Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,839 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Interface

Swimming and Diving in RDR2

Interface

Does anybody hope that we will be able to swim in RDR2 (or neven dive, but that's not necessary IMO)? In RDR1 I hated the circumstance that you insta-died when you fell into the water. I think swimming is a large opportunity for that game that should not be left out.

Thoughts on that?

philley

I think they left it out due to I DO NOT KNOW WHY THEY LEFT IT! :D

It was just stupid, but maybe because cowboys do not/can not swim, they ride horses. :)

Hopefully it will be in this time. But if we are able to use boats/canoes, most likely swimming will be featured.

joshua969

With the amount of water in the map, it sure would come in handy if we could swim. If not, they'll probably implement plenty of little bridges to make traversal less of a nightmare.

BUT THE BENZ

I don't see why not, well maybe because the BENZ? but I don't know....it wouldn't be difficult to simply write the code and just ADD the mechanics I guess...since it's merely a different control scheme for the player, underwater. "extra polishing" should include that feature, unless it's not already in there. they could make heavy-water abusers pay a toll by not letting the guns work before the rounds got dry again etc

The Algerian

I don't see why not, well maybe because the BENZ? but I don't know....it wouldn't be difficult to simply write the code and just ADD the mechanics I guess...since it's merely a different control scheme for the player, underwater. "extra polishing" should include that feature, unless it's not already in there. they could make heavy-water abusers pay a toll by not letting the guns work before the rounds got dry again etc

Here you go, you might like this:

Jon Jon
Posted (edited)

We have yet to see actual swimming in any trailer or screenshot for the game so far. The closest thing we have seen to swimming, is the canoe from the first trailer and Arthur and the other two men walking out of the water at night in the third trailer. It could very well be just like the first game where you will die instantly if you are neck deep in water but will survive and be able to walk through the water if it's shallow enough.

We don't know and we won't know until we see swimming either in a trailer or screenshot or when we get our hands on the game ourselves on release day.

Edited by Jon Jon

Jimmy Darmody

Was it common for late XIX century to early XX century folk from rural United States to know how to swim?

Probably not.

Hence Arthur shouldn't know how to swim. Even though its kind of a loss to the game.

Am Shaegar

I am pretty sure the character(s) can swim, if not necessarily dive, just like IV. But, I doubt it's going to be anything interesting besides ...you know just swim around the waters, unlike the detailed underwater world of V.

AGNT009

Nothing wrong with the logic of saying Arthur can swim and dive for his game, and Marston cant swim at all. I even expect a joke to be made about Marstons inability to swim.

Jon Jon

Nothing wrong with the logic of saying Arthur can swim and dive for his game, and Marston cant swim at all. I even expect a joke to be made about Marstons inability to swim.

xTgNhkd.jpg

SherifWayne

I hope they leave swimming (Or at least diving) out. So much wasted development on the underwater which I have probably spent 0.0001 percent of my playtime exploring in GTAV. I would much rather have many interiors than underwater or even swimming. I was so happy when R* said they're focusing on many interiors because that was one of my big gripes with V's map. I wanna be able to have gunfights in random houses and banks and shops etc, hide from cops in buildings in New Bordeaux. I don't care about diving. Swimming on the surface of water is fine though.

Does anybody hope that we will be able to swim in RDR2 (or neven dive, but that's not necessary IMO)? In RDR1 I hated the circumstance that you insta-died when you fell into the water. I think swimming is a large opportunity for that game that should not be left out.

Thoughts on that?

DexMacLeod

There's too much damn water on that map for it to be an insta-death thing again, I think. I can't think of a game where I really enjoyed the underwater portions enough that I'd miss them if they were gone but just being able to swim across rivers is a must for me.

I'd hate to have to go out of my way to a bridge (of which there aren't many on the leaked map) or find a boat just to continue on my journey. It was one of the things that really hurt the replay value of Redemption for me.

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)

I think they way they treated swimming in VIce City Stories was a good idea. Victor could swim for a little while, but he'd eventually run out of stamina and drown. I think if they did something like that, swimming could work

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

MARKUS.

Well, RDR1 was meant to have swimming feature but it was not implemented due to bug and other development issues. RDR development was a nightmare, so it's very likely that we can swim in RDR2

Shadowfennekin

I sure hope we can swim. What's the point of all that water if we can't swim?

Insta-death just pissed me off

thc_404

If John Marston is a PC, I hope the preserve continuity by making us unable to swim when we play as him. That would show some attention to detail.

tsto

It should be implemented. They're going for the most immersive game they've ever made and I don't see how they could do that without at least the ability to cross rivers and such without any assistance.

Dr.Rosenthal

It would surprise me if we cant swim. In the past, from what I understand swimming (more accurately swimming AND diving) wasnt implemented because of limitations or simply because R* didnt feel the need to put resources into making it. For GTAIV we could swim but it could more easily be explained away in RDR, since few people could swim back then. But that all changed since GTAV and it would be stupid of R* to take a step back in that regard.

Although, since we probably wont have submarines, scuba suits or rebreathers (saying PROBABLY since I still cant shake off the picture of laser-shooting Unicorns in my head), they dont have to make the seabed as detailed for RDR2 as in GTAV. Which really is all the more reason for them to let us swim and maybe dive in shallower waters but then just make the open waters really deep.

SherifWayne

I hope we cant go underwater. Please dont waste resources on a boring as heck underwater instead of enterable buildings R*.

Cheatz/Trickz

I think swimming will be in, but probably no umderwater gameplay, that proved pretty pointless in V.

Grizzy

I wouldn't mind surface swimming at all.

SDJ

Swimming is the reason we wont play as John again :D

B_E_N_1992

Maybe we can paddle in the water, very slowly and we drown after 15 seconds or something

RiverGhost

Swimming is the reason we wont play as John again :D

If swimming is in they could slip a nice easter egg in of Arthur suggesting they swim somewhere and John refusing cos he can't swim.

Piggsy pls

It'll be stupid if we can't swim again, I don't care if it's "realistic for the time period" (lazy excuse). Don't care for diving though, the underwater world was largely wasted space in GTA V.

slohbur

I'm not confident we'll be able to swim.

Judging from the screens we got so far, the water seems very shallow in every scene, and the character's clothes are still dry from the waist up (this, ofc, could be just in that area).

The screen with the bear also seems to have some rocks that could prevent the player from going further, but this is just me speculating.

trailer_screen10.jpg

Q3s6Hpl.png

nGZd6Os.png

sTUMJpV.png

Thor Shreddington

I have a feeling we'll be able to swim, just based on how much water is on the map. I can understand cowboys in the old west not being able to swim, though. Probably wasn't a common skill back then.