2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Quinn_flower

RDR2 Pre-Order Bonuses + Collector's Box

Alfredkwak

Do we still get a normal physical map of the world? Or is this the only way to get a worldmap? 

Dr.Rosenthal

I’m leaning towards a physical Standard Edition. That would include a physical world map/poster like always, am I right?

I would like the Gang hideout and Bank robbery from the Special Edition, but apart from that I don’t want no extra perks. Using the best gun, the best horse, the best clothes from the beginning - what the hell are they thinking with this? I’ve fallen for that before, and it certainly makes the game less interesting imo.

I do agree with some that they’re cutting away content and are charging extra for it instead of just releasing the full game at normal retail price. Still, in Sweden it seems the Standard Edition will be 749 SEK which is crazy expensive for a Standard game version! Fallout 4 was 499 SEK upon release, I believe, but most common for all games would probably be 599 SEK. Thats about €60. Anyway.

The Collector’s chest looks cool and all, but I’m not much for stuff sitting collecting dust.

thc_404
2 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

I’m leaning towards a physical Standard Edition. That would include a physical world map/poster like always, am I right?

I would like the Gang hideout and Bank robbery from the Special Edition, but apart from that I don’t want no extra perks. Using the best gun, the best horse, the best clothes from the beginning - what the hell are they thinking with this? I’ve fallen for that before, and it certainly makes the game less interesting imo.

I do agree with some that they’re cutting away content and are charging extra for it instead of just releasing the full game at normal retail price. Still, in Sweden it seems the Standard Edition will be 749 SEK which is crazy expensive for a Standard game version! Fallout 4 was 499 SEK upon release, I believe, but most common for all games would probably be 599 SEK. Thats about €60. Anyway.

The Collector’s chest looks cool and all, but I’m not much for stuff sitting collecting dust.

You'll probably get some codes you'll have to input. I wouldn't worry about having stuff from the start unless you go and "redeem your codes".

Dr.Rosenthal

^

You're probably right, I didn't think of that. Well, I'll have to think this through for a bit, still haven't decided on whether to get a physical or digital copy even.

VolumeRX

Is there a chance Amazon will be selling it too?

TheExecutor10

The Special Edition content is in one package, I already saw this in the Xbox Store. You have a package for pre-order boni, one for the treasure map, one for gta$ and one for either the special edition or ultimate edition content.

So if you want to have the bank robbery for example, you will get the gameplay boosts either way.

You can see at the bottom under the "In this bundle" section what items you will download and what they contain:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/red-dead-redemption-2-special-edition/bqwft8t5t0s2

Nutduster
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

That’s the stupidest sh*t I’ve ever heard. Just because you dont agree with the way they release the game you won’t even buy it no matter how good it is? Get over yourself. 

Well for one thing he said he'd already decided to stop supporting them before.  But more importantly, you are really missing the point here, which is principle and the future of the gaming industry.  Every time you willingly support games with microtransactions, lootboxes, collector's editions that offer minimal content cut from the main game for an exorbitantly higher purchase price, or any of that scummy stuff, you are helping push the entire business model further along to something much worse than we used to have.  You lower audience expectations fractionally, and raise publisher and developer greed just as much.  So few gamers are willing to put their foot down and actually NOT buy a game over stuff like this - the most they do usually is complain online.

So whether you agree with Piro's opinion or not, you should be applauding him for at least standing on principle.  If RDR2 turns out to be an amazing game otherwise and he still didn't buy it because of Rockstar and Take Two's recent practices, I say so much the better.  That's what we should ALL be doing.  There is more at stake here than just supporting well-made games; we also should be supporting good business practices, and punishing bad ones.

Edited by Nutduster

BretMaverick777
Posted (edited)

Cigarette Cards

Just a couple of quick takes from the 12 Cigarette Cards --

*Coral snake confirmed as one of the animals in the game.  These are often lethally venomous bastards in real life, so probably no fun to encounter in-game, either.   I'd fully expect to see other venomous snakes of the South and Midwest too, like copperheads, rattlers, and water moccasins. 

*Hot air balloons confirmed.   Or strongly hinted at, anyway.   Could provide an interesting change of pace, and a helluva sniper/hunting post.   Would be interesting to see the game physics behind this, but it's probably not going to be useful enough to be a game changer. 

Edited by BretMaverick777
forgot something

Mirokunite
11 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Cigarette Cards

Just a couple of quick takes from the 12 Cigarette Cards --

*Coral snake confirmed as one of the animals in the game.  These are often lethally venomous bastards in real life, so probably no fun to encounter in-game, either.   I'd fully expect to see other venomous snakes of the South and Midwest too, like copperheads, rattlers, and water moccasins.  

*Hot air balloons confirmed.   Or strongly hinted at, anyway.   Could provide an interesting change of pace, and a helluva sniper/hunting post.   Would be interesting to see the game physics behind this, but it's probably not going to be useful enough to be a game changer. 

Hmm.

index2.phpoptioncom_resourceamptaskshow_

The hot air balloon would be a interesting mission. Imagine you just committed a heist in Saint Dennis and you use a hot air balloon as an escape. Only to have the thing drift slowly away "with you in it" and crash in the swamp a few miles away.

cp1dell

Got the Ultimate Edition. Only because it's the only one with the steel book case. The map looks nice too.

I just hope some of the bonuses are optional. I just want the extra mission, hideout, and outfit - but none of the early game boosts and free weapons and stuff. If I can't disable it I'll probably sell the code online.

Mirokunite

Hopefully you can turn them off like the Golden Guns in RDR. As for the in game boost/weapons you could always just not use them.

Darealbandicoot

I wonder if the bonus horse for Online will be available in single player? Also WTF is up with the digital exclusive treasure map for pre ordering before July? 

Mr. Morgan

Alright. So.. I pre-ordered a digital copy of the Special Edition, but I'm also considering ordering a physical copy of the Ultimate Edition, mostly for the steelbook but the multiplayer bonuses seem good to me as well. Gonna pass on the Collector's Box and get the art book that's releasing in November instead. 

Is this at all a logical decision, fellas?

Darealbandicoot
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mr. Morgan said:

Alright. So.. I pre-ordered a digital copy of the Special Edition, but I'm also considering ordering a physical copy of the Ultimate Edition, mostly for the steelbook but the multiplayer bonuses seem good to me as well. Gonna pass on the Collector's Box and get the art book that's releasing in November instead. 

Is this at all a logical decision, fellas?

Sounds good to me! Why order two copies though? 

Edited by Darealbandicoot

Rockstar Vienna

I was sure that I will buy the biggest/most expensive edition of RDR2. But now I'll most likely get the physical standard edition. The extra content is pretty underwhelming imo and definitely not worth the extra cash. Especially the gameplay boosts, cash and rank bonuses, 3 free weapons and money for GTAO if you pre-order... Rubbish imo. And you better believe that the horse and the extra outfit will be available after RDR2's release for a few dollars (or even in-game cash). More interested in "The Art Of RedDead Redemption 2" tbh.

joshua969

The collectors box is neat, but I think it's a tad overpriced.  I'm holding out hope they'll release a vinyl soundtrack again....I'll jump on that in a heartbeat.

Mr. Morgan
2 minutes ago, Darealbandicoot said:

Sounds good to me! Why order two copies though? 

As I said, I really want that steelbook :lol: If the bonus content from the different editions are activated through redeem codes, a buddy of mine would most definitely love to have the ones I won't be using! Also, I couldn't live with myself if I never got to hold a physical copy of RDR2 in my hands at some point. 

D9fred95

Yeah, I'm not buying this crap. In a way it's good R* did this, it makes my choice easy.

Dr.Rosenthal
2 hours ago, Mr. Morgan said:

As I said, I really want that steelbook :lol:

Where can I see this oft-praised steelbook? :D

Dr.Rosenthal

^

Thanks, I read through it earlier but now realized I just wasn't looking closely enough. Looks pretty, though I wish I could see more of it.

Nemecsis
8 hours ago, SherifWayne said:

I was hoping no but it seems like it is a possibility. They might be doing this to avoid people making silly outfits that break immersion? I dunno.

That's exactly what my roommate said when I talked to him about it. Same exact thing. But the only reason people make dumb outfits in GTA is because R* gave them the resources to do so. All of the crazy hats, neon shirts with bananas on them, light-up bodysuits, etc. People dress like that because they're allowed to. For Red Dead, they could keep all of the clothing realistic and conservative, and still give full customization options. I really hope they do. Customization and diversity make online games so much better.

NikosUncle
9 hours ago, Piro said:

No its not because of that.  Read my post again. You see the part about "I decided a long time ago" ?  My decision has nothing to do with those preorders. That in fact would be the stupid, I do agree.

its about how they changed after gtaonline.  Abandoning SP DLCs, Terrible support, Unjustified bans and moneywipes, doing nothing with real cheaters. The list is way too long...
And I want to point out - I was the biggest fan of R* since the beginning, bought almost every game. But it's not the same company that we used to love.
Its simple - "if you don't like what they are doing, don't put money in their wallets" 

Well that's just as stupid...

I mean does all that stuff really break your heart that much? Business is business and it's just the way the world is becoming and there's nothing you can do about it. Do you think your petty little boycott is going to make any difference to R*?

Get over your principles man, it's just silly. I would've thought a long time R* fan would atleast respect the gameplay and stories enough...

Ffs

Nutduster
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

Well that's just as stupid...

I mean does all that stuff really break your heart that much? Business is business and it's just the way the world is becoming and there's nothing you can do about it. Do you think your petty little boycott is going to make any difference to R*?

Get over your principles man, it's just silly. I would've thought a long time R* fan would atleast respect the gameplay and stories enough...

Ffs

You're embarrassing yourself here.  If you just want to eat whatever sh*t is being shoveled in your direction and let your corporate overlords have their way with you, have at it - that's your right as a consumer.  But I really can't believe you'd have the gall to try to stop someone else from opting out.  People like Piro are actually trying to stop the boat from sinking and you're sitting there with a bucket, pouring in more water and saying "f*ck it, we're going down anyway!"

Newsflash: if Rockstar is indifferent to one consumer's money, they also certainly don't need your help to stay in business.

Edited by Nutduster

NikosUncle
6 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

You're embarrassing yourself here.  If you just want to eat whatever sh*t is being shoveled in your direction and let your corporate overlords have their way with you, have at it - that's your right as a consumer.  But I really can't believe you'd have the gall to try to stop someone else from opting out.  People like Piro are actually trying to stop the boat from sinking and you're sitting there with a bucket, pouring in more water and saying "f*ck it, we're going down anyway!"

Newsflash: if Rockstar is indifferent to one consumer's money, they also certainly don't need your help to stay in business.

But you’re acting like this is some huge political thing worth rioting over when it’s not. 

I’ve been playing R* games since 2001 and I’ll keep playing them forever. I honestly don’t give a sh*t about that corporate bs, as long as the games are fun and engaging.

Life’s too short for that “This company doesn’t deserve money” bs  mentality, atleast in this case.

Nutduster

Life being short is all the more reason to not just fork over your money to big companies indiscriminately.  Maybe you just haven't hit your personal breaking point yet, but lots of people are starting to.  This is just the first wave.  And when there are so many good games, as well as movies to watch, books to read, music to listen to, and so on, why would you talk yourself into continually supporting - literally "forever" in your words - a company that is showing an ever-increasing commitment to nickel-and-diming their players? 

I want to play RDR2 as the single player experience looks good and I loved the first game.  But I agree with Piro in many other ways.  GTA Online became a cesspool of microtransactions and bad design choices that were clearly driven by microtransactions.  GTA V DLC became vaporware (some of it repurposed for Online) because microtransactions did so well for them.  This RDR2 preorder stuff hints at more of the same, and while I am waiting to see before judging, I will not be surprised if RDR2 - especially the online component - is equally compromised.  Considering this stuff is rotting the industry from underneath, and turning a community that was already full of misanthropes and trolls into a festering sore of complaining at all times about everything, why should I be in a hurry to support it?  By NOT supporting it, the best-case scenario is that we eventually have a sea change and companies move away from these greedy, fun-ruining business models.  The WORST-case scenario is that I don't personally support a company that is doing its level best to piss me off.  Seems like win-win to me. 

I dunno.  I may still buy the game new.  (I won't do any of these preorders though, or buy a single microtransaction - f*ck that.)  But there's a good chance I'll wait and get it used.  Any money not going into their pockets seems like a win to me.  They have not been listening; they ought to start, and this is seemingly the only thing we can do as individuals that will make them.

cp1dell
7 hours ago, Mirokunite said:

Hopefully you can turn them off like the Golden Guns in RDR. As for the in game boost/weapons you could always just not use them.

I'm worried that the free weapons you get are in the base game, but cost normal players money. And the boosts affect gameplay directly it sounds like, not something you can simply "not use."

NikosUncle
1 hour ago, Nutduster said:

Life being short is all the more reason to not just fork over your money to big companies indiscriminately.  Maybe you just haven't hit your personal breaking point yet, but lots of people are starting to.  This is just the first wave.  And when there are so many good games, as well as movies to watch, books to read, music to listen to, and so on, why would you talk yourself into continually supporting - literally "forever" in your words - a company that is showing an ever-increasing commitment to nickel-and-diming their players? 

I want to play RDR2 as the single player experience looks good and I loved the first game.  But I agree with Piro in many other ways.  GTA Online became a cesspool of microtransactions and bad design choices that were clearly driven by microtransactions.  GTA V DLC became vaporware (some of it repurposed for Online) because microtransactions did so well for them.  This RDR2 preorder stuff hints at more of the same, and while I am waiting to see before judging, I will not be surprised if RDR2 - especially the online component - is equally compromised.  Considering this stuff is rotting the industry from underneath, and turning a community that was already full of misanthropes and trolls into a festering sore of complaining at all times about everything, why should I be in a hurry to support it?  By NOT supporting it, the best-case scenario is that we eventually have a sea change and companies move away from these greedy, fun-ruining business models.  The WORST-case scenario is that I don't personally support a company that is doing its level best to piss me off.  Seems like win-win to me. 

I dunno.  I may still buy the game new.  (I won't do any of these preorders though, or buy a single microtransaction - f*ck that.)  But there's a good chance I'll wait and get it used.  Any money not going into their pockets seems like a win to me.  They have not been listening; they ought to start, and this is seemingly the only thing we can do as individuals that will make them.

Well I guess me and the rest of the slaves to the system will be having fun actually playing the game while you enlightened folk can have fun bitching about all this online instead. 

Dick Justice

In 1998, I could go to the movies for $4, in 2018 it costs $16. A N64 game used to cost my parents $100, now I can buy a brand new AAA release for $89. Games are cheap as sh*t compared to literally every other entertainment medium (novels excluded) in terms of dollar to hour investment. You guys need to go and proselytise elsewhere, we aren't corporate shills because we're willing to spend our money on something we're looking forward to. 

AGNT009

I plan on getting the Ultimate, as I feel the horses in single player and online will be worth it alone. Faster travel in game, a horse that spooks less easily, those sound like great qualities to have and make the game more fun and less frustrating to play with those comforts. If I have the best horse out of the gate, less time trying to find and rope those mystical hard to find horses in game. I also look forward to having a faster horse to pull away from poor kids online, in races and shootouts. 

Would be nice to know what they plan on charging regular players for these warhorses. Like I hope Im paying $20 each for these horses, one for SP and Online, and it will cost players who didnt get Ultimate $40+ to have my superior horse. Even if they make the horse values the same shark card value to the $40 we spent extra for Ultimate, you can guarantee Rockstar will make the commoners grind their hands off to earn $20 horses.

Any bonus money at the start will be welcome. I imagine there might be ranches and better homes to buy in SP and Online, so Im not going to cry over getting extra money like I see some dipsticks in here.