Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,716 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

ivarblaauw

Red Dead Online: Discussion & Speculation

DexMacLeod
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Commander S said:

"Alarmist journalists" (:sigh:) were literally just quoting Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick from the company's end-of-year conference call with investors:

"We've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board."

Gamasutra - Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks

Which, in fairness, wasn't them spreading clickbait about microtransactions in every Take-Two game ("recurrent consumer spending after release" could just mean old-fashioned DLC expansions, after all). Let's not get up in arms about 'lying game journo shills' or whatever, just because people misread a headline, didn't bother reading the article, and immediately grabbed their pitchforks... ;)

Nope, the "Alarmist journalists" deliberately misquoted him in headlines. "Every Take-Two game will have microtransactions from now on." "GTA Publisher Plans to Have Microtransactions in All Future Games ..." "Take-Two now to have microtransactions in all games going forward ..." "Take-Two says all of its future titles will include microtransactions - MCV"

I get that some sites did it the right way (and they're not who I was referring to) but they are far outnumbered by the sites that went all Alex Jones with their headlines for the clicks.

Edited by DexMacLeod

Commander S

There's a difference between 'misquoting' and 'interpreting' - I was playing Devil's advocate before, but just because he's not saying "all our games will have microtransactions" verbatim, doesn't mean that's not what he's implying.

"Recurrent consumer spending opportunities ... in an ongoing basis after release" doesn't exactly suggest "buying an expansion pack" - not after he's spoken about how player engagement has changed from tens of hours or more (as you'd expect from a finite boxed product) to ongoing engagement post-release. Players are now sticking with Take-Two titles longer than ever, and leveraging that in order to keep getting those players to spend money again and again (i.e., microtransactions) has "been transformative for us". As a result, "we've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company" - that sure sounds like 'Take-Two CEO aims to put microtransactions in all future titles' from where I'm sitting...

They're not going all "Alex Jones" - it's simply unpacking the corporate jargon. And it's not even some deliberately-euphemistic dodge on the part of Zelnick, either - after all, why would he downplay proposing the idea of pushing microtransactions to investors (after mentioning that it's been a huge, positive change in how they do business) - ?

DexMacLeod

If the interporation is the opposite of what was said it's a misquote. Zelnick specifically said "it probably won't always be a virtual currency model" and that somehow turned into Microtransactions in everything.

I get that most internet articles are just a writer re-reporting someone else's news and then covering it in their own opinion but I think at the very least the headlines should stick to the facts.

EVOLUT7ON

Are we going to have same 32 players per lobby as GTAV has?
Or can we expect 64 players for example?

TheSantader25

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. GTA ONLINE Sessions already suck when it gets passed 15 ppl. 

They have to fix their servers for future titles. 

EVOLUT7ON
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. GTA ONLINE Sessions already suck when it gets passed 15 ppl. 

They have to fix their servers for future titles. 

I think it's all because of NPC traffic, explosions & heavy weapons, different player's actions and different types of vehicles, etc.? No?

Red Dead Online will not have it I guess. Just horses, players and wild nature?..

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, EVOLUT7ON said:

I think it's all because of NPC traffic, explosions & heavy weapons, different player's actions and different types of vehicles, etc.? No?

Red Dead Online will not have it I guess. Just horses, players and wild nature?..

They just need to rebuild a new session system. If not for now for next GTA they should. They should also speed up joining jobs

Edited by TheSantader25

Commander S
2 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

If the interporation is the opposite of what was said it's a misquote. Zelnick specifically said "it probably won't always be a virtual currency model" and that somehow turned into Microtransactions in everything.

I get that most internet articles are just a writer re-reporting someone else's news and then covering it in their own opinion but I think at the very least the headlines should stick to the facts.

...except microtransactions literally means 'mini-purchases' - it's not a synonym for 'in-game currency'. Monster Hunter World doesn't let you buy in-game currency/materials, but still has a cash shop for cosmetic items (NPC costumes, emotes, sticker packs, etc.), all of which are still microtransactions.

1 hour ago, EVOLUT7ON said:

That's a thought: will the fact that RDR2 isn't having to accomodate Xbox 360 and PS4 mean that wildlife and whatnot will appear in Online, as well as in single-player?

You'd think that animals probably would, because of hunting/food mechanics - but then, are those systems going to be carried over as well? It might be that, like with hair/clothing physics (present in GTA V, not in Online) or being able to cause fuel leaks in vehicles, R* streamlines those out of the game - maybe not because Online won't be able to handle it, but because of convenience in a multiplayer environment.

EVOLUT7ON
25 minutes ago, Commander S said:

That's a thought: will the fact that RDR2 isn't having to accomodate Xbox 360 and PS4 mean that wildlife and whatnot will appear in Online, as well as in single-player?

You'd think that animals probably would, because of hunting/food mechanics - but then, are those systems going to be carried over as well? It might be that, like with hair/clothing physics (present in GTA V, not in Online) or being able to cause fuel leaks in vehicles, R* streamlines those out of the game - maybe not because Online won't be able to handle it, but because of convenience in a multiplayer environment.

True...

But Wildlife in Online or Red will be Dead for sure.

GenericGTAO
On 6/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, Commander S said:

...except microtransactions literally means 'mini-purchases' - it's not a synonym for 'in-game currency'. Monster Hunter World doesn't let you buy in-game currency/materials, but still has a cash shop for cosmetic items (NPC costumes, emotes, sticker packs, etc.), all of which are still microtransactions.

Purchasing items that can be earned online seems more tolerable especially if most of the items can be earned in game.  Than a currency system, that literally removes money at every conceivable moment like GTAO.  Key word seems.

Less cops, the cops cause so much lag, the law was pretty bad in story mode in RDR, I do not think the law was that bad in RDRO, Heres to completely removing random cop spawns.   Probably wont happen.

AGNT009

Im expecting the Online map to drastically increase in density to accommodate all the possible businesses and player homes we'll eventually get. RDR was pretty sparse. RDR2 story will have to stay that way since its even earlier. But once we get to online, I fully expect them to fast forward PAST RDR1 time and Marston is dead. They can then advance the technology some. We can stay in the old west map, but our online world will feature fuller towns with more surrounding buildings, and the open countryside will get a little more dense with more cabins and ranches to personally own. Expect the motorized cars to be the new Yacht, ridiculously overpriced, but the fastest form of travel. Which also makes me wonder if they will allow car and horse collisions in online, and let players drive around mowing down horses.

I want to own a winter cabin in Tall Trees, and have a big ranch near the city too to take my business goods back and forth. 

e1999KrayzieBone

Right off the bat, when you play your first bit of RDR:Online or whatever it will be called, there should be a prompt that tells you "every hostile action you make will have repercussions," in that anytime you go unjustly kill human players, they keep tabs, and if you do it too much, you should be banished to a sh*tty server full of hostiles. This is not GTA. I don't want to play this game like a bloodthirsty maniac--I'd much rather have other online players be teammates and not enemies. While RDR was shaky at best online, some of my favorite times were spent meeting up with random people and going out hunting. I don't think the hostility in free roam should be rewarded, rather I think it should be suffocated. 

MC_HaMMaSTiX
28 minutes ago, e1999KrayzieBone said:

Right off the bat, when you play your first bit of RDR:Online or whatever it will be called, there should be a prompt that tells you "every hostile action you make will have repercussions," in that anytime you go unjustly kill human players, they keep tabs, and if you do it too much, you should be banished to a sh*tty server full of hostiles. This is not GTA. I don't want to play this game like a bloodthirsty maniac--I'd much rather have other online players be teammates and not enemies. While RDR was shaky at best online, some of my favorite times were spent meeting up with random people and going out hunting. I don't think the hostility in free roam should be rewarded, rather I think it should be suffocated. 

I like that idea since I'd much rather hunt or do RDRO's equivalent of GTA jobs with randoms than get stuck in endless loops of spawning and killing. Like PvE with the ability to PvP within reason. Griefers and tryhards ruin everything.

"Just join a private lobby." With 3 friends and zero randoms? No thanks. How about people who wanna treat RDRO/GTAO like CoD go play CoD and let me box bears with the homies.

Nemecsis
16 hours ago, e1999KrayzieBone said:

Aww poor guy. You know, there are video games without gun violence if that's more your speed. 

Edited by Nemecsis