Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Laker23

Assassins Creed Odyssey

Recommended Posts

chronic lumbago

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/assassins-creed-odyssey-screenshots-leaked

 

Tons of real AC: Reskin screenshots have leaked.

 

I'm not complaining, I love the looks of Origins and I don't mind reused assets and style if I get to play in Greece this year.

 

Also, dialogue choices? Not sure what to think of it. I love choice based games, I absolutely do. But in AC, you're in the Animus and follow what already happened, you aren't craving your own path in history if you see my point.

 

Maybe it's just a small dialogue choice here and there and nothing major. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laker23

Man, I'll wait till the conference to judge it but I wish they would have put this in the oven for longer. A 2019 release would have perfect. Really hope the annual releases aren't coming back.

Edited by Laker23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NeonDolphin

Damn man that's not even a reskin. That's Origins with different lighting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HaythamKenway

Looks like Origins that got Blood-and-Wine'd with that color palette. Happy to see the eagle return, here I thought they'd scrap or retool the mechanic, in spite of how effective and successful it was. As expected, it very much looks like Brotherhood/Syndicate to Origins' II/Unity (down to the return of the territorial control?), which isn't by itself a bad thing, both games ended up being worthy endeavours in my book, but I really have to question Ubi's willingness to fall back on the routine that has burned them out in the first place.

 

I'm waiting for the details about the story now, the decision to go back in time again, presumably to the Peloponnesian War is frankly a bit bizzare to me, after Origins left so much open in terms of the actual establishment of the Brotherhood and the formation of the Creed. To actually go forth with the new Mediterrean trilogy, but to drop Bayek right away seems contraproductive to me. I have no clue what they want to do with this thing now. Movements similar to the Assassins' have developed independently around the world, so I'm fine with another formation of the proto-Assassins (especially since Ori didn't bother with exploring the philosophical questions and the ideology behind the Brotherhood, like, at all), but a story like this would make much more sense if it concerned Bayek travelling around, rallying people to his cause, showing how the Assassins became the unified opposing force to the Order/Templars in the Roman world.

 

Or maybe they'll drop the Assassin angle altogether and center the story around the Templars, since the Order was set up as a well-established secret organization by the time of Origins? If the leaks are to be believed, the protagonist is kind of like Élise or reverse-Shay, so a Templar civil war could be an avenue to explore, I suppose.

 

1 hour ago, 1972 said:

Also, dialogue choices? Not sure what to think of it. I love choice based games, I absolutely do. But in AC, you're in the Animus and follow what already happened, you aren't craving your own path in history if you see my point.

 

Maybe it's just a small dialogue choice here and there and nothing major. 

Origins pretty much set up the new modern day arc to revolve around constructing an advanced Animus capable of manipulating/rewriting history. I think what we're seeing here are the first steps in that direction. They really want to make these games full action RPGs, with choice-and-consequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello

Origins looked pretty good so I don't mind but couldn't they come up with a different design for boats? If this takes place before origins that boat in the ninth screenshot should look different.

Edited by Zello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chronic lumbago

@HaythamKenway You're right, I just didn't think they'd actually go with that. Visiting history is one thing, rewriting it or forging your path is another. But I don't care about MD that much anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HaythamKenway
3 minutes ago, 1972 said:

@HaythamKenway You're right, I just didn't think they'd actually go with that. Visiting history is one thing, rewriting it or forging your path is another. But I don't care about MD that much anyways.

Yeah, I have very mixed feelings about the concept too. It'll all depend on the execution, I suppose, and whether they'll get too carried away with the can of worms that is the possibility of diverging timelines and wacky AUs and all that nonsense. There need to be firm rules and limits in place.

 

To be fair to them, given what little we know of Désilets' original plans for AC III, this might be quite similar the direction he wanted to go in as well (Desmond, the time traveller), so it's something that flew around the writing teams before. But were it up to me, I'd leave that idea on the drawing board. It's like after losing the thread on Juno, they just went back to the last idea they had before establishing that plotline in the first place, instead of coming up with something new and better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DareYokel

This could be about the origins of the Templars, if Origins was about the origins of the Assassins. It would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chronic lumbago

Looka dope but that airdrop knockback attack was lame.

 

Edited by 1972
Why do you care, gtaforums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chaise

I've played every main console AC game except Unity but I think I'm gonna be skipping this game. Looks exactly like Origins besides a few new features, just very underwhelming right when it looked like AC was finally heading in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HaythamKenway

The most important question of the night: was that Elias goddamn Toufexis I heard? If he's playing Alexios, then I'm so, so sold on the character already. Sorry Cass, you know I'd pick you otherwise.

 

So, Ubi Quebec, probably the second run of the Syndicate team. I had hoped that the rumors were true and that the Unity team would be the one helming this game, but I guess not. My hopes of bigger emphasis on stealth and Unity-like mission design probably won't be fulfilled. The demo didn't even showcase any stealth period, which is saying something. Even Origins nudged in some token stealth gameplay, amidst all the gushing about the new combat.

 

And wow, they're really going hard for that Witcher angle, aren't they. Origins still had at least some pretense of being an Assassin's Creed game (mainly by the virtue of the premise), but, on face value, this is as alien to the series as Black Flag was on its' initial reveal. I mean, there even seems to be a faction system, in that we'll be free to align either with the Delian or Peloponnesian League at will and if they're really going as far as possibly introducing a branching narrative... these are no baby steps, faffing about with dialogue options, they're diving right in. Handling the internal canon of the series and the real historical backdrop is going to be a peculiar balancing act. I'm really curious how far they'll go with this and how they'll take care of it.

 

Interesting that what they told us about the story didn't adress the Templars or some shady nondescript conspiracy (that would totally be the Templars anyway), which leads me to believe that the story really might be one of the Order's origin, whether by the protagonists' deliberate actions or through ramifications thereof. It would be a neat twist if we're led to believe that we're these heroic proto-Assassins or whatever and the big twist at the end of the game is that we'll actually found the Templar Order. Kind of like the Haytham reveal, but on a larger scale. It could easily work, given how similar both factions are, when the Templars aren't written as evil overlords, that is, and both Athens and Sparta were far more Templar-ish at the time anyway.

 

I like the idea of a Piece of Eden as a tool constantly at your disposal, giving you more supernatural abilities and such. It's an idea that AC has played with for a long time (since Brohood at the earliest) and it could spice up the gameplay in interesting ways. Also interested in how they seem to be leaning more into the Isu lore again, making the protagonists' "special bloodline" a big point, after pushing it into background from Unity onwards.

 

And yeah, the Minotaur. Okay. I don't even think it's a dream sequence like Origins anymore. Anything goes at this point, I think, all the rules are out of the window. I dearly hope it won't collapse on top of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luisniko

Apart from reusing UI and its design concept, several props, textures, and probably game balance, the game itself brings a new freaking world, weapon, movesets, character models, music, story, missions, voice over, and gameplay feature like the dialog choice.

 

It's quite steep to discredit all those blood and sweat just because of similar UI and some assets that look identical to Origin's.

 

Anyway, I'll skip Origins and get this instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello

I'm sold on this I like the setting and more RPG choices.

 

I do wonder if next year they release a game in Ancient Rome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luisniko

Actually I'm glad after the stream of ugly (protagonist) characters (especially for female) in recent Ubisoft games such as FC5, GR Wildlands, The Division, and the upcoming The Crew 2, this side of Ubisoft are still making their protagonists to be nice looking and bearable to look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DareYokel
6 hours ago, HaythamKenway said:

And wow, they're really going hard for that Witcher angle, aren't they.

And failing miserably. It's Origins with a barely fresh coat of paint from gameplay and graphics perspective. Not that I'm complaining about the graphics. Also, let's not pretend like RPG elements are going to be anything but shallow and totally bare-bones.

 

But if we're going to compare it to The Witcher 3, the greatest asset is missing entirely - good writing. God damn, Ubisoft needs to hire better writers. Ever since Syndicate the writing has been absolutely f*ckin' atrocious. There was still some semblance of quality in Unity, but maybe that's where the writing started going downhill. And not to mention how weird character facial expressions and mannerism are. They all basically behave like robots doing an intentionally bad impersonation of humans. AC III and Black Flag had that sh*t nailed down. So what happened?

Edited by Darth Yokel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DareYokel

I saw that. Not sure if I should have. It just makes me hate the characters and the writing even more. I just can't get past how godawful it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kBlaise

Ubisoft is back at the conveyor belt, I see.

 

It's like they're started using cookie cutters instead of actual people to make their games. Red Dead is probably going to murder the sales of this low effort game in October (and every single one that comes later during RDR2's product cycle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kBlaise
4 hours ago, Darth Yokel said:

And not to mention how weird character facial expressions and mannerism are. They all basically behave like robots doing an intentionally bad impersonation of humans. AC III and Black Flag had that sh*t nailed down. So what happened?

 

 

They're not spending the necessary time and effort to animate the character's faces properly. They simply don't care. Maintaining the release schedule is more important.

 

 

On 6/10/2018 at 12:44 PM, HaythamKenway said:

I have no clue what they want to do with this thing now.

 

Nor does Ubisoft yet, if you ask me, lol.

Edited by kBlaise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luisniko

The question is that why one would think this was worked after Origins just because it has similar elements to Origins' and will be released several months after Origins? 

 

All the research, storywriting, coding, casting, voice acting, and every single production of the so-happily-remarked as 'low effort' assets outside the ones shared by Origins were done within the span of more or less than 8 months? Are you even sure about that?

 

Never had the thought of speculation that both Origins and Odyssey are most probably two projects going on within the same time frame? Like that GTAIII and Vice City case? Or Rockstar gets the golden boy pass again for that (despite of them starting to use the typical Ubi scheme with RDR2 *shots fired*)?

 

Jesus Christ, gaming community...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Money Over Bullshit

As similar as this game looks to Origins I think they're really trying to do something different with this game. Therefore I think its main connection to the rest of the series will be in its exploration of the back story related to The First Civilization rather than the later conflict between the Templars and the Assassins. We may however get a glimpse at the origins of the Order of the Ancients.

 

The setting is actually quite important here. Not only will it give them a chance to let us play through a very interesting time in human history but it will also be a perfect playing field for the history of the Ancients and the first civilization. According to what we know the first civilization existed in Sumer, Mesopotamia around 4000 BCE. After crafting the first sail boats these early humans then made their way north into the Greek Islands and many ancient temples exist around there. The likes of Juno and Jupiter as I'm sure many of you know were later Roman versions of Greek Deities such as Hera and Zeus who were members of what are known as The Olympians - essentially the third incarceration of Primordial deities like Erebus and Aether (Darkness and Light). If we go right back you're essentially talking about physical representations of the elements which came about during the creation of the universe so we may get some insight into the second bang which wiped out the majority of human life. 

 

Probably unintentional but the introduction of choices is also an interesting one, especially when you consider ancient greece as the birthplace of western philosophy and deep thought about the concepts of right and wrong and the consequences of ones actions etc. They say that they want to give players the chance to rewrite history so perhaps this is may give us an insight into the motivations of Order of the Ancients aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kBlaise
5 minutes ago, luisniko said:

The question is that why one would think this was worked after Origins just because it has similar elements to Origins' and will be released several months after Origins? 

 

All the research, storywriting, coding, casting, voice acting, and every single production of the so-happily-remarked as 'low effort' assets outside the ones shared by Origins were done within the span of more or less than 8 months? Are you even sure about that?

 

Never had the thought of speculation that both Origins and Odyssey are most probably two projects going on within the same time frame? Like that GTAIII and Vice City case? Or Rockstar gets the golden boy pass again for that (despite of them starting to use the typical Ubi scheme with RDR2 *shots fired*)?

 

Jesus Christ, gaming community...

 

No need for drama though, arguments are fine.

 

Comparing something Rockstar did in the early 2000s to what Ubi is doing right now doesn't make much sense. The last Red Dead game came out 8 years ago. How many Assassin's Creed games were released since 2010? I can't even count.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DareYokel
1 hour ago, kBlaise said:

They're not spending the necessary time and effort to animate the character's faces properly. They simply don't care. Maintaining the release schedule is more important.

I could deal with that sh*t if it weren't for the terrible writing that goes with it. The characters in their latest games don't speak like humans, they don't have actual conversations. They look like they're reading a speech from a script. They strike some kind of dramatic pose, make some kind of awkward gesture followed by a more awkward facial animation that makes no sense and then they proceed by uttering every goddamn f*ckin' sentence like they're delivering a badly written poetic speech to an audience instead of talking to the person that's in front of them.

 

One of the sh*ttiest examples of that from Origins is from this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpDzwgzamPs

Look at how the wife reacts and listen to her dumb f*ckin' words. It's a theatrical speech, not a genuine reaction to her husband being murdered. Assassin's Creed always had a problem with this, but lately it has become pretty extreme and nonsensical.

 

Compare that with this scene and how people react to a death of someone close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRQyE-xX14

 

Edited by Darth Yokel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello

In the footage of Odyssey released so far I find that Kassandra is better animated than Alexios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mokrie Dela

They've well and truly killed this franchise. It does with Desmond despite IVBF being one of my favourites. They lost sight completely of the original vision and style. Rpg? Seriously? I enjoyed origins but only because I viewed it as a spin off. Naively thought they'd return to the classic set up. But no. I cringed through the e3 segment and feel a great lamenting sorrow for the corruption and loss of a great unique francise. Why not just make this a new Ip completely? 

I'm going back to play 1-rogue....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dbzk1999
1 hour ago, Mokrie Dela said:

They've well and truly killed this franchise. It does with Desmond despite IVBF being one of my favourites. They lost sight completely of the original vision and style. Rpg? Seriously? I enjoyed origins but only because I viewed it as a spin off. Naively thought they'd return to the classic set up. But no. I cringed through the e3 segment and feel a great lamenting sorrow for the corruption and loss of a great unique francise. Why not just make this a new Ip completely? 

I'm going back to play 1-rogue....

Yeah, you do that.

 

Anyways, curious on how the isu will be explored. Having a PoE on you at all times will probably lead to some interesting interactions also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95

Is this even AC anymore..wtf. They are going even further with the Witcher's Creed direction. Just because Unity and Syndicate sucked they changed the whole franchise.

 

I miss the Ezio Trilogy days, peak AC

12 hours ago, Darth Yokel said:

I could deal with that sh*t if it weren't for the terrible writing that goes with it. The characters in their latest games don't speak like humans, they don't have actual conversations. They look like they're reading a speech from a script. They strike some kind of dramatic pose, make some kind of awkward gesture followed by a more awkward facial animation that makes no sense and then they proceed by uttering every goddamn f*ckin' sentence like they're delivering a badly written poetic speech to an audience instead of talking to the person that's in front of them.

 

One of the sh*ttiest examples of that from Origins is from this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpDzwgzamPs

Look at how the wife reacts and listen to her dumb f*ckin' words. It's a theatrical speech, not a genuine reaction to her husband being murdered. Assassin's Creed always had a problem with this, but lately it has become pretty extreme and nonsensical.

 

Compare that with this scene and how people react to a death of someone close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRQyE-xX14

 

Definitely. Ubisoft's writing is worse than its ever been. The last few AC games were atrocious in this regard.  CDPR makes them look like Amateur's lol, not even worth comparing

13 hours ago, kBlaise said:

Ubisoft is back at the conveyor belt, I see.

 

It's like they're started using cookie cutters instead of actual people to make their games. Red Dead is probably going to murder the sales of this low effort game in October (and every single one that comes later during RDR2's product cycle).

If its as great as it seems to be, yeah RDR2 will be way more successful. Rockstar actually takes their time and makes special games that people look forward to. Ubisoft is like a machine and shoves as much games as possible in your face

Edited by Journey_95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chronic lumbago

Even the beloved Ezio collection had its fair share of flaws. I personally love the new direction and put 150 hours into Origins - still want to start a NG+.

 

Bayek is also my favorite protag in the series. I know, sounds blasphemous but I'm 100% convinced he is. I have to leave it at that for now, I'm at work but my full report is coming soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty

I watched the gameplay reveal and afterwards I got the urge to kick someone into a well screaming THISSS IS SPPAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! at the top of my lungs. I still need to get around to finishing Origins, but this looks really nice.

 

I agree the series has lost sight since the Ezio storyline wrapped up, but the games can still be enjoyable if a bit hit and miss. Ancient Greece has always been one of my most favourite historical periods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.