4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
S.A.C.

You from the future

S.A.C.
Posted (edited)

You're walking the streets and an old man (or woman) walks up to you. He or she looks exactly like you. They tell you that they're you from the future and give you a gun. He/she says someone is coming to kill you in a few hours. A few hours pass and a random person walks up and starts shooting at you. You kill them and live. Would you then believe you encountered your future self or not?

Edited by S.A.C.

universetwisters

I would ask him to cradle me and while he was doing so I would vomit in his shirt pocket.

Mr. Scratch

Shoot myself.

Classic win-win situation.

MyNameHere

I kill and eat, more power to me.

My future me says nothing because he's a corpse.

make total destroy

You're sitting on the toilet. A person kicks down the door and tells you that they're your future self. They look exactly like you, but droopier. They warn you not to strain so hard when sh*tting, because later in life you are going to develop hemorrhoids that require surgery. A few years pass and, lo and behold, you're sitting in a hospital bed, sedated with a scalpel scraping away your hemorrhoids. Would you believe you encountered your future self or not?.

Am Shaegar

How did my future self know that someone is going to shoot me in the present? I think you got the MIB 3 plot a bit wrong. It should have been somebody else from the future that warns me about getting shot by someone. In that case, I still won't believe that I have encountered a person from the future just because he claims to know me in the future.

Lucy_Woooolfe
Posted (edited)

Ok, I go along, although OP hasn't sketched out the situation very clearly, and I don't think the thread will survive very long ;)

Gives me a hard time believing that. But not because of the evident paradox you are pointing at. I have no problem with that.

I would have to believe her identity from the start, to begin with. Since I can only assume that I am able to tell a mere lookalike from the real deal me, any future self will have to present her case in a very convincing manner indeed, or I wouldn't take the gun in the first place; I accept however I could be dealing with some sort of linear space time paradox, or simply gone bonkers. So far no problem.

My future self is probably intervening from an alternate timeline, in which I either haven't been attacked at all, or at least survived the attack without any intervention but somehow came away worse off (badly injured? Missed something important while being in hospital? Fell into coma?); my future alternate self is obviously intervening in order to manipulate my home timeline, violating several codes of conduct in SpaceTime travel in the process. I will however most likely not inform the Guild of SpaceTime Navigators, since knowing me, she has convinced me of her excellent reasons to will have been doing so. No problem there, either.

Or I am caught in a simple time loop: My future self only exists because of me surviving the attack, while I only survive because of her existing, providing me with the means to survive the attack. No big deal either, things like that happen all over time space, nothing to worry about, really.

Leaving me any to me completely unfamiliar weapon to defend myself, instead of killing the man herself which would be way smoother a move and also save me some really mean questions from German authorities, who don't take kindly to the use - self defense or not - of unlicensed firearms? That is a bit bad sports on her side, but again, she will have explained all this to me.

Edited by Lucy_Woooolfe

The_Human
Posted (edited)

How can my future self meet me when I'm going to die after an hour?

Edited by The_Human

DOUGL4S1

Nah, people trying to shoot you is not a very hard thing to predict when you live in Brazil.

The_Human

Nah, people trying to shoot you is not a very hard thing to predict when you live in Brazil.

It's depressing to hear that.

Short Stay

You are two alternating people, a man and a woman. You are also a bigamist because as a man, you have loving wife. As a woman you have a loving husband. Your never-quite-explained-away-from-home job means that you can lead this double life. You also have children in both relationships, three in one and two in the other. You are a f*cked f*cker.

Absar J Khan

Future is unpredictable.

FukNRekd

Guns are bad, mmmkay.

Sanches

Present me be like:

pjvBcG2.gif

trip
Posted (edited)

No.

Future you? That means that our lives are predestined since obviously nothing we (think we) do now matters. I'm an atheist so by nature I don't believe my life has already been laid out.

Also if future you returns to the present time...what makes now special? If 'now' and 'the future' are 2 seperate planes then someone from 'the future' would have already traveled back in time and impressed the people of the/that day.

Edited by trip

GTA3Rockstar

Why not give myself the winning lottery?

BOGUS!

Blaze

You're walking the streets and an old man (or woman) walks up to you. He or she looks exactly like you. They tell you that they're you from the future and give you a gun. He/she says someone is coming to kill you in a few hours. A few hours pass and a random person walks up and starts shooting at you. You kill them and live. Would you then believe you encountered your future self or not?

You're walking the streets and an old man (or woman) walks up to you. He or she looks exactly like you. They tell you that they're you from the future and give you a gun. He/she says someone is coming to kill you in a few hours. A few hours pass and a random person walks up and starts shooting at you. You kill them and live. You get locked up for manslaughter even though it's self defense. In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories. Would you then believe in life after love?

Exkabewbikadid

V2Ut6zV.png

Buttheads.

BlackScout

A future self? Wow, what a surprise. How are you? How did I make it? /s

Voodoo

First thing I would do is take everyone's advice and go f*ck myself.

Inttelix
Posted (edited)

It's depressing to hear that.

We dont even have time to fall into depression. We are in front of hospitals waiting in line for 3 days to get a date to set a date 3 months from now to wait in line for 3 days again to see if there are enough passwords so you can 6 months after the day you got a password to visit a doctor.

In the day you visit a hospital, time and date is set and you are told to come 15 minutes early. 2 hours have passed and all types of passwords are called: the ones before and the ones after you. And then you finally visit the doctor who analyzes you and will say that you need treatment, and follow-up. So if your disease can not wait 9 months for a second visit, dont even bother coming back. Instead order the coffin.

Dont even need my future self to know what is going to happen.

Edited by Inttelix

Star-Lord

First thing I would do is take everyone's advice and go f*ck myself.

My thoughts exactly.

Sanches

If you jerk off future yourself, would that be considered as gay or masturbation?

Inttelix

It just means you are asexual. Which means you have not found sex yet.

Star-Lord

It just means the present is just f*cking the future up with his own bare hands. Lol