3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Starfield

Typhus

• 2 weeks later...

Not much is revealed about Starfield in this interview but thought I'd share anyway

Meet Emil Pagliarulo, lead designer on Starfield

Couple of noteworthy things to me was he mentioned games Starfield takes inspiration from being Thief, Spiderman and Cyberpunk 2077. And his favorite experience working on a Bethesda title was Fallout 3.

Edited by AkshayKumar
  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

JP0cYXG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Looks like two of those concept shots are of the Neon city in Starfield judging by the file names.

And I'm all for neon soaked cities, so if the game looks anything as close to these concept arts. Then i'll be happy.

https://starfield.fandom.com/wiki/Neon

Starfield_EmilInterview_Neon1.png

Starfield_EmilInterview_Neon2.png

Edited by DEADWOODZ

Yea if they can recreate the concept art.. man oh man.

Just really hoping they're doing the Fallout 4 thing where they're gonna reveal the game and launch a few months later, cause with all the delays already into 2023 and no doubt more to come, this is the one game I really want to play this year.

Mexicola9302

The game will still use Creation Engine 2, in an updated version but still the same old engine, that means there will be bad multicore CPU utilization, that will lead to bad perfomance, wich also means there will be a very limited number of light sources (4 max). Because Creation Engine 2 still uses DX11 not Vulkan or DX12 or DX12 Ultimate.

Sure this means the game most probably will have the first few mods available on day 1 on Nexus Mods, that is a good thing. But this also means the game will come with lots of bugs like usual, i can already see "Unofficial Starfield Patch" or "USP" being a thing. Also the game will need a Script Extender to create mods that need a lot of scripting. Sure the bugs themselves have nothing to do with the API, that's just the classic lazy Bethesda code, but im 100% sure there will be an USP, and a Script Extender.

Same goes for The Elder Scrolls VI, that will also still use the good old Creation Engine 2.

This article is pretty good.

DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 12 oversimplified

DX11 is also the reason why the FPS in GTA Online goes down by 50% and more if there are many players in a session, doing many things at once. This doesn't happen in Red Dead Online at all, there the FPS don't get affected at all by the number of players, you always have the same FPS.

Theoratically Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI could be played with only Windows 7 installed. And this in the year 2022, because it doesn't use any new hardware features at all.

This also means something like this ingame is impossible.

Well except they use a lot of fake lights, but that would make it look bad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mexicola9302 said:

The game will still use Creation Engine 2, in an updated version but still the same old engine, that means there will be bad multicore CPU utilization, that will lead to bad perfomance, wich also means there will be a very limited number of light sources (4 max). Because Creation Engine 2 still uses DX11 not Vulkan or DX12 or DX12 Ultimate.

Sure this means the game most probably will have the first few mods available on day 1 on Nexus Mods, that is a good thing. But this also means the game will come with lots of bugs like usual, i can already see "Unofficial Starfield Patch" or "USP" being a thing. Also the game will need a Script Extender to create mods that need a lot of scripting. Sure the bugs themselves have nothing to do with the API, that's just the classic lazy Bethesda code, but im 100% sure there will be an USP, and a Script Extender.

Same goes for The Elder Scrolls VI, that will also still use the good old Creation Engine 2.

This article is pretty good.

DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 12 oversimplified

DX11 is also the reason why the FPS in GTA Online goes down by 50% and more if there are many players in a session, doing many things at once. This doesn't happen in Red Dead Online at all, there the FPS don't get affected at all by the number of players, you always have the same FPS.

Theoratically Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI could be played with only Windows 7 installed. And this in the year 2022, because it doesn't use any new hardware features at all.

This also means something like this ingame is impossible.

Well except they use a lot of fake lights, but that would make it look bad.

...what are you basing this off?

Seems like fearmongering speculation to me, lol.

Just because they're using an updated version of their engine doesn't mean they can't fix previous issues, can't support DX12, can't increase the light sources, etc etc etc.

RDR2 uses an updated version of the GTA V engine, ya'know.

• Like 3

Mexicola9302

I googled around a bit, it seems there will be no Playstation 5 version of Starfield, it stays exclusive to X-Box and PC and that could reallly mean they will use DX12, because PS5 uses it's own weird API.

I hope that is true, i mean it's sad for PS5 owners, but a good thing for X-Box and PC players, if they drop support for that, if that means that Bethesda games can finally run fine.

33 minutes ago, Mexicola9302 said:

I googled around a bit, it seems there will be no Playstation 5 version of Starfield, it stays exclusive to X-Box and PC and that could reallly mean they will use DX12, because PS5 uses it's own weird API.

I hope that is true, i mean it's sad for PS5 owners, but a good thing for X-Box and PC players, if they drop support for that, if that means that Bethesda games can finally run fine.

PS5 has literally zero to do with a game supporting DX12 lol. There are multi plat games that are out on PS5 that use DX12 on PC.

All your fears are based on nothing but your imagination at this point mate, let us get some actual info and substantial footage outside of some very small glimpses before we start writing the game off.

Reminder we do have some very small snippets of gameplay footage and supposedly the trailer from last year was in-game;

vlcsnap-2022-03-16-11h47m46s253-16474313

Image compression aside, they've clearly put quite a lot of work into the engine.

• Like 2

dunno tbh mate, its just a room with boxes in .  looks like regular bethesda style

and its a bit bloody dark need to munch a few carrots to see what's going on in that pic lol !  f*cking hell

• Like 2

Lets just ignore the clearly improved lighting, reflections and illumination and all that.

Fallout 4 looked dated when it came out, this looks like it actually might look good for it's time when it launches.

• Like 2

We've even got that supposedly huge gameplay showcase coming up sometime in the summer. 

• Like 1

Frankly it's a bit baffling to see the same people come in here and predict the game will be a complete disaster based on literally nothing. Citing Fallout 76, which has been done in the past, makes zero sense as previously mentioned as they are completely different teams. Starfield is in development by the main BGS team, which developed Fallout, Skyrim, etc.

It could be a disaster, but lets wait for some gameplay instead of fearmongering without any evidence to back it up.

• Like 3

A look at one of the companions we've briefly seen.

Edited by DEADWOODZ
  • Like 2

All these regular little videos give me hope the game is on track. I'm barely watching them mind you, and I'll only watch the gameplay reveal this summer, cause this is a game I wanna go in blind as possible.

GiveMeLiberty78

Starfield seems like a really interesting concept to me. I rarely have time for gaming, but I like the idea of a role-playing game set in space and among different planets. I also like the drip-feeding of small, almost cryptic, updates; it definitely works my imagination.

But I would like to know what kind of PC specs you guys think Starfield might need to run at, say, a steady 60fps (1080p). I have read mention of DX12 and the Creation Engine 2 in this thread and other websites, but I wonder what kind of hardware PC gamers might need to run it well. (I understand that "run it well" is very subjective. I am particularly curious / apprehensive because of the ongoing GPU availability and price problems.)

Again I don't have much time for PC gaming, but I am open-minded and optimistic about Starfield. Assuming that my PC can run it well and that I've got the time, I'd really like to give it a go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveMeLiberty78 said:

Starfield seems like a really interesting concept to me. I rarely have time for gaming, but I like the idea of a role-playing game set in space and among different planets. I also like the drip-feeding of small, almost cryptic, updates; it definitely works my imagination.

But I would like to know what kind of PC specs you guys think Starfield might need to run at, say, a steady 60fps (1080p). I have read mention of DX12 and the Creation Engine 2 in this thread and other websites, but I wonder what kind of hardware PC gamers might need to run it well. (I understand that "run it well" is very subjective. I am particularly curious / apprehensive because of the ongoing GPU availability and price problems.)

Again I don't have much time for PC gaming, but I am open-minded and optimistic about Starfield. Assuming that my PC can run it well and that I've got the time, I'd really like to give it a go.

We're seeing small jumps in min and req specs with new games now as more and more games drop last-gen, nVidia 1060's were often the recommended spec (not min) for 1080p/60fps for a good while but I've seen that jump to nVidia 1080's to even 2000 series cards now. I'd personally not be surprised to see a recommended requirement of something like;

AMD 3600x

nVidia 2060

16gb RAM

For 1080p/60fps. If the game supports raytracing the requirement for those options will be a 3000 series for recommended specs. Hopefully the game will support FSR 2.0 and DLSS too but there's no confirmation of any of that yet IIRC. Xbox titles haven't had the best support of either on PC yet sadly.

GiveMeLiberty78

Thanks for the reply @Jason, good to know. I hope for FSR support too as an AMD user. I guess that Starfield's specs are as elusive as much of the gameplay.

I also like that the main developer stated clearly that there is no multiplayer feature; it will be exclusively single player. Since GTA 5 failed to deliver single-player DLC - plus the rising tendency towards highly-monetized, micro-transaction-driven gameplay, and NFTs - I dislike multiplayer gaming as a concept. Maybe it's just me getting older and cynical, but multiplayer games (e.g., GTA 4) used to be simple, fun, and non-monetized. For what it's worth, I like some MMORPG/multiplayer concepts, such as Star Citizen, but that game has become a crowd-funding phenomenon (for better or worse), and personally I think that they need to stop developing frankly-overpriced ships and pushing sleek videos which really are not representative of the often buggy gameplay and poorly-optimised engine (I tried it about a year ago, and I really liked the concept but felt that it was poorly implemented). So I like the idea of a single-player RPG set in a futuristic, space setting. I just cannot find anywhere any confirmation that is will be an open-world/'sandbox', but some of you guys seem quite sure that it will be. I hope so too.

Anyway, back on topic: Speaking of PC specs, mine are W10 64b, 1TB SSD, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Intel i7-4790K (base clock 4.5GHz), and an 8GB AMD RX 6600 XT (not overclocked either). I am impressed with frame rates in Cyberpunk 2077 and MSFS as very different examples, but my CPU is becoming a bottleneck so I'm realistically trying to predict how much shelf-life my current rig has. I think that ray-tracing in Starfield could look incredible, but on my rig it would definitely be a no-go.

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78

1 minute ago, GiveMeLiberty78 said:

Anyway, back on topic: Speaking of PC specs, mine are W10 64b, 1TB SSD, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Intel i7-4790K (base clock 4.5GHz), and an 8GB AMD RX 6600 XT (not overclocked either). I am impressed with frame rates in Cyberpunk 2077 and MSFS as very different examples, but my CPU is becoming a bottleneck so I'm realistically trying to predict how much self-life my current rig has. I think that ray-tracing in Starfield could look incredible, but on my rig it would definitely be a no-go.

Yea the rest of the specs look decent enough for 1080p gaming but yea that CPU is definitely having it's last stand when it comes to new AAA games in 2022, 4c/8t is struggling these days from what I've seen.

GiveMeLiberty78
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Yea the rest of the specs look decent enough for 1080p gaming but yea that CPU is definitely having it's last stand when it comes to new AAA games in 2022, 4c/8t is struggling these days from what I've seen.

Indeed, I totally agree; I am surprised that my CPU has lasted this long (upgraded in 2015), and that my rig runs things as well as it does. I even managed to buy that GPU for £350 (brand new by the way), which in the current economy was/is a bargain. When the day eventually comes, I may as well upgrade/overhaul my whole PC. Hopefully it lasts just long enough for me to try Starfield.

• 3 weeks later...
Mister Pink

Would be curious to see this if it materializes. However, I can't get into MMORPGs as much as a try. I'm mostly a solo player and there's something soul sucking about being in a world where they're always leading you to make purchases. I can't help but feel the whole world is nerfed in order for you to slide down that sweet sales funnel. 

Edited by Mister Pink

1 hour ago, Mister Pink said:

However, I can't get into MMORPGs as much as a try. I'm mostly a solo player and there's something soul sucking about being in a world where they're always leading you to make purchases.

The bad ones are like that, the good ones aren't. That said, MMO monetisation is usually different from what you see in games like GTAO, Destiny, etc. A lot of GTAO players hate the idea of stuff like cosmetics locked behind a cash shop, where as MMO players are happy with that if it means no pay to skip aka pay to win.

But yea, MMO's are structured entirely differently from a single player RPG. Where as if I load up Skyrim I can go exploring and find great weapons, new armour, secrets, treasure, loot, etc, where as in an MMO all that stuff comes through progression rather than exploration and stumbling upon something.

The result is that if you have little to no experience with MMO's you can load it up and see a cash shop full of skins, play it a bit and get a load of samey loot that all looks and plays the same and think the cash shop is the way to go, when it's not - in the good MMO's at least lol.

But anyway, the MMO genre has been dead in this part of the world through a mix or one too many flops, difficult to break the WoW dominance in the past, and the very risky nature of them, as they're the most expensive games to make period.

Buuuuuuuuut, we've seen a lot of games in recent years draw from the genre bit by bit, games like Destiny, GTAO, The Division, Fallout 76 and more. I've suspected for a while that we'll eventually see a big western dev take a stab at making the actual proper thing sooner or later, so if this rumour is true I wouldn't be at all surprised.

• Realistic Steak! 1

Lock n' Stock

I hope this ends up being good since Bethesda have dropped the ball for me recently. Fallout 4 felt too stripped-down for me and Fallout 76 was just an absolute disaster. That said, what we've seen so far of this looks generally good.

I'm also wondering if the Microsoft acquisition will have any positive impact on the game's quality/polish. 

Mister Pink
On 4/24/2022 at 5:20 PM, Jason said:

The bad ones are like that, the good ones aren't. That said, MMO monetisation is usually different from what you see in games like GTAO, Destiny, etc. A lot of GTAO players hate the idea of stuff like cosmetics locked behind a cash shop, where as MMO players are happy with that if it means no pay to skip aka pay to win.

I just have one main principle that ruins any fun for me. That is MMOs with the option to buy in-game currency. That to me undermines the whole game. I cannot for the life of me feel a shred of emotion that leans towards the feeling immersive gameplay when I know currency can be bought in games with real money. That's RDO, GTAO, Fallout 76 namely. All games I'd really love to love but can't for that reason. 

Ultimately, I would prefer something like a subscription or one-time fee so cosmetics are unlocked by gameplay through challenging tasks and teamwork with the odd discoverable. Everything in the game world is earned through gameplay. Nobody has an advantage through their debit or credit card. Anyone with rare, luxury, high-reward items has them due hours in the game and dedication. Rare armour/outfits worn like a badge of honour: I completed X difficult challenge at level 50, therefore I have this unique and very sought-after item - and you can't have have unless you play the game. Basically I want it like singleplayer except online with friends. And the only thing I can think of to keep the devs cash-happy with slap a subscription model on to it - or you pay money for new seasons to get the option to do challenges to unlock new items. But nobody can flat-out just buy currency.  I would easily pay €50 a year just to know I was in lobbies with others that never used their debit/credit card for in-game currency. 

Online = monetization. That's all it is for me. I'm no hippie socialist. I very much want developers and publishers to succeed and have successful business models, it's just that the current models don't foster an environment that allows me to feel immersed in the world. I suspect it's the same for a lot of people whether they are able to articulate that feeling it or not. They might just feel something is a bit off in online versions of their favourite games. The speed in which you earn currency in games like Fallout 76 and GTAO is painfully slow, IMO or comparatively to single player methods. And it's a constant reminder "hey... we got those Shark Cards." It feels predatory. It's like walking through a busy north African market as a tourist. 'Pestered' and "nagged" with a smile on their face is probably two ways to describe the feeling. 

For the moment, I'll stick to single player until someone comes along with the model I prefer which may be never. I suspect if Starfield Online exists it will be like Fallout 76. F76 actually has a nice world and some interesting quests and could really be fun so if they just give us the option to pay a sub and be on servers with other subbers, that would be nice. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

I just have one main principle that ruins any fun for me. That is MMOs with the option to buy in-game currency. That to me undermines the whole game. I cannot for the life of me feel a shred of emotion that leans towards the feeling immersive gameplay when I know currency can be bought in games with real money. That's RDO, GTAO, Fallout 76 namely. All games I'd really love to love but can't for that reason. 

Ultimately, I would prefer something like a subscription or one-time fee so cosmetics are unlocked by gameplay through challenging tasks and teamwork with the odd discoverable.

110% with you on that.

Lot of GTAO players are against things like subscriptions, premium content or cosmetics - the latter being the worst of the three options by far, but preferable for me over pay to win/skip type models like shark cards.  I can't get behind shark card models at all cause of the impact it has on the games progression, balancing and the type of DLC content it breeds. Much happier paying for good content be it directly or through a subscription, cause when it comes to online games now the word free is nothing more than a big fat lie.

• Realistic Steak! 1

New concept art (credit to redditor exo_soldier for compiling) 

Spoiler

5kyahafptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

lynq0bfptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

eb7grafptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

t9ztuafptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

dwryvafptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

41msocfptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

wkwrzcfptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

Spoiler

p2vovcfptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

• Realistic Steak! 1

JP0cYXG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Some guy named Hevy008 leaked some Starfield info and Schreier chimed in saying he couldn't necessarily back up all his info but the guy was who he said he was. His account and posts have since been deleted. There's some more info in this Reddit post too.

uJjt5sp.png

12etjwo.png

Sounds like his point about the engine was more from a developer usability stand point, not in terms of engine capabilities. Which is not that surprising, a lot of in-house engines have these sort of issues I believe, it's one of the reasons why engines like UE and Unity are so popular because they have a massive amount of work put into the ease of use side of it.

The tone of his other posts does feel like a "I didn't enjoy working here or on the game" type of vibe, so I'll take it as so-so for the most part. It's an open world (open space?) RPG though, they're always gonna be jack of all trades master of none in terms of mechanics but hopefully they do find a balance with the ship flight if that is indeed not great right now.

An overabundance of content in a Bethesda RPG is never really a bad thing either, as opposed to games structured more like an AC game, where content bloat hurts the game massively.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:30 PM, AkshayKumar said:

New concept art (credit to redditor exo_soldier for compiling) 

Hide contents

41msocfptvv81.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

This looks cozy. When I would have trouble sleeping I used to imagine I was drifting through space in a little starship with a similar view as this pic.

I hope there is a build mode like we had in FO4 and 76, but with more inspiration from what modders have done for FO4's build mode. I fee like Bethesda didn't do enough to improve that feature when they released 76, and in many ways taken steps back with the restrictions they put in place. I still made a ballin af camp, but it was a pain to build. 

But yeah I want to have a space I can build and decorate in. 

nachos

Bv6FlaS.gif

steamy

7 minutes ago, Tacymist said:

But yeah I want to have a space I can build and decorate in. 

From leaks I've seen I think we're able to decorate our ships?

Do wonder how your companions (crew?) work with that if it's true. Can I go all Firefly and have them all dotted about with their own decorated areas?

...oh lord that'd be 100 hours of playtime right there for me if so.