Starfield

Typhus

Yea they've done a fair amount of fixes and made some nice little additions, but it does feel like the bigger stuff (planetary vehicles, like they teased) are gonna be tied to the DLC update - maybe not exclusive to the DLC, but coming w/ it.

Should be around that time we get the Creation Kit as well, which is the big one. Starfield's mod scene is bubbling a long quite nicely for a new IP, it's had some pretty sizable mods already, but everything is still a bit hacky and reliant on console/config f*ckery still until we get the CK. 

• Like 1

Failed Again

I don't see a lot of need, other than another way to get around, maybe things added for more exploration will be nice, glad if they do add it.

With Gravity dash and personnel atmosphere .. you get around fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
Gettin up

Did Starfield flop? I played 100 hours of it last year after the release and enjoyed it till I got to the point where exploring was not fun anymore, rather boring.

reviews are about ~59% positive
https://steamdb.info/app/1716740/

I was laughed at when I told that Starfield was -33% off on Steam, people claiming that it’s not worth it even on sale.

Financially it's hard to say what it did, because Games Pass took a big chunk of it's Steam playerbase which is a decent way to judge if a game has been successful.

Critically? It didn't meet expectations and that's that, BGS games are expected to be serious GoTY contenders and Starfield wasn't even in the conversation, albeit it was an exceptionally strong year for games and RPG's.

The game is in a bit of a lul right now because everyone who likes Starfield is pretty much waiting on DLC and the Creation Kit. The game sorely needs some official additions, with some type of planetary vehicle already confirmed, but it also needs the CK cause right now mods are very limited or hacky.

I've gave my thoughts on it in this thread since launch but looking back on it I'd say it's probably a high 7 out of 10 for me today. It's got all the BGS systems I adore, but it either doesn't execute them well (outposts) or it doesn't do a good job at connecting them in the way Skyrim and Fallout 4 did (most of everything), and then on top of that the main story was lackluster and didn't connect with the factions like BGS games typically do. It's best played as a space sandbox IMO, but yea, it really needs a bit of love from BGS and the modding community to get started before that can happen. It'll have a bit of a turnaround once that finally happens.

I am still genuinely looking forward to the DLC and mods though, I'll be playing it a lot more in future, just... not today lol.

Speaking of Starfield Todd was interviewed by Kindafunny on all things Bethesda, but he did confirm/talk about some tidbits:

• Big Starfield update is getting announced any day now which will contain ship building stuff and city maps, will enter Steam beta first like the other updates.
  • Other display (performance?) modes in the works.
  • He also specifically says Shattered Space is in the fall, some hints it may be shown at the Xbox summer showcase
  • Starfield CK (mod kit) has been shared with some Starfield modders, but no date yet.
  • Set a record for players at launch for BGS (was confirmed at launch too IIRC)

Punkd
Posted (edited)

Edited by Punkd
  • Like 1

Jason

Every single one of those changes or additions is great... though it does make you wonder why the game didn't get an extra year in the cooker, lol.

That gameplay options menu is absolutely genius as well, the ability to tweak all that stuff to tailor the difficulty, survival aspects and some QoL stuff to your liking is straight up 10/10, it will remove the need for so many little QoL console script mods.

Still think I'll wait for the CK to be out before I dive back in, but I am very much looking forward to it when I do.

Per Xbox leaks the other day, Shattered Space sounds like it'll be out in September, or at least that is their internal aim right now.

• Like 1

Failed Again
Posted (edited)

Love the interior ship decorating, and all the new sliders that allow so much more.

And The FPS toggle allows 40 fps mode on 120 Hz  TV/Monitors

and a land-base Vehicle- were show.

Edited by Failed Again

lndex

I do like that they've made the surface maps detailed. That sh*t we had before was straight up awful.

Creation Kit will be my reason for returning as well. Let that steep for a bit and see what modpacks people bring out.

• Like 1

Jason

The surface maps are far better than I expected tbh, I was expecting something half arsed and only focused on cities, which is why I wasn't super interested in seeing them work on them, but no, the way they've done them is great.

I'm excited for the gameplay options stuff:

HwvAhUW.png

I think a lite survival setup would be fun for me - sustenance on on (works well with the "eat" button they added), maybe a different sleep heal setting, probably go with increased enemy damage in ground fights too. I'll likely ramp up cargo access distance and carry capacity a little too.

Mister Pink

I love being incentivized to play on harder difficulty just like Forza.  

I've loads of side-quests and the story to complete so I'm glad I took my time and took a break. I'll probably play it for a month, put it down again and wait for the DLC in autumn. 

Failed Again
Posted (edited)

This from Steam Note now in Beta for PC

This added note explains the FPS tweaks on the way.

(PLEASE NOTE: This update is currently in Steam Beta before going live for all players. We don’t anticipate much to change from this update but will let you know when it’s available and any adjustments we make to the notes below. Thank you!)

Xbox Series X Display Settings

We’ve heard from many that you’d like to have more control over the graphic fidelity and performance on Xbox, similar to how PC players can customize their experience. We’re now enabling that on Xbox Series X with a few options that you can use to find the best fit for your playstyle and display.

For each of these, we highly recommend a Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) Display running at 120hz, and to verify your Xbox is setup to use it. If you have it setup this way, Starfield will now default to a frame rate target of 40, while keeping the priority for full visuals.

Frame Rate Target: You can now choose between 30, 40, 60 or an Uncapped frame rate on VRR displays. If you do not have a VRR display running 120hz, you will still be able to select from 30 or 60. Screen tearing may occur at times when selecting 60 on a non-VRR display.
Prioritize: You can now prioritize between Visuals and Performance while trying to maintain the frame rate target. If you’re choosing a frame rate target of 60 or above, we recommend changing this to Performance. Prioritizing Visuals keeps the highest resolution while maintaining full detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Prioritizing Performance lowers internal resolution and detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier as well. When switching between modes, you will see the lighting change briefly as the system catches up to the new mode.

Edited by Failed Again

Space Cowboy

The land vehicles and the expansion are exciting (the artwork they showed is looking intriguing to say the least), and I am hoping down the line they will tweak and expand the outpost building system with more features. There is a lot of potential in that area especially, and I hope they will address that issue. The maps look great actually, but it's one of the things that Bethesda absolutely deserves criticism for. I can forgive them not including the vehicles and modifying the ship upgrade systems in the patches, but the maps should have been in the game day one. It's such an essential feature, and frankly it's baffling they decided to ship the game without any sort of proper city map. Starfield is actually one of my favourite Bethesda games (I realize I might be in the minority), but Bethesda made some truly baffling decisions when making this game.

Jason

From the text on the screen it's all but written official confirmation that the DLC will be about the House of Va'ruun, which was by far away the most interesting faction in the base game.

Also in the same segment they also tease new quests and then show a bunch of bounties on the wall of the Akila manor, which is likely them hinting towards Tracker Alliance DLC/update too, which is a faction that should've really been a big part of the vanilla game cause I mean, space bounty hunting is classic sci-fi, but it's good to see them working on that too.

Based on what they showed in the May update video alone it is reasonable to say that they really did need another year or two to really be able to polish of the foundations and then flesh the factions and gameplay systems out a bit more, but it is good to see them doing the right things post-launch at least. This game does have a big future, despite some fearmongering that goes about around it.

UT1-Dot
7 hours ago, Jason said:

From the text on the screen it's all but written official confirmation that the DLC will be about the House of Va'ruun, which was by far away the most interesting faction in the base game.

Also in the same segment they also tease new quests and then show a bunch of bounties on the wall of the Akila manor, which is likely them hinting towards Tracker Alliance DLC/update too, which is a faction that should've really been a big part of the vanilla game cause I mean, space bounty hunting is classic sci-fi, but it's good to see them working on that too.

Based on what they showed in the May update video alone it is reasonable to say that they really did need another year or two to really be able to polish of the foundations and then flesh the factions and gameplay systems out a bit more, but it is good to see them doing the right things post-launch at least. This game does have a big future, despite some fearmongering that goes about around it.

I bought it and honestly cannot stand it.

I am glad you guys get something out of it.

Bethesda seem to have lost some places in the pecking order.

But that’s just me…

Jason

Oh do not get me wrong, Starfield doesn't meet the expectations and standards BGS had from their previous games.

I think my assessment of it would be pretty much what I meant earlier, that it needed 1-2 more years. The reason being, and I remember thinking this when playing cause it screamed it, but it felt like they spent so much time building out the systems and making the game actually work that they didn't have time to fill it. The foundations are there for a whole ton of stuff, but the execution is either meh or barebones for a lot of it:

Tracker alliance aka bounty hunting? Relegated to proc gen quests, and they don't utilise things like the jails you can install on your ship.

Ship customisation is good, but interior customisation not being in there day 1? Bizarre.

Ship crews, the raw groundwork is there but they don't utilise them in any meaningful way.

Outposts, a shadow of Fallout 4's settlement system, they feel massively undercooked.

Crime / piracy, just in general unfinished, but the foundations are there.

There's quests with a glaring lack of alternate options that any tester would've immediatelly thought of the moment they tried it, leaving some quests feeling very undercooked.

The list goes on lol. All the stuff you'd expect in a modern BGS title is there, it's just a lot of it isn't finished or executed like you'd expect. Couple this with some aging production values - monotone voice acting and dated dialogue "cutscenes", and you get Starfield. If you're a BGS fan and love sci-fi, like me, there's still a good amount to enjoy especially if you enjoy looter shooter type experiences, but as a BGS RPG it's lacking in a whole bunch of areas. But as I said earlier, when you look at what they're doing post-launch, it really does now feel like they essentially ran out of time or felt the need to get it out the door for whatever reason - it was in dev too long, wanted to start TES VI production, whatever.

Margot Robbed Me

The only two major issues they would have to address for it to go from a 6/10 to 9+/10 for me, is making the main story less sh*t, and expanding the outpost system.

The build limit on the outpost is ridiculously limiting. I've had to abandon my outposts about not even halfway in because I ran into the allowable limit. Also, the actual diameter of the area you are allowed to build in is tiny. A third issue is the fact that you cannot build more than one outpost in that instanced map. You can build multiple outposts on the same planet, but traveling from one to another means taking off on your loading screen simulator ship, and landing at the other instanced landing area.

This seems like a huge missed opportunity. Although the maps aren't infinite (i've walked to the edge to confirm it myself), there is plenty of space in each instanced map to allow you to build multiple outposts. With the addition of vehicles, this would have made even more sense, allowing you to drive between your outposts. But no, it seems Bethesda was content in delivering a builder which is a few step backwards from FO4.

Dick Justice

Excited for more updates over the next 6-12 months, the release of Shattered Space and modding tools (all I need is alternate start and some more character customization options). Fortunately I have so many other games to play and not enough time to play them all. When I finally get a chance to jump back into Starfield it'll be a completely different experience. 

Jason
10 hours ago, Margot Robbed Me said:

Although the maps aren't infinite (i've walked to the edge to confirm it myself)

Actually the past few updates have had changes there. It's all very WIP, but map limits and crashes when going beyond your initial planet tile have been fixed/removed. It's all very WIP like I said, but it is clear they are working on stuff with planetary tiles and map limits, likely cause of vehicles.

Margot Robbed Me
3 hours ago, Jason said:

Actually the past few updates have had changes there. It's all very WIP, but map limits and crashes when going beyond your initial planet tile have been fixed/removed. It's all very WIP like I said, but it is clear they are working on stuff with planetary tiles and map limits, likely cause of vehicles.

Goes to show how little I've played the game since finishing it. The updates might be great for new players. Not so much for returning players like myself, which is why I haven't returned.

I don't think I've touched the game since any of the updates have arrived. I've read each update, and I couldn't care less about them since they all add nothing significant. Including the latest one, which has the new map interface and the difficulty sliders. I already know the city layouts, I don't need to open a map anymore. On procedural maps, now I can open the map to see how empty it all is. As for the difficulty sliders, I hardly change individual settings, it's just a chore adjuster to me. The ship interior decorator is probably the only thing that interests me, but since it just looks like the outpost builder, I'm not even going to bother playing this update either. Especially since no matter how much you decorate your ship, it will still feel empty and depressing inside, just like your outposts. 😂

Everyone is just waiting for the DLC.

As for the map size limit being removed/adjusted. It's another very small step in the right direction I suppose but adds nothing significant at this moment in time. Let's see if they take advantage of it. If all it has done is remove the limit, and left the planet just as barren as before with no ability to build another outpost or do any other meaningful activity, then it just adds to the list of missed opportunities in this game.

Jason

Yea the changes thus far are all positive, but nothing that's worth coming back to if you've already played a good amount. I did check out the beta very briefly, had a play with the gameplay options and whatnot. It's all good stuff, I really like being able to tailor your game to what you want, easy, hard, QoL (cargo distance, carry capacity) but also healing from healing items and food, survival mechanics like sustenance, environmental hazards, player afflictions (cuts, bleeds, poisons etc). I messed w/ it a little in beta, but I 100% think all my future time w/ Starfield will have sustenance on for example.

But yea, there's still a ways to go, especially w/ outposts but I suspect mods will go far with those on PC - I do remember hearing some of the Fallout 4 Sim Settlements folk had ideas for them, but TBD if they're actually gonna work on it. 

The main story issues will never be fixed for me I suspect. I don't like that the story is built around NG+ and I also don't like how the factions are irrelevant to the main story, even if I did enjoy the three main faction storylines I did. But, like my FO4 playthroughs, my future Starfield playthroughs won't be about the main story, or even potentially the faction stories. My mod focus will be primarily on things that expand the current systems and/or introduce new ones.

• 1 month later...

What a trailer that was! I think I'll wait until I've finished with the DLC and then move onto fully modding the game.

Shattered Space looks really cool. That's the type of sci-fi weirdness I'd have loved to see more of over the multiverse stuff we got in the vanilla game.

• Like 1

libkotvjbl5d1.png

So it's focusing on one planet. Hopefully this leads to some more meaningful exploration.

• Like 1