1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Finn 7 five 11

Disabilities and diseases - Do you have one?

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I have visual snow and migraines:

visual-snow-image.jpg

Migraines are frequent, vision snow is permanent as of 2016 and getting worse. Basically everything everywhere is shimmering in "pixels" 24/7 and is even more noticeable at night.

With it came permanent sensitivity to light, so you won't catch me in sunlight, or any kind of daylight even if it's overcast, without a pair of UV blocking sunglasses. It is physically painful and visually overwhelming otherwise.

It's easy to live with but only because I've accepted it doesn't really do anything or impact my life that much. The only thing raising concern is the fact that the "snow" in my central field of vision is thicker and makes night vision blinding unless there's some kind of light source.

Unfortunately there is no cure, or treatment. My eyes and nerves are 100% healthy and after 2 years nothing has changed either despite my symptoms getting worse. But it doesn't matter because I can still live my life the way I want to. :)

Well at least try to. I've dealt with recurring depression since late elementary. Some of it has apparent no cause while unfortunately some of it does, which I'd rather not talk about. I keep active, have lost a lot of weight, have goals, hobbies and try to keep myself occupied and stuff like that. It helps me keep my mind off of it but in the end it doesn't really make it go away.

Edited by Scaglietti

GtaLegend15

I have strabismus, I’ve had it ever since I was born and people made fun of me for it . I mean I’ve embraced my imperfections and flaws because if I let people’s words affect me then I’ll just end up a sad mess and I don’t wanna be that 

Dan_1983

Schizoaffective disorder.

happygrowls

The thing that sucks about depression is that when you're happy, you don't feel like you deserve to be happy. Only somethings make you *genuinely* happy, like talkin to folks' is good. But it's hard to do so, yknow?

Feels like i'm bipolar, but i'm pretty sure those are just massive mood swings I get very often.

This topic is good, I like this topic.

Lock n' Stock

Was diagnosed with Aspergers and OCD during my teen years, and have also been very prone to extreme levels of anxiety and depression in the past.

While this has had an effect on me and my social skills, I don't feel that much different from anyone else nor consider myself "socially awkward" these days. I'm more or less just an ordinary guy.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Myopia when I was 11 years old. I have glasses, but I don't like them.

And depression since 15 years old. More than 10 years nothing changes.

There was a psychologist trying to help, because school forced me to take session with her for a comment I put on Facebook regarding changes.

I ignored her all the time looking at the wall with a cut conversation saying random words and she left me free because can't make me talk too much.

There was a time where I was looking the wall or other things avoiding eye contact, It's been a while I don't do anymore.

Edited by MyNameHere

Sanches
On 5/23/2018 at 11:56 PM, Scaglietti said:

Migraines are frequent, vision snow is permanent as of 2016 and getting worse. Basically everything everywhere is shimmering in "pixels" 24/7

Oh god, i have the same flying stuff around my eyes too.
The pixels are quite rare, but "floaters" are pretty much 24/7.

CanadianMuscle

...does meme cancer count?

ddubz91
On 5/24/2018 at 6:56 AM, Gnocchi Flip Flops said:

I have visual snow and migraines:

Migraines are frequent, vision snow is permanent as of 2016 and getting worse. Basically everything everywhere is shimmering in "pixels" 24/7 and is even more noticeable at night.

With it came permanent sensitivity to light, so you won't catch me in sunlight, or any kind of daylight even if it's overcast, without a pair of UV blocking sunglasses. It is physically painful and visually overwhelming otherwise.

Over the past two years I have had the same thing happen to me. Working and driving pretty much all day in the Australian sun probably doesn't help, but I've learnt to manage it. Wear sunglasses, low light atmospheres and don't stare directly into bright lights for too long periods of time.

I honestly had no idea what it was years ago, and most people won't treat it for you because it's pretty hard to treat. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone really.

Edited by ddubz91
maple syrup

Darkshadows
On 5/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

I have a sunken chest. Never really had any breathing problems, but makes for a good can holder.

My chest is the opposite of yours, never had any problems with it either. I guess we're like puzzle pieces.

I also got one of my knuckles f*cked up and my ring finger lost some of its mobility.

universetwisters

Kinda related, I got prescribed Trintellix for my depression. Does anyone else here take it? I took it earlier today and I was a drowsy mess for the first hour but then I got okay.

Jerking For Soup

Probably have some kind of mild autism I’m guessing.

^ I'm a diagnosed Autist myself, and I can only recommend getting that professionally checked then.

It could be 'mild autism' in that "everyone-acts-a-bit-autistic-these-days" way mass media and internet communities keep buzzing about. It could also be that you are indeed "slightly on the Autism spectrum", but it could as well be 'just mild' because your mind has adapted certain strategies to reduce stress and mental pain you are suffering while trying to navigate an environment that is "normal" for almost everyone but completely 'alien' to Autists. Some of us, particularly of the so-called "High-functioning" types, can do that so well, fooling even ourselves over an actually strong Autistic Disorder and co-morbidities ("accompanying psychological side-effects"), for a while at least.

Getting that checked can't hurt, start with one of those Autism Self-tests if you like; eventually, professional diagnosis can open ways to develop some positive awareness of your being "different", get you answers to some of the stranger things that might keep happening to you just now, and it can, on the long run, also help you preventing an Autistic Burnout.

I'm not advertising here (in fact I very much object a certain mainstream of current therapy, forcing Autists into "normal" behavior with outdated dog-training methods), but this issue is close to me.

Edited by Guest

GTA3Claude

I think I'm in a rather good physical condition, yet I do have Aspergers too. I've been diagnosed only two years and half ago. My brain is wired to a very specific routine, for example I love to make games, take care of animals, to play with Lego and to collect PSP games since several years. It doesn't really change anything for me because I've been diagnosed when I was 25, I guess it's too late to do something about it.

Being an Asperger, I think that regular school wasn't for me at all. It ruined my school years whether it be socially (because of bullies and hypocrites) or in terms of grades. I never been able to understand anything to scientific subjects, especially maths, yet I always had rather great grades in more literary ones, like French (my native language), History and English.

Finally, I don't know if it's a side effect for having been bullied for several years but I've ended up getting a deep resentment towards people (even when I don't know them at all, I'm almost unable to socialize with others and make friends out of them).

Edited by GTA3Claude

ThatKyloRenGuy

I have Asperger’s syndrome.

Crossbones

I have shortsightedness and constant back pain.

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Carpal tunnel syndrome is back, I have to use a wristband with magnets.

Mikovitch
On 6/3/2018 at 5:37 AM, Lock n' Stock said:

Was diagnosed with Aspergers and OCD during my teen years, and have also been very prone to extreme levels of anxiety and depression in the past.

While this has had an effect on me and my social skills, I don't feel that much different from anyone else nor consider myself "socially awkward" these days. I'm more or less just an ordinary guy.

I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism just last year. I am 41 years old. Long story short, my Parents were not the best and ignored all of my issues growing up, plus back then it was often misdiagnosed.

I have been treated for anxiety and depression throughout my adult life, but finally having the correct diagnosis, I have vastly improved.

Like you, my social skills and myself have suffered, but I learnt to adapt and hide my feelings to appear "normal." (Just lots of picking at my fingertips etc)

There are days when I completely melt down at the thought of talking to people or even going in to a full lobby online, but I am trying my best to finally embrace who I am, instead of hiding away (too much)

Good luck with your own journey and remember, there are always like minded folk to chat with on darker days :)

DangerZ0neX

Not really a disease, I got vitiligo patches in the back of my left upper arm, but they’ve gradually become more homogenous with my skin color the older I grew.

They're still noticeably a shade lighter though.

Lock n' Stock
On 7/20/2018 at 4:03 PM, Mikovitch said:

I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism just last year. I am 41 years old. Long story short, my Parents were not the best and ignored all of my issues growing up, plus back then it was often misdiagnosed.

I have been treated for anxiety and depression throughout my adult life, but finally having the correct diagnosis, I have vastly improved.

Like you, my social skills and myself have suffered, but I learnt to adapt and hide my feelings to appear "normal." (Just lots of picking at my fingertips etc)

There are days when I completely melt down at the thought of talking to people or even going in to a full lobby online, but I am trying my best to finally embrace who I am, instead of hiding away (too much)

Good luck with your own journey and remember, there are always like minded folk to chat with on darker days :)

Nothing much more I appreciate is advice than fellow people on the spectrum. It helps to know that you're not alone with what you're going through. :)

GTA_CAT

I have depression, anxiety and maybe some more things but I don't care too much, I prefer to keep on doing whatever I can and finding myself ways to improve or minimalize the effects because at the end everybody has some kind of "mental disorder" and if you are constantly thinking about it you will get mad. Neither I'm taking pills or something else, I did some years ago but now I prefer to workout in the mountains, eat healthy (not 100% lol) and sleeping enough. Also I have improved mental control techniques in order to control some attacks and they hardly ever fail. All my mental condition along all the problems and sh*t that have shaped it has helped me to rethink my life and get another point of view, better than the previous one I had. Just remember things have to get better some day and everybody has their stuff and nobody is weird for that.

Shadow_Assassin

Recurrent oral ulcer, probable hereditary.

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Today I know I'm suffering sun allergy, these days is more hot than ever in my city.

I sweat a lot in my work and is painful.

Edited by MyNameHere

DareYokel

I'm allergic to penicillin and I'm mildly myopic (-0.75 D).

Gummy 

Diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar a year back. I've probably got more than just that but I never bothered checking.

They gave me meds for it, which are too ineffective and expensive so I stopped taking them.

Tyche

Myopia since I was 6 years old

Antisocial personality disorder

Flat feet

Asmodo

I have pretty severe Asthma. I've been to the emergency room four times in the past two months. It sucks and I'm on tons of medication for it. Nothing worse than not being able to breath well and knowing you could die at any moment without quick medical intervention.

Candy_Licker

ulcerative colitis.

S.A.C.

ADD and depression. Not officially diagnosed for either but I know I have them

Edited by S.A.C.

CountdownIIExtinction

I got a vision disability. It's called pigmentosa retinitas or something - excuse my latin. Basically I'm 99% blind and f*cked for life. I have to kill myself before it is too late.