1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Emmi

Theory: The official Red Dead Redemption 2 screenshots confirm that John Marston is a playable character

Cozzi

its just a bag... anyone can carry a bag... I mean maybe we'll play as him but there no way of knowing until its confirmed and I really don't see how a bag confirms it. The screenshots of Marston are just because it builds hype because we know him already.

But The Bag. The Bag bestows life. The Bag is the summation of the hope and love in each and every one of our hearts. The Bag allows the lost to be found, and the blind to see. Dutch has let us hold His Bag so that we may see all that is evil that exists in the world, and crush it to dust (with The Bag).

You mustn't speak ill of The Bag, or the powers it holds, as ultimately we will all have to be judged by His Bag and either crushed by it, or consumed within its joyful embrace.

Do YOU have His Bag?

Amen, Dutch.

Edited by Cozzi

infectedG636

I mean I could something like Morgan being killed off by Marston over something and then we can play Marston after the game. But this is just a prediction and waaay off.

Pedinhuh

Oh man, I hope Arthur doesn't die and just run away to Mexico or gets in a boat to England or something like that.

The Algerian

I'm sick of the R* protags dying lately; Marston, Phelps, Trevor/Michael.... it's just gotten stale.

Nobody forced you to choose option A or B.

The real ending was obviously C.

Two others felt rushed and written by interns.

Edited by The Algerian

tsto

RDR was an amazing, spectacular game that I loved very much and still do. Marston was a fantastic character and I enjoyed playing as him.

With that said, I sure as hell don't ‹want to play as him again, at least not for long. I like the concept of Arthur, and the fact we know so little about him. He seems like a solid and well crafted character with an interesting personality we will get to explore. Please Rockstar, do not repeat the concept of the first RDR where one character dies for the sake of playing another. We already know John, and I'm sure we will see much more of his past in this game, but the concept of Arthur seems way more intriguing to me at this point.

FrankNitti1886

Since Arthur is never mentioned in RDR1 there must be a great chance of him dying. Probably from a situation where none of the other gang members ever wants to speak of it ever again. Rockstar must somehow erase him at the end of the game and if so, I would much rather have John as playable character than anyone else. But we'll see, perhaps we get to play as John at the end and as DLC we get the whole RDR1 game remastered with the new map included =) Veeeery far fetched

Dr.Rosenthal

When will we see the grand opening of The Bag Discussion, Appreciation and Speculation thread?

Jokes aside.. OP might be on to something, but then it could just be props too with no practical gameplay bearings..

I wouldnt really mind switching to Marston at the end of the game as it would make sense. But I would prefer it if Morgan didnt die. As others have said, too many protags have gone the death route lately. Its some form of poetic justice to it, but then it starts to get worn out a little.

AwesomO4000

I dont think a bag is proof of anything, and it seems more like wishful thinking.

I hope they don't kill off Arthor Morgan at the end like in RDR, and if John Marston does become playable, hopefully is by cheat codes like how you got to play as Jack Marston early. I would say he could possibly be playable through story expansion DLC like TLaD and TBoGT from GTA:IV, but considering we were expecting that for GTA:V and never got it, who knows what R* will do?

I still doubt R* will let us play as John again and only stick to Arthor, but it would be great fan service like others have said, but i don't think we should be creating false hype and setting ourselves up for dissapointment.

Edited by Awesom-0

LeonVegaSuarez

Some of your theories seem a little far fetched but I won't rule out us being able to play as John Marston at some point.

First off, Rockstar wouldn't tell us about it, especially if it means Morgan dies and then after the main story we can freeroam as John.

Would be some tremendous fan service to let us play as John Marston again after his tragic death in RDR1 but it would also make the whole story come full circle kind off.

ivarblaauw

I truly believe we will be playing as Marston in the end. Why? Not because of this theory, although it makes some sense.

My guess is that you are ordered by Dutch to shoot Marston in the back during the robbery of 1906
Here you have three options:
- Do it, after which you will switch to John just before his hunt of Bill and Arthur is the first to die by John's hand.
- Don't do it and John is shot by Dutch. Arthur flees the scene, followed by Law Enforcement and/or the Van der Linde gang, and rides away to Mexico.
- Attack Dutch, in which Arthur will be shot along with John. Arthur dies right there and John never knew Arthur came to his aid...

Either of the options will make a legit reason that Morgan ain't mentioned later. He's either death, and John never knew Morgan was killed by Dutch or he fled far away, which 5 year later will not be on anyone's mind. Last but not least he will be killed by Marston...

I guess we only play freely as Marston later in the game, and in some special missions throughout the story :)

Cozzi

I truly believe we will be playing as Marston in the end. Why? Not because of this theory, although it makes some sense.

My guess is that you are ordered by Dutch to shoot Marston in the back during the robbery of 1906

Here you have three options:

- Do it, after which you will switch to John just before his hunt of Bill and Arthur is the first to die by John's hand.

- Don't do it and John is shot by Dutch. Arthur flees the scene, followed by Law Enforcement and/or the Van der Linde gang, and rides away to Mexico.

- Attack Dutch, in which Arthur will be shot along with John. Arthur dies right there and John never knew Arthur came to his aid...

Either of the options will make a legit reason that Morgan ain't mentioned later. He's either death, and John never knew Morgan was killed by Dutch or he fled far away, which 5 year later will not be on anyone's mind. Last but not least he will be killed by Marston...

I guess we only play freely as Marston later in the game, and in some special missions throughout the story :)

Are you suggesting multiple endings? Idk why but i never considered multiple endings. I would be cool with that. I trust R* here. From what I've seen so far I think R* is gonna to do this game up right either way.

I would like to play as Marston though, like the old Reddit leak said. Still love that idea. A lot of people here hate it for one reason or another and don't like the idea of the protagonist dying, but I think its fitting here, and I've thought it was amazing since i first heard it, and that leak becomes more and more credible as news on the game breaks. lol

jdv95

i would like to play as john again in some mission but i would dislike the game to have the multiple protagonists thing gta v did.

it would hurt the story if you just switched over and over again between the 2.

greenrock

Rockstar confirmed that Arthur is the only playable character

so no

DoctorMike

They won't just spoil the game from the get-go, his being the playable character at the end is actually quite likely, considering the fact that John looks older in the pic and all...

Watain

Maybe we'll get to play as John after he's left for dead? There could be a chapter or so which will tie loose knots together, giving us insight on the incident from both perspectives. I hope we'll get to play as John again somehow. I'm not really feeling the character of Arthur Morgan, much like I didn't feel GTA V's protagonists.

DexMacLeod

I can't see a point in playing as John after the story's over. His after the gang and before Redemption life was mostly raising his son and struggling to run a ranch. It wouldn't really make sense for him to go around tying up Arthur's loose ends in that situation.

Plus, with all the talk about the bonding and base camp mechanics it'd be a real shame if all that were to just get wiped out when the story's over.

Safari

R* stated Arthur is the only playable character if John was a playable character they wouldn't have said Arthur is the only playable character.

saintsrow

I think somebody probably mentioned (since every possible theory has been put forth) the idea that maybe the game starts with John as protag, and pretty early in the game, they have the steamboat mission, which is like the GTAV North Yankton bank heist, where Marston gets left for dead, and then the rest of the game is one big flashback, with Aurthur as the only playable character, and John is just an NPC that comes along later.

It doesn't make sense, but having two featured protags in the game, in the same time frame, doesn't make sense either.

Nothing makes sense.

But at least we have some insight now, as why Dutch's bag is such a key part of the game.

Edited by saintsrow

Cutter De Blanc

R* stated Arthur is the only playable character if John was a playable character they wouldn't have said Arthur is the only playable character.

"Packie's not in it." -Dan Houser regarding GTAV

ThroatSlasher2

They won't spoil their game. Why would they tell the truth? It's Rockstar we're talking about here.

Cutter De Blanc

I feel like John may play too pivotal a role in this story to be a playable character

McAgent

Bit late, but

Spoiler

looks like the mans theory was right after all.

Those pre-release pics of John and Sadie are straight from the epilogue

Edited by McAgent

RJX74
2 hours ago, McAgent said:

Bit late, but

Reveal hidden contents

looks like the mans theory was right after all.

Those pre-release pics of John and Sadie are straight from the epilogue

I

Spoiler

I figured it out when I saw this pic

Irdr2-screenshot-040-1525356011538.jpgI don't think any other NPC's carrying a long-firearm like that.

Equatecurl

John has his signature hair in that pic

rockstar can you please add it