Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,242 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Rafae

Take-Two CEO thinks lootboxes are an appropriate game mechanic

Rafae

Imagine thinking everyone plays this game just for the sole purpose of making money lmao how dense do you have to be to even come up with such an assumption

It's the immersive world and everything you do in it that makes it worthwhile to play, hell half the fun is just doing all the things to get the money but money is never the sole objective or shouldn't be at least. It's the world first and foremost that keeps me playing. There's no other sandbox like this.

Le biatch

Imagine thinking everyone plays this game just for the sole purpose of making money lmao how dense do you have to be to even come up with such an assumption

It's the immersive world and everything you do in it that makes it worthwhile to play, hell half the fun is just doing all the things to get the money but money is never the sole objective or shouldn't be at least. It's the world first and foremost that keeps me playing. There's no other sandbox like this.

Oh please Rafae..you've already told everyone that you've been grinding the sh*t out of biker missions to get over $20 million so you can't say your doing it for the hell of it. Cash rules everything in this bitch and that's the way it is.

HamwithCheese

You have no point. One minute you're saying shark cards are cheating, calling off the cops is cheating, then another minute you're saying you see no difference in buying cards or playing the game. Now you're advocating people should cheat and glitch but, yet you think cheating and glitching is what got us here in the first place.

You have no argument.

Rafae

Oh please Rafae..you've already told everyone that you've been grinding the sh*t out of biker missions to get over $20 million so you can't say your doing it for the hell of it. Cash rules everything in this bitch and that's the way it is.

Really? Who says I can't? You?

I actually resupplied instead of buying supplies this whole week just because I wanted to actually play the game and make pure profits from what I'm selling. Of course I care about the money, why wouldn't I be with the time I'm investing? But to say that's the sole reason I'm playing this game is a bunch of gibberish, the money is simply a byproduct of my enjoyment with the game. Sure I don't like the sales all too much either but I feel like I'm actually selling stuff to make a profit and not just mindlessly grinding my thumbs away. This game never became that way for me and the moment it does is the moment I'll put it down. I make sure it doesn't become that way for me even though it easily could.

SherifWayne

Everyone needs to quit their bitching. Take Two saying they aren't opposed to lootboxes doesn't automatically mean they are going to be present in RDR2. Think about GTA Online, its the biggest cash cow R* has ever created and yet there isn't a single lootbox in the game, but we all complain about "microtransactions". The only microtransaction I can think of in GTAO is the 2.99 shark card. We've had ongoing support for this game for 5 years now and most of us have never bought a shark card at any point. Newsflash people: The grind is the game. There are more ways to earn money in GTA Online than I can count, just because you can't buy every single thing from every single update doesn't mean R* is evil or greedy, they are a business. Take it from me, I have put 1500+ hours into online and never bought a shark card, it was after the doomsday update when I did a money exploit and bought everything that I realized it ruined the game. I played for 3 days after buying everything and haven't touched it since. Rockstar and Take Two are not one in the same, Rockstar knows what they are doing.

Voodoo-Hendrix
Posted (edited)

Everyone needs to quit their bitching. Take Two saying they aren't opposed to lootboxes doesn't automatically mean they are going to be present in RDR2.

You're right, it's improbable that R* would add lootboxes in RDR2, but what about GTA VI? GTAO 2? An hypothetical Midnight Club, Bully, Manhunt, Rockstar Tennis?

Also, Zelnick saying that lootboxes aren't gambling in the current climate of hate against such mechanics it's kind of like if the CEO of Marlboro said that cigarrettes aren't addictive.

Think about GTA Online, its the biggest cash cow R* has ever created and yet there isn't a single lootbox in the game, but we all complain about "microtransactions". The only microtransaction I can think of in GTAO is the 2.99 shark card.

It's not like Take Two didn't considered to add lootboxes to GTAO before, I mean, Bunker Research is the closest they have gone to lootboxes and look how badly received they were by the playerbase, hence why R* didn't used it again with things like Bombs for Smugglers Run aircraft and the new MKII weapons from Doomsday Heist.

Also, a $2.99 Shark Card barely has any buying power, most new properties and vehicles costs between the $9.99-$19.99 range and even the most expensive one at $99 can't buy you all the things from an update.

We've had ongoing support for this game for 5 years now and most of us have never bought a shark card at any point.

It's not like R* has been updating the game for 5 years out of their love and passion for the game and its players, nope, it's just because even when most players either don't buy Shark Cards or buy them once in a while, there's a tiny percentage of players that buy them in masse, the so called "whales".

Newsflash people: The grind is the game. There are more ways to earn money in GTA Online than I can count, just because you can't buy every single thing from every single update doesn't mean R* is evil or greedy, they are a business.

Yeah, we have many ways to make money in the game and yet people only use Bunkers, MC Businesses, I/E, Pacific Standard and the odd Adversary Mode that will get forgotten when its double cash bonus ends.

Not everyone wants to buy literally everything (which by itself it's totally fine, this is a game about buying things after all), but it seems like if Take Two doesn't want us to get anything ingame without shelling more money that we already spent on the game itself.

Also, just because you're a business it doesn't mean that you should go after profit at all costs, even if said costs its your own playerbase and the artistic integrity of the product itself. Basically, you can do business and earn money without f*cking everyone.

Take it from me, I have put 1500+ hours into online and never bought a shark card, it was after the doomsday update when I did a money exploit and bought everything that I realized it ruined the game. I played for 3 days after buying everything and haven't touched it since. Rockstar and Take Two are not one in the same, Rockstar knows what they are doing.

I have spent more than 100 days of playtime on GTAO and I'm pretty sure that a good percent of that playtime has been spent of either grinding to be able to get by, evading the toxic playerbase that R* helped to foster and dealing with ingame bullsh*t instead or just playing the game and having fun, as a game should be.

I also did duped once and I realized that without the grind, the game is shallow and outright boring, unless griefing other players is your thing.

Rockstar Games is owned by Take Two Interactive, so technically, they're one at the same, just like DICE/EA.

Edited by Voodoo-Hendrix

Giantsgiants
Posted (edited)

Hmm, I wonder how that happened. Couldn't have been because of the artificial inflation of GTAO's economy could it?

Then can we agree that it was possible that everyone that modded, duped, and cheated at the beginning when online debuted was the cause of these crazy inflations that slowly started as time went by?

Or could it be possible that it was actually R* themselves that did this and they deliberately made it possible for some to have billions just to make these inflations possible? I just feel like they didn't just make prices insanely high for no reason.

Being able to mod, dupe, or cheat in an supposed "mmo" game at launch is the game developers fault. Whose fault was it rockstar or the players that some people could change the tuneable that controls the amount bounties are worth and allowed hundreds of people to get billions? Whose to blame, rockstar or the players for them making a bugged mission that payed you $25,000 for less than 30 seconds of work in the launch of the game? Is it rockstars fault or the players fault that we could get to end game within the first week the game was out? Some players were already rank 120 and had millions of $ before the first week ended. Why is it still possible to mod, dupe, and cheat in a game that is nearing 5 years old?

The prices are high for a reason, they wanna sell there cash cards. They put them out knowing dumb players would buy them. Nobody asked rockstar to add "micro-transactions". Its like what came first? The chicken or the egg. What came first? Rockstar adding "micro-transactions" or players currently buying them? Its rockstar since it wasn't possible to buy them before gta online. The prices of stuff keeps getting higher because they want all of the consumers money not just some of it. Coming from take2 ceo who says those who don't buy "micro-transactions" are basically "freeloaders" besides us buying the game, some bought it multiple times.

You also raise another good point in your last sentence.

More and more game developers are seeing those who don't buy their microtransactions as freeloaders. Like hello? We already had to pay a good $60 to play your game in the first place. We already paid you for your services in developing and producing the game. Don't keep looking at us like we're leeches. :rol:

Edited by Giantsgiants

HamwithCheese
Posted (edited)

Rockstar knows what they are doing.

When you say that the game is boring WITHOUT the grind, pretty much says they don't know how to make a game. So you're kinda right with that statement.

Edited by HamwithCheese

B7R

Your not wrong Sherif but there's some things I need to point out.

Are MTX & Lootboxes the same thing? At the moment I'm inclined to say yes as either way you are paying real money to obtain virtual currency or cosmetics. Maybe they have different meanings but the point still stands you are paying real money to obtain them either way. It's been confirmed RDR 2 will have MTX (well MAY) but still they've seen how successful it's been for GTAOnline so what's to say it won't happen with RDR 2 and future R* titles?

There's more than the $2.99 shark card but I don't know if you are saying the only MTX in GTAOnline is Shark cards or the $2.99 one but it goes all the way up to the Megladeon Shark card which gives $8 million in game GTA Dollars and costs $99 / $100 depending where you are.

Your not wrong on ongoing support and "most" people not buying a shark card I'll give you a point for realising that.

There are ways to earn money in the game yes but to earn money you need to have the right funds in your account to even think about getting anywhere. You can't have loans in GTAOnline so the money needs to come from somewhere?

Heists - Cost money to set up (tho I think the first is free can't remember) For heists you won't want to have any f*ck ups getting in the way or you reduce your earnings from the heist.

Hanger, Bunker, CEO Cargo Warehouse, CEO Special Vehicle Wharehouse, Biker clubhouses (including Weed farms, forged documents business etc) Again they all take money to start up, you can't just go onto the property website and buy it below the advertised price. A newbie isn't going to be able to start any of these from the get go which leaves them with

Heists, Doing jobs, Double money events, free-roam events or helping people run their CEO or biker business.

Grinding those jobs for crap pay is pretty depressing especially when the prices of vehicles & weapons and what not are so inflated in GTAOnline it isn't funny. I don't think a newbie is going to find those fun for very long and will quickly get turned off or if they want to risk it, buy a shark card or 2.

No one is asking for everything from the start, again you miss that point. People have been asking for a balanced and justified income system for a long time now. Jobs should've always been paying $10000 or more instead of $9000 or below.

I've put countless hours into GTAOnline as well but it doesn't mean I still can't see how grindy & unbalanced the earnings are for a lot of things.

"Rockstar know what they're doing" - Sure they do, getting NPC characters to harass players to buy the CEO Garage, facility, hanger, bunker etc. Some poor guy on here yesterday mentioned he's got less than $70,000 or something around that in the bank and is getting calls from NPC's telling him "Buy this, you should buy that". It's not a one off thing where they call you about it once and you never hear from them about it again. Every time you load GTAOnline back up and if you don't own such and such you'll be getting the same calls from all the NPC's going over their spill again that you should buy the hanger, CEO garage, Vehicle warehouse etc. It's just wrong but I assume you'll come back and say it's just a friendly reminder when it isn't.

The game is focused on spending and wanting players to own "everything". The above about the NPC's calling you to buy such and such should've really given people on here a clue about it. No one is point a gun to anyone's head either saying you HAVE TO OWN THIS but still I don't think players are taking good to the constant calls that they should buy stuff.

It's even worse you can't mute the calls in GTAOnline and when they call you, you have no choice but to answer the call (or the game does it for you after the first 2-3 rings). This can be pretty annoying during gun battles and heated moments. If you hang up the call quickly then they message you. Lester is one character for example that does it and I'm sure the CEO assistant and Agent 14 do the same.

KWF1981
Posted (edited)

Everyone needs to quit their bitching. Take Two saying they aren't opposed to lootboxes doesn't automatically mean they are going to be present in RDR2. Think about GTA Online, its the biggest cash cow R* has ever created and yet there isn't a single lootbox in the game, but we all complain about "microtransactions". The only microtransaction I can think of in GTAO is the 2.99 shark card. We've had ongoing support for this game for 5 years now and most of us have never bought a shark card at any point. Newsflash people: The grind is the game. There are more ways to earn money in GTA Online than I can count, just because you can't buy every single thing from every single update doesn't mean R* is evil or greedy, they are a business. Take it from me, I have put 1500+ hours into online and never bought a shark card, it was after the doomsday update when I did a money exploit and bought everything that I realized it ruined the game. I played for 3 days after buying everything and haven't touched it since. Rockstar and Take Two are not one in the same, Rockstar knows what they are doing.

Indeed, they might not add any too RDR2, and you're spot on that this game does make them so much money that a 'ain't broke, don't fix it' logic comes to mind, initially.

But when you, I, or anyone says 'might' - It might mean they do look to get more money from those that blindly follow trends. Especially considering we've already had a thread where R*/T2, whoever, said those paying through these microtransactions have been undermonitised. And they even referred to the players that actually don't by cards but play the content as freeloaders too. (Ninja'd on this last one, lol).

Combine all that, makes for a very worrying future for me. Naturally, not just R* hoping on this bandwagon, but it's the one game developer I care enough about to hope that it doesn't cave to the mounting pressure of these things becoming the norm.

Like you, I never once paid extra, and have far too many hours under my belt since 2013, having seen the way the game changed and the other things I highlighted from here, just so many potentials, and some are definitely going to push me, and many I believe, away. It remains to be seen as to the long term knock on effects, they might be gold and players soak it all up. But if by having discussions here about this sh*t can help gaming last longer for me, it's well worth it. Plus nice to learn opposing views too.

Well see. But knowing they have an avenue that they consider to be fair game to squeeze more money, and potentially compromise the game I enjoy. Not too keen, you know, lol.

Edited by KWF1981

vipprimo

Basically how this reads is, "we don't ever plan to do something so inanely stupid as introduce loot boxes, but we don't want to burn bridges with other companies or burn the bridge that we could say, open a casino in GTA.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Hey look everybody, it's a walking cliche.

In response to this nonsense...

1 - We know lootboxes aren't automatically in RDR2. But there's nothing wrong with being concerned about the possibility.

2 - You think a "2.99 shark card" is the only microtransaction in this game? What about all the OTHER shark cards? It's all just a big money suck regardless of increment size. If you are really quibbling over the PRICE (hurr durr, $100 isn't micro!) then you need to get your life together because truly you are a lost cause right now.

3 - "The grind is the game" and that is f*cking depressing. Especially when I start an air freight mission that could be both fun and reasonably profitable, but instead takes 15 minutes of repetitively shooting down infinite-spawn Buzzards for a pathetic 10K. If the game wasn't so grindy we'd all be having more fun playing.

4 - Most people don't buy shark cards (or at least not much of them), true. Most people also either don't have jacksh*t in the game and never will, or they cheat for huge amounts of money, or they turn the game into a job and run the same missions over, and over, and over until their eyes bleed and their thumbs fall off. What most people do in this game most of the time is kind of sad.

5 - Yeah, Rockstar knows what they're doing alright. They are making their game more and more boring and frustrating in the hopes that all the people who can't play 8 hours a day and don't dupe cars will give up and buy a shark card. That their game is still somewhat fun in little flashes between all the nonsense they have done to it is practically a miracle - goes to show what a strong product they have at the center, and makes it even more of a shame that they are BURYING that product under systems designed to sell in-game currency.

Edited by Nutduster

B7R

Actually Nutduster provided a good argument (or response) to your post,And he's not a moron I'll give you that

I'm sure he only said "cliche" because we've seen the same thing being said over and over and over in here and elsewhere over time when people come in to defend MTX & Lootboxes. The points you've said about MTX have been done to death and corrected by others in the past. We don't need to keep going over a dead horse time and time again. But if you want to keep believing the system is faultless and MTX is really good for the gaming industry then that's your opinion and up to you. But you don't get to call others a moron just because he mentioned or used a term for something that's been discussed & corrected in the past.

Now If anyone could come up with some new talks about MTX and lootboxes that haven't become a cliche yet then we'd be happy to discuss it.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Actually Nutduster provided a good argument (or response) to your post,And he's not a moron I'll give you that

I'm sure he only said "cliche" because we've seen the same thing being said over and over and over in here and elsewhere over time when people come in to defend MTX & Lootboxes.

That's exactly right. People just regurgitate the same tired points without thinking about them. Then they have nothing to say except insults when you make an argument that they can't refute.

The game is fun, a lot of the time (at least subjectively). But it could easily be a lot better if they hadn't tailored so much of it toward boosting revenue. Any game made that way will reveal its weaknesses the more you play it.

Edited by Nutduster

Giantsgiants

Relevant

Since that thread was made, I can imagine the amount of money is even higher now. You can buy a real car for that amount of money.

Cheesy_wotsit

Everyone needs to quit their bitching. Take Two saying they aren't opposed to lootboxes doesn't automatically mean they are going to be present in RDR2. Think about GTA Online, its the biggest cash cow R* has ever created and yet there isn't a single lootbox in the game,

Swing and a miss, GTAO has lootbox or pay top win random reward mechanics long before EA turned up at the door and left a big pile of sh*t on the mat. Is everyone forgetting the research mechanic that was introduced with the Gun Running DLC. The mechanic that was locked behind a timed pay wall that you could skip with cash, that also required resource to operate again that could skip with cash, that gave players a randomiy generated reward over 75% of which were nothing more than stupid skins with the other 25% being very obvious pay to win enhancements to in game weapons.

The reason why Rcokstar got away with it was because they were able to hide the fact that what they had introduce WAS a lootbox, they twisted the mechanics around a little to make it less obvious but in every single way when you break down the mechanics of how the Gunrunning research worked it was no different to the system EA was using in SWBF2, but because EA is EA they were no where near as good at hiding what they were doing, they also have a very different fan and detractor base that are very quick and able to lock on to any scent of bullsh*t and then let every man and his dog know about it while Rcokstar seem to have nothing but rabid fanboys who will come out to defend them even when they are round your house charging you money for the pleasure of buggering your budgie.

I suspect that Rcokstar and T2 are in for a big shock with RDR2, no doubt you will have the big initial sales for the game (i won't be one of them) but if they are banking on having the same long term repeat micro transaction whales that GTAO has had they are going to be badly shocked. GTAO was a perfect storm for them, they were still riding the wave of good will from long term fans of the GTA series who were happy to see a GTA game with a proper solid decent online aspect, Rcokstar was still a trusted and well respected developer, who had laid out a plan for on going support and the fan base knew that their content was usually top notch. The first year and a bit we got a wave of decent new content, game fixes and new content that all came in well priced and in keeping with the games style and existing content. By this stage they already had a decent committed player base who were going to be there for the long hall.

Then they got greedy and lazy, the content started to become stupid, poorly developed, poorly Q and A'd, utterly out of context with the game themes (look at the meme mobiles.) They started BS practices like the dripfeed which they have now pushed to beyond stupid with the latest DLC, they started copy and pasting the DLC content and the prices have gone from being worth a nice grind to earn something worthwhile to being nothing short of needing to treat GTAO like a second f*cking job and when you finally do get the money for that new weapon, vehicle, building, or piece of BS content you find it has stupid or absent gameplay mechanics (buzzard and sparrow having no flare), is more or less a reskin of a previous piece of content (hangers, bunkers, ceo buildings) or is measurably worse than than previous content (any of the recent super cars added as part of the latest DLC.) and all the while in the background you have Rcokstar treating their player bases like something they have to scrap off the bottom of their shoe. Banning players that are innocent of no crime, a laughable automated support system, a back end infra-structure that was outdated when it launched let alone by todays standards (a side ways wander here but seriously check out this video it is pathetic how bad GTAO is compared to other games)

and finally a game that is riddled with bugs that were there on the day of release and are STILL there now.

Voodoo-Hendrix

Relevant

Since that thread was made, I can imagine the amount of money is even higher now. You can buy a real car for that amount of money.

inb4 "u don't need to buy evrytin'!!!1"

I mean, yeah, it's true, you can get by with a Pistol, a Bati and a two car garage if you wish but it seems like if Take Two doesn't want you to buy anything without either suffering through grinding hell or forking more cash into Shark Cards.

Xiled

Comparison between cost of paid dlc and "free" dlc

Cost of the apc and buzzard (that featured in tbogt) in gta online - $4,842,250 aka $60

Cost of the 2 episodes for gta iv dlc when bundled when they released $40

Tlad has 22 story missions, 22 vehicles and new modes in multiplayer and many new features http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_and_Damned/Features

Tbogt has 26 story missions, 22 vehicles and new modes in mutiplayer and many new features http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Features_in_The_Ballad_of_Gay_Tony

So 2 vehicles in gta online cost more than 48 new missions, 44 new vehicles, the new weapons, everything in multiplayer and the dozen of new features that also include the new safehouses and interiors. Hmm what sounds better paid dlc or "free" dlc? Both gta iv and gta v released at $60

GTA IV released 3.5 years after gta san andreas. GTA V released 5.5 years after GTA IV. Mind you that rockstar made 6 games and 3 dlc packs after gta iv released meanwhile rdr2 will be there only new game in 5 years since gta v and online came out.

Nutduster

Comparison between cost of paid dlc and "free" dlc

Cost of the apc and buzzard (that featured in tbogt) in gta online - $4,842,250 aka $60

Cost of the 2 episodes for gta iv dlc when bundled when they released $40

Tlad has 22 story missions, 22 vehicles and new modes in multiplayer and many new features http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_and_Damned/Features

Tbogt has 26 story missions, 22 vehicles and new modes in mutiplayer and many new features http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Features_in_The_Ballad_of_Gay_Tony

So 2 vehicles in gta online cost more than 48 new missions, 44 new vehicles, the new weapons, everything in multiplayer and the dozen of new features that also include the new safehouses and interiors. Hmm what sounds better paid dlc or "free" dlc? Both gta iv and gta v released at $60

Shockingly, most shark card defenders (including people who just say they're no big deal and claim to have never bought one) will not acknowledge this. They certainly don't have a good counter-argument. At the same time, many of those defenders (now meaning mostly people who have bought them occasionally) will claim they are a decent value because you can make more money per hour at your job than you can grinding, if you convert one currency into the other. This is how Rockstar gets fans to do their dirty work: they cap earn rates very low to make the cards seem like a bargain if you have a halfway decent job - just never mind that almost every single thing they've added for 2+ years costs multiple millions of dollars.

This is what the erosion of a fundamentally good (or at least interesting) game looks like. It's what happens when fun and good game design takes a backseat to revenue, whenever the two are in conflict at least. And it is at its most glaring when you stare for too long at what the current goodies would cost you to buy them outright, then compare that to what you paid for 1) GTA V, or 2) GTA IV's DLCs, or 3) most any DLC for any game that has ever existed. I mean... one useless yacht will run you almost $100. A Deluxo, an Oppressor and a handful of new outfits will run you $100. And if you choose not to buy and not to cheat, your grind time to earn that $100 worth of GTA$ is probably going to be in the neighborhood of 32-40 hours; you could play an entire other single player game, or all of the main missions of GTA V and then some, in the amount of time it takes you to earn that Deluxo and Oppressor. No matter how you break this down mathematically, GTA Online and shark cards come out looking like a scam if your eyes are open.

Le biatch

I was one of those that bought and played the dlcs for IV when they came out and after beating it once or twice, have not touched it since. Was it worth the price that I payed for? Maybe, if I would've enjoyed the car physics but I honestly hated it.

Meanwhile, I've made almost 4 million in the past few days from VIP work and definitely not grinding my life away. Am I enjoying the game play? You bet your ass I am. Will the next dlc be groundbreaking? I'm hoping so, since they are giving us a chance to make a sh*tload of money. Would a SP dlc for this game actually work with a 3 option ending? I really doubt it.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

I was one of those that bought and played the dlcs for IV when they came out and after beating it once or twice, have not touched it since. Was it worth the price that I payed for? Maybe, if I would've enjoyed the car physics but I honestly hated it.

Meanwhile, I've made almost 4 million in the past few days from VIP work and definitely not grinding my life away. Am I enjoying the game play? You bet your ass I am. Will the next dlc be groundbreaking? I'm hoping so, since they are giving us a chance to make a sh*tload of money. Would a SP dlc for this game actually work with a 3 option ending? I really doubt it.

You are not doing enough introspection here. Why are you happy blasting the same handful of VIP jobs over and over for many hours when those mostly have no interesting variation in them and are the same every time? Why did you NOT replay the IV DLCs when they had so much more content in them than a handful of VIP jobs?

Short answer: Rockstar has you hooked on infinite progression - watching your money number go up, and occasionally acquiring things, most of which you will barely use after an initial burst of curiosity. It's less a game than a Skinner box. You have been duped. (Not just you, I'm right there with you! I've been grinding VIP jobs the last couple days. But when I really take a hard look at why I'm doing it, it's certainly not because doing Headhunter in a Buzzard for the two hundredth time is actually FUN. It's not. The only virtues are that it's quick and it pays well.)

Edited by Nutduster

Le biatch

You are not doing enough introspection here. Why are you happy blasting the same handful of VIP jobs over and over for many hours when those mostly have no interesting variation in them and are the same every time? Why did you NOT replay the IV DLCs when they had so much more content in them than a handful of VIP jobs?

Short answer: Rockstar has you hooked on infinite progression - watching your money number go up, and occasionally acquiring things, most of which you will barely use after an initial burst of curiosity. It's less a game than a Skinner box. You have been duped. (Not just you, I'm right there with you! I've been grinding VIP jobs the last couple days. But when I really take a hard look at why I'm doing it, it's certainly not because doing Headhunter in a Buzzard for the two hundredth time is actually FUN. It's not. The only virtues are that it's quick and it pays well.)

I'm honestly doing it because I'm just like y'all and REFUSE to pay for a shark card. I'd rather take advantage and cheat the system and make as much as possible when given the opportunity. See, I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm just saying that when you have a chance, stick it to these motherf*ckers and take the money and run, no matter how you go about it.

Because R* is doing the same sh*t, but doing it in a legal way. That's why I feel like the in game movie meltdown is so important and gives everyone a lesson. A lesson that no one will get until they are tired of the bullsh*t and understand the importance of capitalism.

Rafae

You're not really cheating the system unless you dupe or glitch

By mindlessly grinding, you're just sinking more and more time into the game instead of the money

Cheesy_wotsit

Sorry nope even that isn't cheating the system. Unless I am using something that injects code or directly changes the code provided by Rcokstar then what I am doing is using the code they have authorised for release. The reason why you can dupe and glitch is a combination of poor Q and A on Rcokstars behalf and a pathetic infrastructure that over sees how missions and lobbies are launched, the latest run of dupe glitches all use exploits tied to how the game deals with matchmaking and lobbies. If Rcokstar had spent some time with making matchmaking fast and efficient the latest run of glitches wouldn't work but then on the flipside players being able to join and run missions faster would allow them to make money more quickly.

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Sorry nope even that isn't cheating the system. Unless I am using something that injects code or directly changes the code provided by Rcokstar then what I am doing is using the code they have authorised for release.

I do love a good, pointless hair-splitting.

P.S. Whatever you call it, if you get caught you may get banned or at least have your money removed, and potentially given a dupe detect status that stops you from doing it again - and whatever you're doing will get patched as quickly as their code-money army can churn out a fix. So play with semantics all you like, we both know Rockstar's views on this and in the end that is really the only thing that counts.

Edited by Nutduster

kcole4001

If you buy into the pay DLC scheme, you'll buy into the shark card scheme, and the same people will likely buy into lootboxes or any other pay to play scheme.

It comes down to spending the time or spending (real) money.

Simple solution: don't buy their crap.

It is basically a scam.

I bought the game on sale for $34.99, and will not ever pay for DLC, cards, lootboxes, etc.

The game had not gone on sale for quite a long time after release, I finally got it Nov. 2016, because I was NOT going to pay full price.

I gotta admit, it's pure marketing genius being able to convince people to pay real money for fake e-money.

But just because it exists doesn't mean you have to go along with their scam.

The real problem is that some suckers will.

kenmy13999

Sorry nope even that isn't cheating the system. Unless I am using something that injects code or directly changes the code provided by Rcokstar then what I am doing is using the code they have authorised for release.

P.S. Whatever you call it, if you get caught you may get banned or at least have your money removed, and potentially given a dupe detect status that stops you from doing it again - and whatever you're doing will get patched as quickly as their code-money army can churn out a fix. So play with semantics all you like, we both know Rockstar's views on this and in the end that is really the only thing that counts.

Pretty much everyone can get a dupe detected status tho, doesn't really matter if they're cheating or not. very bad implemented system, very bad.. ;)

Nutduster

Pretty much everyone can get a dupe detected status tho, doesn't really matter if they're cheating or not. very bad implemented system, very bad.. ;)

Technically true, but you have to stumble into a fairly weird bug for it to happen. Most people that have never duped aren't dupe-detected. (Which is not at all an argument that Rockstar shouldn't fix that dumb bug, by the way.)