2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

AGNT009

Do you expect RDR2 to meet your expectations?

Will RDR2 meet your expectations?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will RDR2 meet your Expectations?

• It will Exceed my expectations
    • It will match 100% of my expectations
    • It will match 75% of my expectations
    • It will match 50% of my expectations
    • It will match 25% of my expectations
    • It (Single player and Online) will flop so hard in my eyes, Im selling it after 1 playthrough

AGNT009

Supposedly Rockstar lurks here. After all these years we've all been posting great ideas to be used in RDR2 gameplay, do you expect any of it to be used? Or will they just make up their own crap, and 1/4 of it, like GTA Online, is actually liked by the playerbase? Personally, Im expecting to like the game, but it will come in way under my expectations for what it could be. 

In the past, Ive written long threads for ideas on this game, things like full ranching, and being able to customize the actual color of horses you can sell to players, both as full ranching in single player and online. Ideas on how to make train robbery more fun and realistic.

The biggest disappointment for me will be when I log into online, and see everyones icon all over the map, after we've all been BEGGING for them NOT to show our icons on themap, and let us truly get lost in the old west, and find players organically. Im sure they think in their wisdom we need to see everyone, but they will be soo wrong. They have less vehicles to sell us for us to get around the map, so that  aspect of the game will get old. When you cant even fly to one end of the map easily, and you cant hide in the map, the longlasting appeal of RDR2 online will fade fast. The only way to make up for lack of transportation is to make the map feel bigger than it is by not showing where everyone is at, and truly having mystery for what lurks around the corner or in the nearest city. 

They could have taken all our ideas over the years and made a truly great game. But we'll see how much they listened to us. The time period makes them have one profitable hand tied behind their back, in regards to matching the financial success of GTA Online. If they missed the mark as bad as they miss on GTAO gamemodes everyone ignores, the company will take a bloodbath of disrespect from their investors. 

Typhus

It depends entirely on how much Rockstar prioritises online play, and how much they money they try to leech out of us via micro-transactions. The success of GTA Online will only encourage the kind of abhorrent behaviour most gamers loathe in other companies. So I am approaching this game very, very warily.

O.Z

I think online will be the main focus of the game unfortunately, that's where R* is heading these days...

greenrock

they have been working on this game for 8 years hand crafting everything

the previews are touting it as more ambitious than even GTA V

it will be a game changer

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)

As long as the gameplay is at least as solid as the first one.

I'm keeping my expectations low.

I do not understand how to answer this poll as I cannot predict the future.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

thc_404

Let me put it this way: Even if it's half as good as Red Dead Redemption, it'll be twice as good as GTA V and that's ok for me. As for expecting something, I dunno. I expected GTA V to be awesome, and look how that turned out. 😛

Quinn_flower

No

Commander S

...bit hard to have expectations, considering we've not even seen any actual gameplay footage yet. :turn:

I mean, it looks like the single-player will be to GTA V what RDR was to GTA IV, and what GTA V was to RDR - at least in terms of how realistic and interactive the world is.

Story-wise, it's all looking a bit ...frankly, I was hoping they'd do another stand-alone game, rather than a backstory dump for RDR. Not least because it means it's another 'the end of the outlaw gang's story, when there's room for something more distinct if they were to do a story set a couple of decades earlier (considering things like the death of Billy the Kid and the gunfight at the O.K. Corral both happened in 1881 - now there's a good year to set a Western game!).

Still, I'm actually fine to just enjoy open-ended free-form dicking around in an Old West setting in Online - provided it's closer to the similar state of GTAO back in 2013-15, and not the gimmicky hellscape it largely is today. If I can just customise a character to my tastes, set up a modest camp somewhere, pop into town on my trusty steed, get into a bar fight, and do all that kind of thing? Yeah, okay, I'll bite - but again, I'd like to see it in action, so I know what I'm getting... ;)

MC_HaMMaSTiX
Posted (edited)

I'm hoping the supposed "in Online player markers won't appear on radar unless nearby" leak is true. I highly doubt it because I can see the majority of players complaining they never see anyone, especially if lobbies cap at 30 people, but I'm holding on to a sliver of hope.

I'd love the thrill of maybe being alone or with a few friends, doing who knows what, when suddenly we hear new voices and see a few or a lot of blips coming right at us by chance. Be even better if there was some kind of stealth function where your marker only showed up during transit, line of sight or if you made noise so in the previous scenario maybe we could avoid detection/griefing.

Hell, maybe my dream could be part of a Hardcore Mode version of their Online. Freeaim, minimal HUD, no radar OR my above mentioned proximity radar,no regenerative health, etc. I don't expect any of that for Online but I can hope and try to play Singleplayer in that fashion instead.

Edited by MC_HaMMaSTiX

DexMacLeod

I don't know that I even really have any firm expectations yet. I'm mostly only interested in the single player aspects and the story. Even though we've gotten a fair bit of information so far I still don't really know what to expect from it.

I'll probly be a bit disappointed if the fall of the Van Der Linde gang takes up the whole or even most of the story. But, then again, maybe not. Maybe Rockstar finds a way to retell that story in an interesting and surprising way.

As far as Red Dead Online is concerned, I've got my expectations pretty low. A free roam open world game is really only going to be as fun as it's community allows it to be for me and people seem to love themselves some PvP. I imagine it'll delvolve into a hostile, competitive sh*t show pretty damn quick.

I imagine Rockstar will once again encourage this sort of environment with their "So and So is trying to be productive! Kill them and destroy everything they have!" prompts just like with GTA. If that's the case and I can't find a simple way to get Solo Public Sessions I really don't have a problem just avoiding Online altogether.

greenrock
2 hours ago, Commander S said:

...bit hard to have expectations, considering we've not even seen any actual gameplay footage yet. :turn:

I mean, it looks like the single-player will be to GTA V what RDR was to GTA IV, and what GTA V was to RDR - at least in terms of how realistic and interactive the world is.

Story-wise, it's all looking a bit ...frankly, I was hoping they'd do another stand-alone game, rather than a backstory dump for RDR. Not least because it means it's another 'the end of the outlaw gang's story, when there's room for something more distinct if they were to do a story set a couple of decades earlier (considering things like the death of Billy the Kid and the gunfight at the O.K. Corral both happened in 1881 - now there's a good year to set a Western game!).

Still, I'm actually fine to just enjoy open-ended free-form dicking around in an Old West setting in Online - provided it's closer to the similar state of GTAO back in 2013-15, and not the gimmicky hellscape it largely is today. If I can just customise a character to my tastes, set up a modest camp somewhere, pop into town on my trusty steed, get into a bar fight, and do all that kind of thing? Yeah, okay, I'll bite - but again, I'd like to see it in action, so I know what I'm getting... ;)

i mean its not really a "prequel" in the sense the story is focused on Arthur

Commander S
23 minutes ago, greenrock said:

i mean its not really a "prequel" in the sense the story is focused on Arthur

Not to sound snarky, but Star Wars and the two sequels were focussed on Luke Skywalker, while Episodes I-III were focussed on the rise and fall of Anakin.

I get what you mean, though - that's what remains to be seen, isn't it? It's entirely possible that, aside from some minor "oh, so that's how that happened" moments for the fans (Marston getting his scars, for instance), the story will work as a self-contained thing. However, there's also the possibility that they lean too hard into making major story beats act as setup for the events of RDR - I'm reminded of that prequel/don't-call-it-a-beat-for-beat-remake of The Thing, where the events are largely generic, and the ending only has any weight because ...it's where things dovetail into the opening of the original film.

MorbidPharaoh

Honestly the best MP experience I have had with friends was on GTAO so aslong as RDR2 matches it in the aspect of the way it plays and is supported my expectations will be met

SherifWayne

If the euphoria naturalmotion is the same as Redemption and not V, I will be happy. I have spent nearly 2000 hours of my life in GTA Online, more than any game I've ever played. I am sure the multiplayer will hook me and the world will be filled with so much lore and easter eggs that I will be able to stay happy in it for years. In GTAV after all this time I still hear NPCs saying things I've never heard, unlike ubisoft games where after 30 hours I've heard every single piece of npc chatter. I have every bit of faith RDR will be the best game this generation. Therefore, we will complain about it a lot because we complain about the games we spend the most time in. It won't be perfect but it will be astounding.

Miamivicecity

I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. I have a feeling it wont sweep me away like RDR did and I'm a bit worried it might feel too similar. As I've said before I wish it was set at the start of the Wild West or atleast the peak. RDR already did a great job of showing the West in its final years.

RDR had great multiplayer so if R* can deliver something similar it would be excellent for single player and multiplayer fans a like.

Yelda
Posted (edited)

I´m convinced that it will exceed my expectations. I wouldn´t consider my expectations as particularly high, because I´ve been a "fangirl" since RDR 🤣 and it is still my favorite game despite the 8 years. I'm excited about what we know so far, so: Yes, I know that I will love it.

Edited by Yelda

Utopianthumbs

I think 50 -75% of my expectations will be met at least. I feel it will be a really good game. My only worry, just like Algonquin said, is that the story might feel a bit too played out with them going with the "Wild West is dying" theme again.  No Rockstar game I've played has disappointed me yet though, so I'm fairly confident for RDR2

Typhus
2 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. I have a feeling it wont sweep me away like RDR did and I'm a bit worried it might feel too similar. As I've said before I wish it was set at the start of the Wild West or atleast the peak. RDR already did a great job of showing the West in its final years.

I feel exactly the same way. The impression I keep getting from all the trailers is that this is a story we've already seen, and will probably offer very few surprises. I had really hoped it would be set during the American Civil War - a conflict at once underrepresented in gaming and pretty topical to issues in American society today. It would have allowed for a completely different gameplay experience, more interaction with Native nations - who fought for both sides, and could have been something we've never really seen before.

Instead, a lot of what we've seen feels almost completely indistinguishable from the first game. It just feels safe and unambitious.

Lonely-Martin

Hmm, I believe the story mode will be awesome and offer more, but I've little interest in online at least until I see it's worth the effort and actually any good for my gaming style.

As good as GTA is as a whole, online has does so much to push me away, and with the money made, I really don't see that side of things changing.

We'll wee.

Miamivicecity
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Typhus said:

I feel exactly the same way. The impression I keep getting from all the trailers is that this is a story we've already seen, and will probably offer very few surprises. I had really hoped it would be set during the American Civil War - a conflict at once underrepresented in gaming and pretty topical to issues in American society today. It would have allowed for a completely different gameplay experience, more interaction with Native nations - who fought for both sides, and could have been something we've never really seen before.

Instead, a lot of what we've seen feels almost completely indistinguishable from the first game. It just feels safe and unambitious.

The thing is so far anyway is the story feels like it could be what people wanted from DLC in 2010 for RDR. It just feels like an un-necessary prequel 8 years too late. I'm sure the dialogue and writing will great, but I agree it feels a bit safe probably not to upset things too much.

Personally I think it should've taken a Django Unchained approach with a black protagonist fleeing from a life of slavery. It would be way more ballsy and unique IMO.

Mach1bud

I do expect that it will exceed my expectations.

RiverGhost
1 hour ago, Mach1bud said:

I do expect that it will exceed my expectations.

If your expectation is for something to exceed your expectations, then your expectations are caught in a never ending loop of building expectations. 

BUT THE BENZ

I want it to be THE game, just sayin, imo all they need to do: take GTA V graphics, use MP3 combat mechanics, and put it all in a RED DEAD setting. curious to see what they did with it, especially since there is no BENZ around to iron out the whole thing. I expect the game to fall flat on some ends, thus I COULD be surprised...

Commander S

In fairness, there are other people at R*, and working in game development in general, who could easily handle 'R* wrangler' duties on RDR2 - I don't think that the 'Benzless factor' is going to be an issue. He's a talented guy, and I like his philosophy to games (I really, really want Everywhere to succeed on those grounds), but simply 'making sure that the game is polished and doesn't wind up in development hell' isn't some unique ability that only he has.

Again, like I said, it all sounds like they've refined the R* formula by another increment - and even if they didn't bother with any new mechanics or increased interactivity/verisimilitude beyond 'GTA V, but set in the Old West, with prettier graphics', it'd still be a solid game, and do well.

I still get the feeling that the writing/story might wind up being as 'safe' and unambitious as GTA V, compared to the previous game, but some of the new mechanical depth (food, camps, that sort of thing) sounds promising. Hopefully some of that makes it into Red Dead Online, because being able to play around with all that in an open-ended format sounds like ...the idealised, 'no-one's getting murdered by a rampaging Yul Brynner' version of Westworld. :p

mombo2811
Posted (edited)

No I dont...

I think I will enjoy it for being a good game but I dont think it will be better than the first game, because it will focus so much on multiplayer... Tbh I will probably just sell the game once I have finished the SP.

Edited by mombo2811

If you don't expect it to meet your expectations then your expectations are what you already expect.

Expert_gamer_16

I have faith in rockstar. Every single game of theirs that I have played has been good.Even though they have had some bumps in the road they never fail to give us an enjoyable game. That we will play over and over again and enjoy.

Emmi

I really hope it exceeds my expectations but I remain cautious because of how much Grand Theft Auto V let me down in that regard.

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

The biggest critique I had against GTAV was that it was so cheerful and goofy and not as dark and gloomy as I'd prefer, well, that and the 3-playable protags system.

Something tells me RDR2 will be a bit darker though. I mean, a bit of goofiness is all in order and should be in a R* game, but remembering TLoU and seeing gameplay from TLoU2 - I can't help but wish that R* would turn up the grime a few notches.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal