Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,418 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Penguin Bob

Who else likes to hang out with the girlfriends/friends?

Penguin Bob

Sure, the friend phone calls/messages are outrageously annoying but to be honest, I really like hanging out them. They have some of the most funniest conversations and you will learn more about their lives.

Utopianthumbs

I was really amazed when I first found out that you could hang out with these characters (the friends especially) outside the story. It felt like Packie, Jacob etc didn't just exist for the sake of the story but had lives outside it as well. I loved hearing about their backstories like Dwayne talking about his abusive childhood, Niko telling Kate about what happened to Roman's mother etc. It made them feel fleshed out and not one dimensional. One of my favourite moments in IV was getting drunk with Packie and the way he proceeded to sing in the most drunken and hilarious way possible. I even found a video of it.

MARKUS.
Posted (edited)

I liked it at first, I wish in the times of GTA SA that we could hang out with our brother, after the story is like CJ is alone in the world... I know it's due to the limitations of the 3D era tho...

The only character I missed hanging out is Hossan, after the random event I was hoping that Niko could get his number and hang out with him, but over the years I realized that Niko doesn't look so hyped up when he met him. Kinda ironic or overacted reaction in the cutscene... If you look closely is like Niko is trying to avoid him at first... not like He doesn't know Him... is like when I see my high school colleges on the street

P.S: of course is just a theory of mine, your guess is so good as mine

Edited by MARKUS.

RetroMystic

Only the ones that aren't annoying/have something interesting to say that relates to the story or expands the backstory like Roman.

albanyave

I always liked hanging out with Carmen. She wasn't afraid to put it out there. She knew what she wanted (money and gifts) and didn't hesitate to tell Niko. And of course she had to get her hair done and her nails did. 

She was fun.

Alex looked down on Niko.

Algonquin Assassin

It's one of my favourite features in the series. The "They call every 5 minutes" phenomenon is so blown out of proportion especially when the game offers sleep mode and even if you're expecting a call from the story you just time it when you know you're going to get a call to turn it back on. It's not hard. Most of the time I don't bother using sleep mode anyway, but it's good that it's there and is actually useful unlike GTA V.

I like hanging out with them because it makes it seem characters can exist outside of cutscenes and less of a lonely simulator as you find out so much more about them and there's a nice, little reward. A huge improvement over the robotic and bland girlfriends in San Andreas.

My only gripes are is it can get annoying when the friends/girlfriends are on the other side of the city (atleast there's rideable taxis so I guess this really isn't a huge deal) and it would've been cool to have been able to hang out with more than one at a time.

Penguin Bob

Honestly, I didn't like the girlfriends in GTA SA. Like what Algonquin Assassin said, they are bland and robotic. They don't have any interesting conversations nor did they even have conversations in the first place. Did I also mention that they are difficult to impress? 

Algonquin Assassin

Watching paint dry is more interesting and immersive than listening to CJ talk with his "girlfriends". In GTA IV it's obvious more effort went into the writing to make them more substantial and multi dimensional.

Utopianthumbs
3 hours ago, Penguin Bob said:

Did I also mention that they are difficult to impress? 

Oh man, this reminds me of how certain girlfriends in SA required CJ to have a certain muscle%, fat%, sex appeal etc which was so darn frustrating to get lol. To be fair though it was the first time they implemented the dating mechanic so for a first time attempt it was ok. The later games definitely fleshed out this mechanic.

HailHydra
Posted (edited)

Not so much. The hang out part is pretty ok and give character development to side character but sometimes it can be forced when character just randomly call out of nowhere and proceed to dislike if you refused. It just feel redundant and unnecessary when you just want to explore the world and shoot some sh*t.

Edited by HailHydra

Cheatz/Trickz

I like the hangouts and do them because as others have said it shows the characters existing outside the story. The dialogue is interesting and provides deeper insight into the characters’ personalities, which is exactly what happens the more time you spend with people. 

Gameplay wise though, the system need some streamlining. An option for them to come directly to you firstly, this is one thing V did better but it’s rare. Or, meet you at the activity place, the usual in-car dialogue could then be heard during the activity. The activities themselves also could also be more engaging. 

ProKiller93

i do bcuz i dont have any in real life

Journey_95
Posted (edited)

I love it..it adds a lot to the characters. I don't care for the girlfriends apart from Kate (who I appreciate more after my latest playthrough) and Michelle who disappears for obvious reasons anyway since they don't matter really for the story and feel annoying.

But your friends like Roman, Packie, Dwayne etc. really get more depth this way. I was glad to see it returning in GTA V as well (although not getting any rewards anymore is lame) and hope Rockstar doesn't drop it.

Edited by Journey_95

Sinner!

Yes, the surprisingly in-depth dialouge/stories shared between the characters was my favourite part.

Niko and Roman's banter was the best & I liked when they reminisced about their homeland.

Algonquin Assassin
16 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

I love it..it adds a lot to the characters. I don't care for the girlfriends apart from Kate (who I appreciate more after my latest playthrough) and Michelle who disappears for obvious reasons anyway since they don't matter really for the story and feel annoying.

But your friends like Roman, Packie, Dwayne etc. really get more depth this way. I was glad to see it returning in GTA V as well (although not getting any rewards anymore is lame) and hope Rockstar doesn't drop it.

I never really liked Kate when I first played GTA IV. Thought she was a stuck up bitch, but dating her in other saves really opened my eyes.

There's one conversation Niko has with her where he shares what happened to Roman's mother where she was raped and killed. Even to this day it still tugs at my heart strings that Niko finds comfort with Kate to tell her something weighing so heavily on his conscience.

This is what I love about the feature. It gives us an insight into characters' thoughts the cutscenes just can't cover. In saying that I wish we could hang out with Bernie and Hossan. Paricularly Bernie since he plays such an integeral part in the story.

I would love to know what his life has been like in the time he'd been in Liberty City.

ROCKSTAR MANIC

I would have loved if we were able to join different combinations of friends or Girlfriends in IV. I just imagined Little jacob & Roman, Niko tearing it up at the titty bar. Or  Dwayne or Brucie & their different personalities and how it would mesh..

Femme Fatale

I do, they're a fun bunch.