1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Emmi

Theory: The official Red Dead Redemption 2 screenshots confirm that John Marston is a playable character

Emmi

So I might be onto something spectacular. I was just reviewing the official screenshots of Red Dead Redemption II for another time earlier today and noticed something very interesting, which in my opinion confirms that John Marston will be a playable character in the game. In which context however remains to be seen, whether it's mission specific or if we'll play as John at the end of the story or sometime in-between.

1. Pay close attention to Arthur's back here ... how the gun and the belt for his iconic bag is located.

10-1080p.jpg

2. Now pay close attention to John's back here ... again how the gun and the belt for the exact same iconic bag is located.

red-dead-redemption-2-v1-549984.jpg

3. Which brings me to the next point ... John is the only one to have that same bag with him as Arthur ... I have not seen it on any other character from the official screenshots so far.

4. This bag is only visible in a few shots from John Marston ... supporting my theory that screenshots where the bag is not visible are taken at a point in the game where we still play as Arthur ... others where John does have it, are obviously taken from a point where we play as him.

5. This bag will very likely surve as inventory ... alà the menu we had in RDR1.

6. Therefore it's an essential part of the gameplay and you'd need to equip every playable character with it.

7. Below is another, more clear shot of the bag ...

rdr2-screenshot-040-1525356011538.jpg

8. John does not have the bag in this screenshot where he's shown next to Arthur ... in fact John is never visible with this bag when Arthur is also shown in the same scene or screenshot.

31497794_424676111289820_915019903122014

9. I always thought something was fishy/strange when R* showed so 'gameplay-like' screenshots featuring close-ups from John Marston (attention: he's got his bag with him) ... screens that you'd come to expect to show Arthur?

31531665_10156325547640097_3402021037993

Make of this what you want but it sure is strange and well, for me it definitely confirms that we'll play as John Marston in the game ... no idea for how long or when that'll happen, but we'll play as him!

Also, did R* really think we would not figure this out beforehand?

Discuss.

Mr. Morgan

Interesting! Kudos for noticing this.

I've gotta say though.. I'll be greatly a bit disappointed if we once again go with the "character-dies-only-to-be-replaced-by-another-character" route. Don't get me wrong, John is one of my favorite video game characters of all time, but I want RDR2 to focus on Arthur, and if he dies just to replaced with John? Man, I don't know.

I'd be fine with it if it's for a certain story mission or some such, but otherwise? Nah. If I wanted to play as John, I'd go back and play RDR for the 500th time.

Vinewood Villain

Im with you on this. Im certain well be in his shoes again.

Also, John is wearing his classic outfit in a lot of these screenshots.

Jason

Maaaaaaybe? I dunno, I find it a bit of stretch to judge whether somebody is playable or not from the characters model but I can see where you're coming from.

I've gotta say though.. I'll be greatly a bit disappointed if we once again go with the "character-dies-only-to-be-replaced-by-another-character" route.

Ditto, if RDR2 ends the same way as RDR1 they won't be doing either game justice IMO.

Jimmy Darmody

Good eye, OP. I think you may be onto something. But of course, we need more than just a bag to say that John's gonna be a playable character with a degree of confidence. It may be the case that both Arthur and John just happen to shop at the same place lolz :lol:

No, but seriously, good eye OP, but we need more evidence, for example:

supportcharacters.jpg

Charles Smith rocks a similar bag to Arthur Morgan which may refute your hypothesis

supportcharacters.jpg

But like i said i think (and hope) you're right...

Edited by Jimmy Darmody

Emmi

^ This actually is another bag ... it's an ADDITIONAL bag every character seems to have and it seems to be used in robbery missions to store the loot? If you take a close look at the horses saddle you'll notice that this bag is visible in each of them.

Cutter De Blanc

Theory is a theory, if it were confirmed there would be no question

GTAFanClub

It's obvious that they are just holding on to Dutch's bag for him.

Seriously though cool theory.

MostWantedMVP

Would love to play as John again.

LibertyKing

Maybe by the end of the game, we get to play as Marston right before he returns to Blackwater by boat and the game end how the first one starts. It seems odd to me that he wears the exact same outfit as the first game in all of these screenshots, especially since the two games are set so far apart. Also, the fact that he wears different clothes on the images with Arthur seems to support this theory.

JOSEPH X

Maybe they're lovers and it's where they keep their flavoured condoms. "1899 and the sun is setting on the age of the gunslingers, and the dawn of the metrosexuals is rising - Brokeback Redemption II."

Shadowfennekin

I'd love to play him again.

I just hope we don't deal with Arthur dying and Marston takes over. Even as an option....

I'm sick of the R* protags dying lately; Marston, Phelps, Trevor/Michael.... it's just gotten stale. If Arthur dies, I wouldn't get as emotional as I did with Marston because I'd know to expect it. What would be nice is to just see him and that blonde girl ride off into the sunset together and leave the life behind them, hence why John isn't tasked with hunting them down.

The blonde guy and native american are totally gonna die at some point though, they scream canon fodder to me.

Grizzy

God I hope not.

phenetole

Good observations but there is one thing that for me completely discounts this being real. We know that there is a new mechanic where Arthur can lift heavy animals and carry them on his shoulder. That's an integral mechanic in the hunting aspect that is only made possible by Arthur's physique and strength. If we end up playing as John in the end game then that would either mean removing that mechanic or allowing John, who is weaker than Arthur, to carry large animals which would go against their more realistic approach and break immersion. Not to mention some of the more aggressive NPC interactions like tackling people down, or lifting them up like we saw in that trailer (which could be a cutscene but I believe that is a contextual aggressive interaction). All this is only possible because of Arthur's strength and I highly doubt they would remove them just so we could play as John.

l_5aea8c15cd4c7.jpg

Edited by phenetole

Emmi

^ You deserve an award for the troll-post of the year!

Mach1bud

A buck whitetail deer only weighs 150lbs fully grown. John is more than capable of carrying that lol.

150 lbs is nothing to carry on your shoulders.

Cutter De Blanc

Putting John as playable in the game would mean they'd have to do twice the work for almost every NPC in the game, since Arthur can interact with the NPCs and they remember him.

Or do you think they'd treat it like when you play as Jack, where the NPCs just treated him like John Marston with no fame?

Mach1bud

Exactly like RDR did with Jack.

phenetole

Exactly like RDR did with Jack.

But why would the spend all this time and effort on improving the AI and how they treat Arthur then just get rid of it and make people treat John the same? It made sense with Jack cause the ai wasn't as advanced but what with all the talk and focus on AI in RDR2 I just don't see them sacrificing it for another playable character.

Edited by phenetole

DexMacLeod

A buck whitetail deer only weighs 150lbs fully grown. John is more than capable of carrying that lol.

150 lbs is nothing to carry on your shoulders.

Yeah, plus, we saw that NPC in the first trailer with an animal on the back of his horse. Seems safe to assume he put it there and he's smaller than Marston. Unless that guy's a playable character too! ;)

As for playing as Martson's concerned, I'd like to play as him again but I'd hate to lose Arthur and take over with John. I still like the theory that we start with an epilogue as John during the botched robbery where he gets shot and then we switch to Arthur for the rest of the game after that. Seems less likely after the third trailer but still possible.

Since the passing of time seems to be a big part of this game they could start with the epilogue somewhere in the middle of the story then rewind to see how we got there. They said they wanted this story to be accessible to people who didn't play the last one and this would be a pretty good way to get everyone on the same page early on.

Matrelith

While I do see a plausible chance Rockstar will pull off the ''protagonist dies at the end of the game'' shtick again, I don't find the bag argument to be very strong.

Marston is only seen wearing the bag in the RDR2 screenshots when he's wearing his iconic outfit from RDR1, which indeed featured a bag back then as well

0mfYlHU.jpg

However he also wore outfits which didn't feature the bag.

33swkgP.jpg

Seeing as there are plenty of shots from the trailers where Arthur also isn't wearing a bag, the theory that bag = playable character seems far-fetched.

Edited by Matrelith

Fluffy Sock

Maybe they're lovers and it's where they keep their flavoured condoms. "1899 and the sun is setting on the age of the gunslingers, and the dawn of the metrosexuals is rising - Brokeback Redemption II."

Many thanks for picturing that on my mind.

headshot-infeliz-enojado-un-varon-de-med

Edited by Fluffy Sock

LeakyLine

While I do see a plausible chance Rockstar will pull off the ''protagonist dies at the end of the game'' shtick again, I don't see the bag argument to be very strong.

Marston is only seen wearing the bag in the RDR2 screenshots when he's wearing his iconic outfit from RDR1, which indeed also featured a bag

0mfYlHU.jpg

33swkgP.jpg

Seeing as there are plenty of shots from the trailers where Arthur also isn't wearing a bag, the theory that bag = playable character seems far-fetched.

do we get to play as the bag

PvTails

This isn't the first time rockstar has allowed you to play as different character besides the main protagonist.

In Red Dead Revolver, even though you mostly played as Red Harlow through out the story.

There was moments where you played as other characters to add to the story, like flashbacks,

and when Red was kidnapped in a mission prior and his cousin had to rescue him so had to play as him shortly after.

You may not be able to swap characters at will like in GTA V, but that doesn't rule out that you will be able to play as other characters in certain missions or situations.

Edited by PvTails

Emmi

While I do see a plausible chance Rockstar will pull off the ''protagonist dies at the end of the game'' shtick again, I don't see the bag argument to be very strong.

Marston is only seen wearing the bag in the RDR2 screenshots when he's wearing his iconic outfit from RDR1, which indeed also featured a bag

0mfYlHU.jpg

33swkgP.jpg

Hm, interesting. That could put my theory to rest.

MARKUS.

Very interesting theory OP

do we get to play as the bag

tonko

I'm calling it now. Arthur dies in the final mission and John becomes our playable character. :panic:

Nice catch OP.

Buckcote

I want play as Arthur after game ends. Please no.

MARKUS.

I just hope that we don't have to embrace an annoying voice like Jack's. And gosh, please I hope they hired the same voice actor for John being playable or not

nixrp

its just a bag... anyone can carry a bag... I mean maybe we'll play as him but there no way of knowing until its confirmed and I really don't see how a bag confirms it. The screenshots of Marston are just because it builds hype because we know him already.