3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Tigereyesxx

Repetitive Strain Injury

Tigereyesxx

I have developed a very sore elbow from playing The Division on PS4 , it gets to the point where it jams and clicks when I flex it, pain is on back of the elbow...any advice other than giving up playing?...

Sanches

See a doctor maybe?

livejoker

I have my left hand cramp up from time to time due to using a computer mouse too much as well as gaming with a controller. I take a day or two off and the issue is fixed. Nothing as bizarre as your elbow, though. Could it be from the position you're in while playing? As Sanches said a doctor - or at least a medical forum would be much better help.

Neptune Homme

Top priority is rest, I'm afraid. The golden rule is if you know what it is that's causing you pain, stop for a wee while and wait for it to ease. Some people aren't so lucky because their aches and pains can be nominal by comparison and their range of activities/work may be so broad it can be tricky to identify what it is what's actually causing you discomfort. Unfortunately, you're going to have to put that controller down and look after your injury. Gentle exercise, anti-inflammatory aids and a hot bath may help to ease it.

I thought I'd throw this in early, because asking for medical advice online is a casting call for people to act like drongos. In this case, they'll either tell you you have wrist cancer or that you should start masturbating with your other hand.

Posted (edited)

You should masturbate with your other hand for a while. It will go away on it's own if you let your arm rest for a day or two.

I'm sorry had to say it

Edited by fashion

Vanzant

Do you do repetitive manual labor at work? That can add stress to your arm if you're overdoing it at work and then adding more to it at home. Tennis Elbow is possibly what you may be having. It's best to rest it up for a while.

BlackScout
Posted (edited)

A friend of mine got into some serious trouble because of repetitive strain, to the point she reached some random ass condition in which her brain started to act like: "Nope, I am not sending input" and she could barely move her hand or apply any strength... Legit scary.
Now I have no idea what her condition was, totally forgot what it was called in my language so I can't even think of it in English.

Edited by BlackScout
long ass sentence

Banana
On 5/24/2018 at 4:13 PM, Tigereyesxx said:

I have developed a very sore elbow from playing The Division on PS4 , it gets to the point where it jams and clicks when I flex it, pain is on back of the elbow...any advice other than giving up playing?...

Take breaks every 15-30 minutes and stretch.  

The Coconut Kid

I think I've gotten this from the checking to see when the forums were back up over the last few days.

1 hour ago, Vanzant said:

Do you do repetitive manual labor at work? That can add stress to your arm if you're overdoing it at work and then adding more to it at home. Tennis Elbow is possibly what you may be having. It's best to rest it up for a while.

This is a good shout. I've worked as a hod carrier for the past ten years or so and when I've had a few weeks without work and then gone back on sites, the tops of my forearms where my elbows bend are absolutely f*cked. Someone suggested a foam roller. That might help.

Tigereyesxx
On 5/24/2018 at 10:01 PM, 1972 said:

You should masturbate with your other hand for a while. It will go away on it's own if you let your arm rest for a day or two.

Hide contents

I'm sorry had to say it

Yeah very funny, think of something more original next time and I might actually laugh. The reason I put this on here is because its a gaming forum, so it may be more common among our community....

Tigereyesxx

Found a solution for anyone in my position, if you are on console, you can remap buttons in settings menu, this avoids using the buttons continuosly that were causing the strain....hope this helps...

Constant K

f*cked up my wrist playing farcry5. This is despite having wireless mouse and keyboard. Someone please enlighten me about the ideal position for gaming from the couch?

sivispacem

Not playing on a sofa with a keyboard and mouse would be a start. Ergonomic office chairs look f*cking wierd for a reason.

Constant K

Sitting in front of a television in a f*cking chair looks ridiculous.

sivispacem

Where the f*ck is your living room that you've got to care about how ridiculous you look gaming in it?

Tigereyesxx
19 hours ago, Constant K said:

f*cked up my wrist playing farcry5. This is despite having wireless mouse and keyboard. Someone please enlighten me about the ideal position for gaming from the couch?

I am in a similar position to yourself, playing from a sofa or sitting on the edge of my bed ( I have 2 consoles) I suppose all the you tube streamers you see are sitting at purpose made desks and chairs with all the pro gear, but we all can’t have a designated gaming room/ area in our house for playing...

Darth Yokel

You need to give up playing for a while. A video game is not worth losing your elbow health over.

I had this in my left knee due to heavy barbell squats. I treated it on time so luckily I didn't need anything other than the standard treatment. That was rest with the affected leg in an elevated position. Then there are ice packs and compression. There are also some gels that are used to treat strains. And still it took a few months for it to go away completely. But knees are tricky because you can't not use them every time you need to go somewhere. An elbow is probably easier to deal with. I also use knee wraps when I'm squatting now. Maybe you should look into elbow wraps.

Tigereyesxx
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2018 at 6:20 AM, Darth Yokel said:

You need to give up playing for a while. A video game is not worth losing your elbow health over.

I had this in my left knee due to heavy barbell squats. I treated it on time so luckily I didn't need anything other than the standard treatment. That was rest with the affected leg in an elevated position. Then there are ice packs and compression. There are also some gels that are used to treat strains. And still it took a few months for it to go away completely. But knees are tricky because you can't not use them every time you need to go somewhere. An elbow is probably easier to deal with. I also use knee wraps when I'm squatting now. Maybe you should look into elbow wraps.

Edited by Tigereyesxx
I compressed a disk doing squats, so can’t recommend it...

AiraCobra
Posted (edited)

I have nerve damage in my back and feet and often time get cramps and tightness which regular painkillers don't touch.

So twice a month I see a massage therapist who helps with deep tissues massages to help loosen up the muscles and it works great but I don't know if you want to drop $60 just for your hands/elbow though.

Some places do charge quite a bit the lady I see does it out of her home and since I've been going to her for 6 plus year she only charges me $40 for 90 minutes but I'd pay even more because it helps that much.

Edited by AiraCobra

AiraCobra
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tigereyesxx said:

I am in a similar position to yourself, playing from a sofa or sitting on the edge of my bed ( I have 2 consoles) I suppose all the you tube streamers you see are sitting at purpose made desks and chairs with all the pro gear, but we all can’t have a designated gaming room/ area in our house for playing...

You don't need to have one either those "Gamers" have to look legit to impress the kiddies who watch and donate to them so just ignore their setup.

I have one of those Racing Chairs or "Pro Chairs" as they call them and they are actually quite nice and the price was worth it.

I was injuries quite badly on the job back in 2015 to where I needed three back surgeries as well as hip and knee replacements due to shattered hips and knees.

I went though several regular computer office chairs and although comfortable they caused me pain if I sat in it for too long as they don't have a lot of padding but one day while at Gamestop they were selling a small amount of Racing Chairs and I sat in one and found it quite comfortable.

Unlike Computer Office Chairs the seat itself is flat and not curved meaning you'll be sitting straight up with your legs even with no hump under your knees and then the padding itself on the back are set in specific potions to provide support for your spine and some chairs including the one I have has a built in massage in the lower back part which is the perfect position for me.

It also reclines back and has a pull out leg rest as well

If you play games quite often then I would recommend dropping $200 on one of those chairs and if you're from the U.S and you want I can give you the link to the chair I use.

88f28f906fe1fa486edae94bb977f33b.png

df1533d6b8b338f1bdcce444c398d813.png

Edited by AiraCobra