1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Rikintosh

Rikintosh's Small Details Mod (textures of car interiors)

Rikintosh
Posted (edited)

Sem_ttulo.png

Features:

- Much of the interior (and exterior in some cases) were made based on the actual cars on which the game was based, for example the interior of the Club, was made based on Vw golf and Vw Polo. This gave me a lot of work as I had to look for car items such as door panel, dashboard, and even seat fabric, on google, manipulate them in the image editor, often taking over 40 minutes of work for each texture by car. The work consisted of also testing the editions in the game, because the vehicles were not originally well mapped, I had to stay testing every edition that made in the texture to see if it was good.

Wheels and hubcaps were made based on the original wheels and hubcaps. Some cars in the game use wheel models that do not allow you to enter a suitable texture, for example the tahoma, which features a polygonal wheel model that looks nothing like what should Monte Carlo Sport Coupe.

gallery119.1.jpg

Sem_ttulo.2.png

gallery103.1.jpg

gallery201.jpg

The vast majority of the txd files for interior of the vehicles are 512x512, for a good definition, without loss of performance. As soon as the mod is finished, I'll make a special edition of the mod with the same textures in 128x128 (original size), for low end computers, and consoles.

My mod requires a vehicles.txd that matches its textures, I have already developed it, and it will be attached to the mod. I will include vehicle.txd variants that have more textures than the default due to other mods, for it to easily work with third-party mods.

I also tried to keep all cars compatible with the cars of the beta version of the game

In the future, maybe I can develop a mod like this for gta III and vice city!

Download here

My mod was based on this mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/original-vehicles-hq-retextured

By the way, what motivated me to make this mod, was the above mod, I did not like the cars with a gray, poor, and generic interior, but I liked some textures (like the advertisements in the vans). I took some textures (which had an absurd size of 2048p) for my mod (resized to 512 or 256)

Edited by Rikintosh

Rikintosh
Posted (edited)

Edited by Rikintosh

LaDiDa

TumdBnz.png

Why use a watermarked image though? :turn:

Rikintosh
Posted (edited)

TumdBnz.png

Why use a watermarked image though? :turn:

Oops! I forgot to edit this image!

Thanks for reporting

Edited by Rikintosh

Nihilist.

By the way, what motivated me to make this mod, was the above mod, I did not like the cars with a gray, poor, and generic interior, but I liked some textures (like the advertisements in the vans). I took some textures (which had an absurd size of 2048p) for my mod (resized to 512 or 256)

I sure hope you asked the mod's creator(s) for permission. Stealing is not a very nice thing, you know.

I think I like the general idea, adding details to already existing vehicles, keeping their original style. However, judging by the screenshots, new textures kinda stick out at times - their resolution and quality are pretty high compared to what R* has made originally. Overall, not bad, but it needs polishing here and there.

Lastly, I don't think there's much of a point of releasing an LQ version of the mod for super low end computers. I mean, hardware gets old, which is easily observable with hard drives, which can last couple of years, but eventually start to show up bad sectors corrupting data and slowing down the OS and/or permanently destroying data necessary for it to work properly. If someone still uses a 20 year old PC, they most likely won't even think about playing games. The target audience for your mod's LQ release will be very limited. Not sure if there's a point, or would it simply be a waste of time to you.

Either way, I wish you luck. It may become one of the small, subtle mods that make the game better without making it different. And I like that kind of mods.

Rikintosh

I sure hope you asked the mod's creator(s) for permission. Stealing is not a very nice thing, you know.

I think I like the general idea, adding details to already existing vehicles, keeping their original style. However, judging by the screenshots, new textures kinda stick out at times - their resolution and quality are pretty high compared to what R* has made originally. Overall, not bad, but it needs polishing here and there.

Lastly, I don't think there's much of a point of releasing an LQ version of the mod for super low end computers. I mean, hardware gets old, which is easily observable with hard drives, which can last couple of years, but eventually start to show up bad sectors corrupting data and slowing down the OS and/or permanently destroying data necessary for it to work properly. If someone still uses a 20 year old PC, they most likely won't even think about playing games. The target audience for your mod's LQ release will be very limited. Not sure if there's a point, or would it simply be a waste of time to you.

Either way, I wish you luck. It may become one of the small, subtle mods that make the game better without making it different. And I like that kind of mods.

Yes, I contacted the creator of the original mod.
This is the first version of my mod, I posted it here in the forum to hear suggestions for improvement, and critiques to improve it!
The idea of lowering the textures would be mainly because I'm going to use it in my modded xbox classic, and it would be a waste not to make them available to the public after that ...

thalilmythos
Posted (edited)

This seems very nice, i actually do see the point of releasing an LQ version, with textures the size of the actual game for more natural feeling, and also performance, i play on a laptop with not a very strong processor because i'm not a gamer at all i just like old gta's and modding, i'm one of a few, however, it still would be appreciated.

Also, i don't think downscalling the textures will take that much work (i don't know, i'm guessing here from what i know about modding txds)

I'm still going to use it as it is because daammmn this deserves checking out, i love stuff that adds details to the game, i do that myself but with cleo scripts.

I have just one question, is this mipmapped?

Edited by thalilmythos

CoolMods

I really love the new interior textures! Keep up!

LaDiDa

They're mostly mipmapped, seems to have missed a few here and there (those are still the vanilla textures though).

One thing I didn't like are the random Rikintosh watermarks with Portuguese text in the textures though, if people want to steal your content they will regardless of those (fairly easy to remove) watermarks.

Rikintosh
Posted (edited)

They're mostly mipmapped, seems to have missed a few here and there (those are still the vanilla textures though).

One thing I didn't like are the random Rikintosh watermarks with Portuguese text in the textures though, if people want to steal your content they will regardless of those (fairly easy to remove) watermarks.

The watermarks found are not mine, they are from the images I found on google from sites that wanted to sell them in full size. I added some texts and phrases in the textures as an internal joke among Brazilian modders, who have references to Brazilian culture

The parts of the textures that contain texts and phrases, are not mapped on the cars, it is not in game visible

Edited by Rikintosh