3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Domac

GTA 5 lost "that GTA feel"?

D9fred95

This is my problem with IV and the Episodes. They feel pretentious, snobby, and preachy to me, like Rockstar decided to condescend to tell GTA fans, "Well, little children. You must eat your supper before you can have desert! You must do your homework and your chores before you can get your little snacks and go out and play!" You know what? F*ck that! The videogame is supposed to BE my desert, and my snack, and my fun. I did all my work while I was, ya know, working. I play videogames because they ARE supposed to be the fun part of my day. When a game slows me down, and forces me to crawl through the most boring chores to get at the chewy, flavorful center, I have a real problem with that.

Personally, I feel the same about V. In some areas V is the one forcing me to eat the supper before dessert where previous GTA's don't.

For example, in previous games, including IV, you could go collect a high-end weapon if you knew where to look. V doesn't spawn any high-end weapons anywhere in the gameworld with Carbine's only obtainable by assaulting Fort Zancudo. You NEED to progress the story to get any good weaponry opposed to all the other GTA's where you could get the good stuff the second the intro is finished. Money making too. Outside of campaign missions, the stock market and that $25,000 underwater briefcase are the only real ways to make money. There used to be a variety of ways to make cash in GTA games but V tries to slow the player down with these new changes.

I'm not going to say IV nails down everything, obviously it does not. GTA V was supposed to be a return to form of SA but V is the one demanding I "do my homework" when SA provides the fun from the very start.

ChiroVette

Personally, I feel the same about V. In some areas V is the one forcing me to eat the supper before dessert where previous GTA's don't.

To each his own, I guess! I had to suck it up and deal with a GTA I hated and whinged about in 2008. So I get your consternation, I really do. Now its your turn to not be happy with a GTA game. I can attest to the fact that, it happens. Oh well. Not trivializing your position at all, because I am actually sympathetic. I obviously don't agree with you, though.

For example, in previous games, including IV, you could go collect a high-end weapon if you knew where to look. V doesn't spawn any high-end weapons anywhere in the gameworld with Carbine's only obtainable by assaulting Fort Zancudo. You NEED to progress the story to get any good weaponry opposed to all the other GTA's where you could get the good stuff the second the intro is finished. Money making too.

Really? You can get all the weapons as free pickups, including the RPG, Snipers, assault rifles, sticky bombs, and even molotov's which are not available in Ammuniations:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/696088-weapons-locations/

Outside of campaign missions, the stock market and that $25,000 underwater briefcase are the only real ways to make money. There used to be a variety of ways to make cash in GTA games but V tries to slow the player down with these new changes.

Money is only a little on the cheap side early in the game. But I had lots of fun with the re-spawning briefcases. Also, unless you are trying to buy the Golf Course, some of the high priced Theaters as Michael, or the really expensive online purchases, most stuff in V can be bought really early on. I never felt like money was ever a struggle when I was playing the game on the PS3. Obviously not counting my PC save where I have Native Trainer installed. But even on the PS3 GTA V, I always bought the vast majority of the things I wanted when I wanted them without cheats.

I'm not going to say IV nails down everything, obviously it does not. GTA V was supposed to be a return to form of SA but V is the one demanding I "do my homework" when SA provides the fun from the very start.

Look, if you are comparing V to SA and saying it isn't as free, you're preaching to the choir, my friend. I agree. In many ways, only Saints Row games give you that kind of freedom. Maybe Just Cause 2, if you count the Parachute + Grapple Hook and add in the thrusters, and of course, Just Cause 3, which adds the wingsuit. But I NEVER claimed that V was as uninhibitedly free as San Andreas.

We can agree to disagree about IV, because, while I am gutting my way through the Episodes, and almost done, I am definitely NOT feeling the freedom or the love. lol

ViceBoy69

Why is it whenever anyone is negative about GTA5 you rant on about GTA4 being crap? it might be crap to you, but to a lot of people its a damn sight more playable than the turd GTA5 is.

How can you like a game that has limited single player and forces you to go online and buy crap to get the most out of? you really are deluded.

hasidichomeboy

Why is it whenever anyone is negative about GTA5 you rant on about GTA4 being crap? it might be crap to you, but to a lot of people its a damn sight more playable than the turd GTA5 is.

How can you like a game that has limited single player and forces you to go online and buy crap to get the most out of? you really are deluded.

how can you be so angry enough to call someone names when they don't like something you do??? just calm down and go on with your day

skau

That's just ChiroVette's usual "GTA IV is sh*t and everyone who likes it are nazis" sh*tpost.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

Because angry IV fans like those two cannot tolerate that they are in a small, fractional minority who are fetishizing a 10 year old game, long after Rockstar and the majority of GTA fans have moved on.

By the way? I was discussing the merits of both games with several people, in a calm, rational, and civil tone, without insults or character assassinations like skau and ViceBoy69 just spewed out for no reason. Notice I was NOT saying IV sucked? We were actually having a nice conversation before those two decided to add NOTHING but ad hominem arguments.

Edited by ChiroVette

Lioshenka
Posted (edited)

I will not buy GTA 6 if it has GTA 4 physics. Can't seriously understand how anyone could like them? Totally pointless off road.

But I also won't buy GTA 6 unless I am sure it is as fun and beautiful as GTA SA or GTA 3. I want the game to be captivating, challenging, but at the same time if I want a break from all the missions I want the game to offer me something to kill my time. Beautiful scenery, dozens of simple side activities, no stupid realism like animals killing you or falling trying to climb a tiny rock.

I don't hate 5, it was a fun game - but it was poorly designed. I still haven't achieved 100% completion, and I don't really want to go back to it after completing most of the missions. It takes forever to load, the characters wonder around the map - there's just too many pointless additions which ruin the experience.

As I said before: release SA with a new map similar in style, but completely different in shape, and I'll gladly pay the full price for it.

R* has swayed away from their audience. They forgot that people who played the original GTAs are now successful adults in their 30-ies who are prepared to pay large sums of money for a quality product that will let them relax after a stressful day in the office. A £10 silicone stroker will do this just as well as an overpriced game.

I hope someone (looking at The Benz) will realise this and fill the market niche.

Edited by Lioshenka

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

R* has swayed away from their audience. They forgot that people who played the original GTAs are now successful adults in their 30-ies who are prepared to pay large sums of money for a quality product that will let them relax after a stressful day in the office. A £10 silicone stroker will do this just as well as an overpriced game.

You want the truth?

And this is not meant in a derogatory way, but I honestly believe that IV confused Rockstar in a lot of ways. What do I mean? Well, the game sold mega copies and made a ton of money for Rockstar and Take2. It launched to incredible praise from critics and media acclaim. A lot of GTA fans loved the game. BUT a few days to a week or so after the game was released, a lot of fans, like myself, who had played through enough of IV to know we didn't like it, started complaining. A LOT. I could see by Dan And Sam Houser's posture in the media, that they really thought they had a masterpiece on their hands with IV, because the graphics, for its time at least, were intended to be and highly regarded as "movie quality."

So after the dust settled, and Rockstar was counting the sales and Take2 counting the profits, I believe that the Housers, who only wanted to please the largest number of gamers AND GTA fans alike, must have been scratching their heads, befuddled. This was probably the shortest honeymoon in GTA history. Now what do you do if you are Sam Houser? Even with the incredible sales, phenomenal reviews, and so many fans enjoying the game, the cracks in the foundation manifested and now, how could it possible be that so many GTA fans not only don't like the game, but HATE it?

My honest opinion, and again, this is not a dig against IV, is that the Housers, for better or worse, changed the entire philosophy, particularly after the manic fun of San Andreas and Vice City. So what did they do? They tried to please everyone by compromising with V, to bring back some of the wacky fun of San Andreas, but still keep enough of the "realism" intact to not alienate the fans of IV while pleasing the fans of SA.

You want to know something? It almost worked. It would have worked, in fact, except for one little thing, one HORRIBLE thing. Online and shark card sales became such a cash cow that they completely abandoned SP support, in the form of DLC, updates, new content, Episodes, and maybe new additions to the map. Have you ever stopped to think that had Rockstar continued developing SP content for V, that they could have then started to target people like the folks in this forum who wanted V to be more of a sequel to IV instead of an amalgamation of IV and SA?

-Some people complain a lot about enterable buildings? No problem. Just add them. You know, like the modders did!

-Some people complain about no Vigilante missions, like there were in IV? No problem. Just add them to police cars.

-Some people wanted a more serious story? Fine, add an extension of IV's story to V's DLC that is more serious. Maybe bring back Niko in some role (lol without necessarily killing him off) as a boss or mission giver.

-Some people want a more urban jungle like LC in IV? No Problem. Just add IV's map with updated graphics as an expansion pack. Obviously since LC and LS are on two different coasts, you would have to fly back and forth.

-Some people don't like the lack of forest? No problem. Either add more trees to the map, like the modders did, or add another island that is more like Back-O-Beyond and Red County.

-Some people complain because they think that LS and Blaine are not their cup of tea? No problem. Add in Fierro and Venturras, and charge whatever you want for the new real estate plus mission packs.

-Some people complain that there isn't enough money early in V? No problem. Add an update that allows more money to be had earlier in the game.

See what I mean? How many things when thinking of the sh*t we argue about in this forum would have been fixed for those who think they are broken, if Rockstar would have focused attention on SP? Even if I don't personally think those things I mentioned above are broken, so what? I already have the awesome game I want in V. Rockstar REALLY missed an incredible opportunity to please and cater to all of the IV fans who were dissatisfied with V.

Edited by ChiroVette

Miamivicecity

A GTA IV-esque DLC would've been nice similarly to how TBOGT offsetted GTA IV and TLAD, but I guess we'll never find out cause sharkcard sales...

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

A GTA IV-esque DLC would've been nice similarly to how TBOGT offsetted GTA IV and TLAD, but I guess we'll never find out cause sharkcard sales...

The thing is that the Episodes were only a one time DLC which for 2008 was somewhat normal. But when I read about and watch all the crazy Youtube videos that show all the insanely awesome stuff they have been adding to GTAO, two things become obvious:

The first is that we live in an era of gaming where developers can basically take a game and a world like GTA, and instead of releasing a new one, say every year to three years (like they did with FIVE 3D Era GTA games) they can simply keep adding to the world of an already existing game. The second is that, for whatever reasons, instead of solid DLC for SP and continued support of Online, Take2 and Rockstar have decided SP support, post release, is no longer worth their time. My guess is because console/PC devs, even Rockstar,have finally adopted the intrinsically corrupt Freemium business model with their Online component, AND it could be that some of this, at least, is the fault of us players.

Well, not the people in this forum who mostly would surely buy SP DLC and lap up future SP content, but the masses. As much as I am not a huge fan of the Episodes, and now I have finally played and finished them, forget my opinion on the two games. The Episodes launched to MASSIVE critical acclaim, and were heralded by critics as arguably among the best DLC ever released for a game, back in 2009, when they launched. MS even gave them a 50 million dollar payoff, pre-release, to have exclusivity of them for, I think it was 6 months. So even MS was enamored with the potential money GTA could make. Yet, even with all of that, the Episodes were a financial failure, both for Rockstar and for MS.

So I guess we really have to ask ourselves, whose fault is all of this? If GTA IV was incredibly popular when it launched, which it clearly was, regardless of what I personally think of the game, then how in the hell did the Episodes not make Rockstar a f*ck-ton of money? Maybe, as I said, its the fault of the average gamer, or the masses of gamers, who buy a game like GTA IV or V, love it for its shiny newness, but just for a little while. When DLC releases a few months or a year later, most of them are like, "Who cares? The new God of War is coming out and I stopped playing GTA months ago!" As much as I hate the thuggery inherent in the freemium business model, I am going to take a Devil's advocate position here and say that maybe all of this is our fault, and by "us" I mean all gamers collectively. NOT the people in this forum who desperately want SP DLC and who are not interested in Online.

Because at the end of the day, if Rockstar sees that they are making hundreds of millions of dollars with GTA online, and they have seen all the effort they put into the Episodes a decade ago go completely to waste from a financial standpoint, then whose fault is it really that there is no SP DLC? Maybe the fault lies BOTH with the millions of players still fetishizing GTAO and who are continually lining the coffers of Take2 AND, as I already said, with the massive amounts of GTA customers who line up to buy the SP game, but when DLC is finally released, they have already moved on to the next shiny game.

Maybe the answer for future GTA releases is for Rockstar.Take2 to hedge their bet, and do what a lot of gaming companies are doing with things like Season Passes that can be purchased at a discount in a package at release with the game, or later on at full price. Also, different Editions with things like extra content for pre ordering (Rockstar did this with V) and also other perks and extra content for people buying the Premium Edition, The obvious problem with this, however, and a valid argument by MANY players, is that things like Premium Editions and Season Passes (usually with extra mission packs, and staggered release dates) can give developers an opportunity for abuse. Many gamers feel like the companies that create Season Passes and extra Day1 DLC are really just holding back content that simply should have been in the actual released game.

Not sure what the f*cking answer is to this, but for me, at least, I can say unequivocally that GTAO, at least in its present form, is NOT for me. Not one little bit.

Edited by ChiroVette

Lioshenka

See what I mean? How many things when thinking of the sh*t we argue about in this forum would have been fixed for those who think they are broken, if Rockstar would have focused attention on SP? Even if I don't personally think those things I mentioned above are broken, so what? I already have the awesome game I want in V. Rockstar REALLY missed an incredible opportunity to please and cater to all of the IV fans who were dissatisfied with V.

I have to admit that I disagree on many things that you said earlier in this thread, but I think that this post summarises this pretty well. GTA philosophy has changed - but didn't they say that GTA 5 was all about the "almighty dollar"? The sad irony is that it not only described the game, it described this R*'s attitude towards the series.

We could have had a couple of more GTAs by now, where they would have address the things that people have complained about.

Ash_735

The Episodes launched to MASSIVE critical acclaim, and were heralded by critics as arguably among the best DLC ever released for a game, back in 2009, when they launched. MS even gave them a 50 million dollar payoff, pre-release, to have exclusivity of them for, I think it was 6 months. So even MS was enamored with the potential money GTA could make. Yet, even with all of that, the Episodes were a financial failure, both for Rockstar and for MS.

We have to remember that possibly in a way the exclusive deal HURT the sales too and PC and PS3 Gamers swore off buying it when it came to their platforms and instead opted for the EFLC instead. And a VERY BIG thing to remember is that in 2008/9, $20 for a DLC was considered INSANE cost wise (even though it could be counted as an Expansion Pack but that only exists in PC Gaming lingo *shrugs). Undead Nightmare sold a lot more and Rockstar did mention that $10-15 seems to be the sweet spot most are willing to bite. Fast forward to today and we got people throwing money at loot crates/boxes, etc, it's crazy how much a difference one generation makes.

Journey_95

how can you be so angry enough to call someone names when they don't like something you do??? just calm down and go on with your day

Its fine to not like it but to bring it up in every f*cking thread and obsess over it and its fans is just annoying as hell.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

Its fine to not like it but to bring it up in every f*cking thread and obsess over it and its fans is just annoying as hell.

Get over it and learn to read. Or don't get over it, and keep getting pissed off and venting about us discussing the comparisons between the games. Hahaha. Its of no consequence to me if you want to lose your sh*t and get yourself into a tizzy because we compare the games. We were actually discussing the TWO GAMES in a really interesting and civil way until you and your angry compatriots brought your whincgy little butthurt into the thread. Before that it was actually an interesting slant on the comparisons.

I was NOT even the one who brought up IV and all the comparisons. lol Domac brought up V and "all the things it does different," which is perfectly fair. But a great deal of his post was OBVIOUSLY meant to delineate how V is different than Snore IV. One more thing, honey. When the criticisms lobbed at V, which I would agree are all acceptable and on topic, are transparent IV fanboyism, even if you little fanboys are slick enough to not actually name the game, I will feel free to avail myself of the prerogative to disregard your surreptitious IV-advocacy and respond appropriately to you. In short, just because you may not be name-dropping IV in your wacky little rants, does not mean you aren't really talking about V versus IV.

Just to let ya know! :)

We have to remember that possibly in a way the exclusive deal HURT the sales too and PC and PS3 Gamers swore off buying it when it came to their platforms and instead opted for the EFLC instead. And a VERY BIG thing to remember is that in 2008/9, $20 for a DLC was considered INSANE cost wise (even though it could be counted as an Expansion Pack but that only exists in PC Gaming lingo *shrugs). Undead Nightmare sold a lot more and Rockstar did mention that $10-15 seems to be the sweet spot most are willing to bite. Fast forward to today and we got people throwing money at loot crates/boxes, etc, it's crazy how much a difference one generation makes.

Agreed, and good information, thanks!

Edited by ChiroVette

.Smaher.

How'd you fail to see how ironic this was when you typed it?

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

How'd you fail to see how ironic this was when you typed it?

lol I have a few theories. But this thread has been derailed enough thanks to pointless, personal attacks and character assassinations. The irony is that before the trio of angry fans swooped in, they apparently missed the fact that the IV and V fans have been having a REALLY NICE conversation about the differences between the two games and solutions that could have been implemented. To be honest, I really like it when we V fans can find common ground with IV fans and can discuss the things that unite us and NOT just what divides us. Not to mention it is enjoyable when people are more tolerant of the opposing opinions.

On topic, whether a GTA game "feels like" GTA or not really is a matter of personal opinion.

Edited by ChiroVette

Miamivicecity

To be honest, I really like it when we V fans can find common ground with IV fans and can discuss the things that unite us and NOT just what divides us.

I like it too. What's the saying? Opposites attract. It's always good to find some common ground because going at it cut throat over which game is better becomes exhausting.

Really what game feels "GTA" is going to depend on one's tastes. For me it's GTA III, Vice City, GTA IV and TLAD because I enjoy those games' more direct and streamlined focuses on the concept.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

I like it too. What's the saying? Opposites attract. It's always good to find some common ground because going at it cut throat over which game is better becomes exhausting.

And this also has functional, and real-world practical benefit as well. I have gotten PM's from people who found some of the V fans commentary about the two games enough to make them want to give V another try, even while being initially unimpressed or critical. This is not to say that we V fans can convert IV fans or visa versa, BUT there is room to learn new things from these constant dialogs. I know for an absolute fact that the ONLY reason I purchased and played the Episodes was not because I had any intrinsic interest in them, but because of talking to people like you, Ash, Misunderstood, and others who recommended them for one reason or another. I paid a mere $5.00 I think on a STEAM sale for the two Episodes, and even though I have not been converted to IV (anymore than others might be converted to V) I don't feel like I wasted my time or even the few pennies I paid for them.

Benefits like this come from open communication and civil discourse.

Also, I learned things about IV I didn't know from guys on this forum, because I haven't played it for over ten years. Things like the difference between the overall game physics versus Euphoria, the advantages IV offers with hand to hand combat, the differences in IV's more accurate car deformation than V, the IV protagonists being able to take more firepower than V's, more realistic gun sounds in IV, likely because IV's enemies are also buffed, and many other things that were it not for the constant dialog, I would have remained ignorant of.

Edited by ChiroVette

.Smaher.

I won't lie, the first thing that comes to mind when I think "GTA" is IV. Definitely because it was the first GTA I played.

Official General
Posted (edited)

To be honest, I really like it when we V fans can find common ground with IV fans and can discuss the things that unite us and NOT just what divides us.

Really what game feels "GTA" is going to depend on one's tastes. For me it's GTA III, Vice City, GTA IV and TLAD because I enjoy those games' more direct and streamlined focuses on the concept.

I will straight up say that IV does "feel" more like GTA to me than V does. Not because I like it better, it just had more of that classic GTA feeling to me - the fact that main and core theme of the storyline was centred around gangs, drug-traffickers, mobs and Mafia crime families more than likely explains this feeling.

Edited by Official General

Miamivicecity
Posted (edited)

I will straight up say that IV does "feel" more like GTA to me than V does. Not because I like it better, it just had more of that classic GTA feeling to me - the fact that main and core theme of the storyline was centred around gangs, drug-traffickers, mobs and Mafia crime families more than likely explains this feeling.

Same. Whenever I play GTA IV it makes me feel like when I first played GTA III and even the top down GTAs in someways. Obviously GTA IV is very different when it comes to aesthetics and certain gameplay elements, but the ideas still feel old school. It's just a lot more modernised. Take vigilante missions for example. Rather than the old R3 style that was in previous games R* incorporated the police computer in to allow players to choose from different crimes to attend to.

I always enjoyed GTA games as the freelance criminal working for different criminal organisations. That feeling is somwhat lost in GTA V to me with the protagonists mostly working for themselves. It just feels like it takes away opportunities to experience relevant organisations such as drug cartels, other kinds of street gangs etc. That's really what I miss. I'm fine without the mafia because it has no relevance to the setting and I've already expressed a number of times I don't like how the FIB seem to smother the last half of the story.

I paid a mere $5.00 I think on a STEAM sale for the two Episodes, and even though I have not been converted to IV (anymore than others might be converted to V) I don't feel like I wasted my time or even the few pennies I paid for them.

I think it's good you gave them a go even if they're not necessarily to your liking. Personally I always thought they were great additions to GTA IV (TLAD in particular), but TBOGT is pretty cool too. You can see where the cues were taken from TBOGT when R* were developing GTA V.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

TommyTheMan

I don't think it lost all of it, but it definitely lost some of the original feel of working your way up through the ranks of criminals and unlocking new islands to explore etc... Not to mention the old 'fundamentals' of older classic GTA's like paramedic and vigilante that this game has left out completely whereas in GTA IV we at least got the Most Wanted and criminals in police computer that were somewhat reminiscent of the older GTA's vigilante-system. The only one this game has kept are Taxi-missions which are completely optional and frankly not really worth it compared to the many ways you can make cash in this game (stock-market).

I'd also have to say the special abilities the protagonists have are not really something I'd expect from a GTA-game but rather from Saint's Row, which could also be applied to all of the over-the-top stuff this game has introduced (mostly for online) like flying cars and motorcycles with rockets etc. (not to mention the ability to roll cars when upside down which has absolutely nothing to with realism).

So in other words, I think GTA V has just taken a big backstep towards it's other competitors and forgotten the fundamentals which made the series so special and one of the greatest game-franchises of all time. I'm honestly very concerned about the future of the series and if and when there will be next GTA, I don't think it will be something that could truly be labeled as GTA anymore (with The Benz gone and all).

.Smaher.

How do you compare the special abilities to Saints Row first, and not Red Dead Redemption, Midnight Club, or Max Payne? That wasn't a good analogy.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

Even if you and I disagree about this because V feels way more like old school GTA to me, I can definitely see how some things, not just because you like them, could make the game feel more like GTA to you and others. I think the point of the conversation in this thread is that we can all go back and forth and I can give a litany of reasons why V feels more like "GTA"to me, and you can do the same. But the best case scenario that can come out of this is not you or I changing our minds so much as understanding why different fans can have such diametrically opposed opinions on what a real GTA game should and should not be.

Because, in the end, you are bringing up completely valid points about why IV feels more "GTAish" to you. There are some, I am discovering, like Lioshenka who believe that neither game particularly feels like a GTA game. And while I disagree on some points, he really has brought some very thought-provoking ideas about how both games in many ways have strayed from classic GTA fare.

To me, this is the only real value of comparing the two games. The ability to disagree and still see the opposing positions for its intrinsic validity.

Edited by ChiroVette

deltaCJ
Posted (edited)

In my honest opinion, V could have been a great game...

But it turned out to be a big disappointment for me.

It starts off with a new and fun concept: 3 Protagonists.

Great! This means more missions, and a great story!

Missions: Mostly boring and pointless

Story: Iffy

You don't know how many times I have played GTA 5 and literally turned off the console while playing, because I got so bored while playing some missions. (Obviously I saved.)

And after the sh*t ton of boring missions you have the Strangers and Freaks, Races, and other cool stuff to do.

But of course, after every GTA game it does get boring after a while. Completing all the S&F missions, stunt-jumps, and races, obviously there is nothing else to do. So? What do we do now?

Online of course!

Online was probably the biggest let down for me. I would have been fine with single-player, but if it wasn't for online, I wouldn't have the same views I would have on it right now.

It was a cool way to mix the online story-line to the single-player story-line (Lamar, Lester, and such.) but even playing those missions were absolutely boring, (especially either waiting people to play with you, or begging your friends to get off of what other games they're playing, and play the mission with you.) Heists were actually pretty good. Pretty fun in my experience. All the other "DLC's" were just cars I spent money on, or the business offices and sh*t.

Now, onto game-play mechanics, and such.

GTA V, has some good mechanics and fun physics.

I love the rocket cars (online), and blowing stuff up, probably the most entertaining thing to do.

But the most annoying thing ever, are the pedestrians, the police, and gang members (which I guess belong to the pedestrian group lol :p)

Literally standing around will get you 1 star. (And if you don't know they shoot at 1 star.)

Now if I just started out, New game and all. If I bump into someone and just listen to what they say (Something I loved to do in SA, the voice lines were hilarious!) I will have 1 star, and a cop on my ass shooting me.

"Why don't you just get a car and drive away?"

Well, that means I would have to steal one, which then would give me 2 stars.

"But you can evade the police..."

Maybe I don't want to evade the f*cking police, maybe I just want to listen to some funny f*cking voice lines.

The "feel" of GTA V? Well there isn't really a feel to it. It just feels like a regular 3rd-Person shooter, open-world game.

I would honestly play Saints Row IV over 5, and thats just because SR IV has the super powers.

GTA V doesn't feel like a GTA, and that's because of the reasons above.

There's no humor like the old GTA's, no freedom, and no fun.

IV was almost just as bad. (YOU COULDN'T EVEN PARACHUTE IN IV? WTF?)

IV had the grimy feeling of LC, which I give props for remaking.

Even though IV is the exact opposite of V, IV's story was pretty whack.

I'm not going into detail as this is about V not IV.

But of course you can't please everybody.

Let's just all look forward to RDR II coming in October :r*:

Edited by deltaCJ

deltaCJ

How do you compare the special abilities to Saints Row first, and not Red Dead Redemption, Midnight Club, or Max Payne? That wasn't a good analogy.

I'm sorry to double post, but lemme just point out that, we are talking about G. T. A. Not any of the other games.

Red Dead Redemption took the slo-mo ability from Red Dead Revolver the previous game.

Midnight Club is a racing game.

And Max Payne is a whole different game, which revolves around the Bullet Time mechanic.

scorpioxdragon

Well, I've been with GTA since SA... I don't know what the GTA "feel" is because SA, IV and V, all feel different to me.... and aren't they SUPPOSED TO anyway?

I mean, I understand if people don't like V... some like legacy, some like innovation. Maybe Rockstar can do like another publisher did and have different installments worked on by different teams. Maybe separate it like "GTA Classic" and "GTA Modern" or something. Or they could do like another developer and allow in game switching between the two.

To be honest I was really curious about why this topic was so popular so I went and popped in my old GTA IV disc... it was very unpleasant, and a lot less fun then I remember. I tried really hard to stay awake but IV seriously put me to bed.

Granted when I played SA and IV, I was a bit younger, but honestly, I don't remember the stories (I do remember the ending of IV though). But I'm never going to forget Michael and Trevor's stories.

There really is nothing that sticks out for me from SA or IV. I can list everything I distinctly remember from those and it's a very short list.

SA:

-Gangsters ride bikes.

-Cool, a helicopter!

IV:

-My brother died.

-Wow, this game is pretty boring after you finish the story.

Not trying to diss either of those, that's just all I remember at this point. I do also remember one of those having a helicopter drone mission and one having a construction area shootout. And I DO remember having fun playing both games, at the time. But whatever the "feel" was, it clearly was lost on me.

In contrast, I've had TONS of fun with V and I'll remember most of it. There are a few things that annoy me though, especially for getting 100% on the game.

-flight school

-stunt jumps (25.. really?!)

-under bridge

-knife flights

-win golf

-win tennis

-win darts

Granted, none of those are really hard per say, especially after you've done them a few times, but they are extremely tedious in that I did NOT buy GTA for the mini-games, and I do not find any of the ones I listed particularly fun.

V is also extremely gorgeous to look at, and I do prefer the fighting, shooting, and driving mechanics over previous installments.

But all that aside, how do you innovate without losing the feel?

I also understand, the special ability thing may seem really out of place... but you don't need to use it. I also kinda feel like Michael and Franklin's abilities should've been switched.

.Smaher.
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to double post, but lemme just point out that, we are talking about G. T. A. Not any of the other games.

Red Dead Redemption took the slo-mo ability from Red Dead Revolver the previous game.

Midnight Club is a racing game.

And Max Payne is a whole different game, which revolves around the Bullet Time mechanic.

You couldnt have missed my point more. I said those games were more comparible to the special features than Saints Row of all games. The fact that theyre not GTA, like Saints Row, is my point.

Also, to respond to your GTA V couldve been a great game, I know thats your opinion and all, but being the third best selling video game ever, and making more money than any movie ever ($6 billion) would constitute it as a great game to the majority, at the most.

Edited by .Smaher.

Domac
Posted (edited)

Because those games featured it in the first place. Maybe if RDR2 removes the dead-eye ability, no one will say it lost the originaL RDR feel because RDR1 is the only RDR besides the coming RDR2.

GTA is a series that have lasted for 21 years now, and they all had something unique that made them feel like GTA. GTA V put some new features, and removed some all the original GTAs had (TommyTheMan said some of them).

In old GTAs you felt like you were a criminal that had lots of problems and stuff, and you had to rob people and do missions to get to the top and kill the bad guys. In GTA V you don't because, you are invincible, you can kill like 1000 cops troughout the heists, but you can't kill an FIB agent that is right next to you with a gun and escape. The heists aren't even that realistic as they were in past GTAs. There is also too many of them.

Edited by Domac

CoolMods

I agree with this.

GTA V is loved only by kids who complain about graphics, they insult the 3D Era games which are the best, and say on gta v stupid sh*t like "iT HaS tHE bEsT gRapHics" or many childish people who say that complain at "Any 3D GTA > GTA V" which is facts, they say that "you can't afford GTA 5" "you never understood GTA 5"

Thank you for this thread. Also the characters weren't even good at all, and what they did to Johnny's girlfriend is unbelivable. She looks like she came from the trash or something.