2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

aqarwaen

why dont gta protagonists just lock car doors,to avoid getting busted by police?

aqarwaen

why dont gta protagonists just lock car doors,to avoid getting busted by cops.i mean why cant we just lock car doors,to prevent cops opening my door and arrest me?i mean most modem cars,have option to lock doors,so that kids cant open then and fall off from driving car.so why cant we do same thing in game??

JuliusCaesar
Posted (edited)

Because it is a video game. Do you want to brush your teeth and tie your shoes minigame, too? :p

Cop will just punch out the window or shoot through it anyway. There is no concept of "out of gas" in GTA, either. It's a good thing. There's no reason to let you lock the cops out because you shouldn't just be sitting there watching them anyway: You should be escaping them. Any other emergent gameplay is cool and all, but that's not what the game is - the game is: "Wanted Level? Escape". So there's no reason to lock a cop out of your car, because if you're wanted, your car should not be stationary when still near police, and them being able to open it and bust you is the whole thing that makes that a mechanic for a video game.

Edited by JuliusCaesar

Cutter De Blanc

9 times out of ten your windows are busted out anyway, locking your door wouldn't do much

kcole4001

As cutter posted, usually the windows are busted/shot out already,

The popo in GTA games are notoriously trigger happy, they try to kill you with only 2 stars.

You get 2 stars by accidentally bumping their car and fleeing.

There is no IA review in GTA and they have no paperwork to fill out, so it's shoot first, eat donuts later!

MARKUS.

Domac

Because you rarely even get busted in this game.

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

Yeah, but it would be like in San Andreas when CJ couldn't figure out how to steal a locked convertible and I sat there thinking "just jump over the door you idiot". This is really where gameplay logic should take over. If cops were unable to get into a locked car despite 9 times out of 10 having a gun or baton/nightstick in their possession that could easily smash a window it would just break believability to me.

In real life I doubt cops would all of a sudden stop to try and arrest you because the door's locked.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Am Shaegar
Posted (edited)

It's not specific to CJ, but all 3D era games though. Not a really big issue. What I find the most idiotic is the fact that the so-called highly skilled war veteran Niko (yay, don't laugh, if people think he's, then let's not argue :D) can't even stand on the roof of the car or stand on top of any moving vehicle?!? I mean, its really stupid that he can't stand on a moving vehicle but just falls off, as if his legs got paralysed or something. LOL

That's the point. We should rather ask for more fun features like standing on top of vehicles and enjoy the cop chases, while watching them driving behind helplessly, instead of not being able to enter locked cars or the fact that the player can't avoid getting busted by locking the doors isn't something so important, because GTA isn't (at least, no longer anymore, after V stopped following on the predecessors footsteps of indulging in realism, thankfully) about realism, but fast paced action packed adventures. It's not really frustrating since there's no point in sitting inside a locked car when you are surrounded by the cops anyways.

I would suggest to not make cops so trigger happy and introduce some balancing act by giving the players much better options to avoid cops or wanted stars altogether

Edited by Am Shaegar

Jack Lupino

why dont gta protagonists just lock car doors,to avoid getting busted by cops.i mean why cant we just lock car doors,to prevent cops opening my door and arrest me?i mean most modem cars,have option to lock doors,so that kids cant open then and fall off from driving car.so why cant we do same thing in game??

Because IRL when police is after your car will you try to run away from the scene as fast as you can or will you sit down on your ass locking the doors?

Think about it and you will answer your own question.

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

It's not specific to CJ, but all 3D era games though. Not a really big issue. What I find the most idiotic is the fact that the so-called highly skilled war veteran Niko (yay, don't laugh, if people think he's, then let's not argue :D) can't even stand on the roof of the car or stand on top of any moving vehicle?!? I mean, its really stupid that he can't stand on a moving vehicle but just falls off, as if his legs got paralysed or something. LOL

It's not stupid actually. R* just didn't bother wasting time coding the physics for a pointless gimmick like standing on top of moving cars.

pyrhhus5

i'd rather be able to use the car's turn signals

Am Shaegar

I would actually pay big money to see Arm Shaegar trying to stand on the roof of a moving car.

So, you consider Niko just an average guy that you are willing to pay big money only to prove that I wont be able to stand on the roof of a moving car? Well, I thought there's a difference between gangsters/criminals, etc, esp. highly skilled war veterans and an individual like me? I think you are only helping my point that way. :D

I think locking yourself inside a car is not going to prove helpful at all. It can only work when the cops actually wait for the player to leave the car without using any force, meaning the player is letting the cops to surround the vehicle they are driving. I don't see why would anyone player would face such a situation since we are constantly running and driving around the map to escape from the cops and reduce the chances of getting seen or caught, otherwise the wanted level will never drop down at all, if you are under constant watch from the cops by locking yourself inside the car.

It'd be much better to bring back the car surfing feature and allow the player to interact with the car in ways that could be useful during chases like shooting while standing on the roof tops, sliding and moving over the edges of big vehicles like trucks, buses, etc., and even letting you to upgrade the cars similar to GTA 2 with rockets, carry oil to throw on roads to make the pursuing cars slip off,etc

D9fred95
Posted (edited)

I would actually pay big money to see Arm Shaegar trying to stand on the roof of a moving car.

So, you consider Niko just an average guy that you are willing to pay big money only to prove that I wont be able to stand on the roof of a moving car? Well, I thought there's a difference between gangsters/criminals, etc, esp. highly skilled war veterans and an individual like me? I think you are only helping my point that way. :D

Probably because being a war veteran still means you're a human being and things like wind resistance and inertia when the car stops are still going to exist. How fast of a moving car are we even talking anyway? We should go get a US marine and tell him to stand on top of a car to see how far he gets before falling off. Not going prone or steadying himself mind you, just standing on it since that's supposedly the issue here.

Not to mention the mission where Niko climbs a top the coke truck to steal it. He only falls off if you don't brace. So clearly he's got the skills, they just didn't implement them outside of the mission.

Edited by D9fred95

Algonquin Assassin

Probably because being a war veteran still means you're a human being and things like wind resistance and inertia when the car stops are still going to exist. How fast of a moving car are we even talking anyway? We should go get a US marine and tell him to stand on top of a car to see how far he gets before falling off. Not going prone or steadying himself mind you, just standing on it since that's supposedly the issue here.

Not to mention the mission where Niko climbs a top the coke truck to steal it. He only falls off if you don't brace. So clearly he's got the skills, they just didn't implement them outside of the mission.

It seems in his little mind that being a war veteran means you can defy the laws of physics like you're Superman. Unless of course Niko was trained specifically how to stand on top of moving cars I fail to see why it's relevant to him since Johnny and Luis can't do it either which like I said R* probably just didn't bother coding the physics to perform the action. Nothing do with Niko being a war veteran.

Atleast my comment has some relevance to this thread. CJ even has experience stealing cars so the thought of him not being to steal a locked convertible with its roof down when he can easily hop over the door is just retarded. I don't care whether other 3D era GTAs had the same issue. It should've been fixed by the time of San Andreas so thankfully by GTA IV it was. Maybe Niko can't stand on top of moving cars, but he can steal locked cars no problem. However the real point I was trying to get across before the Osho sibling decided to grace his presence is the thought of any character (protagonist or not) not being able to get into a locked car for whatever reason really makes no sense. It's difficult to get arrested in GTA V (GTA IV too) anyway so I really don't see the point.

Even if it's hard to get arrested in the HD era GTAs I've always enjoyed the adrenaline rush of being in a car chase not knowing if it'll end up with me getting away scot free or in handcuffs. The protagonists locking their doors would take that away IMO.

Am Shaegar

How fast of a moving car are we even talking anyway?

I am talking about slow moving cars. In SA, I haven't seen NPCs driving at a faster speed when CJ (or even other protags) is standing on top. Any individual in real life can easily stand at such a moderate speed, so this wind aspect isn't really relevant to my point. In fact, the lesser the speed of the car the better is the shooting range for the player anyways. Its not fun to ride on a fast car as it becomes increasingly difficult to aim and even explore the surrounding areas. That's why I find this feature a lot of fun to play. It has both advantages of exploring like taking a free taxi ride, while also useful during cop chases at lower levels before the helis arrive. They sometimes even try to smash the NPC cars as well. It's possible to get rid of the wanted levels by simply riding on top of a moving vehicle for some time.

Nah. He is guided by the mission designer more than aproif of his abilities or skills. Such moments are basically scripted. Since Niko can't perform many of those "scripted acts" outside the mission cleay proves that he lacks those abilities/skills. What is really shocking is the fact that he can't even stand on a vehicle moving at a snail's pace. It can be clear seen that Niko is finding it difficult to stand without any motion of any part of his body. Based on the animation, Niko's legs appear to be shaking slightly, moving towards the side as if Niko is standing on some slippery slope or something, till he tumbles over the edge and falls off the vehicle.

I don't even find him as a "human" during those moments but more like a ragdoll with no bones inside. Cleay, there's something wrong either in the physics or in his legs that he can't stand properly w/o showing any signs of difficulty, even on a slow moving vehicle.

Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV already has the ability to let the player catch a taxi without them needing to stand on one to get around so that's another reason they didn't bother.

I just think it's hilarious you're getting worked up over something so trivial all because I made a slight mention to CJ. Atleast it's entertaing though. ;)

Am Shaegar

Not really. People criticize about a lot of things in any game. I am simply trying to make a distinction between what's really fun and useful than something as trivial as Niko being able to enter locked doors.

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

Not really. People criticize about a lot of things in any game. I am simply trying to make a distinction between what's really fun and useful than something as trivial as Niko being able to enter locked doors.

Yeah trying except no one cares what you think is fun as its not relevant to the discussion and how is being able to bypass a locked door not useful or trivial?

Thats a pretty handy gameplay mechanic actually yet you keep bogging things down by complaining that Niko cant stand on top of a car like its the focus of the thread.:/

D9fred95

Nah. He is guided by the mission designer more than aproif of his abilities or skills. Such moments are basically scripted. Since Niko can't perform many of those "scripted acts" outside the mission cleay proves that he lacks those abilities/skills.

So... how did he do it then? If he doesn't have the skills then he couldn't have completed the mission. The mission is essential for storyline progress and not optional so it canonically occurred, so it had to have happened. Or did everything that happens after Truck Hustle just exist as a figment of Niko's mind because he couldn't climb the truck?

I must say, one of the weirder points raised in these types of discussions.

Am Shaegar
Posted (edited)

So... how did he do it then?

He did it by relying on a very scripted AI, similar to quick time events.

If he doesn't have the skills then he couldn't have completed the mission. The mission is essential for storyline progress and not optional so it canonically occurred, so it had to have happened. Or did everything that happens after Truck Hustle just exist as a figment of Niko's mind because he couldn't climb the truck?

Then where do those skills/abilities disappear outside the cutscenes and pre-scripted paths? That's the problem with IV. Outside the cutscenes, the player is restricted in many ways, and if you find my points weirder then the blame is on the developers, for not allowing the players to USE those skills/abities in normal gameplay. That's the general idea behind ludonarrative dissonance that irked many fans upon IVs release. Edited by Am Shaegar

D9fred95
Posted (edited)

Like, in-universe how did he do it? Things like QTE's and scripts don't "exist" in-universe. The character just does what they do. For example, in MP3 Max needs to do a QTE to dodge some machete attacks. Was Max pressing buttons in his head or something? In-universe does CJ walk into Sweet's house or does he see a red halo that teleports him in?

Then where do those skills/abilities disappear outside the cutscenes and pre-scripted paths? That's the problem with IV. Outside the cutscenes, the player is restricted in many ways, and if you find my points weirder then the blame is on the developers, for not allowing the players to USE those skills/abities in normal gameplay. That's the general idea behind ludonarrative dissonance that irked many fans upon IVs release.

The devs probably didn't add in the Truck Hustle animations because it would only be useful in an ultra specific circumstance, riding an NPC driven Mule. Otherwise we could ask how Trevor does his "wing ride" in Nervous Ron because you can't do that outside of the mission. We could also say Claude and Tommy don't have the skills to steal occupied police cars since they get insta-busted if they stand near the door whereas the IV/V Trio are kings of properly carjacking cops. Clearly the characters can do these things, the devs just didn't think it was necessary to put them in (in GTA 3/VC's case, engine limitations).

Edited by D9fred95

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

If he doesn't have the skills then he couldn't have completed the mission. The mission is essential for storyline progress and not optional so it canonically occurred, so it had to have happened. Or did everything that happens after Truck Hustle just exist as a figment of Niko's mind because he couldn't climb the truck?

Then where do those skills/abilities disappear outside the cutscenes and pre-scripted paths? That's the problem with IV. Outside the cutscenes, the player is restricted in many ways, and if you find my points weirder then the blame is on the developers, for not allowing the players to USE those skills/abities in normal gameplay. That's the general idea behind ludonarrative dissonance that irked many fans upon IVs release.I can say the same about CJ in Freefall. He can get aboard a plane mid air, but cant do it in free roam. I guess using your logic thats not an exhibition of ability or skill because the game just forgets about it after the mission.

Also comparing the actions Niko does in Truck Hustle to a QTE really makes no sense. You still have to control his actions to scale the truck. If the whole thing was a cutscene then Id agree its not really an exhibition of his skills, but it still requires player input to carry it out regardless if its not used in regular gameplay since it was specifically designed for that mission.

Son of Zeus
Posted (edited)

Then where do those skills/abilities disappear outside the cutscenes and pre-scripted paths? That's the problem with IV. Outside the cutscenes, the player is restricted in many ways, and if you find my points weirder then the blame is on the developers, for not allowing the players to USE those skills/abities in normal gameplay. That's the general idea behind ludonarrative dissonance that irked many fans upon IVs release.I can say the same about CJ in Freefall. He can get aboard a plane mid air, but cant do it in free roam. I guess using your logic thats not an exhibition of ability or skill because the game just forgets about it after the mission.

Also comparing the actions Niko does in Truck Hustle to a QTE really makes no sense. You still have to control his actions to scale the truck. If the whole thing was a cutscene then Id agree its not really an exhibition of his skills, but it still requires player input to carry it out regardless if its not used in regular gameplay since it was specifically designed for that mossion.

Weak argument there mate. SA wasn't a grounded game like IV. So what CJ does in Freefall doesn't really matter. But IV took itself seriously and is the most grounded game in the series...which is why it's odd that he can't do Truck Hustle actions in normal gameplay. Just face it...IV isn't perfect and it's OK to admit it.Another annoying thing was how slowly Niko ran, like an idiot with something heavy stuck in his pants. You'd think a soldier would run faster and smoother. Edited by Son of Zeus

Am Shaegar

Like, in-universe how did he do it? Things like QTE's and scripts don't "exist" in-universe. The character just does what they do.

Disagree. Like I said, Niko was clearly guided by the mission designers. Some of his actions in that mission can be clearly described as "scripted" and not based on his particular abilities to perform those actions naturally without any intervention from the designers, since those actions are not guided by the player's decisions.

Let me explain:

These are the steps highlighted on the screen, and below, to make Niko act in a certain way during the mission that the players are simply supposed to follow as guided by the designers:

- Move to it's rear to grab on the truck

- Make your way to the front of the truck - Tap space repeatedly to pull yourself onto the trucks roof.

- Use W to advance to the front

- Use S to hang on while the truck goes around the corners.

- Use A and D to roll left and right

That should answer your question regarding how Niko performed those acts in-universe, and clearly, QTE's and scripts do exist in the game universe based on the obvious on-screen instructions available during the mission.

That one mission involves so many interesting features of interacting with a moving vehicle that was not allowed for the players to enjoy outside those scripted moments during the game.

The devs probably didn't add in the Truck Hustle animations because it would only be useful in an ultra specific circumstance, riding an NPC driven Mule.

I don't think those are really animations though. It's a simple feature related to how you control Niko on a moving truck, which I do believe can be easily allowed to perform even outside a mission.

Clearly the characters can do these things, the devs just didn't think it was necessary to put them in

But why? I don't see any harm in allowing the player to have access to those simple features like getting prone on the truck, rolling left or right, jumping inside the driver's seat of the truck, etc. It'd have been so cool to enjoy doing these acts giving a good amount of freedom to those so many missions that involve Niko chasing someone's car, without artificially restricting the player by not having some amount of control over Niko in letting them use the characters natural traits -not guided by the designers.

m2AbXt.gif

D9fred95

Disagree. Like I said, Niko was clearly guided by the mission designers. Some of his actions in that mission can be clearly described as "scripted" and not based on his particular abilities to perform those actions naturally without any intervention from the designers, since those actions are not guided by the player's decisions.

Let me explain:

These are the steps highlighted on the screen, and below, to make Niko act in a certain way during the mission that the players are simply supposed to follow as guided by the designers:

- Move to it's rear to grab on the truck

- Make your way to the front of the truck - Tap space repeatedly to pull yourself onto the trucks roof.

- Use W to advance to the front

- Use S to hang on while the truck goes around the corners.

- Use A and D to roll left and right

That should answer your question regarding how Niko performed those acts in-universe, and clearly, QTE's and scripts do exist in the game universe based on the obvious on-screen instructions available during the mission.

That one mission involves so many interesting features of interacting with a moving vehicle that was not allowed for the players to enjoy outside those scripted moments during the game.

So in-universe Niko has objectives in his mind that tell him to defy his skills and do wild things that he can't physically do?

Keep in mind when I say "in-universe" it's what the characters experience in their own world devoid of our reality. For the V Trio, Los Santos is the city they live within, they have no idea what a "Los Angeles" is. They see Vapid, they don't recognize Ford. Does Franklin see a little box telling him "changing a radio station requires this button"? Does Franklin know what a weapon wheel is? Do the V Trio see a box saying "would you like to buy this?" when approaching purchasable property? I highly doubt it, unless Trevor's been huffing gasoline again. We see the boxes because without instructions we end up with stuff like "Hunt Down the Freeman" where the player scratches their head about what they're supposed to do because the game never explained anything.

It's their world, everything they do is something they chose to do or had an idea or worked on. No box told them to. Might as well say they have no skills to speak of since we're the ones controlling them.

The devs probably didn't add in the Truck Hustle animations because it would only be useful in an ultra specific circumstance, riding an NPC driven Mule.

I don't think those are really animations though. It's a simple feature related to how you control Niko on a moving truck, which I do believe can be easily allowed to perform even outside a mission.

Clearly the characters can do these things, the devs just didn't think it was necessary to put them in

But why? I don't see any harm in allowing the player to have access to those simple features like getting prone on the truck, rolling left or right, jumping inside the driver's seat of the truck, etc. It'd have been so cool to enjoy doing these acts giving a good amount of freedom to those so many missions that involve Niko chasing someone's car, without artificially restricting the player by not having some amount of control over Niko in letting them use the characters natural traits -not guided by the designers.

Maybe they couldn't for one reason or another or it was planned and scrapped. Perhaps the animations were only designed for NPC-Mules or the Mule we hijack has some sort of unique tag with it. Neither of us really know why for certain and I doubt we will ever really know for sure. But my guess is that Niko had the ability to do this but considering it's unique situation was not added anywhere else. Dunno how many times the writers could have Niko ride on top of vehicles before it would get silly.

Personally though I'd love to ride on top of vehicles in GTA games again, it's something that's been missing since VCS.

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

Then where do those skills/abilities disappear outside the cutscenes and pre-scripted paths? That's the problem with IV. Outside the cutscenes, the player is restricted in many ways, and if you find my points weirder then the blame is on the developers, for not allowing the players to USE those skills/abities in normal gameplay. That's the general idea behind ludonarrative dissonance that irked many fans upon IVs release.
I can say the same about CJ in Freefall. He can get aboard a plane mid air, but cant do it in free roam. I guess using your logic thats not an exhibition of ability or skill because the game just forgets about it after the mission.

Also comparing the actions Niko does in Truck Hustle to a QTE really makes no sense. You still have to control his actions to scale the truck. If the whole thing was a cutscene then Id agree its not really an exhibition of his skills, but it still requires player input to carry it out regardless if its not used in regular gameplay since it was specifically designed for that mossion.

Weak argument there mate. SA wasn't a grounded game like IV. So what CJ does in Freefall doesn't really matter. But IV took itself seriously and is the most grounded game in the series...which is why it's odd that he can't do Truck Hustle actions in normal gameplay. Just face it...IV isn't perfect and it's OK to admit it.Another annoying thing was how slowly Niko ran, like an idiot with something heavy stuck in his pants. You'd think a soldier would run faster and smoother.

That's a piss poor excuse and you know it.

And of course GTA IV isn't perfect. No game is after all.

Jack Lupino

Atleast my comment has some relevance to this thread. CJ even has experience stealing cars so the thought of him not being to steal a locked convertible with its roof down when he can easily hop over the door is just retarded. I don't care whether other 3D era GTAs had the same issue. It should've been fixed by the time of San Andreas so thankfully by GTA IV it was. Maybe Niko can't stand on top of moving cars, but he can steal locked cars no problem. However the real point I was trying to get across before the Osho sibling decided to grace his presence is the thought of any character (protagonist or not) not being able to get into a locked car for whatever reason really makes no sense. It's difficult to get arrested in GTA V (GTA IV too) anyway so I really don't see the point.

Actually CJ did have the ability to break glass window and steal a locked car in the beta version.

But it was cut from final version for some unknown reasons.

And locked cars are rare in San Andreas so its not really a big issue.

Also comparing the actions Niko does in Truck Hustle to a QTE really makes no sense. You still have to control his actions to scale the truck. If the whole thing was a cutscene then Id agree its not really an exhibition of his skills, but it still requires player input to carry it out regardless if its not used in regular gameplay since it was specifically designed for that mission.

Cmon now you are telling me jumping from one plane to another on sky should have been a normal feature :turn:

Even if it were possible to do how many people do you think could land peferctly?

Am Shaegar

As Jack Lupino rightly pointed out - Same reason why locking yourself inside the car wouldn't be really useful since not many players (i think) will find this as the best approach to avoid getting busted. Similarly, jumping from one plane to another, or locking inside a car is a simple enough task to warrant an entire separate feature from the perspective of usefulness, unlike moving on a vehicle (and even jumping from one car to another) has real usefulness in game for making those chase missions much more fun and interesting, since the player can be given multiple options to utilize the skill of moving around the vehicle by taking down the driver, or planting a bomb on the car to destroy the target, or hanging around the sides and then jumping over another car, if the mission demands, etc. None of these seems to be important in eyes of Rockstar is what really disappoints me.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

How about a compromise.

Can we all just agree that things that happen in certain cut scenes or Quick-Time Events that the protagonists pull off are not always practical free roam gameplay additions, whatever the argument is? Some of the things that the characters do in these mini cut scenes may, in fact, be difficult to add to the everyday activities list of the protagonists because of limitations in developing. And this is true, I believe, for all GTA games, and not exclusive to any one of them.

Some examples:

In the final mission of BoGT, Luis needs to get onto that plane, BUT you only have to follow the plane and stay within the little pink marker to trigger the game to do the heavy lifting for you in a mini cut scene. This is similar to CJ boarding the plane in Stowaway by driving up the open ramp. Some of the other examples in this thread have Niko and other GTA characters doing things that the player cannot simply do in free roam. I really have no idea why this is an argument. Just accept that some things are more practical to be left in one or two missions in very limited situations. Why not just leave it at that?

As much as I hate IV, even I am having a difficult time with the mental gymnastics and hoop-jumping necessary for making some Pro-V and Anti-IV argument out of this topic.

As for the thread topic, can't we just accept that the player CANNOT lock car doors against cops trying to arrest them, and that this is NOT something that needs any absurd notion of realism to justify? Here's the reason cops can arrest you in a car and why you can't simply lock the car door: Because then the games would make it TOO EASY to avoid arrest, and let's be honest here, from III all the way through V and all the games in between, its already easy enough to avoid being arrested.

See, this is why I HATE realism in videogames. Because it makes people bend over like contortionists to try and justify something whose only justification should be, Just because!

Edited by ChiroVette

DirtCheap

Judging by the nature of all the GTA protagonists, if they ended up getting surrounded after a high-speed chase, the first thing they would do is reverse the hell out of there, not sit patiently in the car awaiting to be arrested. And if they do just sit the car, locking the car won't be much use seeing how trigger-happy the police are in GTA V.