3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Online: Discussion & Speculation

ivarblaauw

TiberiusMcQueen
11 hours ago, Commander S said:

All I can say is that if R* really has put PvE-only sessions (back) in, as opposed to GTAO, then halle-freakin'-lujah...

That's a really good sign that RDO will be more about engaging with the world and setting, rather than just using it as a playground for smashing toys together for cheap giggles.

It really would make a world of difference for me, GTAO has become hostile to the point that I can't even blame people anymore for shooting me the second I come anywhere near them, everything R* has done to the game has only made it more hostile, I hope they can avoid that happening with RDO. PvE sessions and hopefully keeping the slower paced mechanics of the actual game would go a long way towards distancing this from the chaotic toxic hellhole that GTAO has become.

• Like 5
saintsrow
1 hour ago, TiberiusMcQueen said:

It really would make a world of difference for me, GTAO has become hostile to the point that I can't even blame people anymore for shooting me the second I come anywhere near them, everything R* has done to the game has only made it more hostile, I hope they can avoid that happening with RDO. PvE sessions and hopefully keeping the slower paced mechanics of the actual game would go a long way towards distancing this from the chaotic toxic hellhole that GTAO has become.

We'll be having a Horse Meet, proudly showing off our steeds, all outfitted and grand, and we'll be having a wonderful time, and then some assholes with dynamite, fire bottles and repeating shotguns will show up and ruin everything.  😠

• Like 1
Commander S

Here's a thought: when is RDO going to be set?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll wind up sometime after the end of RDR2 (the main story, at least - like with GTA V and RDR1, there's some post-story faffing around as well), which might just mean that RDO actually takes place in the early 20th century, not 1899. That'd give R* more room to add story-based missions, as well as the freedom to know which story NPCs will be on hand as potential contacts, but with the added bonus of a 'backstop' in the form of RDR1 (because even if RDO runs for a good five years of 'real time' before new updates dry up, that won't wind up bumping up against RDR1).

If that's the case, then things like early cars and certain newer types of gun are fair game, without being anachronistic. I just hope that R* really rolls with the setting like that, instead of getting cute with time-travelling Deluxos, steampunk gimmicks, etc.

• Like 1

Do you guys think that Red Dead Online might follow a timeline like in GTA Online ? i mean, the game might start in 1899, next year might 1900 and go on.

That would be a justification IF rockstar decides to add automobiles in it (Ford Model T)

• Like 1
Commander S
1 hour ago, MarczXD said:

Do you guys think that Red Dead Online might follow a timeline like in GTA Online ? i mean, the game might start in 1899, next year might 1900 and go on.

That would be a justification IF rockstar decides to add automobiles in it (Ford Model T)

Well GTAO didn't really do that deliberately, though - for the first few years, they tried to stick to the whole 'permanently set a few months before GTA V' angle (hence folks like Dom still being alive, Trevor still being up in Blaine County, that kind of thing), and then apparently decided to jump forward to the present at some point, although there are still inconsistencies, there. Again, it feels less like a deliberate attempt at a 'timeline', more just R* not wanting to be permanently restricted by being stuck in a pre-GTA V status quo (for instance, things like bunkers not existing in single-player isn't an issue if GTAO now takes place afterwards), and handling it in an unplanned, sloppy way.

There's also the issue that ...not wishing to spoil RDR2, but there's an epilogue at the end of the story which confirms that the game ends after 1899 - and it's not clear as to the year, either. Meanwhile, RDR1 takes place in 1911 - so that means that if RDO takes place after RDR2, there's a full decade or so to play around with (maybe less, depending the exact year of the epilogue).

I dunno if they'll actually stick to year-by-year, though - again, it all depends on how specific they are with the date, and how much forward planning went into it (compared to the apparent lack that went into picking a time for GTAO!).

Smokewood

Please no peer to peer crap network, please!

I want dedicated servers, varring server types, persistent world, lots of missions, etc..

I guess I really want RDO-MMORPG... 

On 10/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, Jason said:

The "seamless" part is odd though. Perhaps it's where the only mode for online PvE, where as PvP lobbies work a bit differently.

Seeing as it sounds like we're gonna get missions from NPC's in game (going by the achievements) it would make sense to have a dedicated PvE lobby as playing PvE in a lobby with PvP enabled would be chaotic as hell, so maybe PvP lobbies have certain PvE elements disabled?

Yep, like dead-eye. Can't use that in a pvp mode. Who will the game slow down for? Both? See, it cannot work.

But if there is a pve only server, dead-eye works fine.

29 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Yep, like dead-eye. Can't use that in a pvp mode. Who will the game slow down for? Both? See, it cannot work.

Deadeye worked fine in RDR1 online. It didn't slow time and in PvP modes I think it built up very slowly as well.

• Like 1
TheOriginalGunslinger
7 hours ago, Smokewood said:

Dead Eye was fine in Red Dead Redemption multiplayer. Also, since this game has almost similarities to the shooting in Max Payne 3 (which again, allowed you to slow down time using a Perk in that game’s multiplayer as well) I’m sure Rockstar will know how to deal with it and balance it out right.

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger
  • Like 1
Gray-Hand

A question for people who understand technology better than I do:

How much ‘emptier’ will RDRonline have to be compared to single player?

The world of GTAonline was far less populated than GTAV and had zero wildlife.  Surely RDR2 will have to have animals in order to keep the feel of the world?

Is RDRonline going to be similar to GTAonline, or is the relative emptiness of GTAonline merely a carryover  from the capabilities of the previous generation of consoles?

• Like 1
éX-Driver

I won’t be happy unless my character can be dressed to the nines in full coat and tails and dual wielding sawed-offs, all whilst riding a penny farthing off the side of a cliff. Yee haw

CosmicBuffalo

There was server information leak.  In compariosn to gtao, just a quick, is it good, bad or it depends?  Answer would be awesome from somone with technical knowledge.

20 hours ago, Gray-Hand said:

A question for people who understand technology better than I do:

How much ‘emptier’ will RDRonline have to be compared to single player?

The world of GTAonline was far less populated than GTAV and had zero wildlife.  Surely RDR2 will have to have animals in order to keep the feel of the world?

Is RDRonline going to be similar to GTAonline, or is the relative emptiness of GTAonline merely a carryover  from the capabilities of the previous generation of consoles?

Comparing RDR multiplayer to GTA Online is kind of unfair. RDR & GTA IV multiplayer felt tacked-on while GTA Online was R*'s first "proper" take on an open-world online experience. So it's best to act like RDR's multiplayer never happened and just use GTA Online as a template of what RDR Online is going to be since that's what R* is likely doing.

Edited by Lackless
Gray-Hand

I’m not talking about RDRmultiplayer at all.

I’m speculating about what RDRonline will be like compared with GTAonline.

I actually wonder the same thing as the m8 up there.

Will rockstar cut world details on red dead online, will we be seeing less animais ? less NPCs in towns ? in gta online even the graphics got a little downgrade compared to story mode, even the damage model of cars got a downgrade (for example, wheels don't fall of).

• Like 1
TheOriginalGunslinger
12 hours ago, Lackless said:

Comparing RDR multiplayer to GTA Online is kind of unfair. RDR & GTA IV multiplayer felt tacked-on while GTA Online was R*'s first "proper" take on an open-world online experience. So it's best to act like RDR's multiplayer never happened and just use GTA Online as a template of what RDR Online is going to be since that's what R* is likely doing.

Red Dead Online is an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption, blending narrative with competitive and cooperative gameplay in fun new ways. Using the gameplay of the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 as a foundation, Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone or with friends, and will also feature constant updates and adjustments to grow and evolve this experience for all players.

We can’t really sit here and say and “act like RDR1 multiplayer never happened”... Pretty sure it’ll be like the RDR1 multiplayer experience blended with a GTA Online-ish experience. The two could totally mesh as one. Hopefully it’s not a disappointment.

I always preferred IV/RDR1 Multiplayer over GTA Online. Luckily, in RDOnline we don’t have to worry about trigger happy tweens in air vehicles. :^:

Can’t make a separate post but I really hope “Headshots” make a return from RDR1 multiplayer on the scoreboard during competitive game modes. It was always cool seeing who got the most headshots during certain game modes that showed them. Maybe this time around whoever got the most head they could be rewarded with extra XP or whatever Rockstar calls it. Bolt Action Rifle + “Bag” game modes = headshots for days...

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger
ALifeOfMisery

Edited by ALifeOfMisery
As expected indeed.
  • Like 4
Commander S

Yup - "as expected", because R* already announced customisable campsites back when the various editions of the game were revealed... :rol:

In fact, what I suspect we're looking at isn't different property locations - I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually the list of campsite themes at launch (excluding the bonus Survivor one that comes with the Ultimate Edition).

As for what else, there's a list of wagons/carts, including a small stagecoach-sounding thing, a basic cart, a chuckwagon, and a ..."gatling" variant of the chuckwagon. :turn:  Granted, if proper PvE servers are a thing, it's not going to just devolve into 'cowboy Insurgents' all the time, but it does sound like the thin end of the proverbial wedge, just like how it was with the Rhino/Lazer being left in GTAO at the very start (to the point where R* ended up having to nerf the Rhino).

I'm just hoping for more official news/a trailer/dates for the beta soon - it'd be nice to see more than just those brief snippets in that PS4 promo video!

• Like 1
FuturePastNow

Personally, I'd expect GTAO's Bikers update to have the most influence on businesses/properties in RDO, as the MC Clubs seem like they'd translate most naturally to a posse on horseback. You can buy a "clubhouse", a saloon, a gunsmith shop... functionally direct translations of nightclubs and the bunker. I'd expect freeroam activities that are user-triggered like VIP work, and some that are random and session-wide.

• Like 1
ALifeOfMisery
3 hours ago, Commander S said:

Yup - "as expected", because R* already announced customisable campsites back when the various editions of the game were revealed... :rol:

In fact, what I suspect we're looking at isn't different property locations - I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually the list of campsite themes at launch (excluding the bonus Survivor one that comes with the Ultimate Edition).

I really, really hope this is the case. It seems likely to be camp themes, but this is R* and we've all seen what happened with GTAO.

What gives me the most hope is that if residential properties were available what purpose would camps serve? 

But as I hinted at, we've all seen the GTAO example, so I wouldn't put it past R* to push players towards buying properties in various towns and cities.

3 hours ago, Commander S said:

As for what else, there's a list of wagons/carts, including a small stagecoach-sounding thing, a basic cart, a chuckwagon, and a ..."gatling" variant of the chuckwagon. :turn:  Granted, if proper PvE servers are a thing, it's not going to just devolve into 'cowboy Insurgents' all the time, but it does sound like the thin end of the proverbial wedge, just like how it was with the Rhino/Lazer being left in GTAO at the very start (to the point where R* ended up having to nerf the Rhino).

Gatling chuck wagon sounds equally predictable and horrific.

RDO needs to have proper PvE lobbies, meaning that all content is available without being forced into a GTAO style anything goes freeroam lobby to access all content. With the obvious exception of blatantly PvP events like a headshot challenge, melee kill challenge etc.

If PvE lobbies aren't implemented properly my interest in RDO will wane very quickly. Not even solo public, if possible, would hold my interest this time.

volta2001

Just as I feared, they are keeping features out of single player to get you to play online (improve wilderness camp, buy properties). If there is a graphical/environmental downgrade online it’s going to be a huge let down. I actually wouldn’t mind playing online since they’ve stressed you can play alone. But if it looks like trash compared to single player like GTA 5 did ima be pissedd 

• Like 1
On 6/25/2016 at 12:30 PM, ivarblaauw said:

True, can't agree more. I love GTA V's online function, but the lack of SP content is pathetic.

Red Dead is and SHOULD ALWAYS stay focussed on the SP and bring the best of that to multiplayer.

I just hope that they won't make the same mistake with Red Dead as they did with GTA.

Red Dead Redemption was the best game for me, as it had the best of both worlds. A magnificent storyline with plot twists and a great combat system, and a lovely online portion.

But please Rockstar; don't forget the Singleplayer, as Red Dead is and should always stay focussed first upon Singleplayer.

Based on the RDR2 storyline the young can’t do much in terms of adding new content. Arthur is dead, and John’s RDR2 story ends where RDR1 starts. They’d need a whole new character.

Edited by AndyGanteks
volta2001

I hated how in GTA online everyone lived in the same places with painfully long cut scenes and loading.  I know it’s probably impossible but itd be cool if they put you in lobbies where you were the only person that owned that house/shack. Then eveywould have their own spot.

• Like 1
Shadowfennekin

I suspect the timeline will actually start AFTER the events of RDR 2, instead of being a prequel like GTA Online originally was. It gives them more themes to use and more content to add as time goes on.

I'm rather curious which of the characters from the game our character will cross paths with. Or if we'll end up meeting completely original ones like Gerald and Agent 14. Perhaps even characters from the first game..... I REALLY want to see Nigel West Dickens again!

Commander S
11 hours ago, volta2001 said:

Just as I feared, they are keeping features out of single player to get you to play online (improve wilderness camp, buy properties). If there is a graphical/environmental downgrade online it’s going to be a huge let down. I actually wouldn’t mind playing online since they’ve stressed you can play alone. But if it looks like trash compared to single player like GTA 5 did ima be pissedd 

I'd be tempted to chalk a lot of GTAO's limitations down to being a fundamentally last-gen game - can't remember the exact article I read recently, but even with the 2014 re-release, the underlying foundation was built to (more-or-less) work on 360/PS3, and while current hardware has allowed R* more room to stack stuff on top of that foundation, that doesn't change the built-in limitations that come with it.

Throw in the fact that population density is lower in RDR2 (even Saint Denis) because you haven't got all the NPC traffic (both vehicles and drivers) to worry about, and I reckon that RDO should be able to keep things like wildlife and the like. It's a much more sparse map overall - if anything, it's stuff like environmental effects that'd probably need scaling back.

What I'm hoping is that R* doesn't streamline out certain RDR2 features for RDO - stuff like weight/physique, gun maintenance, clothing layering, bathing/dirt, hair growth/styling, that sort of thing. RDR2 is already a slow, meticulous-to-a-fault experience - if anything, something like RDO, where you don't have urgent story concerns to deal with, is even better suited to just experimenting with the game on a mechanical level. I worry that R* will already be starting off down the wrong path if they decide to cut all that back in the name of 'player convenience' and 'immediacy' - because the only reason to strip all that back is if ...you want to priorise things like regular shooting matches, and figure all that 'realism' fluff will get in the way.

(anyone remember when you had to restock your GTAO weapons at Ammu-Nation, rather than being able to simply restock explosives in seconds through the interaction menu - good times... :sigh:)

• Like 1
ALifeOfMisery
On 11/2/2018 at 3:43 AM, Shadowfennekin said:

I suspect the timeline will actually start AFTER the events of RDR 2, instead of being a prequel like GTA Online originally was. It gives them more themes to use and more content to add as time goes on.

R* have trapped themselves, timeline wise, with RDR2 being a prequel.

RDO being set before the events of RDR2 brings all the same pitfalls as we saw with GTAO originally being set prior to the events of GTA V. 

Setting RDO post the RDR2 story is limited by the events of RDR. R* can't just force new things into the world and onto to map that aren't present at the beginning of the RDR. Well, they could, but that would be disappointing.

As far as I can see, R* need to either set RDO after the end of RDR, which I can't see happening.

Or.

Embrace and be upfront about RDO taking place in an alternate reality. Which would open up endless opportunities and freedom without creating the timeline mess that is GTAO.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery
  • Like 1
Self-Destructive Man
14 hours ago, volta2001 said:

(improve wilderness camp, buy properties).

I don't know what you mean by "improve wilderness camp" but the buy properties thing has nothing to do with  cutting SP features in favor of the Online Mode. It would make no sense if you were allowed to buy properties in story mode due the storyline, seeing that you're a outlaw on the run with a gang. In Red Dead Online, you're a lone wolf cowboy, so you can do yoyr things, without worry about anyone.

volta2001
6 hours ago, Mafia Assassin® said:

I don't know what you mean by "improve wilderness camp”

I mean when you set up camp from your horse. I’d love a function where you could improve it. Gives me the idea of a Trapper DLC where you are a mountain man. That’d be sweet 

• Like 1