wanted.  I actually don't even think the free roam model of this game is good - it strongly favors long-time players and people who have made a buttload of money (legally or otherwise), and all the random low levels matched up with us are nothing but chum in the water really.  I would never make a game like it myself, but now that I AM a longtime player, with essentially unlimited money... serve me up a hot bowl of chum, apparently. 

Then there's the sunk cost fallacy - the idea that all the money you put into a pot in a poker game means you have to call the last bet because you have so much "invested."  GTA Online is like that - I have thousands of played hours, garages full of cars, all these properties and clothes and stuff.  Every time I get on this game I feel like a kid with rich parents and an overstuffed toy chest - what do I want to play with today?  Another game might be more fun (certainly it would be a lot fresher at the very least), but I'd have to start with nothing; with this game I have everything, and I know all the tricks.  Firing up this game is sliding on a comfortable, old pair of slippers; starting a new game would be like having to break in some new boots. 

Every so often they add some new content that really makes me appreciate it all over again.  I really enjoyed the Doomsday Heists, even though they are silly and the difficulty is unreasonably jacked up.  And I just today played all the new Martin Dispatch missions, which had me feeling like it was 2014 all over again - probably the first contact missions I've done in a couple of years.  GTA Online still gives me a little something back, occasionally.  But mostly I think I still play it out of inertia.

Edited by Nutduster

Sanches
Posted (edited)

I really don't know. Looks like i need a daily dose of a bad game. Didn't even enjoyed a single day of GTAO in past 1,5 year.
Or maybe i just play this game on background while talking with a friend.

Edited by Sanches
друг

Sammionna

My reaction when the kid talked about making GTA 'more like Fortnite'...

Spoiler

Image result for kill it before it breeds

x_TestsubjecT_x

In spite of GTAO's short comings this game offers a bit of everything.  The best of all my other fav games over the years..  I just can't walk away. 

MisFit-138
Posted (edited)

For me like others, it's about the variety and freedom, that and the creativity it allows. I like being able to jump from a rugged "do-dirt" grease monkey on a chopper to a well tailored and shady CEO of a professional mercenary organization and making movies, taking snapmatics, player created content, hidden interior deathmatches, ect.

I replied to say what Nutduster already put much more elegantly, time invested. That and there's always something new 3 months away

Edited by MisFit-138

ALifeOfMisery

Most kids, like most adults, will say what they think will be popular.

I'd bet some, if not most of them still play GTAO, even if only casually, they just don't want to admit it. There has to be an explanation for the volume of copies sold, the record player counts big DLCs bring and the mountains of cash continually spent on microtransactions.

That explanation isn't that the game has been abandoned as old news. 

For all the problems the game has, it offers something no other game offers. 

JaberDoe
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fw3 said:

"Yeah, it would be fun if they made GTA more like Fortnite."

This is the kind of stuff someone says then looks back on it in a few years and curls up in pain out of embarrassment/regret of being the idiot they were.

GTA Online has so many things to do.  You want customization? Racing? Shooting? Biking? Swimming? Golf?

It's all in there; even if those things aren't that good (Jack-of-all-trades and all that).  Plus, the social aspect of running around a city with your friends hardly gets old to me.

Not to mention the fact that Rockstar continues to support this game heavily, even if everyone doesn't like their updates, at least they do it.

Edited by JaberDoe
they're vs. their

FlacidJack

Helps me do things I can't do in real life, like speeding in supercars or piloting aircrafts or buying hookers then stabbing them to get refunded.

It's just a nice get away from reality without going too far into fantasyland imo.

Furry_Monkey

I used to play it almost daily, probably for more than 3 years, but then it started to taper off and now it's a once or twice a week thing.  I can't be bothered getting into long, drawn-out beefs with randoms so I tend to just go passive (if the session requires it) and cruise round on my bike hitting stunts.  I still find it ridiculously cathartic, and enjoy it as much as always even though it's nothing new.

As for not having a comeback, you could just point out that you see a real woman naked regularly, and you can touch her boobs and everything.  Who gives a toss what game you prefer?

EvilFuture

I see a lot of Fortnite hate on this site, and while I agree that it's an easy game to hate, I personally enjoy the game a lot. It's a fun game to get on with your friends and goof around for a while. And since it's free, anybody can get it and play with you. I will admit, before I started playing the game, I hated everything about it. Got tired of seeing the hype about it, got tired of seeing it take over Youtube, etc. Then a friend finally convinced me to start playing it, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it since. No other game since GTA has kept me interested and made me want to play it like that, so props to them for that. GTA and Fortnite are the only 2 games I play regularly when I'm not trophy hunting on other games.

BUT

They are 2 different games entirely and shouldn't be compared. No, GTA shouldn't be like Fortnite and Fortnite shouldn't be like GTA. The trend of putting a Battle Royale in everything is annoying, and is only gonna get worse. I will admit that I was excited for the BR mode that was leaked from RDR2, but according to another leak since then, the idea was scrapped. Not sure how true any of that is, guess we will see when the game comes out.

kcole4001

I love the racing around,flying around, occasionally blowing things up is soothing when something craps on your toast.

It's really the same for the series since III.

Mainly for the racing, jumps, and especially the absurd silliness that happens when you get those awful, odd, and wildly hilarious physics glitches.

I enjoy games like Mount and Blade partly for the physics quirks as well.

I had a perfect example today.

Finished a bunker sale with the Marshall, which places you on a Sanchez after you get the mission success message.

I made a jump off the hill I was on, down to the highway, and a redneck on a Sanchez rode up to me and stopped.

I started up and ran into him, and he got off the bike and came up to me all aggressive, so I shot him with my AP pistol.

Somehow I set his bike and him on fire, and as he lay on the road I started walking to him to pick up his loot, an SUV came racing toward us, lost control and was skidding sideways right at me.

I figured I was in for another random traffic death.

Before I could react the SUV hit his flaming bike and skipped right over me to land upside down in the ditch behind me.

I really should be recording this stuff.

TL:DR:

Wacky random traffic shenanigans.

Rafae

Omg yes. If I got a nickel for everytime someone asked me this...

It makes me feel even worse for not trying out other games lol but idk this game's virtual world holds a special place in my heart and I feel like I know everything in this game like the back of my hand.

Something about that makes this game very comforting to pop in even after five years. I just can't be arsed to get used to the mechanics and general vibe of other games when I'm already so accustomed to this one's.

This game honestly satisfies most of my desires and as has been said many times before, it feels like multiple games in one. It's good to take a break every now and then but I don't think I'll be hooked onto another game besides this in the foreseeable future except maybe for RDR2/RDO.

Cutter De Blanc

Because no other game company has yet released a "jack of all trades" game like GTA is. Not on any competitive level

Rockstar are generally the only ones who can outdo Rockstar, and they haven't released a new game since Grand Theft Auto V

TheRipperOfLagoZancudo

Blowing people up with Jets and other toys only to get hilarious hatemail and threats never got old. All this despite the numerous counters now I still have a blast. 

1489433866-advancedeagle.gif

😂👌

III-Ari-III

Well gta is made for people older than 16 years old.. fortnite is made for people younger than that.. not much more to say about it.

Willy A. Jeep

It continues to be fun and enjoyable in all kinds of ways. GTA always sells well because it's the premier modern open world sandbox. It's a caricature of reasonably modern times, with cars and planes and guns, and has a load of things to do, even if they're just in your mind. From taking an easy-going Sunday drive down the Great Ocean Highway to stealing all the cash in the Pacific Standard to doing Blue Angels stunts with a couple of friends, GTA Online serves as a hugely freeform environment for all kinds of gameplay. It's far more flexible than PLUNKBAT or Fortnite, and it's a lot more action-packed than Minecraft or The Sims. GTA may sacrifice depth like that of Bethesda's RPGs in favor of a more streamlined experience, but the gameplay is easily accessible and intuitive. Online is not the most flawless game - that award would need to go to something simple, like Portal - but it excels over even previous installments of the series in numerous ways. GTA comes near to being the "everything" game, in the modern day.

What this competitive mindset really comes down to, of course, is that a lot of folks can't wrap their minds around multiple layers of difference and variety. Fortnite and GTA need not compete - they're very different games - and, by the very nature of the potential permanence of media, you can come back to it any time. If you don't want to, that's fine, it's just not your game, what matters is that you're having fun, but you need not criticize people who are still playing a different game. Plenty of people still play on their C64 and their Gamecube and their slot machine and their Battleship. People have different experiences in everything, including as to what is fun. It's silly to criticize in comparison to Fortnite or GTA, because they're very different games with different players, especially when the argument is age. The only competition here is time, and everything anybody ever does is in that competition.

To answer your question, fw3, I still play GTA Online because I do still find fun in it. I don't need a new high each week, I'm happy to just cruise these same mean streets. I still find fun in Team Fortress 2 and Terraria and Pitfall! and Battlefront II and all kinds of games. I would've said something along the lines of "Because I'm having fun! I wouldn't play if I wasn't." Even if they don't understand, it's not all my fault, as they might learn in time what I mean. Even a teacher can't teach it all!

Mach1bud

No other game offers what GTA offers. The ability to do almost anything I could ever desire. 

In the wake of many games being announced today at the Xbox press conference, I cannot help myself but to be not that excited about any of them. They just don't offer what I need to have fun in a game. 

Spoiler

And by that I mean muscle cars and hotrods.

AUScowboy
Posted (edited)

What Mach said. As for the school children, I would have explained that as some gamers get older following the latest gaming trend loses its appeal and a game like GTAO offers so much content and possibility that it wins out to whatever the latest trend is. You can invest as much or as little time that you want and it gets updates that bring new stuff and many tributes and homages to aspects of prior GTA more for those of us who have been playing since III. And it's still fun, you really can't go wrong with a classic franchise such as GTA. Of course it has it's many flaws, but those are still greatly outweighed by the good parts. The numbers dont lie, look at the charts and how much it's made in it's near half decade of existence.

Edited by AUScowboy

Commander S

I was thinking about this earlier (long country walks get me all philosophical-like... :pp) - and yeah, wot Mach said. ;)

Even with the shortcomings, even with more recent additions/changes that undermine some of the fundamentals of the game, the combination of GTA V's incredibly realistic environment and depth/breadth of interactivity, plus a more deliberate version of the kind of post-story-completion 'dicking around in the open-world' fun that's often the most fun in a GTA-like game, is just a winning formula that doesn't get old.

I've been enjoying the amount of fun things in Saints Row 2 recently, and it does do certain things better than GTA ever has - but Stilwater still feels like a playground, not an actual place. One thing R* does really well is make their open worlds feel like real places - and on top of that, property and vehicle ownership in GTAO is handled in a way that makes your stuff really feel like it's yours.

It's the nearest a videogame has come to something like the holosuites from Star Trek, or something like Westworld (by the same reasoning, I'm hopeful that Red Dead Online will do the same, and actually be a virtual, idealised version of Westworld). Frankly, my complaints with R* about the game almost all stem from them not leaning into that more - I hope that Beslie Lenzies' Everywhere does, I hope R* realise that more, and I'd like to see some of the bigger-money developers/publishers (Ubisoft, for example) attempt the same, too.

AgentZeroSix

Because I’ve played parts of the game in bite sized pieces I feel like I have a lot left to try in the game. Now that I have acquired a second One, my wife and I can play together now, and it’s a lot more enjoyable with regular partners in crime.

Additionally, I’m pretty much garbage at most games.

hei3enberg
Posted (edited)

Beats me, fw3. I don't really have the answer why am I still playing this game, but I do have the answer why I'm not playing other games instead. Because they don't last. I tried Ghost Recon Wildlands and the name was actually true: the world is dead, absolutely dead. It's basically a giant map with enemy NPCs, repetitive places and sh*tty vehicle mechanics in between. I actually refunded this game in Steam. I tried Far Cry 5, but it's basically first person version of Wildlands, even the starting cutscenes are painfully similar. It's fun to play 2 or 3 evenings, but it won't last, there is no depth. I heard a lot about The Crew 2, but after watching half an hour of videos I  have decided that it will pretty much sum up the amount of time I will invest in this game: quantity vs quality ratio is not really good there.

I love sandbox games and there is nothing even close to GTA in my book. And that's terrifying, because I afraid the next GTA may look like something Ubisoft may have done. There is no competition if we're talking open world games with modern setting, not a single one. Witcher is another story, though. That's the game I will play when I have more time. 

Why am I still playing? Because I don't know what I will do in this game today. Sell a coke with mates, run a heist, just fly around the map or explore some places with Thruster (after all these years, there are spots on the map where you can refresh your perception with a Thruster), go boating, do some PvE mission with ridiculous vehicle like Khanjali or beat the Headhunter with Huner or Lazer. Or will I just chill in the friendly session taking turns at sales and chatting in between? I don't know, often until I start playing. That's the reason GTA Online is still on my list with only two other games: Project Cars 2 and Dirt rally. I play them because I love good driving experience and I love seeing iconic racing tracks/ special stages. But there is no night at Nordschleife or a foggy evening at Col de Turini I will not trade for a relaxed evening at Online. 

Oh, and ignore the kids, man. You know that better than me because of your occupation, but seriously, ignore them. They're still exploring the world and they need to play at sh*ttier games to know the difference. They're just riding the hype wave like it was with so many titles. You really answered your own question: they're surprised because they are judging the game by the age and like with women, linear approach makes little sense and will  do more harm than good. These things are coming with experience. Enjoy your game while it lasts. Because if you drop Online you will have a hard time replacing it.

Edited by hei3enberg

Bobfakkel

Well im mostly still playing cause of new dlcs every year. To pay for all of that I need to grind...allot. No really allot. 

The other fun part for me is to chat with friends, help them get setup for a steady income or just the goofing around in freeroam.

But if they didnt release new dlc I would have quit a long time ago.

xwinkx_girlYakuza
Posted (edited)

I still play and will play till the last day R* keeps the servers running. Coz LS is my home. Long live GTA online!

p.s. I'll be driving around the USA in The Crew2 from time to time but my heart will always be in LS 😁

Edited by xwinkx_girlYakuza

Voodoo-Hendrix

As many others have said already, even with it's faults, shortcomings and outright bullsh*t sometimes, GTAO's experience is something that even five years after release is still unmatched. For every infuriating moment thanks to bad design, there's also many cool and awesome things you can still do in GTAO.

If I could resume my GTAO experience in a nutshell, it would be like this:

c65.gif

Yeah, people (myself included) may complain way too much about it and sometimes all these constant criticism comes out as hate, but make no mistake, most people criticize the game out of love for the game, because they know that R* can do better and want this game to be like the best game ever.

Funnily enough, lately I've been having my kicks by doing PvP, mainly defending my crewmates when our sessions get overrun, there's something magical about a tryhard inviting his friends to take over a session and having their butts handed to them.