Starfield (Bethesda Game Studios)

Typhus

Mister Pink

Because we have spaceship-building as well as outpost-building functions, I can see the need that mining resources is going to be. The gameplay loop will be to explore planets to acquire materials, level-up, build settlement, get more materials, upgrade ships cargo capacity so you can carry more materials etc etc. I'm happy with this loop outside of the story. I love "nest building" in games. I loved the housebuilding in Skyrim and really enjoyed settlement building in Fallout. I think building an outpost on your own planet is even more exciting. I love doing some side-missions, some story then doing stuff like building outposts and exploring. That's just nice time to f*ck around in the world, free-roaming, exploring but still working to a goal to build a better outpost or to level up. And to do that in space is beautiful. 

I'm going to look forward to seeing how creative people get with their outposts. Looking forward to seeing everyone's unique spaceships. No two screenshots from anyone's games will really be the same given the amount of planets, spaceship customization and character creation. It should be nice. 

I'm sure you can probably play this game and not explore a bunch of planets, and don't build outposts etc. It seems like the optional extra fun of things to do in space. And I love Bethesda's games because I get to build settlements and resources and materials mean something. I feel connected to the world. I feel like I'm living in it. It's not just a big backdrop. Their worlds are to be lived in, not just played through. 

FVEphZ2XoAETS9U?format=jpg&name=large

FVEpVpnWYAElph9?format=jpg&name=large

FVEpZK1XwAQqx-K?format=jpg&name=large

FVEpi3AXoAIuElu?format=jpg&name=large

FVFD3s7X0AUozXN?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
  • Best Bru 1

9 minutes ago, Punkd said:

i am just curious ... many games seem to release in the first half of 2023 or early 2023 ... what happened to holiday 2022? microsoft/xbox dont want to make money during the holiday season?

Cause everything keeps getting delayed. Starfield and a fair few other games were all aiming for 2022 when they first got dated.

I imagine the delays are a mix of new generation of consoles/new hardware, lingering impact from covid, Cyberpunk and BF2042's launch and probably a few other reasons. 

• Realistic Steak! 1

Mexicola9302
25 minutes ago, Punkd said:

it looked interesting, but not that "wow-effect" i expected (buy who am i to judge, its free on gamepass day one, very nice)

i am just curious ... many games seem to release in the first half of 2023 or early 2023 ... what happened to holiday 2022? microsoft/xbox dont want to make money during the holiday season? what big AAA titles are left for the christmas time?

I think this has to do with the Unreal Engine 5 being a thing now. Everybody wants to use that new shiny engine for their games.

Spoiler

Unreal Engine 5 Games List

Unreal Engine 5 Games List - Upcoming UE5 Titles

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

The sequel to Ninja Theory's dark fantasy action-adventure game is set in Iceland and sees the heroine make a return, after succeeding in her battle against her inner demons.

Fortnite

Unreal Engine 4 turned Fortnite into the battle royale phenomenon that it is today and, while Epic Games' flagship title is doing quite fine for itself, it will made the move to Unreal Engine 5 in mid-2022, taking advantage of its new suite of features.

ArcheAge II

The sequel to XLGAMES' popular MMORPG, ArcheAge II is currently in the early stages of development and will continue to treat freedom as one of its core design principles.

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate

Revealed at the end of May, Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate is the next mainline entry in the series, uses Unreal Engine 5, and has a cool new logo. That's all we know at the moment but, with a bit of luck, we'll hear more publisher Square Enix may share more over the coming months.

Dreamhouse: The Game

Dreamhouse: The Game takes you through the entire process of building a house, from setting its foundation, to adding the final decorative touches at the end. If you don't get things quite right, you can always destroy what you've built and start over, ask some friends for help in multiplayer, or challenge yourself even more in its VR mode.

eFootball PES 2022

Pro Evolution Soccer, now rebranded to eFootball PES, only received a seasonal update last year, breaking the cycle of yearly releases. This gave Konami more time on the game's next-gen 2022 version, which will use Unreal Engine 5.

Gears of War

The original Gears of War had what was arguably the quintessential Unreal Engine 3 look and the series has continued to be developed on Epic Games' popular engine. Developer The Coalition has confirmed that "multiple new projects in the coming years" will be developed using Unreal Engine 5.

Echoes of the End

Narrative-driven third-person action-adventure title Echoes of the End is the first upcoming Unreal Engine 5 game in publisher Prime Matter's portfolio. Developed by Icelandic studio Myrkur Games, it follows Ryn, an experienced fighter capable of manipulating and destroying matter, as she search to uncover her true purpose.

Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl

Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl sees players returning to the anomaly-ridden, mutant-filled Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and promises a non-linear story that sends you all across the whole 64 km² of its open world. Factions make a return and developer GSC Game World says its A-life 2.0 system "makes the game world feel alive as never before."

Black Myth: Wukong

Black Myth: Wukong already boasted impressive visuals while it was being developed using UE4 but, in 2021, developer Game Science announced that it was shifting to Unreal Engine 5. The title is a third-person action RPG based on Chinese folklore that mixes exploration with combat sequences against regular foes and impressive bosses.

Quantum Error

Quantum Error is an upcoming horror game with first-person shooter elements whose development has now shifted to Unreal Engine 5. In it, players take on the role of one Captain Jacob Thomas, who's sent on a rescue mission after the Monad Quantum Research Facility is attacked by an unknown entity.

New Bioshock Game

The upcoming Bioshock game remains a mystery, as no official details about it have been shared until this point. That being said, a series of job listings from developer Cloud Chamber have referenced both it and the Unreal Engine 5, making it very likely that it is being developed using the latest version of Epic Games' engine.

Unannounced Midnight Society Game

Midnight Society is an AAA studio co-founded by Robert Bowling, Herschel ‘Guy’ Beahm (a.k.a Dr. Disrespect), and Quinn DelHoyo that is currently working on an unannounced PVP multiplayer game using Unreal Engine 5.

Ashes of Creation

Ashes of Creation is one of the most ambitious upcoming MMORPGs and yet another game whose development will transition to Unreal Engine 5. Developer Intrepid Studios has already showcased a handful of locations across the game's world, giving players better sense of how the engine's technological improvements will help bring Verra to life.

Mortal Online 2

Mortal Online 2 is a first-person MMORPG that caters to a more hardcore audience, its open world being subjected to full PvP rules that see those who fail to come out on top losing all their hard-earned equipment. With more than 600 skills to master and a player-driven economy, the title will make the jump to Unreal Engine 5 when a stable-enough build becomes available.

Ill

Ill is a first-person horror game from developer Team Clout that channels quite a bit of Resident Evil and is now developed using UE5. Although you can't tell from its 45-second teaser, the concept art shared by the developer so far feature promisingly gory monster designs.

Layers of Fears

Bloober Team is working on an upcoming Layers of Fear game developed using UE5. The studio initially shared a teaser video before revealing during 2022's Summer Game Fest that the title is a "psychedelic horror chronicle".

Grasshopper Manufacture Games

After being acquired by NetEase Games, developer Grasshopper Manufacture currently has plans to release three games over the coming decade. In an interview with Automaton Media, via ResetEra, it has confirmed that it is currently in the pre-production stage, working in UE5.

New The Witcher Game

CD Projekt Red confirmed that the next entry in its The Witcher series will use Unreal Engine 5 when it announced it in March 2022. This was a bit of a surprising move, considering the studio developed its previous games using the proprietary REDEngine technology, but it's ultimately fitting for a game described as "a new saga."

New Firesprite Game

Firesprite is working on at least two new Unreal Engine 5 games. Job listings point at both a narrative-driven horror adventure title and a multiplayer action game as being in development.

New Tomb Raider Game

Developer Crystal Dynamics has confirmed that its next Tomb Raider game is in development and will use Unreal Engine 5 to "deliver the high-quality cinematic action-adventure experience that fans deserve."

Kingdom Hearts 4

Kingdom Hearts 4's debut trailer was made using UE 4 but a report from Famitsu (via VGC) suggests that the game's final version will run on Unreal Engine 5, benefitting from improved lighting and detail quality.

Hell Is Us

A third-person action-adventure from developer Rogue Factor, Hell Is Us blends exploration with combat against mysterious supernatural foes. Players must learn to defeat these enemies using specialized weapons while exploring the semi-open world that stretches across a country ravaged by civil war all by themselves.

Off The Grid

Off The Grid is a third-person shooter from developer Gunzilla Games that aims to infuse the battle royale formula with a hefty dose of narrative progression. Set in a dystopian future, its battles see 150 players facing each other in PvP while also being able to take on storyline-focused PvE missions as the match goes on, controlling how the game's story unfolds.

The Day Before

The Day Before is an open-world third-person shooter that caught the eye of many a gamer when it was initially revealed. Blending zombie-fueled PvE and PvP, the title's devleopment shifted to Unreal Engine 5 in 2022, although it did come at a cost of its release date being delayed until the following year.

Stormgate

Stormgate is developer Frost Giant Studios' debut title and a free-to-play real-time strategy game that aims to stay true to the core principles of the genre while making it more approachable and social. The title will feature a campaign that's playable alone or in co-op as well as multiplayer modes in which you can compete against other players. The developer aims to target both a more casual audience as well as esports enthusiasts, and has also confirmed that an editor will also be made available, letting players put together their own missions and minigames.

Fort Solis

Fort Solis is an upcoming single-player third-person thriller that unfolds over the length of a single night on Mars. The game follows an engineer named Jack Leary who responds to what seems to be a routine alarm. The lack of staff on the base he discovers is, however, only the first sign that things are about to spiral out of control.

Games Built on Undisclosed Version of Unreal Engine

• ARK II
  • Avowed
  • Everwild
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Redfall
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • Nightingale
  • New Mass Effect Game
  • Aliens: Dark Descent

And many many more it seems.

Edited by Mexicola9302

CPU: i7-4930K @ 4,2 GHZ Level 3 Cache: 12MB (6 Cores)
GPU: 2x SLI Asus ROG Strix GTX1070-O8G-Gaming 8GB DDR5 V-RAM (MSI SLI HB Bridge)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHZ (Quad Channel)
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme 4
Harddrive: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (Rapid Mode Activated)
Powersupply: be quiet! POWER ZONE 850W

ITSUMANGAMING

There may be mortgages in this game

JP0cYXG.png

Mister Pink

Just thinking about the first time I played Skyrim and saw a mammoth fighting a giant or something to that effect. Either way, it was AI vs AI. And I love that. It's kind of random moments like that in the world that's can be thrilling to see. 

On some of the planets with non-human life, just imagine the possibilities. 

FVIG3YYWYAEcLYZ?format=jpg&name=large

12 minutes ago, AkshayKumar said:

There may be mortgages in this game

I actually love that. Especially if you can play a more villainous role and repay the mortage faster by ripping other people off and double-cross others, stealing etc. I just like the idea of starting off kind of in the red, and there being more things in the world to give me incentives to get more resources and cash. And I hope with their moral system that quick cash can be earned by being a bad person. I like the idea of there being temptations to do the wrong thing in exchange for a quick payout. 

Edit: Just seen this on reddit now, too. 

mdk09tssk8591.png?width=1920&format=png&

I love these backstories. What kind of perks if any would you get for this (having parents and sending 10% of your income home) or is it more for just roleplaying? 

Edited by Mister Pink

I am so happy settlement building is returning, it's what drew me to BGS games when FO4 was being showcased. But being able to design and customize my own ship on top of that? This is huge for me.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 2

R2z2IPX.png

Ship customisation on the level they're doing is something I for sure didn't expect, that feature alone excites me a lot.

I did watch of the preview again today and paused on a few of the ship creation scenes when it showed the various different ship parts and stuff, there's some tight pilot like bridges like you may say on a fighter or something and some wider, more open multi-seat bridges like you'd see on an explorer ship. Your ship also has a crew limit, we saw ships with a crew max of 2 up to 10 in the footage they showed.

71cGdqq.png7f8LKEK.png9Ldk4GL.png2Fc2V0V.pngYJRtOYd.png

I've really wanted a space game where you build your own ship and crew for a looooooooooooong time. It's the feature I didn't expect here, I expected a few premade ship options and a few companions could maybe come along for the ride but that was it, so this whole part of the game is probably one I'm going to spend a ton of time with.

Edit: 

I'm used to both voiced and unvoiced protags and there are pros and cons to either option. If this means more dialogue options then I'm absolutely not against it. First person dialogue is a bit odd, though. Easily fixable through mods ofc.

• Realistic Steak! 2

TheSantader25

First xbox exclusive that has actually gotten me interested in a long time. I really hope this game is good. You can't trust trailers and devs these days but I'm interested. Let's see how it goes. If this game is good, it's time for me to actually build a gaming PC.

I'm not gonna watch any more trailers and news about this until launch as I think it's one of the habits that I have to abandon to enjoy these games the same way I did when I was younger.

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Realistic Steak! 2

Mister Pink
44 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've really wanted a space game where you build your own ship and crew for a looooooooooooong time. It's the feature I didn't expect here, I expected a few premade ship options and a few companions could maybe come along for the ride but that was it, so this whole part of the game is probably one I'm going to spend a ton of time with.

Me too, and this feature makes this game a next level progression for me in terms of Bethesda doing something new. In Fallout 4 we got settlement building and in Starfield we have shipbuilding, vehicle control/flying in a BGS RPG.  

If shipbuilding requires a lot of resources then I think shipbuilding is an excellent reward to exploring planets and gaining resources. I love when the world runs on it's own eco-system of levelling up in crafting skills, acquiring materials, and building. I love when they all tie-in nicely together. Hopefully space-ex is very rewarding, not just for resources but beautiful vistas, strange alien creatures, rare minerals that can be traded for currency, rare materials for ship upgrades. 

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm used to both voiced and unvoiced protags and there are pros and cons to either option. If this means more dialogue options then I'm absolutely not against it. First person dialogue is a bit odd, though. Easily fixable through mods ofc.

I'm kind of glad the character is unvoiced. I find I can roleplay a bit better. I find silent protagonists OK in games, especially if you want to inject a bit more of yourself in the role and you have somewhat a little control of the story.  For me the talking is my internal monologue. What am I thinking in my head is basically what my character is experiencing so so there's more of a synergy between me and the protagonist. But that's me. I did actually enjoy the talking protag in Fallout 4, but I miss it being silent. I fill the gaps in for my protag. 

Bethesda really going for older-school RPG vibes. So, I hope they pull it off.  

Did anyone spot the Mars Rover easter egg? 

FVI-K4TWYAAe9A9?format=jpg&name=large

nasa-space-rover-opportunity-1.jpg?quali

EDIT: 

4 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I'm not gonna watch any more trailers and news about this until launch as I think it's one of the habits that I have to abandon to enjoy these games the same way I did when I was younger.

I agree. I did it mostly for Cyberpunk and it worked a treat. Also did it for RDR2. 

After this post reveal hype I'm going to stop looking at analysis and anything that will just contribute to this not being extremely fresh for me going into it. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

TheSantader25

@Mister Pink

Yeah I'm gonna abandon following news for all games except R* lol. Cause I know I just won't be able to stay away if they announce GTA VI. Thankfully though they are better than most companies at keeping things secret while showcasing the game before release.

• Realistic Steak! 1

AndyGanteks

I hope they include black holes in some way as special events or later as DLC, need those Interstellar vibes in this one. Possibly some easter eggs related to Armageddon, i'm sure Todd will not disappoint.

As well as the weather system and random disasters(meteors/etc), some of these eventually made it to NMS, we will see for how long they plan to extend Starfield post-release(unless its included initially).

Last but not least, planetary exploration vehicles are a must even if only a few, but i do wonder how far the modding for this will go.

Will modders group somewhere, pick on a random planet to mod, add buildings/cities/realistic vehicles? How large could those 1000 planets be anyway?

Who knows, but as buggy as we all know the game will be on release, they sure got the hype and day dreaming rolling.

• Realistic Steak! 2

The Time Ranger
6 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

Because we have spaceship-building as well as outpost-building functions, I can see the need that mining resources is going to be. The gameplay loop will be to explore planets to acquire materials, level-up, build settlement, get more materials, upgrade ships cargo capacity so you can carry more materials etc etc. I'm happy with this loop outside of the story. I love "nest building" in games. I loved the housebuilding in Skyrim and really enjoyed settlement building in Fallout. I think building an outpost on your own planet is even more exciting. I love doing some side-missions, some story then doing stuff like building outposts and exploring. That's just nice time to f*ck around in the world, free-roaming, exploring but still working to a goal to build a better outpost or to level up. And to do that in space is beautiful. 

I'm going to look forward to seeing how creative people get with their outposts. Looking forward to seeing everyone's unique spaceships. No two screenshots from anyone's games will really be the same given the amount of planets, spaceship customization and character creation. It should be nice. 

"Nest Building" is a good term, it's one of my favorite things in Bethesda titles, taking a break from the main plot to carve out a little haven for my character, a place where after a hard days questing and looting, there's somewhere you can retreat to, adds an immersion factor. Looking forward to potentially downloading player settlement/base/outpost mods in the future, some of the ones I downloaded in Fallout 4 are amazing and it's exciting to thing what the community will come up with.

• Realistic Steak! 2

Mister Pink
11 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

"Nest Building" is a good term, it's one of my favorite things in Bethesda titles, taking a break from the main plot to carve out a little haven for my character, a place where after a hard days questing and looting, there's somewhere you can retreat to, adds an immersion factor. Looking forward to potentially downloading player settlement/base/outpost mods in the future, some of the ones I downloaded in Fallout 4 are amazing and it's exciting to thing what the community will come up with.

Glad someone else enjoys that element too. Yes, taking a break from the plot to kind of live in the world.  Really going to look forward to seeing screenshots of people's outposts and the places they decided to inhabit and learning why. 

1 hour ago, AndyGanteks said:

I hope they include black holes in some way as special events or later as DLC, need those Interstellar vibes in this one. Possibly some easter eggs related to Armageddon, i'm sure Todd will not disappoint.

As well as the weather system and random disasters(meteors/etc), some of these eventually made it to NMS, we will see for how long they plan to extend Starfield post-release(unless its included initially).

Yes! I'd love to see some space-horror DLC with something like the Scourge from Mass Effect Andromeda, that mysterious dark-energy cloud formation. It would be fun to go on some mission to find a rogue spaceship, with nods to Apocalypse Now (although that's been done before).  The captain of the ship has gone AWOL. He's turned into some kind of rogue cult leader that believes the Scourge cloud or black hole has is an interdimensional window into the afterlife. Your mission is to rescue to crew that have been brainwashed by months, if not years of the captain's propaganda. You must stop them on their suicide mission to enter the black hole. To complicate matters, a known pirate spaceship is approaching your target as well. Can you convince the pirates to join you in the fight to recuse the suicidal crew or will you have to fight the pirates quickly before rescuing the crew? Once aboard the ship, can you use Speech to convince the brainwashed staff that it's a bad idea to suicide into the black hole or do they convince you, that's what they want. Do you aggressively try stop them or let it happen? 

1 hour ago, AndyGanteks said:

Last but not least, planetary exploration vehicles are a must even if only a few,

Yes, I hope we have a selection of space-buggys that we can ride off the ship. Perhaps when you upgrade your ship you can upgrade your space-buggy. Larger space-buddys can give you more crew to mine with you or for protection. I would also love small one or two man spaceships just for exploring in - something like an X-Wing from Star Wars. 

Another thing I wish for is being able to set your flight to a destination and it's on auto-pilot or you have a pilot flying it for you. Meanwhile you are able to walk around in your spaceship, sleep, craft, upgrade weapons (depending on what type of upgrades on your ship you have) as it flies to your destination

Yea especially given that I have Games Pass I think I may avoid all gameplay going forward, probably keep an eye out for any official trailers they put out maybe but I don't need any more info or footage on the game at all. Quite happy going in with the info I have from the showcase, gonna have lots of exploring and discovering to do in the game once it finally launches.

Looking forward to exploring the factions as well, the little tease we got on them wasn't really enough to get a good grasp of their finer details. Who I join up will also ofc depend on the type of character I play in my first playthrough, an explorer, merc, pirate? I do really love the idea of having an explorer type ship with a large bridge home to multiple characters, so perhaps the Constellation group will be the one I side with. Looking forward to figuring that out in-game.

• Realistic Steak! 1

I wanna be a drug dealer pirate within the Crimson Fleet and smuggle Aurora outside of Neon.

Edited by DEADWOODZ
  • KEKW 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Mexicola9302

I don't think there will be a vehicle to drive on planets, no Bethesda game ever had a vehicle. Flying a ship in space is something completly different engine wise. Horses in Skyrim were already very wonky with the physics of the creation engine, modders tried to add a carriage for horses but it was like impossible to do that. Modders also tried to add a bike to Fallout, that also didn't work well.

Maybe something that hovers above the ground would work, or something similar to Power Armors, but no vehicles with actual wheels on it. I just don't see this happening, but maybe im completly wrong, but i don't think so.

GPU: 2x SLI Asus ROG Strix GTX1070-O8G-Gaming 8GB DDR5 V-RAM (MSI SLI HB Bridge)

What modders could or couldn't do in previous games is completely irrelevant, this is Bethesda with full access to the engine in a brand new game, if they wanna do it they can. I'll be pretty surprised if there's not some sort of ground vehicles given we can explore entire planets my self. I would imagine part of building a base is then to go out and explore and find resource deposits possibly. It is odd they never showed any vehicles in the showcase, though.

Mexicola9302

Maybe we only got this robot following us that was shown in the gameplay reveal.

2 minutes ago, Mexicola9302 said:

Maybe we only got this robot following us that was shown in the gameplay reveal.

Fairly sure he's one of the companions you can find and recruit for your crew.

Mexicola9302

Maybe we only got the jetpack to travel faster, and with low gravity we could also jump very far, i mean travelling on planets would still be fast.

Edited by Mexicola9302

Looks great! Can't wait to get this on PC.

But 100 systems with 1000 planets sounds too ambitious, I think there will be some hero locations but mostly generated wasteland. I do love Bethesda story telling, the ship customization looks great. Hopefully it won't get postponed again. 

3 hours ago, AndyGanteks said:

How large could those 1000 planets be anyway?

As a star citizen developer said " it would be boring to spend 3 hours just to go from space station to a full planetside landing" they scale it down if I remember correctly it does take some time to reach planet side (I'll guess around 4-6 minutes) here's a pic to compare size

spacer.png

Currently it may take 8 irl minutes to travel to another planet (if you have a small ship) if you have a bigger ship, bigger drive so 3 minutes (plan your trip accordingly 😁

But of course Bethesda may do something different 😬 just an ex. 

I like how No man's sky only takes the most I've seen reaching another planet is about 1 1/2 irl minutes and a couple of seconds to enter and land.

Edited by deadx23
  • Like 1

OysterBarron

Using star citizen as a basis I find ground vehicles pretty pointless compared to the shear size of planets. The only real effective use of vehicles there is having a ship that can act as a drop ship for the portable mining vehicle and this entails obviously having a ship that can fit said vehicle inside of witch we've seen nothing yet to hint at that with starfield.

Most of the time you will use your ship to get to locations as its quicker and less boring.

A good comparison would be a trip to Scotland in terms of scale and you've the choice between a push bike or a car to get there from london with no stops inbetween.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

No Man's Sky with it's like 20 devs does an alright job with putting stuff to do and find on planets these days. It took them a while to get there of course but BGS have way more resources at their disposal.

They will no doubt be using procedural generation for almost all of them for not only the terrain but also points of interest (resources, bases, loot, etc) but yea I think as I said before as long as there's a good amount of handcrafted places to explore, having a load of proc gen planets isn't a bad thing. It's a game where exploration is a big theme after all, plus the whole base building and resource farming aspects. It's all about making sure they get the balance though, if all exploration is just going from procedurally generated point of interest to point of interest on every single planet then that'd suck but I do expect there will be handcrafted stuff in there.

Basically my hope (and expectation) is that the 99% of those 1000+ planets are extra places to explore if you want to, to find resources, new life, places for your base, whatever, but there will still be some meaty handcrafted places to explore.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

SpaceBeagle

so, in 30 mins 'Xbox Games Showcase Extended' should start - maybe more of Starfield will be shown 🤷‍♂️

Mexicola9302
18 minutes ago, SpaceBeagle said:

so, in 30 mins 'Xbox Games Showcase Extended' should start - maybe more of Starfield will be shown 🤷‍♂️

Maybe but this time i won't watch the live stream, that is for sure. I seen enough gameplay of "kids games" for a lifetime in the last stream, i won't do this to myself again. :D 

Edited by Mexicola9302

Todd confirming a few things in an IGN interview, I'ma just write up bits that peak my interest.

• More hand crafted content in this game than they've done before in any one game. ~200k voice lines.
  • They (obviously) are using procedural generation for the 1000s of planets.
  • Exploring those planets is very optional, as in previous BGS games if you wanna just do story you can absolutely do that. Basically goes on to say that space has a lot of planets, not all of them are interesting, but they are there if you wanna go land on one, explore it, build an outpost, etc.
  • Ship combat inspired by space sims. Stuff like managing your power balancing between your weapons, power, etc. Bit Star Trek-y from what I gather "all power to shields" and things like that.
  • Dogfighting in space is intentionally slower pace than other twitchy space combat games. Compared the pace of it to Mechwarrior.
  • You can disable other ships, dock with them, board them, steal the ship if you want.
  • Space stations you can visit
  • You can engage in smuggling, piracy.
  • Four main cities, New Atlantis is the biggest they've ever built in a game. 
  • Around 20 character backgrounds, some dialogue options that you'll get from what you choose.
  • Game has that Skyrim/Fallout style "step out" moment at the start, and probably a few more similar moments throughout the game due the nature of it.
  • The Constellation faction is kinda NASA meets Indiana Jones meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and they're who you join as you start the main story.
  • Main quest looks to be ending up to be a little (20%?) longer than their usual main quest lines. ~30-40hours.
  • They plan on DLC. Think the game will be a dream for their modding community due to it's nature.
  • No seamless planet landings. They felt it was a lot of work to spend on something that probably isn't that important for players long term - I suspected this based on footage and by all accounts it seems the reasons are technical as much as they design, but I reckon modders will look to add this in pretty quickly lol.
  • Also lastly, TES VI is in pre-production, Fallout 5 after that.

AndyGanteks

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-new-details-todd-howard-interview

Starfield Doesn’t Let You Fly Seamlessly from Space to Planet: ‘That’s Really Just Not that Important’

Todd Howard has said that Starfield won't allow you to fly seamlessly from space to its 1,000 explorable planets, saying the feature is "really just not that important to the player" to justify the engineering work involved.

"People have asked, ‘Can you fly the ship straight down to the planet?’ No. We decided early in the project that the on-surface is one reality, and then when you’re in space it’s another reality."

So they are indeed 2 different worlds, one world is the outer space in each system with X planets, the other is each planet itself. Also raises a few important questions.

Will flying your ship around the planet be possible? Definitely not, a cutscene at best.

Will you really be able to land anywhere on the planet? Probably not, a few pre determined locations, each land locked somehow (gravity, oxygen, etc) and the 95% of the planet will not be accessible.

Will there be planetary vehicles? Does not seem likely now.

Will planets be NMS-sized? Another one to worry, they either have pre-made ship landing spots or are not so big.

Modding might get a few of these changed in a very interesting way but still hmm, how much is to be seen.

• Like 1

They did say you can explore the entire planet, so I assume we can sort of land anywhere. Can't imagine they're going around picking a handful of pre-determined landing spots on every planet. Procedural generation makes fully explorable planets a piece of piss though, so if they were to not do full exploration it'd be... weird to me.

I imagine they didn't want to have to figure the part inbetween space and being parked from a player control PoV. NMS does it but landing/take off in NMS is extremely basic with small ships. Landing is one of those things that is cool as hell early on but loses it's luster quickly so I'm not that fussed about it. Realistic landing (especially at ports and stuff) can be a pain in the arse too, as seen in Star Citizen.

I'd be surprised if this meant no planetary vehicles as we have no way to quickly traverse planets but yea no confirmation on that at all still so maybe I'll be wrong on that. Would be a disappointment now though if they aren't in.

• Like 1

Looking real good so far. 

Only one concern: gunplay looked really mediocre. I know it is Bethesda, but come on.. improve your combat already. 

• Like 2

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.