3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

PS4 End of Life Cycle

Cahill--EFC

Sony says PlayStation 4 is in 'final phase' of its life cycle

Sony's new CEO John Kodera has announced the PlayStation 4 era could be near an end.

Speaking at a company conference, he said the console, released in 2013, was in the "final phase" of its life cycle.

Don't expect the PS4 to stop production any time soon - but this could be a hint that a new, more powerful console is on the way.

Despite being hugely popular, there are signs of PS4 sales slowing down.

The announcement has hit some gamers hard.

Edited by ferguson99

It feels like consoles are releasing faster then you can afford a new generation. I bought a PS3 two years ago it cost me R$850,00 and only God knows how much I had to sacrifice to have it and play GTA5 for the first time. Took me another 8 months to stabilize working to get a internet service. Really hard because there are no more new games for my console, and harder to know that when I have enough money to buy a PS4 it will be obsolete too.

Good to see new technology being developed but if they could make videogames affordable for everyone would sell even more.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, ferguson99 said:

It feels PS3 was a longer active console

A lot happened during the PS3s lifetime.  I also feel like it was longer when I got my PS3 in 2011 or so!

Could be because of the novelty of seeing HD video games for the first time, or maybe I spent more time on it, who knows.

But I feel you, bud.

When it comes to the PS4 ending, I'm at least glad Sony has told us in advance.  Let people know that something new is around the corner so people won't get a PS4 and then regret it when the PS5 or whatever comes out the very next year.  The PS4 is an awesome console and I had a lot of fun time with it.  M E M O R I E S will remain! 

On 6/6/2018 at 12:49 AM, Inttelix said:

It feels like consoles are releasing faster then you can afford a new generation. I bought a PS3 two years ago it cost me R$850,00 and only God knows how much I had to sacrifice to have it and play GTA5 for the first time. Took me another 8 months to stabilize working to get a internet service. Really hard because there are no more new games for my console, and harder to know that when I have enough money to buy a PS4 it will be obsolete too.

Good to see new technology being developed but if they could make videogames affordable for everyone would sell even more.

and that is the biggest problem of consoles manufactures IMO, they just dont want games to have retro/future compatibility to force people to buy the new one. im sure if people could lower the graphics settings and still play PS5 games on the PS4 alot wouldn't upgrade

• Like 2
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

I think the PS4 may be be around longer than then previous consoles because of breaks in echnology since PS4 release with the introduction of 4K gaming which Sony & Microsoft have already taken care of by releasing "upgraded" versions of their console to include the higher graphic content and memory with the 1TB & 4K capabilities so unless they release some super graphics that's beyond 4K and some other powerful stuff the PS4 will be sticking around for a while longer but I don't doubt we'll see a new console around 2021/2022 though.

PS3 was released in November of 2006 and PS4 released in November of 2013 so around a 7 year gap and November of 2018 will be the 5th anniversary of the console

On 6/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, Kingbing said:

Seems about right. It's going on 6 years which is usually how long a generation lasts.

5th year anniversary in November, PS4 was released in 2013 so 2013 to 2018 is 5 years

Edited by AiraCobra

they have alot to improve other then resolution, maybe on the next gen console they can start setting 60fps as standard/minimum

18 hours ago, AiraCobra said:

so unless they release some super graphics that's beyond 4K and some other powerful stuff the PS4 will be sticking around for a while longer but I don't doubt we'll see a new console around 2021/2022 though.

above 4k? be happy if you can get true 4K and not the usual upscalled 4k

• Like 3

Well, with what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox; releasing consoles that are just more powerful but still release the games on the older gen. Plus backwards compatibility.

Though, I think that could hurt the full potential of a game, unless they make the game with the newest console in mind and then downscale the textures/graphics for older gen. Not vice versa

Then again, they could just skip old gen release. We'll see

• Like 1

Even so i still don't see the PS5 coming in 2019, maybe early 2020 or something but i could be wrong. This generation of consoles has been very disappointing to me, old gen AI, not enough games I'm interested in. 

I know I'm late to the party, but...

On 6/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, ferguson99 said:

It feels PS3 was a longer active console

The problem seems exactly to be the fact the last generation of consoles was extended for way too long. No previous generation lasted for as long as PS3/Xbox 360 did (and the latter even standed for longer) and by the time the sucessor consoles from both Sony and Microsoft were released, the tech of these was quite obsolete already (mainly the Xbox 360).

My personal opinion regarding as to why the previous generation was stretched for so long was initially the global crisis at its peak at the time, but then you look at the sales and success of smartphones, something equally futile at a time where their functional side was even less relevant for the average consumer than it is today, and they were very successful, being upgraded by the consumers very often and so I don't think it was a problem with in the consumer's side regarding the possibility to buy a new console. I think it may be resulted from the sum of all the circumstances at the time, with lack of competition to release a better console (after all the Xbox lacked even more power and Nintendo was doing their own thing, plus the release of the Wii U didn't proved to be successful anyways), devs and studios being more open to do bigger efforts to optimise and make full use of the capabilities of the existing consoles when releasing new games, PCs still not being the most friendly option for gaming, given Windows Vista still lurking at the beginning of the generation and 8 at its end, both notoriously bad in terms of gaming, virtual gaming marketplaces still growing and evolving with the equally notorious Windows Marketplace being a thing and all the issues resulted from the aforementioned problems making consoles a much more user friendly option and, finally, simply because they were selling well and their image wasn't doomed by the media and online opinions that they sucked.

The problem, then, was the sucessor consoles weren't such a gigantic leap from the previous and, given by now the architecture of consoles alongside the increased affordability of gaming-spec PCs leaded people to bother to compare and up to some degree demand a similar experience from consoles and PCs, neither the PS4 nor the XB1 were particularly mind-blowing or competitive against what was already standard on the other side of the scene. Also, the game devs began not to tolerate as much consoles with limited processing and graphical specs (or, better said, the companies didn't want to spend as much money ensuring optimised games for every platform), leading to frequent press opinions from the studios about how such limitations were affecting the games' development, ultimately resulting on the improved consoles for the more demanding players, that were still being held back by the original consoles.

Long story short, if you look back at all the previous generations, 6 years is a completely normal generation lifespan - after all tech evolves, people consider their 2-year-old phone obsolete, a 5-year-old computer already lags behind newer machines and so on, yet a console is expected to live for over a decade? Let's remember it's not like the release of new games and availability of the current services would be cut right away (at least you'll still have EA releasing their latest FIFA game every year, since making a reskin of the previous title will always be warranteed to work without an issue! - well, just kidding 😛  ). Either way, I assume the current turn of things would necessarily mean that both Sony and Microsoft would come up with new concept consoles, otherwise we'll be stuck in this continuous lifecycle of smaller computers optimised for gaming being upgraded every few years trying to keep up with what PCs offer performance-wise. After all, that's what Nintendo did and the sales proved great graphics aren't necessary to make great, enjoyable games.

• Like 1