4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Starfield

Typhus

Space Cowboy
7 hours ago, Pingley said:

I mean, that was kinda obvious once Xbox acquired Bethesda/Zenimax. 

For a while I thought it might be given that it was obviously developed for PS5 too and if you look at The Outer Worlds that also released on other consoles not just PC/Xbox. Though that might have been just due to the publishing deal they had signed before the Microsoft acquisition.

Microsoft is reportedly trying to get the gamepass (and thus their games) to other consoles, but I can't see Sony allowing that lol. At most I can see a special gamepass containing just Microsoft exclusives being available on other platforms, but even so I doubt Sony would consider it.

4 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

I'm a real noob to the workings of the gaming industry tbf

Would it be fair to say Bethesda's games would be Xbox' biggest exclusives now even over Halo? (Or at least the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series would?) 

I'd say so, yes. Halo may be popular but I do personally think Fallout/TES as games are way bigger deal and way more people have played games in those franchises but never touched any Halo games, example, me. 

Edited by Pingley

Yea I think it'd be fair to say that Bethesda Game Studios, the studio behind Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield and not to be confused with Bethesda Softworks, the overall publisher, are Xbox/Microsoft's biggest 1st party studio right now, and as a result biggest exclusives.

Xbox's traditional exclusives lost a lot of their luster in the Xbox One generation, Halo and Gears were megaton franchises in the 360 days but the Xbox One being disappointing for years and Halo and Gears stuttering - which were their only real exclusives outside Forza - meant that they lost a lot of their megaton-ness. Outside of BGS I'd honestly say that Forza Horizon is their biggest first party franchise.

The news of Starfield not coming to PlayStation is surprising and not surprising at the same time, you'd have to assume a lot of work has went into the PlayStation versions only for them to be shelved, it's a lot of money to throwing away from both development costs and potential sales revenue, but it's a huge boon for the Xbox platform on both PC and Xbox, and for Games Pass, which is their golden goose.

• 4 weeks later...

Edited by Wayne Kerr

JP0cYXG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Set hundreds of years in our future, Starfield is a next generation role-playing game where you'll be who you want, go where you want, experience our stories and forge your own.

Doesn't that describe the idea for any RPG?

They literally could have just ended that Tweet at "Starfield is a next generation role-playing game".

But I guess they have to fluff it up some how. 😂

IPMBMBAP

Space Cowboy
26 minutes ago, KDA said:

They literally could have just ended that Tweet at "Starfield is a next generation role-playing game".

Some RPGs are more story-driven, i.e. they will have you play a pre-defined character like in the Witcher series. Bethesda RPGs aren't like that. I guess they wanted to emphasize that.

The game looks great from the little they have shown. I always wanted a space exploration RPG and I feel like Bethesda is right developer to do this kind of a game. Exploration is undoubtedly one of the strongest aspects of Bethesda rpgs.  It's still far away, so I kinda understand they didn't show any gameplay. 

Grichka Bogdanoff
38 minutes ago, KDA said:

Nowadays, having weapon numbers and random skills here and there is considered "rpg".

a Chuck Kojima post.

Would having a character named Role be considered a role playing game?

IPMBMBAP

Feel a bit blue balled after all that. Still none the wiser, just feels like MS wanted Starfield in their show to really hammer home that they own Bethesda now.

Mister Pink

Todd Howard: 

"We get into science, we get into religion. I really enjoy thinking about those big questions. I see them in other [forms of] entertainment, and I think we have a unique way of presenting it with a game like this, where maybe we don't have all the answers, but I think it's good to get people thinking."

Although Howard is being quite vague, I love when videogames ask big philosophical questions like these. In Deus Ex there was really a question over the ethics of augmentation or in Skyrim we had the dilemma of siding with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks. In Starfield were are like a last group of explorers in an outfit called Constellation. 

The game's structure is "kind of like Skyrim... where you're going to be who you want to be, and then there's different factions that you can join and really carve your own path" said Howard. 

It's kind of what we were expecting but I'm loving them confirming this. I want that Skyrim/Fallout style format where you are free to join different factions and going on your own path. 

Ashley Cheng:

Cheng said the studio now has a renewed vitality due to “Starfield.” “I love ‘Fallout,’” he said. “But after seven years of ‘Fallout,’ it’s a little nice to slip away to be working on something so new and fresh.”

This is nice to hear. He goes on to say.. 

“For me, ‘Starfield’ is the Han Solo simulator. Get in a ship, explore the galaxy, do fun stuff"

I wonder how its going to work. Would you say there are sections of galaxies open to explore and you fast travel across galaxies? But there are large maps or procedurallly generated sections to explore, perhaps? Or will it be all open and seamless? This is what I'm trying to figure out. I don't think it's possible for it to be seamless. 

What interests me more than the reveal trailer is the concept art. 

This first place reminds of of that retro-futurism style. Also love the idea of floating cities and it looks like glass dome covering. 

Screenshot-7118-1440x810.png

Screenshot-7117-1440x810.png

Screenshot-7116-1440x810.png

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
DarksunDaFirst
On 5/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, 0909090 said:

Microsoft is reportedly trying to get the gamepass (and thus their games) to other consoles, but I can't see Sony allowing that lol. At most I can see a special gamepass containing just Microsoft exclusives being available on other platforms, but even so I doubt Sony would consider it.

I read this awhile ago and tried to think of a reason for Sony to go for it, and sadly I cannot think of one that can’t be countered.

For gamers, especially BGS fans, that play on PlayStation - it would be cool because Now sucks.  And it would give access to games not normally on the PlayStation and have the outside chance to play Starfield.  

But why would Sony go for that?  They would see very little of a cut, and gamers playing games they wouldn’t be able to buy for the platform when inevitably they get removed from Gamepass and it would force players to buy the game for another platform (which would defeat the purpose since you wouldn’t be able to move save files, at least at

the present time).  On top of that, those Gamepass exclusive titles would still need then to port to PlayStation and at that point, why wouldn’t you just make the game for the platform?  

I honestly don’t see either Microsoft or Sony going for it.  It would be Pro-Consumer, and neither brand is Pro-Consumer (at least in the gaming space).

On 5/17/2021 at 4:43 AM, Jason said:

Yea I think it'd be fair to say that Bethesda Game Studios, the studio behind Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield and not to be confused with Bethesda Softworks, the overall publisher, are Xbox/Microsoft's biggest 1st party studio right now, and as a result biggest exclusives.

Bungie, 343, Mojang….they’re all bigger.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, DarksunDaFirst said:

Bungie, 343, Mojang….they’re all bigger.

Bungie hasn't been a part of Microsoft in nearly a decade.

343 (and the Coalition) have never came close to getting out the shadow of Bungie or Epic, nor have they came close to replicating their success. Rare is bigger than both in terms of importance at this point, Infinite may change that but honestly I doubt it, Halo lost it's luster as a multiplayer shooter, and it's hard for platform exclusives to compete with the multiplats.

Mojang's a tricky one because Minecraft is absolutely gigantic as we all know, but Mojang's output is absolutely shocking and everything non-Minecraft they've done has been a giant failure. They can't even ship moderate sized updates on time most of the time.

Bethesda Game Studios is likely the new most important because they have a huge highly anticipated single player RPG out next year, and TES VI out a few years later, aka a consistent schedule of undoubtedly huge games. I think the only real argument for another studio at the moment would be Playground Games, which is probably more true, due to the success of the Horizon games, FH5 out this year, and the new Fable in development.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Starfield Location Insights (Developer Commentaries)

New Atlantis

Neon

Akila

I can't wait for this game honestly. A hard sci-fi RPG is a dream come true for me.

2 hours ago, Zapper said:

I can't wait for this game honestly. A hard sci-fi RPG is a dream come true for me.

Absolutely this!

And wow, actual information. I love those descriptions of those places. I love the names and what and how they came to be, especially Neon. New Antlantis, I suppose is the new space version of New York, given it's a melting pot off all races etc "A true reflection of the future of our world."

I don't know, Starfield/Bethesda's take on genres they do really speaks to me. Their world building is phenomenal and I always think they are extremely immersive. Starfield is no exception. 

• Like 3

Shadowfennekin

A velociraptor wolf speaks to me! I'll consider that my fursona 🤣

It goes without saying but Greenberg again reiterated that Starfield is not coming to any PlayStation console. Same will happen for TESVI no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:50 PM, Zapper said:

It goes without saying but Greenberg again reiterated that Starfield is not coming to any PlayStation console. Same will happen for TESVI no doubt.

Exactly.

At least for those that don't want to (or can't) shell out for an Xbox can play on Game Pass/Xcloud with a controller. It's streaming but it's not bad, especially for an RGP. I tried playing Skyrim on my phone and was really impressed.  It will only only improve with time as well. 

I can imagine some die-hard fans without console or good PC wanting to play and opting to stream the game. The great thing is, that even if you do stream it and eventually get a the hardware, your save will be in the cloud you can seamlessly continue on. 

I think Xbox is the most accessible place for exclusive content to be. There was evidence that Sony was in talks to have exclusivity of Starfield before Microsoft stepped in. If that happened, at best you could expect it to stay on PS5 for $70 and then come to PC years after. At least at Xbox, it will be on PC and mobile devices, including a browser version for Apple devices and on Game Pass day one!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

At least at Xbox, it will be on PC and mobile devices, including a browser version for Apple devices and on Game Pass day one!

This is one of Xbox's huge advantages and once their all 20+ first studios start firing on full cylinders with quality titles their whole ecosystem will be hard to ignore.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 1 month later...

Tiny bit of new info and concept art... This is looking great. 

I really dont want to see info about this until I somehow play it or atleast watch a playthrough but I cant help myself! Yeah I like what I'm seeing, feels relatively grounded in tone in that there's only humans and no overly fantastical tech(?) yet being space it still feels exotic. No gameplay yet but in a way I dont want to spoil myself with that either.

No hint of aliens yet, guessing the climax of the story will have a first contact scenario but I like the 'hard scifi' route they've gone with so far. They notably talked about 'human threats',  as I saw on a reddit comment it kind of goes to show that no matter how far you travel, humans probably always will be our own biggest threat.

United Colonies vs Freestar Collective gives me Empire vs Stormcloaks vibes :D Hope they have some great factions in this game, they already revealed a couple more (House Va'arun sounds intruging) and then there's our main faction Constellation, I want even more!

Edited by Wayne Kerr
  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 1 month later...

Was hoping for a Little more content on Starfield, ..

there's a few bits of info..

Edited by Failed Again

22 hours ago, Failed Again said:

Was hoping for a Little more content on Starfield

I'll be happy to see concept art until a month or two from realise. To kind of parrot @Wayne Kerr's sentiments, I don't want this game spoiled for me. That's why I love the first episode video you posted. It speaks more about the abstract and philosophies of building a great BGS game than revealing too much. And that's enough for me. I think Bethesda are genuinely passionate about this project.

I'm delighted it's more grounded in reality and science, even if it's fiction. We have Fallout for whacky sci-fi and Elder Scrolls for magic and fantasy. Space exploration is foreign and fantastical enough without it going overboard OTT future sci-fi stuff.

Edited by Mister Pink

• 1 month later...

This video talks about a watch seen in the Starfield trailers and seems this guy has dug more info about this that could indicate this watch is the equivalent of Fallout's pip boy. 

Nice to see lore/discussion videos for Starfield already coming out, even if they are obviously still barebones-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kgRUIBsK5B0

(Posted the above as a link because when it's embedded it says 'this live event is no longer available' but you should be able to view the video if you select the link) 

Edited by Wayne Kerr

Im pretty sure the release will be a disaster, just like Fallout 76, but we will see. At least it's a singleplayer game, so no server sided BS. Starfield will have 7 years devolopment time, it's not very much for what the game actually is. If we can travel to different planets, im pretty sure we will only be able to see small parts of the planets, sort of like many small maps you can play on, maybe the size of FO4 Far Harbor, if even that, probably even smaller. Sure the story itself will continue even if you fly to other planets etc. but it will feel weird, having to fly to other planets, after like every 3-4 hours of gameplay or something.

Sure i will play the game, but im pretty sure it's just an overhyped game, like Cyberpunk 2077 was. My expectations are not very high for Starfield, i don't wanna be dissapointed that much again. They still use the old engine they always used what makes it modder friendly but sort of unstable and all. I mean we all know the spaghetti code Creation Engine they use.

Very mixed feelings so far about the game, it might be good or a disaster or something in between.

We know nearly nothing about the game and you've just criticized it for things you think may happen with no basis for it lmao.

Fallout 76 was a completely different style of project by a completely different team as well. Not only that but I've heard from many it's in a much, much better place now than it was when it launched. Not that it's relevant to Starfield, cause different team, different type of game... etc etc.