2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Starfield

Typhus

(Note: I tried searching for a pre-existing topic, but the search function isn't working. So I tried Google and found nothing. So, if a topic already exists, please feel free to close this one.)

With E3 fast approaching, I have heard a lot of buzz that Bathesda may finally unveil their long-rumoured game Starfield. With No Man's Sky failing due to the pathological lies of its creator, and Astroneer still not being released on the PS4, the market is wide open for a space-themed RPG.

Is this something you're looking forward to? And what form do you think the game will take? There have been a number of "leaks", from dubious sources, claiming this-and-that about the game, but thus far we know next to nothing. Not even its actual name, and whether or not Bathesda are indeed working on it.

But, as of writing this, there are only 10 days left until their panel at E3, and with them pre-emptively announcing Fallout 76, there is certainly an opening for a new and exciting project not connected to their existing franchises.

EDIT: 2018 E3 Trailer

Edited by Typhus
The trailer just dropped!

Mister Pink

You hit the nail on the head, the market is wide open for a space-themed RPG. For me, even playing Fallout I often wondered what Bethesda's take on a full-on future sci-fi would be like. I just think the sci-fi in Fallout is done so well, especially how the fuse it with humour. I could see them really succeeding with a space-themed RPG.

Also, I know Bethesda must feel pretty burned out with Elder Scrolls and Fallout. The said they don't want to become a company known for those 2 IP's. I totally get that. I think for the team to be developing something fresh and new will inspire them to be creative and that alone will be a propellant in delivering a good game. 

• Like 2

Cosmic Gypsy

After seeing Star Citizen and it's whole planet completely covered in an alien city, any space games gonna have to be pretty spectacular to hold my interest. Although i get this is for consoles as well.

• Like 1

It's got to the point that I'm not even sure if this actually exists even with all the leaks. Maybe this E3 will finally be the year I guess.

5 hours ago, Cosmic Gypsy said:

After seeing Star Citizen and it's whole planet completely covered in an alien city, any space games gonna have to be pretty spectacular to hold my interest.

To be honest, Starfield will be spectacular cause if the rumours are true it'll be playable this decade. Star Citizen's tech, so far, is all show and that's being kind. It runs like sh*t still on even super high end PC's.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much was shown, but at least the game has finally been confirmed.

With Mass Effect currently in life-threatening condition, I'll take any space themed single-player RPG I can get.

• Like 1

IPMBMBAP

I am a bit irritated to hear that it will be a next gen release. They have wasted so much time on Fallout, to the point where this generation of consoles has been a complete washout for Bathesda if you're not partial to bland post-apocalyptic shooters.

I'm certainly happy about the trailer, but they've announced the game before the consoles it will play on. And the only thing to tide us over until then? More f*cking Fallout.

Quinn_flower

i hope this could be the next mass effect cause bioware fk up

Edited by Quinn_flower

feckyerlife
On 6/11/2018 at 9:28 AM, Typhus said:

I am a bit irritated to hear that it will be a next gen release. They have wasted so much time on Fallout, to the point where this generation of consoles has been a complete washout for Bathesda if you're not partial to bland post-apocalyptic shooters.

I'm certainly happy about the trailer, but they've announced the game before the consoles it will play on. And the only thing to tide us over until then? More f*cking Fallout.

it was washed out of bethesda and rockstar if you think about it.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:28 AM, Typhus said:

Pretty sure they wasted way more time on Skyrim and it's infinite number of re-releases than they ever could on FO4 and according to the Noclip video, 76 was being developed along side FO4.

Re: ME being dead Bioware: "Mass Effect is certainly not dead"

Edited by Static
7Rj3AZw.png

On 6/11/2018 at 6:28 AM, Typhus said:

I am a bit irritated to hear that it will be a next gen release

Meanwhile I'm on PC wondering if we'll get the game at all.

• Like 1

IPMBMBAP

• 2 weeks later...

A YouTuber, who was at E3, claims he talked to a Bathesda employee, who claimed that Starfield would be "the biggest leap in gaming ever" - apparently using those precise words:

Now, assuming that is a true recounting of what that employee said, what could that tell us about this game? I am trying to think about what that could mean, but frankly I am unsure what "the biggest leap" would even be. Other games have already tried out procedurally generated planets with varying results, so if that's what they're referring to I fail to see how it would be anything that revolutionary.

• Like 1

I would guess it's to do with the procedural generation too, as the leaks have indicated that's a big part of the game. Procedural generation is one of those things that if it can be done right it will genuinely have a far reaching impact in games but it's a mad sized if.

• 1 month later...
Mister Pink

Yeah, that was really intriguing. Hard to guess what it is. If it's procedural generation then that might be interesting, particularly if we get the level of graphical detail that we see in a Fallout game. Space ex games/RPG's never both have realistic or semi-realistic graphics and the size and scope of a galaxy within a universe with the exception of Star Citizen. Mass Effect is the closest we've really had to having an RPG and multiple planets/environments to explore but without the space travel/flying and exploring. The other end of the spectrum is Elite Dangerous.. gargantuan map with no opportunity to really leave your spaceship, get out and explore. Maybe Starfield will be the "first" game to give us the sense of space exploration and travel with decent level of detail with explorable worlds and plenty of NPC's to talk with and meet across the galaxy. Really don't know how they will pull it off, if thats what they even are going for. 

OysterBarron

One part of me has a massive hardon with how they're describing this game. Im really hoping it doesn't turn out to be a flop.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

• 2 years later...

New Starfield details from Todd Howard - 

• Starfield is a singleplayer, no multiplayer aspects.
  • A focus on procedural generation during level design confirmed for Starfield and TES:VI
    • This is a tool for developers to create massive landmass and does not mean the land will be randomly generated in real time like No Man's Sky, meaning your game will look the exact same as everyone else. This is simply an engine tool to create larger worlds, so expect Starfield (planets?) to be much larger than Fallout 76's map, which is already four times bigger than Skyrim. YOUR ELDER SCROLLS/STARFIELD MAP WILL LOOK THE EXACT SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE MAP WILL BE RANDOMLY GENERATED.
  • Huge major overhaul to the Creation Engine - larger than the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion ("**when people see the results, hopefully they'd be as happy as we are.")
    • Rendering
    • Animation
    • Artificial Intelligence & Pathing
    • Procedural Generation
    • And more areas.
  • “It’s going to be a while” until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it yet. Todd said the same exact thing one year before the release of Fallout 4. 

• He doesn't want to reveal Starfield earlier and just release teasers until the eventual release like Cyberpunk.
  • NPCs will play a large role in future games, cities will be expansive and large compared to past games, etc.

• Will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside ES:VI.

• Bethesda will continue to support mod support in the future.

• Amount of developers are at least 4x - 5x larger than they were when they worked on Skyrim and Fallout 4. Starfield is going to be big.

• Bethesda Games Studio Dallas, Maryland and Montreal are working on Starfield.
    • Bethesda Games Austin is in charge of Fallout 76's post-development with the Brotherhood of Steel expansion update coming this December.

Full Interview Link (1hr.5min)

Original Reddit Post

Edited by Zapper
2 years for some new detail

Grichka Bogdanoff

>Creation Engine in 202X

>Procedural generation, after the massive success NMS, Spore etc. all had, except that it's not even really procedural generation

>Talking about how big it is, all about its size size size and size in a game set in space, who cares about content

>Letting Todd speak... like, ever

Yeah, but no thanks, this ain't it.

a Hideo Kojima post.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

Good news about the cities, would like them to feel exotic and magical the way Morrowind's cities like Vivec, Ald'ruhn etc feel. 

I wonder what the large role the NPCs are meant to play. Tbh I already like how NPCs are in Bethesda games more or less, I just hope they react to the players achievements as we grow in story, it was kinda funny how in Skyrim people were mostly apathetic towards you iirc despite you being their saviour

Would like this game to do well, a space themed Bethesda RPG is the dream and I guess I just like Bethesda's style tbh 

Maybe a noob question but I heard Microsoft acquired Bethesda or something like that. Does this mean future Bethesda games like Starfield won't be coming to PlayStation? 

• Like 1

JP0cYXG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Bear in mind this is Todd speaking. Now I'm not one of the people to call Todd a deliberate liar but it's undeniable that he is prone to embellishment. It's not a bad thing; I believe he's just really passionate about his video game(s). 

Starfield should be his magnum opus though. It's his own creation, fostered, raised and envisioned by himself. He's not merely designing an entry into Cain or Le Fay's franchises, he's designing his own IP. That grants him much more freedom than he had before as he's not living up to conventions set by other creators.

The Creation engine can be something utilised well if Bethesda had competent optimisation, playtesting and bugfixes. It's one of the most flexible engines out there in terms of modding. If BGS don't get it right this time, there's likely going to be an even greater boycott of this engine despite the constant crashing and bugs being a result of good ol' Bethesda incompetence rather than any underlying deeply rooted issues with the engine. The older Gamebryo engine wasn't as flawed as it is made out to be either. 

One thing that pleases me though is the fact that multiplayer won't be included. Bethesda have no clue how to create gripping and entertaining multiplayer modes. Both ESO and 76 feel like empty open world theme parks with the depth of an inflatable pool. Much of the best stuff in both games is locked behind paywalls which cripple the game's quality rather than add on to it like it's supposed to. 

I'm confident that procedural generation will be utilised effectively. Oblivion was marketed to have some procedural generation too but majority of the world space was crafted by hand in a classic Bethesda fashion. I'm expecting it to be similar this time around. 

19 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Maybe a noob question but I heard Microsoft acquired Bethesda or something like that. Does this mean future Bethesda games like Starfield won't be coming to PlayStation? 

Possibly. Morrowind was only released on PC and Xbox. MS and Bethesda have been bed buddies for a while now. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

One thing that pleases me though is the fact that multiplayer won't be included...

I'm happy about this too. Hopefully they can just focus on getting this right and stay out of multiplayer for some time. There has been no developer that has truly done multiplayer right for me, yet. Fallout 76 is interesting and GTA O is interesting but ruined by their freemium models. ESO was just weird. I'm dying for a multiplayer world I can get immersed in but so fat it hasn't happened yet. 

Just like an open-world cyberpunk game, Cyberpunk 2077 and Starfield are two games, I'm really craving. This are games I really wanted. Space-RPG with cities and hopefully a world/environments like Elder Scrolls and Fallout that really reward you for exploring. 

1 hour ago, Hideo Kojima said:

Talking about how big it is, all about its size size size and size in a game set in space, who cares about content

If you watch the video, he says the main advantage of using procedurally generated environments, and he specifically mentions nature and how computers are good at PGing nature that it allows the team to focus on content. I hear what you are saying but at this stage, the cards are close to his chest. Why not talk about size and expanse? It doesn't give anything away. Content will come later when they start marketing.  

1 hour ago, Utopianthumbs said:

It's quite possible and quite likely. Xbox ecosystem will allow easy enough access for anyone to play on mobile devices, tablets, PC and Xbox. There's a chance it could be timed exclusives but those YouTubers closer to Microsoft that are in the know and get leaks seem to be quite unanimous that it's unlikely they'll come to PS5. 

So far Phil Spencer hasn't denied it but is hinting at it. He said he doesn't have to release Elder Scrolls on any other platform other than the ones Xbox supports in order to make the deal work for them. Basically, he doesn't have to release in PS5 in order to make the acquisition profitable for them. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, Heisenberg_ said:

Bear in mind this is Todd speaking. Now I'm not one of the people to call Todd a deliberate liar but it's undeniable that he is prone to embellishment.

I don't know man, I mean I like Todd and his games but I certainly won't forget the '16 TIMES THE DETAIL' anytime soon.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Starfield though because firstly, it's a new IP without any previous expectations (for me at least) and a space RPG is right up my alley.

Link of the original leaked images 

Also the OG leaker suggested that the game is slated for 20217krGnLY.png

which is believable considering BGS is working on it for 5 years, they could formally reveal it in mid 2021 and release it later that year.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zapper said:

which is believable considering BGS is working on it for 5 years, they could formally reveal it in mid 2021 and release it later that year.

This would be ideal. 

On 11/3/2020 at 3:11 PM, Zapper said:

“It’s going to be a while” until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it yet. Todd said the same exact thing one year before the release of Fallout 4. 

Also this.

@ZapperThat guy you linked on Twitter made a video. So the leaks are true. Nice. Love the image of the guy  in the space gear. Love that outfit! 

Edited by Mister Pink

• 4 months later...
palmtreegoblin

Looks like we’ll finally be getting a reveal in June.

Guess it’s pretty likely that we’ll see this game Q4 as well.

I’m just excited that we’ll finally have something to actually talk about. 

• Like 3

Mister Pink
On 3/13/2021 at 6:34 PM, palmtreegoblin said:

Guess it’s pretty likely that we’ll see this game Q4 as well.

I hope so. But this Christmas will be looking packed on Game Pass if it does.. Flight Sim at the end of summer, then Halo: Infinite and it's rumoured Forza: Horizon 5 is coming out before Forza: Motorsport this autumn! Mad!

I'm just dying to finally see what Starfield is going to look like. It's a huge event. My hype is still hitting a ceiling because we basically no nothing of this game, only that it's made by people that brought us Skyrim and some more recent Fallout titles. Starfield could easily be a game I'll sink 200-300 hours into. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 1
  • YEE 2

• 1 month later...

Seems a Bethesda insider has given out some potential info about the game

Some potential images of the game ( apparently from an early 2018 build )

Spoiler

Some potential info about the game by the same person

Spoiler

edit: also it may not be on PS5

Edited by Wayne Kerr
  • Realistic Steak! 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:52 AM, Wayne Kerr said:

edit: also it may not be on PS5

I mean, that was kinda obvious once Xbox acquired Bethesda/Zenimax. 

6 hours ago, Pingley said:

I mean, that was kinda obvious once Xbox acquired Bethesda/Zenimax. 

I'm a real noob to the workings of the gaming industry tbf

Would it be fair to say Bethesda's games would be Xbox' biggest exclusives now even over Halo? (Or at least the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series would?)