2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Domac

GTA 5 lost "that GTA feel"?

yasherif

I think you guys are missing the 1st time feel, the impact is gone that is why you feel this way.  Looking at some of the latest games coming out from e3 I could say I am almost excited about NOTHING.  But that is gaming now.  U've reached the top by playing a game like this.  If u still crave the impact of 1st time playing it online like in GTA 4 u will be always disappointed.  

I still love the game and never managed to replace playing it with anything else.  We are very spoiled with amount of cars/money/and character customization this game offers us.  Let's not forget that other games always ask for money so u can earn a back pack.  

D9fred95
2 hours ago, yasherif said:

I think you guys are missing the 1st time feel, the impact is gone that is why you feel this way. 

Except that installments like Vice City, San Andreas, etc still feel like GTA despite playing them for years. Overexposure is not the issue here.

ViceBoy69

My main complaint with GTA5 is fact you have to play with the three main antagonists, id rather GTA5 had been like 4 with a different game for each but have the games joined together better, if you have played GTA4 and EFLC you will understand what i mean.

I f*cking hate Trevor he just puts you off playing the game, to me GTA5 single player was ill conceived

xXxRyanxXx
6 hours ago, ViceBoy69 said:

My main complaint with GTA5 is fact you have to play with the three main antagonists, id rather GTA5 had been like 4 with a different game for each but have the games joined together better, if you have played GTA4 and EFLC you will understand what i mean.

I f*cking hate Trevor he just puts you off playing the game, to me GTA5 single player was ill conceived

To me GTA IV/EFLC worked so well because none of the protagonists were allies and the way their stories crossed over was sheer brilliance. Like Pulp Fiction or Sin City. GTA V tries REALLY hard to flesh out each of the protagonists' stories, but it's wasted when they become the three best friends in the whole world.

Then there's the switching mechanic itself. Eh. Not a fan. It was one of those ideas that sounded great on paper, but in practice not so much. For one it doesn't give the freedom R* promised before release. There are times you're forced to switch in certain missions and in free roam it's not even utilised very well. For instance when I aimed to get the "Three Man Army" trophy I was disappointed that you couldn't switch between them. Basically being stuck with the protagonist that calls the other two.

Anyway this is why I hope GTA VI is a single protagonist game again or adopts the GTA IV/EFLC approach if multiple protagonists are a must.

Japseye

I agree with OP. I blame this double RP bullsh*t going on through my experience. It feels like the game has been taken over by 9 year old kids and rarely I get that special GTA feeling

Tao Cheng
On 6/10/2018 at 9:42 AM, gta111 said:

Yeah, GTA V feels too scattered, the story line way too chill, comical, and commercial, and gta online has turned into saints row online. smh Not enough substance for me, not dark enough, not enough character, but thats also partial due to how things are irl nowadays so i can kind of understand why its like this. Though still leaves alot to be desired.

That's basically Los Angeles in a nutshell for you.

Journey_95
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2018 at 7:18 PM, D9fred95 said:

Except that installments like Vice City, San Andreas, etc still feel like GTA despite playing them for years. Overexposure is not the issue here.

I have replayed GTA V a few times since release (like 4 times already) and I think its overall good & definitely feels like GTA. Its flawed but thats true for most GTA games in my opinion (GTA IV has the least amount for me). 

On 6/12/2018 at 2:51 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

To me GTA IV/EFLC worked so well because none of the protagonists were allies and the way their stories crossed over was sheer brilliance. Like Pulp Fiction or Sin City. GTA V tries REALLY hard to flesh out each of the protagonists' stories, but it's wasted when they become the three best friends in the whole world.

Then there's the switching mechanic itself. Eh. Not a fan. It was one of those ideas that sounded great on paper, but in practice not so much. For one it doesn't give the freedom R* promised before release. There are times you're forced to switch in certain missions and in free roam it's not even utilised very well. For instance when I aimed to get the "Three Man Army" trophy I was disappointed that you couldn't switch between them. Basically being stuck with the protagonist that calls the other two.

Anyway this is why I hope GTA VI is a single protagonist game again or adopts the GTA IV/EFLC approach if multiple protagonists are a must.

GTA IV + EFLC's approach was amazing and how their stories connected was well done but I'm not sure how well it would have worked in a single game. Imagine GTA IV suddenly taking control away from you so you do Johnny's story or Luis. I think that would kill the pacing of Niko's story.

So Rockstar instead decided to just make one big story after their introductions which lead to other problems like Franklin being a bland robot as a result and it didn't even add much to the game after the initial excitement. I think it would have been better to just go with Michael as the MC, the story already revolves around him anyway. Or at least just have him and Trevor, that would be ok since their relationship is at the center of the game. And of course more freedom was necessary.

Edited by Journey_95

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Actually GTA 5 is one of the most loyal to being an actual GRAND THEFT AUTO. having multiple AUTO thefts for devin snd Simeon and some of the heist setups. 

Yeah instead of performing assassinations for annoying pricks for 5000$ you were actually stealing cars for pricks for minimum cash. But still at least it's GRAND THEFT AUTO. 

Edited by TheSantader25

xXxRyanxXx
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Actually GTA 5 is one of the most loyal to being an actual GRAND THEFT AUTO. having multiple AUTO thefts for devin snd Simeon and some of the heist setups. 

Yeah instead of performing assassinations for annoying pricks for 5000$ you were actually stealing cars for pricks for minimum cash. But still at least it's GRAND THEFT AUTO. 

Too bad there are no auto theft side missions like import/export in the past. The best we get is a lame list of 5 from the Episilon Program. Not even a proper import/export side mission. 

GTA V IS NOT A REAL GTA.

But serously the theft missions we do for Weston are pretty cool, but I wish there were reposession side missions Franklin do early on before he starts working with Michael. I enjoy stealing vehicles for cash in every GTA, but I've always been somewhat bewildered by their absence in GTA V.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Too bad there are no auto theft side missions like import/export in the past. The best we get is a lame list of 5 from the Episilon Program. Not even a proper import/export side mission. 

GTA V IS NOT A REAL GTA.

But serously the theft missions we do for Weston are pretty cool, but I wish there were reposession side missions Franklin do early on before he starts working with Michael. I enjoy stealing vehicles for cash in every GTA, but I've always been somewhat bewildered by their absence in GTA V.

GTA V is definitely not as a GTA as a 3D GTA but it definitely is more of a GTA than IV. 

That's the opinion of many. There's nothing anyone can do about it. 

Ppl just say it's not a real GTA because we have 3 protagonists that don't start from the bottom. They're basically in the middle class and get to the top at the end. Unlike many GTAs which you're basically the lowest of the lowest. 

Edited by TheSantader25

xXxRyanxXx
17 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

GTA V is definitely not as a GTA as a 3D GTA but it definitely is more of a GTA than IV. 

That's the opinion of many. There's nothing anyone can do about it. 

Ppl just say it's not a real GTA because we have 3 protagonists that don't start from the bottom. They're basically in the middle class and get to the top at the end. Unlike many GTAs which you're basically the lowest of the lowest. 

Why would anyone do anything about it? Like I said way back when this thread was started what's "GTA" comes down to indidividual taste. It doesn't matter how many people share it. For some it's GTA V, others it's GTA IV, others it's San Andreas and so on.

Just be comfortable what's "GTA" to YOU.

Utopianthumbs

How do you define "that GTA feel?" Imo it's a pretty subjective thing, sure there's a certain core feel about  GTA but every mainline GTA has been pretty different. I disagree with OP that GTA V lacks the feel, just because it introduced multi protagonist system and stuff like that doesn't mean it's any less a GTA, every mainline GTA brought something new to the table. Online maybe but GTA V feels very much a GTA to me just as much as IV, VC, SA etc. They all have that R* flair

Crossbones

GTA V is nowhere my favorite but saying that it lost the GTA feel is taking things too far. It is a good game. All that robbing, shooting, chasing makes it a GTA and it has some great missions in the entire series too. 

Jack Lupino

theres really no proper answer to this question since no one can define what real gta feeling is.

different people play gta for different reaons.

But if you ask me gta 5 brought back many features of 3D era that were removed from gta 4 era.

It is the most fun filled adventure game since San Andreas.

If youre type of gamer who wants to free roam,cause havoc and have fun gta 5 is the perfect game for you.

Ondr4H

I also feel in GTA V as criminal superhero playing in his own movie in three different ways.Story is without any really memorable moment but full of controversies.You cannot packed story of three characters in only 69 missions total.

I find police chases really bland, boring and repetetive.There arent any challenges in this wanted level system like in old games, where Im afraid of FBI and Army on regular basis.

GTA V is great arcade game, I probably choose it for fun factor or with playing it with friends.But for story and overall feel I choose older entries.

DirtCheap
Posted (edited)

I don't think V lost it's GTA feel in terms of gameplay. It has the typical GTA craziness in it so I don't see why you'd think it doesn't have typical GTA gameplay. On the topic of the weapon wheel, I think it made the gameplay more fun as you could use all the heavy weapons, throwables, melee weapons and pistols (it wouldn't be fun removing the strongest pistol so you could use the Stun Gun and vice versa) all at once.

However, in terms of narrative, it didn't really have the GTA feel. Michael already had a mansion and everything so that excluded a "Rise to the Top of the Criminal Empire" story (which was in all GTAs except this one) with him, Franklin gets to the top in less than a few missions and you never really felt like you earned all his fortune and power, and Trevor really had no goals.

To see what I mean with Trevor, watch 5:39-8:10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8GuyXpA2P0

Edited by DirtCheap

TheSantader25
12 minutes ago, DirtCheap said:

I don't think V lost it's GTA feel in terms of gameplay. It has the typical GTA craziness in it so I don't see why you'd think it doesn't have typical GTA gameplay. On the topic of the weapon wheel, I think it made the gameplay more fun as you could use all the heavy weapons, throwables, melee weapons and pistols (it wouldn't be fun removing the strongest pistol so you could use the Stun Gun and vice versa) all at once.

However, in terms of narrative, it didn't really have the GTA feel. Michael already had a mansion and everything so that excluded a "Rise to the Top of the Criminal Empire" story (which was in all GTAs except this one) with him, Franklin gets to the top in less than a few missions and you never really felt like you earned all his fortune and power, and Trevor really had no goals.

To see what I mean with Trevor, watch 5:39-8:10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8GuyXpA2P0

But it's actually the first GTA that money matters since the HD era. 

Reaching the top in IV was pointless since money was absolutely useless. 

Penguin Bob

I actually enjoyed GTA V but not as a GTA game. I think of it as a regular advanced arcade game with many opportunities and with 3 playable protagonists. To be honest, GTA V used to be my least favorite Grand Theft Auto game but when I got a chance to play it again, it wasn't so bad. The story is was crap of course, but I enjoyed the map design, side activities, and free roam. GTA V Online is whole different story though.

xXxRyanxXx
5 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

But it's actually the first GTA that money matters since the HD era. 

Reaching the top in IV was pointless since money was absolutely useless. 

I wouldn't say it's the first GTA since the HD era where money matters. It's the only one. There is of course a point like most open world games where you have more money that you can spend, but I have to give GTA V props for atleast trying to balance it out.

Even Vice City and San Andreas got to the point where money became pointless after buying everything since there really wasn't anything overly expensive and money was so easy to come by and GTA IV simply suffers from the GTA III and LCS syndrome where a sh*t ton of money is given to the player, but you can only spend it on bare essentials like weapons, vehicle repairs etc. This is one of the very few things in GTA IV I'd consider to be underdeveloped and not very well thought out.

What makes GTA V different is you don't get paid after every mission and only for certain heists. It's now possible to buy vehicles online where some of which are ridiculously expensive and properties are the most expensive in the series (on average). Factor in that side missions generally pay less than previous games and the only way to make serious cash outside of the heists is the stock market which isn't as easily exploitable as previous forms of gambling.

It's not perfect and I wish we could buy some more safehouses, but to me it has the best economy system in the entire series. Not just the HD era.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I wouldn't say it's the first GTA since the HD era where money matters. It's the only one. There is of course a point like most open world games where you have more money that you can spend, but I have to give GTA V props for atleast trying to balance it out.

Even Vice City and San Andreas got to the point where money became pointless after buying everything since there really wasn't anything overly expensive and money was so easy to come by and GTA IV simply suffers from the GTA III and LCS syndrome where a sh*t ton of money is given to the player, but you can only spend it on bare essentials like weapons, vehicle repairs etc. This is one of the very few things in GTA IV I'd consider to be underdeveloped and not very well thought out.

What makes GTA V different is you don't get paid after every mission and only for certain heists. It's now possible to buy vehicles online where some of which are ridiculously expensive and properties are the most expensive in the series (on average). Factor in that side missions generally pay less than previous games and the only way to make serious cash outside of the heists is the stock market which isn't as easily exploitable as previous forms of gambling.

It's not perfect and I wish we could buy some more safehouses, but to me it has the best economy system in the entire series. Not just the HD era.

The epsilon side mission pays pretty well. Well it's the only GTA that you get money when you know you're going to get money. In the previous ones there were some missions with money rewards that made no sense. Like you did sth and suddenly got 10000$ for no reason. I think people really need to give this game a second chance... It's sad how it became the most hated because of its flaws but it has some serious strong points to make up for it. 

Edited by TheSantader25