Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,173 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
JaberDoe

Discussion on Roman Polanski's expulsion from the Film Academy

JaberDoe

Not if y'all heard the news, but the famous director has been expelled from the Film Academy (along with Bill Cosby who I'm not sure why was he in there in the first place, lol).

Now, I'm a fan of Roman Polanski but, of course, I know what he did was wrong.

However, and I'm generalising here, I feel like everyone is blaming the people who gave him recognition for his work even after his conviction. i.e. giving him an Oscar for The Pianist in 2003 with a roaring applause and a nomination for Tess (1980).

In my opinion, I think a person should be appropriately and suitable recognised and awarded for their work, regardless of what they have done or what type of person they may be. Hitler was...well, Hitler, but he was a pretty good artist either way.

Yes, Polanski was wrong, but that doesn't nullify all the work he's done, does it?

Thoughts?

ARTHUR.

Firstly, Hitler wasn't a "pretty good artist" he was a flat artist. His work is drab and uninspiring, it's completely devoid of any emotion and gives the monotonous appearance he was forced to paint at gunpoint.

Now back to the topic at hand. Polanski sexually assaulted a 13 year old girl named Samantha Jane Gailey. He did this under the guise of a position of power by requesting her for a photo shoot, as Roman Polanksi - the famed director. As Roman Polanski, the famous director he drugged her and proceeded to perform oral, anal and vaginal acts on her while she pleaded him to stop. As Roman Polanksi, the celebrated director, he obliterated her innocence and killed her soul. The very soul which makes us human.

Maybe you understand where I'm getting at?

When you use your powerful vocation to take sexual advantage of a child, everything you've done to earn that reputation and increase that influence is decreed void.

JaberDoe

I absolutely get you. He is wrong. No doubt.

Didn't he earn his reputation, though?

Even when he did use his reputation/fame to do what he did, didn't he earn that reputation (despite the evil he did with it)?

Should I simply stop appreciating his work on The Pianist? Didn't he do a good job?

For example:

If I worked hard for 30 years in a company and earned millions, but then spent those millions on bad things, did I not still earn those millions? Should I not get credit for at least working hard? Despite what my intention were to do with it?

I hope I'm making sense.

Would appreciate more thoughts.

Also, I'm no artist/art expert so I'm not really qualified to judge Hitler's work, anyways, lol.

It is kinda monotone, though.

Doctor Holliday

In my opinion, I think a person should be appropriately and suitable recognised and awarded for their work, regardless of what they have done or what type of person they may be.

I'm sorry but this is a very silly and shallow opinion.

If a person makes great art but is objectively immoral and causes harm to others, then what is the value of their art?

We have plenty of great art and entertainment in the world already which is being created by good and decent people. We're not so lacking for art that we need to keep including terrible people once we learn how terrible they are. Can you appreciate The Pianist in the vacuum of itself? Sure. But if Polanski had been properly charged with child rape (which is exactly what he did), he could've been locked up and serving the time that he's never had to serve. Should The Pianist never be filmed, the world wouldn't really be missing out on much, while a horrible person would at least be locked up behind iron bars where he belongs.

I would happily forgo The Pianist in favor of protecting young girls and boys from sexual predators and pedophiles in Hollywood.

Any time someone buys or rents or screens the work of Roman Polanski, they're contributing to the financial and personal livelihood of a child rapist who fled criminal prosecution.

For example:

If I worked hard for 30 years in a company and earned millions, but then spent those millions on bad things, did I not still earn those millions?

This example stinks because it doesn't represent the argument you're trying to make.

Nobody is upset with Polanski because of the way he's "spent" his money; the issue with Roman is that he drugged and molested a child.

Why are you playing Devil's Advocate for this man? Your argument is obtuse at best and willfully uninformed at worst.

JaberDoe

He certainly should be punished for what he has done.

I'm not saying he shouldn't. I'm not saying he should be kept out of jail so he can make more films.

I'm saying: is it wrong for me to think "Polanski did a good job on this film"?

My examples might be improper, but I am certainly not trying to defend his actions or the fact he's running from prosecution.

Maybe I'll just sum it up with my basic thought:

Am I wrong in thinking Polanski did a good job on The Pianist?

After reading y'alls messages I do understand more why he's being expelled and all, though.

Doctor Holliday

Am I wrong in thinking Polanski did a good job on The Pianist?

No, you're not wrong.

There's no law of nature which says that terrible people cannot also be good on an individual basis. Pablo Escobar built schools and hospitals and soccer parks in Columbia... he also turned Columbia into the murder capital of the world. So was it worth it?

It sounded like you were a little confused as to why the Academy kicked him out, and it's not because he didn't make a decent film or two; it's because his legacy of abuse as a criminal fugitive is greater than his ability to direct some movies.

JaberDoe

I was worried about my clarity, lol.

I totally understand why he got kicked out. Even more so after you guys explained it more.

My issue is that I felt like most people (generalising) believed Polanski shouldn't have gotten an award for The Pianist or a nomination for Tess because that was after the incident, when I believe that him getting an award for a particular piece of work was completely okay.

Lock n' Stock

Guy may be a great director, but he's still a kiddy-fiddler.

Fair enough if some can seperate the art from the artist, but his expulsion was completely justified imo. Guess it shows that Hollywood DOES have some standards after all.

Doctor Holliday

I was worried about my clarity, lol.

I totally understand why he got kicked out. Even more so after you guys explained it more.

My issue is that I felt like most people (generalising) believed Polanski shouldn't have gotten an award for The Pianist or a nomination for Tess because that was after the incident, when I believe that him getting an award for a particular piece of work was completely okay.

That makes sense.

Technically speaking, I suppose there's nothing wrong with him getting a nomination or award, that's simply the decision of the people who are offering the award; that's based on their moral choices. The reason some people take issue with this is because it's simply too difficult for them to separate his legacy of abuse from his ability to film a good flick. In professional baseball they kicked out Pete Rose and refuse to recognize his achievements because of his personal flaws, but it seems like most people are able to separate his crime from his career because his crime (betting on the game) wasn't a big deal.

For most people, drugging and raping a child is kind of a big deal :lol: so it's a pretty touchy subject when you're talking about giving the guy a shiny golden trophy... regardless of what the trophy is for.

Dbzk1999

Took me long enough

Reminds me of the whole Chris Benoit and Wrestling hall of fame debate. When its something as bad as that, the actions outweigh the work, at least in my opinion

JaberDoe

I would agree that getting kicked out of a particular academy because of something you did is reasonable. Better, even.

Especially if that thing is as heinous as what Polanski is convicted of! I understand and agree with his expulsion.

Like what Dbzk1999 said about the Chris Benoit thing.

But ignoring a piece of work that's been made (even if it was made after the act), I don't think that's fair.

What irks me is that some people have said he shouldn't have even gotten nominated for something, when I think his nomination and award was fine.

Tchuck

The Pianist was good, but it was quite the Oscar bait. And now, 16 years later, barely remembered like many other Oscar-winning movies.

What he did, however, was so heinous, so disgraceful, and his unapologetic attitude to it, his running away to avoid being charged with what he did, he deserves to have every single award stripped from him. Let his movies keep their accolades: but remove any that he has received personally. He didn't make those movies by himself, the people who worked on them deserve the praise for their part. He deserves to rot.

Doctor Holliday

Just like the little girl he raped, Mr. Polanski is not going to take this crap lying down! :lol:

You think if you had gotten away with this crime and already gotten the awards you would just let it slide. The ego's on these guys are pretty incredible.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/roman-polanski-academy-awards-rape-dismissal-membership-a8343296.html