2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Fun facts about the GTA series!

1. Liberty City Originally Wasn't Inspired in New York: Liberty City in GTA 3 Beta Wasn't Completely Based in New York, Some Parts were from Chicaco, Another from New York and etc ....... Because of this, Liberty City in GTA 3 / Advance / LCS is So Different from New York
2. a Curious Bug: in Fort Carson, in GTA San Andreas, there is a Curious Bug, in which a Beagle Appears (Yes !, an Airplane!) Near one of the Houses, and when CJ Arrives Nearby it Appears and Explodes

latest?cb=20111230182116

3.This Here I Found Out Alone, In Which in the Territories of Ballas they sometimes get together and give a "Give me High Five" with Both Hands, I don't know if it was a Mod or if it is from the Game

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gui7814 said:

1. Liberty City Originally Wasn't Inspired in New York: Liberty City in GTA 3 Beta Wasn't Completely Based in New York, Some Parts were from Chicaco, Another from New York and etc ....... Because of this, Liberty City in GTA 3 / Advance / LCS is So Different from New York

If I remember the cities that Rockstar Games used to make Liberty City in the 3D Universe included :

- New York City

- New Jersey

- Boston

- Philadelphia

- Chicago

- Baltimore

- Detroit

Edited by MrBreak16

Maybe, but let's remember that 3D Era Liberty City is actually Rockstar's version of New York City.

Yeah, maybe it doesn't really resemble New York City (it does, though), but in 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games Liberty City is New York City, and that's it.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
4 hours ago, Americana said:

Maybe, but let's remember that 3D Era Liberty City is actually Rockstar's version of New York City.

Yeah, maybe it doesn't really resemble New York City (it does, though), but in 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games Liberty City is New York City, and that's it.

I agree with this.

I think the intention behind the 3D era Liberty City was for it to be a celebration (if you could call it that) of East Coast rustbelt cities, but NYC is the clear inspiration despite the other mash ups. I always thought that's what it was back in 2001.

On a semi related noted it's interesting that although R* made Liberty City in GTA IV look more like real life NYC regarding landmarks and such if you look at the Liberty City map from GTA 1 it resembles NYC's grid like pattern even more than GTA IV does and certainly GTA III. 

GTA Liberty City Map

• Like 3

Fun Fact: The GTA Series sold a lot of copies, like over 10 million copies. Kinda crazy..

Ahmedmfroezspeed

in GTA LCS

on the psp version, Toni's eyebrows are Tall

so tall that they're almost sticked together -he kinda looks like Tommy in this one-

Spoiler

toni_psp.JPG

on the PS2 version, they're a bit shorter, and somehow a little thinner -he kinda looks like III's Toni-

Spoiler

toni_ps2.JPG

on

the mobile version, his skin looks a bit more brighter and his eyebrows are a bit more fatter -there you go,that's better-

Spoiler

toni_mobile.JPG

Edited by Ahmedmfroezspeed
  • Like 3
Ahmedmfroezspeed

here's another fact for ya

Toni Cipriani, Johnny Klebitz, and Luis Lopez are the only GTA protagonists

in the series whom their voice actors didn't win an Oscar

Toni Voice Actor is Danny Mastrogiorgio, Johnny's Voice actor is Scott Hill, Luis's Voice Actor is Mario D'Leon

and all these 3 didn't even get a nomination

hell, even Dorian Missick -the guy who voiced Vic Vance in VCS- won 3 Oscars

Ray Liotta had 9 wins and 11 nominations, Young Maylay had 1 win, Michael Hollick had 1 win, and both

Ned Luke and Shawn Fanteno had a nomination, and Steven Ogg won an Oscar

all of these actors had a win or a nomination

but not poor Danny Mastrogiorgio, Scott Hill, and Mario D'Leon

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
11 hours ago, Ahmedmfroezspeed said:

here's another fact for ya

Toni Cipriani, Johnny Klebitz, and Luis Lopez are the only GTA protagonists

in the series whom their voice actors didn't win an Oscar

Toni Voice Actor is Danny Mastrogiorgio, Johnny's Voice actor is Scott Hill, Luis's Voice Actor is Mario D'Leon

and all these 3 didn't even get a nomination

hell, even Dorian Missick -the guy who voiced Vic Vance in VCS- won 3 Oscars

Ray Liotta had 9 wins and 11 nominations, Young Maylay had 1 win, Michael Hollick had 1 win, and both

Ned Luke and Shawn Fanteno had a nomination, and Steven Ogg won an Oscar

all of these actors had a win or a nomination

but not poor Danny Mastrogiorgio, Scott Hill, and Mario D'Leon

I think you're confusing gaming awards and other acting awards with Oscars. Oscars are movie awards (the official name is the Academy Awards, Oscars is the nickname) and none of these people have even been nominated for one, not even Ray Liotta (he's been in some movies that won or were nominated for Oscars for other things, but he hasn't been nominated himself).

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Algonquin Assassin
On 4/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, OmarMohammed said:

Tommy Vercetti is the only protagonist that didn't say "f*ck" 

I'm genuinely curious, but I wonder how many instances of not just the word "f*ck" is in each GTA, but swearing in general. It would have to be a three way battle between San Andreas, GTA IV and GTA V surely? It feels like every second or third piece of dialogue in those games someone's swearing or saying something meant to piss off someone.:lol:

I remember when Maccer (or maybe it was Kent Paul? can't remember) said "c*nt" in San Andreas and it kind of surprised me. I guess it wasn't out of character for a Brit to say it as it is for us Aussies, but it's something at the time I never really heard in American media whether it was video games, movies, tv etc. 

It is interesting how far the language has come though. GTA III barely had any swearing and the worst thing Tommy said was "sh*t". Now the protagonists are prone to basically say anything regardless of how offensive it is.

• Like 3
MyNameIsNotImportantBro
5 minutes ago, SonOfLiberty said:

I'm genuinely curious, but I wonder how many instances of not just the word "f*ck" is in each GTA, but swearing in general. It would have to be a three way battle between San Andreas, GTA IV and GTA V surely? It feels like every second or third piece of dialogue in those games someone's swearing or saying something meant to piss off someone.:lol:

Tommy only say 'prick' all the time, But they do that to make the series more interesting if you ask me.  

• Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8

I don't know about a definitive swear count comparison but there's a few videos like this on youtube, they're amusing at least

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Algonquin Assassin
1 minute ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I don't know about a definitive swear count comparison but there's a few videos like this on youtube, they're amusing at least

lol that's gold.

In the first 10 seconds of the GTA IV one there was about 30 "f*cks". :lol:

• Like 2
Ahmedmfroezspeed
5 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I think you're confusing gaming awards and other acting awards with Oscars

i already did

because that stupid-ass IMDB didn't differentiate between the oscar award and the gaming award

• Like 1

I don’t really know if this is a fun fact or not, but after looking at the deeply at GTA IV’s map and then looking at New York City on Google Earth, I was able to find out the exact layout in real life :

SPcpkz2.jpg

I found it surprising how much Brooklyn and Queens where scaled down and how little area they used for the Bronx

4 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Lmao, I remember these videos, one time me and my friends at school where playing these videos full volume in the classroom will the teacher wasn’t here and everyone was laughing their ass off

Edited by MrBreak16
  • Like 3
  • KEKW 1
billiejoearmstrong8
13 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

I don’t really know if this is a fun fact or not, but after looking at the deeply at GTA IV’s map and then looking at New York City on Google Earth, I was able to find out the exact layout in real life :

I found it surprising how much Brooklyn and Queens where scaled down and how little area they used for the Bronx

Lmao, I remember these videos, one time me and my friends at school where playing these videos full volume in the classroom will the teacher wasn’t here and everyone was laughing their ass off

I'm like obsessed with the geography of both the real world and GTA lol. To the point I know all the different areas of GTA IV (and their layout) and the real life areas each is based on. With this knowledge I can go on google maps and see just how accurately they arranged the different areas compared to the real New York. It's really quite impressive, especially Algonquin since that was the one they concentrated on the most and represented the most areas from, if you look at the map of Manhattan knowing which areas represent which you can totally recognise the Algonquin map in it, and if you go to street view it's cool to see how well they designed/reflected each area. The other boroughs are pretty good too but they just included fewer of the different areas so there's lots of extra ones in between the GTA IV represented ones. In Alderney there are certain areas that partially relate to the real life geography of New Jersey but it's much more of a mishmash overall.

I get why they'd scale up Manhattan, there's just so many more recognisable locations there. I think it's still impressive that the other boroughs are included with as much detail as they are, usually media involving New York is all about Manhattan so it's cool to see the others explored (minus Staten Island of course).

And that's classic lol

• Like 2
9 hours ago, OmarMohammed said:

Tommy Vercetti is the only protagonist that didn't say "f*ck" 

False, Claude never said "f*ck" either ;)

I don't think any of the main characters in GTA3 and VC say "f*ck". R* didn't push that boundary until San Andreas (along with using the word "nigga").

Although, I think one of the homeless peds says "f*ck" in GTA3, but it's very hard to hear due to the poor audio quality of the voice recordings and the thick Scottish accent.

• Like 1
Ahmedmfroezspeed
3 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

did you get caught ?

2 minutes ago, thehambone said:

False, Claude never said "f*ck" either ;)

I don't think any of the main characters in GTA3 and VC say "f*ck". R* didn't push that boundary until San Andreas (along with using the word "nigga").

Although, I think one of the homeless peds says "f*ck" in GTA3, but it's very hard to hear due to the poor audio quality of the voice recordings and the thick Scottish accent.

he kinda does it, but he doesn't say it

he raises a middle finger to drivers, and the middle finger is like "f*ck you"

same for Toni and Vic, but both of them do it and say it...

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
7 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

SPcpkz2.jpg

As I said before GTA 1's Liberty City map looks much more like NYC. It's an interesting evolution.

In game you'd never know GTA 1's Liberty City supposed to be based on NYC because it's hard to distinguish anything due to the top down view. GTA III's Liberty City map looks nothing like NYC and only vaguely from an aesthetic point looks like NYC and GTA IV's map looks NYC-ish when you look at Algonquin, but Broker, Dukes and Bohan really don't look like Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx atleast compared to this map mostly due to the bodies of water that separate GTA IV's boroughs and the triangle shape of Brokers and Dukes. However in game GTA IV's NYC's influence is strong and obvious. 

EDIT: There's a Long Beach in NYC? :O

I thought the only Long Beach was in California lol. 

• Like 2

I don't know, the shape is very similar, but what shocked me the most back in the day was how many streets there are in New York City compared to Liberty City....

• Like 2

GTA IV's brownish color filters are nowhere as powered as those in the PS2 versions of Vice City and San Andreas (mostly yellowish/orangish here). They tend to be more powered during sunrises and sunsets, and some time before sunset in some weathers (only in the "Sunny" weather to be more specific), but probably not more than in Vice City either.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
6 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

but Broker, Dukes and Bohan really don't look like Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx atleast compared to this map mostly due to the bodies of water that separate GTA IV's boroughs and the triangle shape of Brokers and Dukes. However in game GTA IV's NYC's influence is strong and obvious. 

It's true as far as the shape of the map but once you look at where the different areas are located it has quite a lot of similarities. It's far from exactly the same and there's lots of additional areas in between them irl but if you look where Hove Beach/Brighton Beach is, where Schottler/Bed Stuy & Bushwick is, where Firefly Island/Coney Island is, where Outlook Park/Prospect Park is etc (same with areas in all boroughs although Algonquin is by far the most complete/accurate) it becomes more recognisable. 

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin

-If you drive the Mr Tasty ice truck in GTA IV in reverse it will play any of the jingles in reverse too which is both fascinating and creepy at the same time.:ph34r:

-I don't know how much of a "fact" this is, but it's still a cool observation nonetheless. In GTA V Franklin is associated with green (the colour of money and weed:D), Michael blue (probably as a representation of his chilled out "retirement") and Trevor orange (to represent his pent up rage and volatile nature). This is why with their phones I keep them with green, blue and orange backgrounds. I don't know if R* meant anything by this, but it's something I've noticed and it makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

• Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, SonOfLiberty said:

-If you drive the Mr Tasty ice truck in GTA IV in reverse it will play any of the jingles in reverse too which is both fascinating and creepy at the same time.:ph34r:

Additionally if you drive faster it'll play faster and if you drive slower it'll play slower (whether going forwards or reversing)

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Additionally if you drive faster it'll play faster and if you drive slower it'll play slower (whether going forwards or reversing)

Isn't it also true that you can activate a cheat code by calling ZIT while one of the jingles is playing?

On 4/21/2020 at 3:14 PM, OmarMohammed said:

Tommy only say 'prick' all the time, But they do that to make the series more interesting if you ask me.  

Of course he does, he's constantly surrounded by pricks. :p

23 minutes ago, DJToni said:

Isn't it also true that you can activate a cheat code by calling ZIT while one of the jingles is playing?

The health cheat gets activated from the Soviet Connection jingle IIRC. Pretty neat easter egg.

• Like 3

green also has to do with Franklin being a greenhorn to the heist crew game.

It was also interesting to observe (and also outright stated by Dan Houser in an interview before) that Mike, Frank and Trevor are written to be essentially literal representations of Freud's structural model of the psyche, with Franklin playing ego, Mike playing super-ego and Trevor playing id. 

• Like 3