1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

GTAKid667

Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game Lounge

GTAKid667
Posted (edited)

z8bbVa9.png
Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game Lounge

The Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game is a Forum-Based Relay Game for the PC Version of Grand Theft Auto IV. Players take it in turns to complete Grand Theft Auto IV "from Zero to Hero", starting a new Save File at the very beginning of the game and taking it all the way through to 100% Completion.

The Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game Lounge is a discussion area for the Chain Game Players to chat and ask questions. There will be regular Chain Game Announcements posted by the Chain Game Staff on the latest news and developments of the game, as well as any important information about current and future Chain Game Rounds. Discussion in the Chain Game Lounge should be kept civil at all times and any personal issues you have with another player of the game should be strictly kept to the PM System.

sFcSv1F.png
The Chain Game Discord Server

Discord is an Instant Messaging Platform where groups of users can communicate together through Text and Voice Chat Channels. The Chain Game has a Discord Server that all Chain Game Players and Members of the GTAForums Community with an interest in the game are welcome to join.

The Chain Game Discord Server has an Announcements Channel, where information on the latest Chain Game Announcements and Rounds will be posted, as well as a General Text Channel for discussion with the other Chain Game Players. There is also a separate Voice Chat Channel available for anyone who would like to use it.

You will need to use your GTAForums Username on The Chain Game Server. If you are registered on Discord under a different name, you can contact a member of Chain Game Staff and request for your name to be changed. If you have never used Discord, getting started is easy. Just follow the Invite Link, enter a username and then can complete the full registration process.

The Discord Server will be moderated by the Chain Game Staff. It is expected that all players respect each other and other users of GTAForums when posting messages in the Server. Those who choose to post deliberately hurtful messages or content deemed inappropriate will be kicked and therefore unable to participate in any further discussion.

wVbzEtt.png
The Chain Game Steam Group

The Chain Game has a Steam Group that all Chain Game Players and Members of the GTAForums Community with an interest in the game are welcome to join. Information the latest Chain Game Rounds will be posted as Discussion Topics and you will also be able to find the Steam Profiles of other Chain Game Players. 

9Q1MJhH.png
The Chain Game Twitter Page

The Chain Game has a Twitter Page @GTAChainGame which all Chain Game Players and Member of the GTAForums Community with an interest in the game can follow to keep up to date with the latest Chain Game Round Launches and important Chain Game Announcements. 

Edited by GTAKid667

GTAKid667
Posted (edited)

j1pPdNF.png
Games For Windows Live Restrictions

The PC Version of Grand Theft Auto IV uses Games For Windows Live which restricts players of the game to only being able to load Save Files they've created themselves. This means that an unmodified version of Grand Theft Auto IV would not allow you to be able to load any Save File that was created or downloaded elsewhere and as such would render the concept of a Chain Game impossible.

XLiveLess is a modification that enables support for loading Save Files that were created by other users, and all players of the Chain Game are required to have the modification installed in order to participate as this will allow them to be able to load the save file submitted by the previous player of the game.

It's easy to install XLiveLess! All users of Grand Theft Auto IV on PC can download the modification here. This file differs from the download provided in the official thread as it has been modified to enable support for versions of the game higher than Patch 1.0.7.0. Any user running Patch 1.0.7.0 or lower should have no issue with downloading the file from the offical XLiveLess Thread, though users who have a higher patch installed may find that using that file they're unable to load some of the Save Files used throughout the round. Thanks to Parik for providing an updated version of the modification to allow support for all game versions.

Once downloaded, unpack the .rar archive and move the xlive.dll file to your Grand Theft Auto IV Directory. You should now be able to load any Grand Theft Auto IV PC Save File!

Important Information
XLiveLess comes with additional functionality and changes several features of the game, the most important of which are listed below. For a full list of additions and changes refer to the XLiveLess Thread.

• All Online Functionality is disabled while the modification is installed to prevent cheating in Multiplayer. Users who want to play some Online Multiplayer outside of Chain Game Turns can simply move the xlive.dll out of their directory and then move it back in when they're ready to take turns.
  • Save Files are now located at `%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames` instead of `%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames`. Any previous Save Files created before XLiveLess was installed will remain in the folder in AppData.
  • Saving over any Save File you have previously created before XLiveLess was installed while using XLiveLess will prevent the Save File from being loadable if XLiveLess is later removed from your Grand Theft Auto IV Directory.

Thanks to listener for creating the XLiveLess Modification.

Edited by GTAKid667

GTAKid667
Posted (edited)

hSZI8SI.png
Chain Game Announcement

The Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo

Today, 29th April 2018, marks 10 Years since Grand Theft Auto IV was first released for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. 

Many users of GTAForums, myself included, will remember when this game was first released and share many memories of playing the game over the years. I can say personally that I have enjoyed every time I have loaded up Grand Theft Auto IV and have a great collection of memories of this great game, from completing the story multiple times on multiple platforms to playing multiplayer for hours on end, and I have no doubt many of you also share such memories.

The Chain Game continues to be successful in the Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas forums and this year I wanted to do something a little different with the game and test new possibilities and venture in new directions the game is yet to go. I have received a great amount of feedback from both Chain Game Players and GTAForums Users over the years about what they would like to see from the Chain Game, and something that is commonly suggested is the idea of bringing the Chain Game to newer installments of the Grand Theft Auto Series.

With 2018 marking 10 Years of Grand Theft Auto IV being released, it made sense for this to be the time to act on that request and so here we start a one-off special Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game that has been planned and worked on behind the scenes over the last few months.

I'd like to thank several members of the Chain Game Community that have made this possible:

123robot - Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game Assistant Chief who has supported the game throughout the development stages, contributing ideas and regularly giving feedback.

Parik - Developed a version of the XLiveLess Modification that supports Patch 1.0.8.0, allowing anyone running this version of Grand Theft Auto IV is able to participate in the Chain Game. Parik has also supported the game throughout the development stages, contributing ideas and feedback.

Samutz - Creator of GTASnP.com, an easy to use GTA Save File Sharing Website which is used regularly by Chain Game Players to upload the save files used in each turn of the game. Samutz and the GTASnP.com Website has helped the Chain Game immeasurably and we are extremely grateful for this service and the years of dedication Samutz has put into running it.

slohbur - Created the Chain Game Graphics that have been used throughout the Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game Rounds, Lounge and Index.

Th3MaN1 - Supported the game throughout the development stages, contributing ideas, regularly giving feedback and assisted in creating the Chain Game Rules.

thehambone - Developed a tool that reads a save file and displays the remaining Flying Rats in the game with descriptions of their locations shown on a map of Liberty City. thehambone has also supported the game throughout the development stages, contributing ideas, feedback and assisted in creating the Chain Game Rules.

TubewayArmy - Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game Deputy Chief who has supported the game throughout the development stages, contributing ideas, regularly giving feedback and working on producing the Chain Game Graphics.

It is strongly advised that all players take the time to read through our brand new Opening Posts, but for convenience I will list some of the most important things to keep in mind below:

• Turn Time Limit - The Chain Game Turn Time Limit is 3 Hours
  • Wait Rules - The Chain Game Wait Rules between turns are 2 Missions or a 4 Hour Period
  • Limits - You can complete up to one Story Mission or Assassination, one Random Encounter and as many Side Activities as you wish
  • Missions with Player Choice - It is free for the player to make the decision
  • Two Part Missions - The first part of these missions are an exception to the One Named Mission Rule and can be completed with the second part or another Named Mission
  • Phone Activated Missions - The player may complete any Phone Activated Mission except "A Revenger's Tragedy" in addition to another Named Mission
  • Other Exceptions - 'Ransom' and 'Mr and Mrs Bellic' are both exceptions to the One Named Mission Rule and can be completed in addition to another Named Mission

For now, this is considered to be a one-off round and so there are no current plans for a second round of the game, but if the demand is there and everyone enjoys playing, you can start expecting the Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game as a permanent addition to the Chain Game family later in the year.

So join us as we celebrate 10 Years of Grand Theft Auto IV and start taking turns!

The Chain Game on Twitter
9Q1MJhH.png

The Chain Game now has a Twitter Account @GTAChainGame. As with the Discord Server and Steam Group, the Twitter Account will provide regular updates on new Chain Game Round Launches and important Chain Game Announcements. All players of the Chain Game and members of the GTAForums Community that use Twitter can follow the account to keep up to date with the latest Chain Game Developments. Edited by GTAKid667

GTAKid667

I'd just like to again thank everyone for playing and joining in with the first ever round of the Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game. I had been looking forward to launching the game for a while and kept it as quiet as I could from all players of other Chain Games except for the people who assisted with the development of the game (although a few of those only found out days before!), it was great to bring out the surprise and absolutely awesome to see the kind of response we got!

Here are some highlights from my turns that I've saved. A full playlist of all Chain Game clips I've recorded out of my own or other players turns can be found at

and full archives of my turns will be able to be found at
playlist once the playlist is updated for the current round.

Highlights from GTA IV Chain Game Round 1

And regular viewers of my streams may also remember another great moment in the round where I played Pool against Little Jacob, who unbelievably had poorer Pool Skills than Michelle! How is that even possible?!

TubewayArmy

Great to see 17 players join the first revived IV Chain Game! Thanks everyone for joining!

Corndawg93

What's a "Chain Game", and how is it different to a "Chain Story"

lol232

Chain Story is where players keep making up a story. Chain Game is where players use a savefile till they all reach 100%.

cryptorelic

It was a great round for sure :)

GTAKid667

When I launched the Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game back in April, I wasn't sure what the reaction was going to be like or whether anyone would participate. Initially Round 1 was intended as a one-off round to determine the interest for a Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game and to do something new and exciting for the Chain Game Community based on several requests we've had over the years.As I mentioned in a previous announcement here, there'd be strong consideration of introducing the game as a permanent addition to the Chain Game Family alongside the Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas games should we see that interest, and I'm really glad to confirm that there definitely was a lot of interest!

Round 1 was very enjoyable for both myself and several other players I have heard from and there was a huge amount of positivity and support for the Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game that was received, which I appreciate a lot and thank everyone who took the time to pass on kind messages and those who participated. We gained new players, had contributions from a wide range of existing players, and overall had a really good time following which we held a Multiplayer Event in May. Anyone that is interested in how we got along can check out my playlist, or the videos of two game modes we played below:

I'm sticking to the promise that I made and as several players will now know already, the Grand Theft Auto IV Chain Game is here to stay. We'll be launching Round 2 of the Chain Game Monday 10th September in the morning of the BST Timezone (tomorrow morning!) and hope to see many people join in and have fun in Liberty City once again, including listening to some of the classics of IV's Large Soundtrack :)