Starfield (Bethesda Game Studios)

Typhus

Margot Robbed Me

The game is getting absolutely hammered with negative reviews now, thanks to the paid mods Creations.

😂 35% Mostly Negative

Space Cowboy

So... the latest update added a (proper) Tracker Alliance faction to the game, one mission and loads of characters in the HQ, all of them have a lot of dialogue options, there's new gear etc. At the first glance, it seems like a pretty good update, and the first mission only solidified those feelings for me. It was really good. However, to my surprise, that's where the update abruptly ends, and the only thing left for you to do are the repetitive radiant bounty quests. As it turns out, the continuation of this update is available through paid creations, and it costs quite a bit... And from what I have seen, it's not only terrible value for your money (that has always been the case for the paid creations tbh), the free mission, which has been added to the vanilla game, is just about better in every aspect.

The game essentially baits you with a premise of what looks to be a decent quest line, and then the rest of it is locked behind a paywall. That really left a bad taste in my mouth. I am not necessarily against paid creations (they can be easily ignored and we have free mods at our disposal, which are pretty much just always better), but putting unfinished content into the game and then locking more of it behind a paywall sets a worrying precedent for the future of the game. Especially considering how little value the paid continuation offers, it's ridiculous.

Yep. It's a really, really poor choice from BGS. It'd be one thing if they made a whole mini expansion or something and charged $10 for it, it's another to split that expansion into individual 15 minute missions and charge $7 each for them. Not that they should've charged for Trackers Alliance missions anyway, the game has needed a more fleshed out TA story since day 1.

Space Cowboy

There's a new Todd Howard interview I came across. Admittedly, I didn't listen to it in its entirety (I just know that the future of both Fallout and Elder Scrolls will be very vaguely referenced at best, so I skipped that), I just checked the Starfield part, but did say some interesting things:

• Todd is aware that for a lot of people the Starfield exploration didn't scratch that Bethesda itch - Shattered Space expansion brings back more of that traditional Bethesda exploration though.
  • The expansion should be at around the scale of Far Harbour for Fallout 4
  • Bethesda wants to do annual expansions for as long as possible, and they already have another one after Shattered Space planned. This was most surprising for me, in a good way.

I can't wait to know about the other expansion. There's a lot of what they can do, and honestly I have no idea what I would want lol. I guess I'll have a better idea after seeing Shattered Space. But I would definitely love to see more of the exploration being concentrated in one large area in the future, too. Starfield lacks such areas now.

He does also touch on the price of creation content, saying they're looking at adjusting the pricing, and that they hear the talk around how it looks like they're cutting up a factions content and charging for it individually. Good to hear them acknowledge that, and in general the interview was solid from what I watched, he asks some good questions that fans would want asked.

I'm all for yearly story expansions, and I think it's mentioned in the interview that in hindsight they ended DLC support for Skyrim and Fallout 4 too soon. Somewhat agree on this when I think about it too, they have the players and the interest to do more w/ their games post-launch than they traditionally do. Not against 3-4 years worth of support w/ premium expansions, for Starfield or future games.

I somewhat never had too much of a problem w/ exploration in Starfield, but with Shattered Space being one planet and I'd assume a lot of handcrafted content, POI's, and adding more depth to quests. I'd really love to see more questlines similar to 'Entangled' too. 

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Starfield has unique stuff to find, debatable if it has enough, but the issue IMO is the exploration was too menu driven. It never felt like YOU discovered something, it felt like the menus led you to it.

If they ever do a sequel (and we're talking 2040 here probably unless they change their structure, lol) they need to make the game completely seamless. We should be jumping to systems in a completely seamless manner and then actively scanning locations using diagetic interfaces. There's the map table thing in some habs, we should be able to get up and walk over it and use it like an actual table, rather than it just opening up the menus.

It's largely that which is the biggest difference between Starfield and TES/FO for me. In those games you discover stuff by your self, in Starfield the game discovers it for you.

Don't get me wrong there's other issues on top of that, copy and paste proc gen bases vs randomised tilesets and things like that, but yea, it's the one main weakness for the Creation Engine right now for me, the lack of seamless gameplay. You can live w/ it in FO and TES but in Starfield it actively hurts the game.

Red Velvet

I f*cking love Roman's Taxi. It's going to be my first rover mod when we get land vehicles ❤️

Starfield2024-06-1823-58-55.thumb.png.ff12503524211febe498d6c025119d5f.png

There's some promising stuff starting to drop. Fair amount of outfits/spacesuits have been releasing since launch by a handful of creators, lot of very cyberpunky stuff, but given how diverse Starfield's locations are I think they some of them actually look pretty nice, it's the usual overly lewd stuff that will look out of place.

I did see this Neon overhaul too which looks really nice, it raises the roof, adds a load of scenes, removes the ceiling/roof from the "indoor" section and it just all round nicer IMO. Bit finnicky with how interior cells work from what I've read, so parkouring about can be iffy, but promising stuff at what is still a very early stage of the CK. There's also a mod which paves Akila's roads/paths which I actually think looks nice too, makes it look more sci-fi, and if something like that got some more tweaks I think it could be a really nice way to reinvent Akila. In general I'm hopeful for the city overhaul mods like Skyrim/FO4 got, I think there's a lot of potential for some stuff with the cities in the game.

There's a sh*t ton of Star Wars mods lol, lot of modders it seems jumping on the SW overhaul hype.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.