3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
TheWetPartoftheArm

Friends Activities?

TheWetPartoftheArm

One of GTA V's features I loved was the ability to call one of your "friends" and go out with them, either to a specific place for a specific activity or to randomly drive/walk around and chat. It created a great opportunity to bond with them and learn more about their backstories and personalities. Since there appears to be an emphasis on bonding with your fellow gang members, I wonder if they'll bring this back for RDR2 in some shape or form.

Now we won't be able to call anyone up in RDR2 for obvious reasons, but I would love it if we could go to the base camp and pick a random member of the gang and go somewhere with them that *isn't directly tied to a main mission or side quest*. I wanna take Sadie to a firebreathing woman show, or hunting, or maybe go start a bar room brawl with her as my sidekick and watch her whoop some ass. Then maybe if there's a romance between her and Arthur (which I'm hoping for), go on a twisted Wild West style "date" involving all sorts of crazy sh*t. All the while listening to her tell some stories or jokes, or just having interesting/amusing/illuminating conversations with her like we did with GTA V's characters.

What do you think?

EOL_92

They mentioned in the previews that members of the camp would ask you for help with their daily tasks sometimes (e.g.the cook asking for you to get him meat) so we'll have that atleast but yes I too hope that we can just hang out in the open world and do activities like poker, horseshoes, hunting etc. with our gang members, all adds to the immersion!

SherifWayne

I recall hearing something along the lines of "Robberies aren't unique to main missions, you'll be able to do them whenever you want while free roaming, but don't try them alone or you'll probably die, so bring a gang member with you" from one of the previews. I think it was the French one? Either way I hope we'll be able to hang with John at least. I can see myself spending hours hunting deer with John at my side.

Mr_Rager

I loved friend activities in IV, because you would learn so much about the characters. How the war tore apart Niko and his family, Packie and his troubling past with his father. Personally I feel like they weren't necessary in RDR, as the story felt like it didn't have time to stop for friend activities. Maybe you can play poker at camp and hear additional dialogue and it won't be necessary to have the feature.

Miamivicecity

I hate this side mission of hanging out with friends, and then play stupid minigames that quickly become boring. Now, I am not against the idea behind the opportunity to partake in activities, just don't include minigames, but instead that involves crime related activities like robbing a bank, taking over enemy territories, etc.

It's not even a "side mission" and I don't see what's wrong with blending some minigames and some more illicit type of activities. It's not so hard to have both is it? Minigames provide good escapism and there's no reason they should be removed.

The gambling minigames, horseshoes, five finger fillet etc were loads of fun in RDR and helped flesh out the game world beyond just random chaos. Similar to the GTA series.

Given how detailed R* make their game worlds now it would be disappointing to see locations such as saloons be stripped back where the only thing you could do is walk around inside and nothing else. I get not everyone likes minigames, but being "boring" is hardly a good reason for them not to be there.

Anyway with regards to friends I'm surprised RDR didn't capitalise on it really considering how well it was fleshed out in GTA IV. It would've been hilarious to take out Seth or Irish drinking. I suppose it's not absolutely necessary, but even gunslingers/outlaws need some down time.

tsto

I hate this side mission of hanging out with friends, and then play stupid minigames that quickly become boring. Now, I am not against the idea behind the opportunity to partake in activities, just don't include minigames, but instead that involves crime related activities like robbing a bank, taking over enemy territories, etc.

How about both? Minigames and crime related activities? Why can't we have it all?

Cutter De Blanc

Anyway with regards to friends I'm surprised RDR didn't capitalise on it really considering how well it was fleshed out in GTA IV. It would've been hilarious to take out Seth or Irish drinking. I suppose it's not absolutely necessary, but even gunslingers/outlaws need some down time.

To be fair the narrative of the first game didn't really allow John any down time to be drinking with Irish or Seth. He was trying to get his family back. It might be more appropriate here.

Miamivicecity

Sorry, I don't believe that minigames are an essential part, or even the best way, for fleshing out a given world and immerse the players in the stories. You are simply playing a game of dice, poker or whatever else that you are spending time with, not really adding anything meaningful. If I really need a break from the whole chaos and routine shootouts and crimes, then I will simply quit the game and take an actual break, instead of wasting time over minigames.

I'm not saying to bloat the game with minigames, but the quantity seen in RDR is more than adequate and I'm sure most people would agree. In fact I'm playing through RDR atm and it's a nice and comforting thought that I can easily just drop everything I'm doing to play a round of poker, blackjack, liar's dice etc. The minigames have more benefits than just killing time for a few minutes. They're alternative ways of making money and some of them are used to unlock special outfits.

But as I said there's really no reason to eliminate them entirely. I'm all up for seeing some more bank robberies, gang hideouts etc. I would just prefer them to co-exist along side some relatively harmless minigames is all.

SneakyDeaky
Posted (edited)

I don't believe that minigames are an essential part, or even the best way, for fleshing out a given world and immerse the players in the stories. You are simply playing a game of dice, poker or whatever else that you are spending time with, not really adding anything meaningful

Why should I play a western game just to experience a minigame as a side activity than actually experience something more important and exciting about the time the game is set?

There are better ways to flesh out the world through side tasks or activities that doesn't necessarily involve shooting or killings, but still relevant to involve crime of some kind of that time, while still useful in progressing the story.

Numerous gunfights in saloons from the myths and legends of the Wild West involved people shooting eachother over cards. in real life Wild Bill Hickok was shot in the head from behind as he played poker. Here's a small article on gambling in the Wild West https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-poker/

So card games and gambling games in general are a small but vital part of recreating that world. So is horse breaking, which was a mini-game. So was dueling, which was a mini-game. And don't forget the things we put into the "Side Activities" category, like animal and treasure hunting which basically serve the same function of giving you an activity you can sink time in outside of the main story.

I am 100% positive that if Rockstar neglected all these mini-games and activities in RDR, the game would not nearly feel as fleshed out as it does. These elements add to the time and place of this world immensely.

It sounds like you like constant action and intensity and that's fine. You can ignore all those mini-games and boring activities and focus on the gang hideouts and main missions ect;, but to say they don't flesh out the world doesn't seem fair to me.

Edited by SneakyDeaky

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

Sorry, I don't believe that minigames are an essential part, or even the best way, for fleshing out a given world and immerse the players in the stories. You are simply playing a game of dice, poker or whatever else that you are spending time with, not really adding anything meaningful. If I really need a break from the whole chaos and routine shootouts and crimes, then I will simply quit the game and take an actual break, instead of wasting time over minigames.

There are examples of games that offer great stories and flesh out the world without this silly minigames added. Why should I play a western game just to experience a minigame as a side activity than actually experience something more important and exciting about the time the game is set?

Do you guys play minigames in real-life just to know more about a person whom you are dating or meeting for the first time?

There are better ways to flesh out the world through side tasks or activities that doesn't necessarily involve shooting or killings, but still relevant to involve crime of some kind of that time, while still useful in progressing the story.

That was one of the issues with RDR 1, a good portion of the story missions revolved around running boring errands that I thought were embarrassing even for a wastern game. I expected much better activities that unfortunately come late in the game and come in limited doses, something I wish RDR 2 addresses by not focusing less on minigames and more on actual hardcore tough and exciting jobs that any fan of the genre would want to experience in the game.

Your way of seeing it is whats to blaim for all that is wrong with GTAO today; action-junkies who wants to shoot their way through every bit of every game. Its sickening really..

The game world should allow for different ways of playing the game. I for one really enjoy a minigame every now and then. I want to play the game as if I was Arthur Morgan and roleplay as being him in his real life.

GTAO is already completely corrupted by focus on fast-paced action and big explosions. Stop feeding R* with these stupid ideas. You dont wanna play poker or liars dice? Fine, dont then.

I for one am going to buy the paper from the street vendor and read through the news stories and really immerse myself in every part of the story to make it feel like Im really there, alive in that world.. but that requires a bit of imagination, something a lot of players today seem to lack completely.

Players these days... R* games without side activities is like fries without a burger ffs

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

I think I get what youre aiming at. I also hope they flesh out the game world, and judging by the previews it sounds like they have. Also that theyre working towards a more seamless experience when it comes to side quests and such..

I hope that they put more effort into side activities, sort of like The Witcher had. Oftentimes I feel like the most memorable quests/jobs are those that sort of make you think What the hell did I just do and how did that relate to this games overall story arc? Like the Strange man for example.

I just want a plethora of stuff to do I guess, and I just hope that they keep those funny and weird little side activities and dont put all the focus on crime and gunplay. And as I said, I think sitting down at the poker table is a great way to add to the game. But youre right in that replayability can be a problem.

I loved playing Gwent in the Witcher 3.

And sorry for strafing a bit from the subject... OnT I believe, and hope that R* will let us take members of the gang with us to various side activities. From what Ive read from the previews I think we are in luck.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

SneakyDeaky

I think to somewhat bring a new twist to the gambling games would be to allow us to gamble with the gang, not just strangers in the world like the first RDR.

This could cause a lot of tension between you and a few of the members of the gang, perhaps becoming a topic of discussion when you interact with them, so in that sense you are getting "feedback" from the mini-game itself that affects the world around you, instead of it just being a way to waste time and make in-game money.

Cutter De Blanc

Hopefully they wont just put the minigames in online only

pjw

I hope we can go bowling.

Jon Jon

I wonder if we could take the whole gang with us or only a limited number.

Synthetic_Soul
Posted (edited)

I think to somewhat bring a new twist to the gambling games would be to allow us to gamble with the gang, not just strangers in the world like the first RDR.

This could cause a lot of tension between you and a few of the members of the gang, perhaps becoming a topic of discussion when you interact with them, so in that sense you are getting "feedback" from the mini-game itself that affects the world around you, instead of it just being a way to waste time and make in-game money.

*Arthur wins $600 dollars from Bill Williamson in a hand of poker.*

*Bill will remember that!*

*Arthur while planning a heist* "Hey Bill, listen I'm planning on robbing the bank up in Valentine, Im going in low key so I really need you to come along and meet be out back with some horses."

Bill: "sure thing Artie, you can count on me like a dentist counts on cavities!"

*After the robbery we see a hurried Arthur emerge from the back door of the bank, bag of money in hand while the bank manager runs from the front shouting "sherriff!"

Arthur quickly realizes that there is no bill Williamson in sight and no horses. Looking around for an escape route he notices a poorly written note hanging from a tree branch by a piece of rawhide. It reads:

Deer Artihr, lets cee dem fan C card playin skills get yiu outta dis 1

Best Regards, Bill.

Edited by Synthetic_Soul