3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

ivarblaauw

Red Dead Online: Discussion & Speculation

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, MarczXD said:

And it also could be a good excuse for vehicles, back in 1907 the Ford Model T was already popular i believe.

The Model T went into production in 1908.

PhoGarrett

The back of the box on RDR 2 has "2-32 Network Players" on it. I would not expect a higher player count than that for RDR2 Online.

Tampinha85

yeah i also think it will be set after the main story.

Mach1bud
2 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

The Model T went into production in 1908.

Still a bunch of production cars on the road by 1907 though. 

ALifeOfMisery
8 hours ago, Mach1bud said:

Still a bunch of production cars on the road by 1907 though. 

Yeah, and bikes. Harley Davidson were producing out of a factory in 1907. I wouldn't say no to having a Strap Tank.

VercettiGuy

I hope it will be in 1899. I don't need cars or anything.

IamCourtney

I want to lasso and tame a wild jalopy on the sunny plains of West Elizabeth, bend Machine to the Will of Man and form a lifelong  bond.

GenericGTAO

If I had to bet, I would say that online version is going to be similar to GTAO.  The beginning will be restrained.  If it becomes successful, meaning all the people hoping for no childish things make the online version worth playing, R* will ramp up the unrealistic things.  I personally would love to have modernisque weapons and vehicles in this world. 

Flying the hot air ballon in story mode really solidified that for me.  There arent any airports so it may be confined to hot air ballons at first.  Flying just opens up the world to such an extent, its almost a shame there isnt an airport introduced at the end of story mode, so you can admire the map from above.

Story mode dlc that introduces scifi/horror/fantasy elements will only increase the chanes that modernesque vehicles/weapons being introduced online.

Edited by GenericGTAO

ALifeOfMisery
14 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

Flying the hot air ballon in story mode really solidified that for me.  There arent any airports so it may be confined to hot air ballons at first.  Flying just opens up the world to such an extent, its almost a shame there isnt an airport introduced at the end of story mode, so you can admire the map from above.

For the time period it would need to be something similar to a Wright Model A if planes were to be added. Which would be very cool as long as R* didn't feel the urge to weaponize it.

Kernel

I cannot wait for RDO. RDR2 is a perfect game, definitely the best I have played ever, and honestly, my hopes are very high for RDO right now. Can't wait for November whichever-th, just wanna break out of that f*cking prison and become my own outlaw, robbing banks in Saint Denis, trains in Blackwater etc.

Watain

I wonder what kind of a system they'll implement with players' horses. I imagine trolls will be killing them for sport, but will we have insurances and revivable horses, or are we gonna have to get new ones pretty much every half an hour or so? That would definitely leave me playing in solo/invite sessions only.

Mike R.L.

I am going to only be playing with friends this time around and any decent forumers that are down for it. No public lobbies for me at all (on the strength that it can be done more SOLO than GTAO can be) I'm done with multiplayer games as a general rule

TheIllaDopest
15 hours ago, VercettiGuy said:

I hope it will be in 1899. I don't need cars or anything.

i believe steam powered vehicles have been around since mid 1800s 

fryday

this is a western game, you guys want to be on servers with 32 cars driving arund? seriously???

ALifeOfMisery
10 minutes ago, fryday said:

this is a western game, you guys want to be on servers with 32 cars driving arund? seriously???

Why would that happen?

If online was set in or around 1907 cars would be almost useless, even on the streets of Saint Denis, when compared to a horse. Off road, cars would be completely useless.

They would just be cool, expensive, collectors items, for anyone interested in vehicles from that period of time.

If R* implemented period authentic vehicles, with all the limitations that they had, any lobby with 32 players driving cars would be a lobby of players basically going nowhere, and going nowhere very slowly at that.

I'd be far more concerned about players being able to spawn some civil war artillery next to them than a player driving a car that my horse can run rings around.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Jabalous

I guess we'll be able to choose from a set of voices for player-created characters. An essential experience of Redemption 2 is the ability to talk with ambient NPCs, including things like threatening witnesses. The Honor system may also be present as it's advantageous in getting discounts at stores and could change the way players behave in sessions, realizing the consequences of their actions. I also think it'd not be difficult to allow NPCs (e.g. bartenders, lawmen) to remember you and your actions same as in single player. That would also impact how players will behave in the world, again knowing the consequences. It's pretty clear that Rockstar's priority is to close the gap between single player and Online in terms of interactivity and storytelling as much as possible.

One surprising, and maybe amazing, thing would be to have the in-game economy impacted by the input of players to some extent. How? Meats, food, animal skins for crafting items, and cartridges mayn't be readily available at any time. Player #1 may skin an animal required to craft a certain item, goes to sell it at the trapper, then Player #2 can then go and ask him to craft the item. If Player #1 didn't sell the skin, Player #2 would need to hunt the animal and sell the skin. Same thing could apply to the butcher, so having a large amount of money wouldn't buy you meat if the butcher does not have any stocked. Hunting will then play an essential survival role in any session. The economy can potentially evolve with time depending on how Rockstar will tune it. A publicly announced Beta release is needed to study how players behave and everything will then be tuned accordingly. One thing for sure, Red Dead Online is shaping up be an even more special and unique experience than GTAO, even though I didn't like the latter for reasons. 

Edited by Jabalous

We Are Ninja
On 11/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, Classique said:

I am posting this here because why not. This is some dark stuff for RDROnline, man.

1.) That was fantastic.

2.) The bad sport in Guarma isn't a bad idea...

FlatFX

Its about time Rockstar gets out with news and trailer should happen very soon if they want to release it end of November. I personally would make my bet on the first two weeks of December. Probably getting delayed a little due to server capabilities. 

Too many people have bought the game ;)

ikr

What happens if you buy a horse online and it dies? They better let it re-spawn after a short period. It's one thing doing that pointless sh*t in story mode but online...........

:sui:

ALifeOfMisery
28 minutes ago, FlatFX said:

Its about time Rockstar gets out with news and trailer should happen very soon if they want to release it end of November. I personally would make my bet on the first two weeks of December. Probably getting delayed a little due to server capabilities. 

Too many people have bought the game ;)

Hopefully we shouldn't have to worry too much about the server capabilities where RDO is concerned.

https://rockstarintel.com/rd-online-servers/

LL Cool L

I dont get the hate for gta online, its has been my best gaming experience to date...

we all have played religiously for 4/5 years on multiple platforms...

and even with rdr lobbies are still full...

Pressure Drop
3 hours ago, LL Cool L said:

I dont get the hate for gta online, its has been my best gaming experience to date...

Lobbies are still full, but now filled with 12 year olds.
GTA Online now compared to when it was released is a shambles. It is unbalanced, and basically a war simulator.
Playing GTAO for the first 2-3 years was amazing, but I would not touch it with a bargepole these days. Sad to see how they absolutely ruined the game, hope the same doesn't happen again.

tonko
3 hours ago, LL Cool L said:

GTA was fresh, great, amazing first 2 years. Then something happened. Ended up with flying bikes.

After 2 years, i stopped playing, bought second hand ps3 and RDR and played RDR online.

TyrionV

I absolutely love GTAO.

The shine definitely came off with the release of the Ruiner, Wastelander etc in Finance & Felony.

For me armoured vehicles like the turreted limo, technical and Imsurgent were fine. It was pretty much downhill from there. 

I still play now and again but can’t see me touching it once RDRO drops. Maybe if they do a big dlc or something but it’s time for break anyways. 5 years is plenty. 

Commander S

GTAO was one of the best game experiences for me - but that's the game I played from October 2013-October 2015. Update after update of just 'buy this new business property, fill it with supplies, deliver the goods, try not to get murdered by randos and have all that grind go to waste' from Finance & Felony onward, stunt races, adversary modes, anything 'weaponized', etc. - it was a very different game up to and including Heists, and a lot of the changes since (that have come to define the game) have done a thorough job of making the game no fun at all anymore.

That's why I'm a bit apprehensive about how RDO will turn out - maybe the period setting and more serious tone will limit just how gimmicky and tacky they can make the game. Alternatively, a lot of the 'narrowing of player choice' that's come out of things like SecuroServ and whatnot will be built into RDO from the start - they've said they're making it more narrative-focused this time, and I'm concerned that'll mean something like Destiny, where your character is a scripted character defined by the writers, and not a blank slate defined by you.