2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Alex2213

Anyone know if the physics are back to how they were?

~INDIO~

Yet again you've misunderstood the point. Maybe you're just using my post to launch into a completely tangential rant, but I am not defending V's physics and that should be obvious from context if you just read all my posts here. This was all in reply to O.Z saying that V's physics were intentionally simplified to appeal to casual players. I said that apart from the driving, that doesn't make sense, because most casual players wouldn't really notice the difference and none of them would be put off by more ragdolling to the point that they'd not buy the game. You said that more players on forums are complaining, and I replied that pepple on forums aren't casual gamers (which is true basically by definition).

In other words, this entire tragic conversational dead end has only happened because I was trying to encourage someone to take off his tin foil hat and consider what he was saying. As I've already said elsewhere here, I personally want more RDR-style physics, and if we get them, I think casual players will either like them or not even notice the difference. But I disagree that anyone posting here is a good representative sample of casual GTA players. Just the fact that we care enough to register for this forum indicates that we aren't casual at all.

You have way too much time on your hands.

Not really. I just type fast, and get annoyed at people who won't bother to read and understand the conversation before they pull one quote and jump on somebody's ass.

I did read it. You should really cut the sh*t out though, saves time for everybody. Although you wouldn't have much left then

pjw
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if anyone has discussed this clip before, but I thought it might be worth posting here: a guy being pistol whipped, and the subsequent ragdoll effect (assuming it's not a static animation, which I think is a fair assumption). Not much, but hopefully it will spark some discussion.

QWyR2ka.gif

...and the same clip at half the speed...

9tlplsq.gif

I guess it could be part of a cutscene, but I get the feeling this is gameplay from a mission. The walking animation of the guy on the right reminds me of the walking animation in RDR. 

Is it worth posting this in the RDR2 Discussion Thread too? 

Edited by pjw

PvTails
Posted (edited)

I'll just like take my own personal opinion on this topic

I'm not particularly a big fan of the older euphoria physics from IV or RDR in a gameplay perspective and a bit of realism.

And what I mean gameplay I am referring to how annoying how your character will constantly stay ragdolled for too long as if the ground was made out of ice.

GTA V may seem like a downgrade for sure but in the gameplay perspective it's a lot more refined and it's little more accurate in the real world.

Weapons may give out a punch but depending on the shape and speed of the projectile it will simply pierce through the body. And if your falling of vehicle 

there should be more friction involved (depends on material) so like the clip of the dude falling into the grass seems accurate as it's possibly wet.

tldr: old ragdolls are little to exaggerated.

Edited by PvTails

thc_404
On 6/13/2018 at 12:44 AM, pjw said:

I'm not sure if anyone has discussed this clip before, but I thought it might be worth posting here: a guy being pistol whipped, and the subsequent ragdoll effect (assuming it's not a static animation, which I think is a fair assumption). Not much, but hopefully it will spark some discussion.

QWyR2ka.gif

...and the same clip at half the speed...

9tlplsq.gif

I guess it could be part of a cutscene, but I get the feeling this is gameplay from a mission. The walking animation of the guy on the right reminds me of the walking animation in RDR. 

Is it worth posting this in the RDR2 Discussion Thread too? 

Looks good to me. But then again, GTA V having sh*tty ragdoll wasn't a complaint of mine.

DexMacLeod

Yeah, characters certainly look like they have a pretty realistic weight to them which means they're probably more like GTA V. If they were like GTA IV and Redemption that guy would have hit the ground and bounced like five feet off camera.

pjw
4 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Yeah, characters certainly look like they have a pretty realistic weight to them which means they're probably more like GTA V. If they were like GTA IV and Redemption that guy would have hit the ground and bounced like five feet off camera.

Haha, indeed. I thought the ragdoll physics of GTA IV and RDR were fun, but they were certainly over the top. Anyone who thinks they were "realistic" is kidding themselves.

pjw

Ultimately, I did prefer the combat of RDR to that of GTA V, but it wasn't just because of the physics engine. Personally, what I preferred about the combat in RDR over GTA V was the level of brutality, like how head shots left exit wounds and shooting someone in the gut caused them writhe around in pain and ultimately bleed out, sometimes while crawling away. The guns in RDR felt better too, the way they looked and sounded, they felt more powerful. Those things were just as important to the overall feel of the combat as the ragdoll physics in my opinion and it's those things I'm hoping to see again in RDR2, as well as a robust, more realistic physics engine. 

Unfiltered Marston

As long as the combat is brutal, and the physics are accurate then I’ll be one happy camper, along with the rest of the gang.

O.Z

The physics will most likely be watered down compared to the RDR, but the game will still rock

~INDIO~
On 6/16/2018 at 8:36 PM, DexMacLeod said:

That's ridiculous, V's gunplay sucks balls. It's like shooting someone with a plastic bbgun😂 Super fun!! Not

PvTails
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 10:20 AM, ~INDIO~ said:

That's ridiculous, V's gunplay sucks balls. It's like shooting someone with a plastic bbgun😂 Super fun!! Not

It's just as ridiculous as the weapons that shoot cannon balls In IV/RDR. 

Also don't take my video below to seriously

Edited by PvTails

Spider-Vice

^ No youtube tags needed anymore. Just post the link and it will embed itself.

PvTails

I haven't broken the habit of embed haha.

anthony
Posted (edited)

but in the gameplay perspective it's a lot more refined and it's little more accurate in the real world.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

but they were certainly over the top. Anyone who thinks they were "realistic" is kidding themselves.

GTA 4 and RDR euphoria are close to how the human body react to gunshot wounds, motorcycles crashes, staircases fall etc, more than GTA 5 could ever be. 

You guys should check out shootouts and bikes crashes videos because you clearly have a false picture of it.

Edited by anthony

Miamivicecity

All I want is for the NPCs to stumble when being shot like GTA IV and RDR. Not that bullet sponge sh*t from GTA V.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Reaction to bullet is more accurate in GTA 4.however in terms of bailing from cars and motorcycle crashes GTA 5 is more accurate. Sure GTA 4 looks more fun but no. Human body isn't made of plastic to go meters up the ground at a crash. 

Edited by TheSantader25

PvTails
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, anthony said:

I believe I do and I have seen war tapes and shoot-outs on the internet. Which I assume these guys have high concentrations of epinephrine in thier system, they won't be feeling a thing in the heat of the moment.

I'm just pointing out that the older games before Max Payne 3 and V are WAY over the top when it comes to how npc's react to damage.       

Also my main point was more towards the player itself then the npc's , your character would lose his balance and sometimes get stuck in drunk mode from getting push by a vehicle. Which was fixed in Max Payne 3.

And I'm gonna say it again I do agree that V has pretty mediocre gunplay that lacks proper recoil, the (Maxed out stats removes it )  but the ragdolling isn't the problem. The problem is that npc's die way before the engine starts kicking in. 

but sometimes the engine gives us results like these 

Edited by PvTails

~INDIO~
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 7:49 PM, PvTails said:

It's just as ridiculous as the weapons that shoot cannon balls In IV/RDR. 

Also don't take my video below to seriously

Cannon balls😂 Talk about over exaggeration. Guns are powerful and people react to bullets being fired at them. Not like someone has just spat a pea at their chest😀 But if you think that's realistic there's not much else I can do for you lol

Also, play RDR again. Seems like you've forgotten😉

Edited by ~INDIO~
Morons

anthony
Posted (edited)

I'm just pointing out that the older games before Max Payne 3 and V are WAY over the top when it comes to how npc's react to damage

MFddJT.gif

etfVWH.gif

Edited by anthony

PvTails
Posted (edited)

You kinda forgot to include the playable character and the occasional slingshot bugs that occur often, like crashing a bike and getting sent hundreds of feet in the air.

I'm just kidding , they both do it in a way.

but V put it's resources in places not related to physics like cops will sometimes drag fallen comrades into safe cover for example.

I did notice that cops no longer freely fire during ragdoll from your last gif though.

Edited by PvTails

anthony
Posted (edited)

The only reason the NPC's in your video does not directly fall and die on the ground after being shot it's because they all wear a vest.

And even still their movements and reaction are not correct by Euphoria standard.

Edited by anthony

Shane_Dbns
Posted (edited)

-

Edited by Shane_Dbns

DexMacLeod

I'd like V's more weighty physics with Redemption's reaction to bullets, myself. I'm not all that concerned with the combat physics though, honestly. In every comparison video the uploader always has to turn on God mode and attack people from really close up to even really showcase their reactions to bullets. That doesn't accurately reflect how I've ever played a Rockstar game.

Me, I'm usually shooting at guys who are at least 30 yards away and half tucked behind cover so I don't really ever see them grab a wound or whatever. They just fall behind cover and either get back up or they don't. I'm hoping the enemy AI improvement for Redemption 2 means we finally get some decent stealth and it will be even less important. I'll just be sneaking up on guys and one shotting them in the head.

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

I’m considering playing through RDR2 on free aim, can anyone remind me how the ”standard” aim settings in RDR worked, because I can’t remember? It was some form of assisted aim, right? And of course Dead Eye but anyways..

I always feel that playing GTAV with free aim makes the gunplay feel a little more realistic, apart from the recoil and ”punch” from the guns still feel pretty tame. But still, what I’m having most trouble with in GTAV is how if you aim at an NPC and hold down the trigger, your entire magazine will empty within a 10 cm area in the middle of the target’s chest. Which amplifies the ”bullet spongy” feeling of the NPC’s, almost like they’re small black holes that just suck stuff to the center of them.

Playing on free aim gives much more bullet spead which in turn increases realism a little bit in my opinion, for example, if you shoot at a cop hiding behind a car door you’ll hit the window, rear view mirror, sirens, glass will shatter etcetera. Not just ”bbrrrrrrrt - thump” every time.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Relax.
15 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

can anyone remind me how the ”standard” aim settings in RDR worked, because I can’t remember? It was some form of assisted aim, right?

yeah it's like free-aim assisted in GTA V where it's free aim but with a little assist 

Mach1bud
4 hours ago, Relax. said:

yeah it's like free-aim assisted in GTA V where it's free aim but with a little assist 

Yeah I am playing through again right now and that's how I would describe it.

It's like a really weak auto aim. Perfect for myself.

Also I am enjoying the physics, I used to not notice this kinda stuff but the forums have really helped me notice how awesome they really are.

Unfiltered Marston

I remember watching (Life in the West) gameplay  series on RDR back in early 2010 , and the narrator describing how Rockstar’s advanced game engine (RAGE) coupled with Natural Motions Euphoria physics engine ,synthesis’s real player movement , and enemies will carry out the true momentum of a gunshot . I remember being blown away and absolutely hyped for that game because at the time it was next level sh*t . I hope to be impressed to a similar extent this October! 10/26/18*

pjw
On 6/19/2018 at 6:40 AM, anthony said:

GTA 4 and RDR euphoria are close to how the human body react to gunshot wounds, motorcycles crashes, staircases fall etc, more than GTA 5 could ever be. 

You guys should check out shootouts and bikes crashes videos because you clearly have a false picture of it.

Having watched the videos you shared, I must concede that on reflection the physics of GTA IV do seem in many respects to be more realistic than those of GTA V: bodies seem to move more naturally and are less rigid than in GTA V.  While I have been playing Red Dead Redemption recently I haven't played GTA IV in some time, so RDR was fresh in my mind when I made that original comment but GTA IV was not. I'd forgotten that the physics of the two games are actually quite different, and really should've stuck to talking about RDR.

I still maintain that the physics of RDR are not especially realistic. Don't get me wrong, I love the physics of RDR. I think that as a consequence of the OTT ragdoll physics (and other factors such as the levels of gore) it has the most entertaining gunplay of any open world R* game, but the physics are nonetheless OTT. Case in point: shooting someone in the chest with a shotgun in RDR would often cause them to do a full back flip! I love it, it's incredibly entertaining, but not realistic. And given that it seems with RDR2, Rockstar are trying to create their most immersive and realistic world yet, I wouldn't expect the physics to be as they were in RDR. I'm expecting something more subtle than what we saw in RDR but more natural and less rigid than what we saw in GTA V. Perhaps something more akin to Max Payne 3, as some of those who saw the previews have claimed. 

Can't wait till we get to see the gameplay trailer, then we'll know for sure (if they show enough!). I'm sure we'll be analysing the heck out of it and cross referencing footage of RDR2 with footage from other R* games. :)

Cutter De Blanc

Was playing Undead Nightmare awhile back and I had forgotten how blasting someone with the catleman revolver a few times sent them flying across the f*cking street. Maybe if they could tone that down a little.

PvTails

This is what I was talking about by over exaggeration.