3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Domac

GTA Next's special feature.

anthony
Posted (edited)

I rem ember the rumors in GTA:SA talking about how NP C's will have actual lives, ho mes to go to, etc. I would love for some of tha t to take place if possible.

The NPCs do have routines and you can say, lives in RDR. 

Here is an example;

I want to make it clear, I have no idea what this character's name is.  He isn't one of the guys that regularly loses money at the poker table, nor is he a character that I've engaged in any of the other mini games.  However, I'm a sucker for alliteration, so he's now going to be known as Bob.

1:30 AM - Observation of the subject begins as Bob first steps out of the saloon.  He walks onto the main thoroughfare and sort of watches as two swaying drinkers talk to one another.  He doesn't engage them, but he does scratch himself.  After that, he heads onto the porch of the saloon, and leans against the railing.  He remains here for some time.
4 AM - Bob stops leaning on the rail, and says something about an Elly McGregor (?) to no one in particular.  I didn't catch exactly what he said.  After this outburst, he moves back into the Saloon, and leans against the wall looking out a window (at basically the same scenery he was looking at from the railing of the balcony).
5ish AM - Bob heads back outside, sits on the stool on the porch for a few minutes before returning to leaning on the railing.  The stool was directly between the window and the railing, or thereabouts.
630 AM - Bob leaves the area of the saloon, heading to the upstairs balcony above Armadillo's gunsmith.  He repeatedly plays an animation that I can't quite identify from my position on the ground. He could have been coughing, shouting, spitting, playing a harmonica, or shadow boxing.  After this, he wanders over to the door up there and knocks on it a few times.  He gets no response, so he casually leans against that railing, as a change of pace from leaning against the one on the saloon's porch.
7 AM - Bob asks the question that's been on everyone's mind, "When we gonna stop talking, and start drinking?"  He hasn't done much talking, and doesn't seem inclined to actually start drinking either.
7:15 AM - Bob crosses the street to the little "produce" stand next to the general store.  Apparently he works here.  He starts butchering chickens.  This is how he got his nick name above.   I was actually pretty surprised (pleasantly) to be given the impression that he might have some sort of schedule (reinforced over the course of the day), but his attire seems a bit odd for a butcher.  I'm not positive that this is really his job, and think that perhaps a random NPC in town takes it each day?  I'd have expected to see one of the apron wearing guys over here.
That table looks like it hasn't been cleaned.  Ever.

9:15 AM - Bob takes a break from butchering chickens to steal an Apple from work, which he eats on the spot.  He discards the remnants, which seem to actually be physically simulated and roll around the environment.
9:25 AM - Bob goes back to work.  I immediately get kind of grossed out thing about his lack of sanitary butchery practices.  No handwashing between raw chickens and eating the apple?  Yikes!  Also, that table doesn't look like it's been washed, ever.  Also, he seems to have a barrel of raw unbutchered chickens, a barrel of chicken feet/heads, and a barrel of raw butchered chickens.  One of the many moments that I'm glad video games don't have smellovision technology.
Noonish maybe - He is still butchering, but I've decided to crunch some numbers.  I time a single chicken, and it takes approximately 5 in-game minutes.  So 24ish chickens before his apple break, and maybe 33 more or so since.  Those barrels are like Mary Poppins' bag.
5 PM - Approximately 60 chickens later (total, approximately 117), Bob takes another apple break.  He goes right back to work afterwards.  I briefly consider the possibility that NPCs in Red Dead Redemption have needs to satisfy, but ultimately don't think so.
6 PM - After essentially an 11 hour day of nonstop work (and approximately 127 butchered chickens), Bob heads over the saloon, to lean against the rail at his favorite spot.
7:30 PM - Bob heads inside to the saloon window, wanders around inside a bit after that, then returns to leaning.  Maybe 25 in-game minutes.
Midnight - Bob exclaims (to me?) "You look like you got run over by a wagon!"  He heads back inside to look out the window at the spot he just left.
12:40 PM - Bob sits on a stool inside the saloon, against the wall opposite the bar, facing inward.  This lasts just a few minutes.
1 AM - Bob heads back outside to lean.  He remains there until the 24 hour observation period is over.
On the positive side of things from observing Bob, his working a job and his eating were both boons to realism.  When I had passed through Armadillo and other settlements previously and seen NPCs working, I had just assumed that they spawned into that position, and would remain there until I went far enough away that they despawned.  Seeing someone start and quit their job was nice.  Additionally, while Bob was a bit boring during his off period, I did see a number of other NPCs do relatively interesting things.  Some of the folks drinking at the bar got stumble-around-and-fall-down drunk (awesome animations on that, by the way).  Some other NPCs seemed to start and stop conversations with each other.  A deputy (non-story) taunted a drunk at one point in the night.

On the other hand, he never slept all day, and he worked like a robot.  And quite frankly, for a guy who spent nearly every non-working hour at the bar, he didn't really do much.  Perhaps he's haunted by his lost love, who he last saw from the porch of the saloon.  We'll go with that.

Bob never slept, but some NPCs do go to their home and sleep.

Skyrim with Immersive citizen mod is also impressive;

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul is a mod whose purpose is to increase player in-game immersion by greatly improving Artificial Intelligence (AI) of friendly NPCs (citizens) in order to make them act and react like true humans in relation to their environment or to an aggressor. 

Specifically, combat AI is revamped, with citizens using a new “Survival Instinct” feature that gives them the ability to evaluate danger from an aggressor and respond to it more realistically while under attack. Their non-combat behavior has also been expanded, with new and realistic behaviors including improved schedules, occasional travel, and better use and response to the world around them. Whether fighting or living their lives, NPCs will respond to things like the weather, or an individual’s profession and relationships (NPCs will act differently day after day). 
For each city/village, the number of unique conversations will be approximately doubled. 
The end result should add considerable depth to the world around you.

For more details please read the complete description available here: http://nextgen-ai.com/immersive-citizens-ps4/

Edited by anthony

FFTLaté

I think that GTA 6 will be the first GTA to have two cities. Vice City and Liberty City for example. Two large maps for the player to explore, with fast travel or plane/boat travel to switch between.

TheSantader25

Oh no please no Liberty City. We had enough of that . it's time for LV SF VC to shine since they are underused. 

Ertan Soner
On 7/6/2018 at 6:59 PM, TheSantader25 said:

Oh no please no Liberty City. We had enough of that . it's time for LV SF VC to shine since they are underused. 

He said both lc and vc so if you don't like lc you can go to vc! I started to work at rockstar and we are adding lc just because you hate it.

TheSantader25
4 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

I started to work at rockstar. 

Kid. 

4 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

He said both lc and vc so if you don't like lc you can go to vc! I started to work at rockstar and we are adding lc just because you hate it.

I don't hate LC. I'm just saying it's overused. LC has been used in 4 games(3+LCS+IV+EFLC)excluding the top downs. While SF and LV have only been used once. 

lefantome
Posted (edited)

Everything is GTA Online!

Edited by lefantome

Ertan Soner
21 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Kid. 

I don't hate LC. I'm just saying it's overused. LC has been used in 4 games(3+LCS+IV+EFLC)excluding the top downs. While SF and LV have only been used once. 

Firstly I am not kid
Secondly I understand what you saying. I am saying it should be in next gta along with new cities. 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

Firstly I am not kid
Secondly I understand what you saying. I am saying it should be in next gta along with new cities. 

Then don't act like a kid. 

Why "should" it be in the next GTA? we already had an HD remake of both LC and LS.any of them reappearing again is a waste of resources. R* can't add that much to them because they already had their HD version. They should fully focus on newer cities or VC LV SF and flesh them out the best they can. 

Edited by TheSantader25

dante財閥

Unfortunately I sense a big multiplayer focused shift. 

Evilbagelninja

Either the first game to have female protagonist or being able time travel to either maps of the series or the same maps at different time period like(1980's,60's 1980's,2000 so etc.)

Ertan Soner
14 hours ago, Evilbagelninja said:

Either the first game to have female protagonist or being able time travel to either maps of the series or the same maps at different time period like(1980's,60's 1980's,2000 so etc.)

Time travel?Gta?SERIOUSLY?

Mister Pink

Good question OP. 

For me, a return of multiple cities is the dream. That's not so innovative but it hasn't been attempted or even replicated by anyone, let alone Rockstar in a GTA-style game since 2004. I think some more consequential branching storylines could be innovative and new. 

If Rockstar returned to the old formula of rags-to-riches but then had a storyline that encompassed working for different factions like in GTA but depending on how you piss them off or work for them, they will be friendly or unfriendly towards you. The story might even change depending on the choices you make. But really consequential like an RPG or a game like The Witcher 3. Decisions that aren't just "Yes" or "no" but really tough ones that may or may not come back to bite you in the ass in ways you couldn't imagine. 

CHARMANDER50
On 5/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, (Ambient) said:

Being a pure MMORPG video game canon story mode whatsoever.

The multiplayer Mobile GTA game released, more playable characters from GTA series.

Huang(CW), CJ(SA), Niko,Johnny,Mike,Claude, Michael, some other female 

protagonists in one big game.

Penguin Bob
14 minutes ago, CHARMANDER50 said:

The multiplayer Mobile GTA game released, more playable characters from GTA series.

Huang(CW), CJ(SA), Niko,Johnny,Mike,Claude, Michael, some other female 

protagonists in one big game.

Where did you get this news from?

CHARMANDER50
57 minutes ago, Penguin Bob said:

Where did you get this news from?

From sources I forgot where I read it if you mean the link?

I read it on some article posted in social media just a week ago.

Am Shaegar

the ability to use technology that normally previous GTA's didn't feature, for instance: hacking, etc

Edited by Am Shaegar
typo

CHARMANDER50
2 hours ago, Am Shaegar said:

the ability to use technology that normally previous GTA's didn't feature, for instance: hacking, etc

GTA Hackers that is cojones boy !

Typhus

A female protagonist would get them the most media attention. It would also cause a dramatic rift in the fan community. As soon as it was announced, people would accuse Rockstar of a liberal bias, say the series was pandering to SJWs, threaten to boycott the game etc.

A few years back, I get the feeling they would have done that just to get a rise out of people. But in 2018, Rockstar seems far more cautious and conservative, and wouldn't rock the boat just for the sake of it.

If I was to predict the next "feature", it would be a far greater emphasis on online play. A spartan single player experience. Microtransactions in single player gameplay. Very little graphical upgrade from V.

The success of GTA Online has likely taught them that they can do the absolute bare minimum and still print money for 5+ years based solely on online play. It's going to completely change the quality of the next game, and probably be a very dramatic drop in quality. But hey, if you're a ten year old who likes threatening people over the internet you're probably going to be over the f*cking Moon.