1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Alex2213

Anyone know if the physics are back to how they were?

MARKUS.

Who knows maybe the pick up Roman's voice actor again for doing death sounds again as GTA V (7:27)

P.S: Sounds like Roman to me

Matrelith
Posted (edited)

The gaming websites that got to play the 45-minute demo didn't mention anything about the physics, which is probably a good thing.

Quite the opposite, if something, they'd have commented about it and complimented it, like they did with the graphics, but they didn't.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me physics in gaming is something you only really notice if there's something wrong with it, when it breaks your immersion. Say for example you shoot a guy in the knee and he falls over realistically, your mind will be ''yes, that makes sense'' and you continue playing. However should you shoot him and he makes an unnatural movement, that sticks by you, and in the case of a reviewer (s)he'd most likely make a comment about it in a preview (''The game looked great, but was a bit rough around the edges'').

Edited by Matrelith

zuckmeslow

i seriously hope the physics will be at the level of IV/RDR or Max payne 3. anything like gta v physics then it will be a massive disappointment. i still to this day have no idea how they messed up the physics in gta v. its almost like they deleted euphoria from the game completely.

this is what red dead redemption 2 needs

O.Z

Rockstar won't implement the Euphoria engine anymore... Unfortunately

Mas u Sees

Where did you get that from?

GTA V used Euphoria as well.

Rockstar has their own modified inhouse version of Euphoria.

Nutduster

We'll hopefully get information about the physics over the summer. This 45 minute preview probably didn't give them a lot to go on in that arena, especially if the devs didn't make a point to talk about it. I definitely want to see something more like the original game than like GTA V.

Grizzy

They won't implement Euphoria anymore? What're you talking about lolol

Lock n' Stock
Posted (edited)

Even to this day, I can't get my head around why GTA V's physics were nerfed, there was simply no reason for it whatsoever. And the "console limitations" argument is bullsh*t because even modders had tweaked the physics to make them more comparable to IV or MP3 once the game was released on PC. It was either Rockstar being lazy or inexplicably trying to double down too hard on the amount of realism that IV had. Even pre-release I had my suspicions because I recall a shot of a body falling in Franklin's trailer (

one) that looked really daft.

For whatever reason, I can't really see RDR2 making the same mistake, especially if it's being developed for current-gen and retaining the feel from the first game. Otherwise, R* will have some major explaining to do.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

Mas u Sees
Posted (edited)

Even to this day, I can't get my head around why GTA V's physics were nerfed, there was simply no reason for it whatsoever. And the "console limitations" argument is bullsh*t because even modders had tweaked the physics to make them more comparable to IV or MP3 once the game was released on PC. It was either Rockstar being lazy or inexplicably trying to double down too hard on the amount of realism that IV had. Even pre-release I had my suspicions because I recall a shot of a body falling in Franklin's trailer (

For whatever reason, I can't really see RDR2 making the same mistake, especially if it's being developed for current-gen and retaining the feel from the first game. Otherwise, R* will have some major explaining to do.

Rockstar isn't blind or deaf. They too, have seen the videos of CrowbCat with 11 million views, and I am pretty sure they are not doing the same mistake twice.

At least I hope that they won't.

Edited by Mas u Sees

woggleman

They won't nerf the physics because this game seems like it will very much follow in the footsteps of the first game. They aren't trying to please a bunch of people who tore the previous game apart. I know this board loves IV and so do I but there were a whole lot of people who didn't share that opinion and that is why V is the way it is. RDR has almost universal praise and the ones who didn't like most likely aren't interested in a sequel no matter what.

zuckmeslow

Well, when Arthur pulls someone off the Carriage in the trailer the body just slides, no rag doll extensively showing rolling or bouncing, little unsettling.

yeah i went back to the third trailer and just now noticed this.

i put together this gif to show the scene

giphy.gif

lets hope this is some beta footage because that looks worse than tony hawk's underground from 2003

1526024972633096.gif?1526024982

Shane_Dbns
Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, zuckmeslow said:

giphy.gif

-

Edited by Shane_Dbns

B Dawg

Not to mention that jedijosh modded the PS3 version with no performance loss:

SherifWayne

I don't know anyone who prefers V's physics. They're not really arcadey they're just spongey..... Most kids and adults alike prefer either RDR's over the top gruesome physics or GTAIV's realistic physics.

I ​think the simple fact of having a slow-mo killcam similar to Max Payne 3 is telltale sign that the physics will be great. There'd be no point in it if the physics were sh*t, at least imo

The physics won't be sh*t, that is for certain, but they won't be very sophisticated in order to reel in more casual/mainstream players, who prefer GTAV's arcady physics over the more realistic GTAIV's world.

They won't implement Euphoria anymore? What're you talking about lolol

Euphoria was bought by some mobile game studio like Zynga or something if I recall correctly. Rockstar does have their own in house euphoria engine which they should be allowed to continue using but I'm not sure if that's just sh*tty V's physics.

As of right now the bullet physics are my biggest worry for the game. Everything else looks great, and I'm not bothered by the ground textures so long as we get dynamic snow. I really wan't essentially RDR's original physics engine minus the silly slow mo falls.

Grizzy

Hopefully when they show gameplay, it'll put our worries to rest.

Ash_735

I hope it's like RDR1/MP3 and not like the trash physics that were in GTAV, I know there's certain V fans on this forum who claim V's physics are better but c'mon dude, seriously, go to any other website out there and you'll see in the comments about how people want the Brutal/Bloody/Gunshot wounds, etc, back from RDR1 and Max Payne 3 and even go on to say how tame and paired back GTAV was.

Lock n' Stock

giphy.gif

That looks just like V's physics... let's hope that it was a bug or something and not a true representation of RDR2's physics

I know it sounds ridiculous, but there's a possiblity that guy might already be dead, hence why he looks so lifeless when he falls. Even then, I don't quite think that's enough evidence to go on that RDR2's physics will be f*cked.

O.Z

GTA V's euphoria was watered down s~~~ version, the proper one was used for GTAIV and RDR

Mas u Sees

GTA V's euphoria was watered down s~~~ version, the proper one was used for GTAIV and RDR

It is the same engine.

They just changed the values.

There are even PC Mods, that bring back IVs physics to V; simply by changing force values.

DexMacLeod

Has anyone ever played V modded with IV's physics? I'm curious if the main characters still control like boats or if they retain GTA V's responsiveness. Videos only ever show the player crashing into and shooting pedestrians which somehow manages to look both more and less ridiculous than it did in IV.

Mas u Sees

OK. Look like they went with the GTA V physics, unfortunately.

Well, not a big deal for me personally, but I have a feeling a lot of people will be just as disappointed with this game, as they were with V.

I personally greatly enjoyed GTA V, liked its driving physics more, the ragdoll physics, there downgraded, but they were fine to me.

TBH I don’t remember the combat physics in exact detail (there was a lot going on); I don’t think they were as stumbly-bumbly as in RDR1, but I could be wrong...

Source:

https://twitter.com/USofJR/status/995695222540546048

phenetole

OK. Look like they went with the GTA V physics, unfortunately.

Well, not a big deal for me personally, but I have a feeling a lot of people will be just as disappointed with this game, as they were with V.

I personally greatly enjoyed GTA V, liked its driving physics more, the ragdoll physics, there downgraded, but they were fine to me.

TBH I don’t remember the combat physics in exact detail (there was a lot going on); I don’t think they were as stumbly-bumbly as in RDR1, but I could be wrong...

Source:

https://twitter.com/USofJR/status/995695222540546048

A lot of people will disappointed just cause of the physics? Sure I will be too but i think its a little ridiculous the write the game off completely cause of it. If it has good story and characters, good combat (shooting wise not physics), immersive and interactive world then I think that is a great recipe for a great game.

Dee.

I sure as hell will be. Along with every other RDR fan because that game was hailed for it physics system. And for a successor 8 years later on 10x more powerful hardware to fall behind on that regard is just crazy. Especially for Rockstar. I wouldn't expect that from them

Synthetic_Soul

Your source is someone speculating on Twitter?

His source is someone that actually saw the game.

Even still, I get the feeling that that one specific tweet he was talking about GTAV and how the physics were more grounded not RDR2s

But either way, I'm sure the physics will be a step forward. There's no way they'd include slo-mo kill cams in the game if the people you shot were just dropping to the ground like a 1000 pound sack of sand as it were it GTAV. That'd just look silly.

phenetole

I sure as hell will be. Along with every other RDR fan because that game was hailed for it physics system. And for a successor 8 years later on 10x more powerful hardware to fall behind on that regard is just crazy. Especially for Rockstar. I wouldn't expect that from them

I remember from another comment that AI takes up a lot of resources. It would be a little disappointing but I'd rather have decent physics and great ai than great physics and bad ai. I don't know we'll have to wait for gameplay to be sure. But still think its crazy to completely write the game off if it has physics like gta 5. They weren't horrible but definitely worse than RDR but still better than any other open world game, cause it still uses euphoria. But another thing to note is that just because an enemy doesn't react to bullets as well RDR doesnt mean the shootouts cant be as bloody. If they transfer over the animal kill effects like that deer limping away, blood spurting and the cries of agony, into the enemies than I think that would still make for great combat even with a toned done physics system.

phenetole
Posted (edited)

Even still, I get the feeling that that one specific tweet he was talking about GTAV and how the physics were more grounded not RDR2s

But either way, I'm sure the physics will be a step forward. There's no way they'd include slo-mo kill cams in the game if the people you shot were just dropping to the ground like a 1000 pound sack of sand as it were it GTAV. That'd just look silly.

I really think people exaggerate regarding how bad the GTAV physics were. Yes they were worse than RDR or Max Payne but in no way did it look like a bag of sand falling over.

Edited by phenetole

Dee.

I really think people exaggerate regarding how bad the GTAV physics were. Yes they were worse than RDR or Max Payne but in no way did it look like a bag of sand falling over.

That doesn't look impressive in the slightest and is leagues away from max payne 3 and rdr

phenetole
Posted (edited)

That doesn't look impressive in the slightest and is leagues away from max payne 3 and rdr

I agree, MP3 and RDR are better but GTAV isn't as bad as people make it seem, at least to my eyes. GTAV still has people react to shots and they fly away depending on where they get shot. The little things like holding onto wounds and limping away isnt present but the body does a good job of reacting to the bullets. Again not better than RDR but still good.

Edited by phenetole

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Please note: NPCs getting injured and reacting to wounds in various ways other than falling over is NOT physics. We are talking about two different things here, and that one is a facet of AI, not the physics system.

All of you with concerns about this though... Now is a good time to write to Rockstar, or tweet at them or whatever, and make your voice heard. The underlying game engine is almost certainly capable of being tuned closer to the original game if they want. There are months of final tuning ahead. Don't assume it's all written in stone yet. If you care about this physics and AI thing, let them know.

Edited by Nutduster

DexMacLeod

Please note: NPCs getting injured and reacting to wounds in various ways other than falling over is NOT physics. We are talking about two different things here, and that one is a facet of AI, not the physics system.

It's both. The Euphoria Engine is considered Biomechanical A.I. It doesn't just simulate how a model moves but how it reacts to everything in its environment. Characters holding wounds when they're shot, pushing open doors, and grabbing onto their car door as you try to speed off in it is built into the Euphoria Physics engine.