4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

WildBrick142

The Vespucci Job - Your Thoughts and Discussion Thread

WildBrick142

uuD2Sc6.png
"Forget APVs, forget reinforced hypercars, forget tanks, forget planes: if you're going up against Los Santos' finest, an Issi Classic is the only game in town. Each round, one fugitive takes the hipstermobile on the run, while everyone else jumps in a squad car to serve justice as only the LSPD know how. It only ends one of two ways: the runner gets all the checkpoints, or a fresh spot in the morgue."
2 Teams | 2-4 Players

It's been a while since I wrote one of these, dammit free time! What am I even- wait, this isn't the draft copy. Oops. So, anyway, The Vespucci Job. If you've ever dreamed of having a "career" in GTA Online, this is for you! In this totally-not-a-reference-to-The-Italian-Job, you get two jobs. One as a runner, the other as a police officer. Your job as a runner is very simple; run from the cops using a very tiny Italian (lol) classic. In everywhere but Vespucci.. Well, except for one, maybe two maps. As the cop, or interceptor, your job is to stop the criminals from running. In any way possible. Using your very own rented police cars! Could this be the GTA employment we're all looking for? Sure, it's borderline legal, but you still get to be a cop. It's something, right? Right?

I suppose you could call this the Cops and Crooks of GTA Online. Although this is nothing compared to the game type in GTA IV and the original concept for GTA Online, it still can be somewhat considered that. "We'll never let players be the cops" and all that. Might as well just give us the outfits at this point.

TzMuuRk.png

As the Runner, you are driving an Issi Classic and are collecting checkpoints while dodging the Interceptors that are torpedoing towards you. Talk about police brutality. There are fifteen checkpoints to collect, at least on The Vespucci Job I, scattered around various roads and alleys in the designated area. Runners get five minutes to collect all the checkpoints. If your pocket rocket gets stuck or too damaged you can respawn by holding the 'enter/exit vehicle' button. However, respawning takes away twenty seconds from your time to collect the checkpoints. Respawning is an option even when the cops completely block you off, in this case it's better to respawn and lose that twenty seconds than spend the whole round trying to escape.

The runners also utilize a never-before seen feature of Adversary Modes. Personal vehicles. That's right, if you own an Issi Classic the game will let you use it during the match. This makes the mode more immersive when the runner rolls up in a chrome-pink Issi Classic with lime green dollar wheels with whitewalls, which is a crime in itself and makes the chase, the ramfest, and the total destruction of public property totally justifiable.

OyS0U1c.png

As the Interceptors, or the Cops, you are required to stop the runners in their Issi Classics from collecting all the checkpoints. There can be up to three interceptors on the team -depending on the amount of players- and everyone gets a standard Police Cruiser, as well as a cop outfit to go with it (no you can't save it stop thinking about it kthx). The cop cars are not upgraded and their handling is absolutely abysmal, but they make up for all that in speed (while the runners have the small size and nimble handling). Therefore, they should be able to catch up well enough, and if not, you can still get a boost from the slipstream of your teammates and even the runner. Just like the runners, you are able to infinitely respawn should you get stuck, except that this time at no penalty. This will also fix any damage to your car, so if you damage it too much respawning really wouldn't hurt. As the interceptor, you are not able to see the checkpoints the runner has to collect. The only option is to chase the runner and try to predict where they will go next.

Runners and Interceptors swap teams each round. Whether you dream of being the runner or an interceptor, it will not be the end of the world if you don't get the role. Just play until the next rounds and your time to shine will eventually come.

BNELJRx.png

How to get good as a runner, you may ask? First of all, and I can't stress this enough, BUY AN ISSI CLASSIC. Seriously, do it. Not only it's a fun meme car in Freemode, but it also makes your life much, much, easier (and prison-free) during the Adversary Mode. It's not expensive, you could likely make all that money back within a day. A stock Issi Classic isn't fast which puts you at a high risk of not being able to outrun the cops, and, as a result, getting pummeled all the way to the nearest prison (aka: not being able to collect all checkpoints on time and losing the round).

Once that is out the way, and please, for the love of god, don't paint the thing chrome-pink or give it lime green dollar wheels with whitewalls, it is time for the second tip of the day. Alleyways are your friends. They can save you from the Interceptors because they are narrow and sometimes have various twists and turns that the interceptors will have a hard time going through. Sure, you could still use the main roads but then you will be putting yourself at a risk of the interceptors catching up to you by using your slipstream. However the alleyways can be at a disadvantage, too. As they are not the main roads, they will obviously have more clutter and props in them that might end up slowing you down or even trapping you entirely. In the end, there is no right or wrong if you ask me.

And that is because what you really should do on your path to checkpoint-hoarding enlightenment is pay attention to the minimap. And the road, of course, but the minimap is just as important. Without it, you will have a hard time finding the checkpoints, that's a given, but in addition you wouldn't be able to plan your next move. You can see the Interceptors on the minimap (and vice-versa), therefore you can use that to predict their next moves, dodge them, and avoid losing. Simple as that. Do not respawn unless you absolutely have to.

As you are always on the move, you don't get too much time to plan out your tactics and should think and act fast. Pay attention to your surroundings and you should be good, in fact this could save you a lot of time on top of the victory. What the runners are doing is essentially Collect Flags (from the San Andreas Flight School) except with angry people barreling towards them.

nZvyvOV.png

The Interceptors can use their personal Police Cruisers to chase the runners. No, wait, that's wrong. You can't own or store Police Cruisers, silly! That's just totally unrealistic and improbable compared to flying and hovering cars, and bikes with rocket engines and wings. Okay, skip, so you can't have an upgraded Police Cruiser with you. Don't worry, though! The Interceptors can use the slipstream from the runners and other interceptors to gain some extra speed. Police Cruisers should be able to catch up to an Issi Classic anyway.

Just as it is for the runners, the minimap is very important for the interceptors too. The interceptors cannot see the checkpoints, but they can see the runner. The same tactic of prediction can be applied here - watch the minimap and try to ambush the runner. Use teamwork and cooperation to block the runner from multiple directions. Do anything you can to slow them down, even ramming them at 100mph works. The Issi Classic is very light, if you block them off, they're done (unless they respawn). If you ram them hard, you can push them for a bit. Alternatively, you can wait for the runner to mess up themselves. It happens, believe me.

The environment is your friend!! If you're alone, or your teammates are being afk, the surroundings can help you block off the runner instead. Walls, gates, dead ends, armored trees and hedges. Anything solid like that can help you out a lot. The runners can respawn if they're blocked off, but you're certainly able to delay them. And who knows, some may be stubborn enough to try to escape themselves, or not know how to respawn at all.

Speaking of respawning, once again, the interceptors can respawn to their heart's content without penalty. Want a fresh car or teleport a block away? Just hold that enter/exit vehicle button.

iQQExTQ.png

The only map I played so far was The Vespucci Job I. It's a good location with enough alleys for the Issi Classic to sneak through, and structures for the Interceptors to use against the runners. There is a specific play area. If you leave the area you will be warned to return to it. I don't know what happens when you don't go back on time, but I'd assume you either get disqualified or respawned. The play area is, however, large enough to roam about in, and some sections don't feature checkpoints.

All maps have various props placed down in some places such as ramps or barriers. This particular map we played only featured a few concrete barriers, which were probably used to block the entrance to the metro tunnels judging from their location on the Social Club map. Some maps also have parked vehicles, nothing too special. Interceptors start ranging from one street to one or two blocks away from the runner, giving the runner enough of a headstart towards their quest.

EhQqP8E.png

If anyone here remembers the success that was Overtime Rumble, and by some reason wants to remember the Overtime Sleepover Shootout too, this is close if not on par to it. It's a non-PvP Adversary Mode, meaning that you don't kill anyone. No kill/death ratio nonsense, no tryharding, just a classic game of bumper cars and capture the flag. If you are not a PvP person and prefer modes where you interact with and/or against players without firing any bullets, you may enjoy this mode and see it as a success just as I did. Note that like with every Adversary Mode released to date you will come across some bad apples who AFK or go against your own team. This time I was lucky to have a group of awesome friends to play the game with, though, so that saved me some potential frustration on my first experience (and maybe helped make it less influenced by other players' terrible actions :whistle:)

Rounds don't take too long, either. Five minutes is not much if you're having fun, unless you don't enjoy the mode or did the same mistake we did and set it to 4 rounds (we thought this would give everyone a chance to have a go, not realizing that would make it last until someone is the first to win four rounds). The round can also last less than the five minutes if the runner respawns. Like all the other Adversary Modes and Jobs in general; the longer it takes, the higher your payout will be. This is especially convenient with the current double GTA$ and RP bonuses going on right now. You will make back the money you spent on a custom Issi Classic in no time!

What are your opinions of this Adversary Mode? Did you find it to be fun and enjoyable? Or did you find it terrible and a waste of time?

tl;dr: it's fun.

Zader

It's a hell of a lot of fun, but isn't very well pulled off. Having multiple Issis being chased by six or so police would make it more interesting.

ALifeOfMisery

I like the concept. I also like that we can use our custom version with no option to turn customs off, I'd like that to be a feature in more Adversary Modes. The round length is good and most of the maps are good as well for a change.

I would have liked the option for more players, 2 runners Vs 6 cops, 3 runners Vs 9 cops. More players increases the area size and checkpoints required.

My problems with this are the same as most Adversary Modes, other players, specifically AFKers and quitters.

joel15cat
Posted (edited)

"The Interceptors can use their personal Police Cruisers to chase the runners. No, wait, that's wrong. You can't own or store Police Cruisers, silly! That's just totally unrealistic and improbable compared to flying and hovering cars, and bikes with rocket engines and wings."

Hahahahahahahahaha

Its a really fun adversary mode and I didn't like adversary modes, so...

I hate when as a runner I finish in 3 minutes and I only win 5000$. I was thinking that will be better win 1.000$ for every checkpoint as runner and 2.000$ for checkpoint left when Im a cop.

Edited by joel15cat

Mexicola9302

It`s fun playing a few rounds but then it starts to get boring real quick. Because the runner always wins if he/she isn't a complete unskilled idiot.

Gr8

It`s fun playing a few rounds but then it starts to get boring real quick. Because the runner always wins if he/she isn't a complete unskilled idiot.

This is the exact reason I've been saying cops n crooks won't work in this game. Every car is too nimble and the city isn't dense enough thanks to the large roads to create any kind of tension for a serious cat and mouse chase. If anything it should be at least 1v7 to make things interesting.

Rafae

I love it, one of the best adversary modes to date right up there with the likes of Slasher, Extraction, Entourage, Power Play and a select few others. It's really easy for the runners to win if they're decent drivers but if there's equally as decent interceptors, it'll make for a fun match. Also, depending on which side you're on, the imbalance can either really make things more fun or a complete nightmare lol.

I also love the fact that the rewards are so meaty, really the cherry on top of this fun adversary mode.

HamwithCheese

Its good. Would be better with more people, more checkpoints and more time.

Also, if r* disables the handling flags for the mini, they would need to disable custom minis for this mode.

irish.chr

It's exactly as I predicted it would be. Cops and Crooks, but worse.

And still can't have the f*cking outfit...

Bloodytears1666
Posted (edited)

I played for 4 hours today and won as cop mostly. Especially when at least two players know how to surround, runner will have hardest times. Just blocking every alley from both sides works in 70%. Plus beautiful times putting runner in a box to walls.

Cruiser is heavy, push handbrake and stand still turning the car into a wall.

Also I like some maps designed more to Police, where long straights inside city, and some a the best to runner, like port area.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

Mach1bud

Easily one of my favorite modes. Have won many times on both teams. I wouldn't mind this exact same but with different cars.

*cough*Ellie*cough*

Lonely-Martin
Posted (edited)

Not usually an adversary mode guy really, there's just not many I like. That said, this is the type of thing that I feel should be more and more in regards to these modes.

Few issues, everyone wants to be the runner, many idle, and many like to take out teammates too. Does get a little boring if done too frequently, but many things here do, lol.

Aside that though, good fun.

* Edit. Too many quitters too, lol. But loving the non-PvP aspect here. Want much more of that too. :)

Edited by KWF1981

Bloodytears1666

Easily one of my favorite modes. Have won many times on both teams. I wouldn't mind this exact same but with different cars.

*cough*Ellie*cough*

Yeah, like this mode against tank with sticky bombs, but there like armed thief with revolver and pack of cop cars, may be at least ten.

Fun 2
Posted (edited)

One of the best adversary modes.

A few adjustments will make it even better and also it should load the next map after you finish 4 rounds.

It will make it even better as playing the same map over and over again will make it boring and the cops won't bother chasing the runner as they know the location of every checkpoint.

Edited by Fun 2

CrysisAverted

I enjoy it

though I doubt I'll find it as fun once double pay is gone and so is its playerbase

APB

Quite good, better than the rest of these modes. Played it 8 times and only once as the runner. Cops seem to have a higher winning ratio. Still it is fun, but I'm over it after my 8th time.

Fl1ppy

I don't know if i'm just ridiculously good at being a runner, or if almost everyone i play with is incapable of driving in a straight line as i win almost everytime i play as the runner, Probably even more now that i own a custom one. Still a ridiculously fun game though.

Pedinhuh

It's a good adversary mode, for a change.

I like it mainly because of its simplicity, that throw us back in the good old days of Cops N'Crooks, you have a car that must drive through these checkpoints, three other players are set out to stop you.

Nothing more and nothing less, I appreciate the simplicity of it.

Plus, outsmarting the cops by squeezing my ride in tight alleys were they can't reach is GOLD!

AGNT009

Vespucci job is maybe the best mode Rockstar has given us. FINALLY Cops and Robbers of some type. At double pay, win 4 of 4 (3 as cops 1 as driver) rounds pulled in over 100K. This is SOO much fun for great drivers. I finally understand the cops frustrations trying to catch us now, lol. Tripping over ourselves in the turns and beating the crap out of the Issi is great fun. I love flipping off the Issi when I got him pinned. But this mode needs a sequel.

When creating races first came out, I made a long endurance run series of races that mimicked the Dukes of Hazard's Hazard County Derby. So I could get verified, I came up with generic names. I called them, the Dune Boys. Vespucci mode should have us chasing an Imponte Dukes car around Blaine County, with a bunch of added ramp jumps from Rockstar for the cars to jump and see if the cops can follow.

Cheesy_wotsit

I don't know if i'm just ridiculously good at being a runner, or if almost everyone i play with is incapable of driving in a straight line as i win almost everytime i play as the runner, Probably even more now that i own a custom one. Still a ridiculously fun game though.

The mode is easy if you approach it cool, calm and measured in many respects it is like being a good racer and that is why so many people are bad at it because the GTAO mentality is to go at everything like a bull in a china shop it just means they are unable to adapt quickly to changes in direction are unable to assess when your team mate as pinned the opponent and genrally they end up smashing and crashing in to their own team mates more than than the target car. From the runners point of view it's obvious why going at it like a 19 year old virgin on his first pussy, the back end of the Issi is loose, use the foot brake, never use the hand brake, and keep turns clean and smooth try to avoid longer straight runs and the most important factor is know when to bail on a blocked target and go for another or use the respawn if you can't quickly get out of a situation. Oh and brake + accel is great for quick turns.

So yeah the mode is fun got me to come back to the game after five months away to give it a try, even bought the car, making back the money I spent on it after only 6 rounds.

Killer Whale
Posted (edited)

it's a really fun adversary mode. Simple, but effective. And a really good money maker. I've made around $500k until now. It's one of the few AM I've touched, and the only one I've replayed more than twice.

I've won every game I've been on since Tuesday morning. I've stopped all Runners I've faced from getting all 15 checkpoints, and I've gotten all 15 checkpoints of every time I've been a Runner. I don't want to say I'm the best or something, but I've been quite proficient in my runs. It's only a matter of time for the rest of the players to adapt.

It does get annoying when you being an interceptor get bumped or PIT-ted -accidentally or spitefully- by another one, but it's kinda inevitable when everyone's ramming for the Runner right in front of you. Finally something that doesn't involve PvP or tryhards spamming the EWO. And finally something I'm really, really good at.

Best thing they've released since Deadline.

Edited by Killer Whale

confederatestatesgta

i like this adversary mode. i have had a good many laughs from this mode. especially a time when a runner got a checkpoint. and he had to jump down. otherwise he was screwed. he jumped right into a little invincible fence. like a cage. and there was only one way out and we had it blocked. and the fence was in a bar form so it literally looked like he locked himself up. then the next round the next runner made the same mistake. when it was my turn. i knew i wasent going to be as dumb as them. so i outsmarted them. easy money and good fun.

Snoopbr

Missed opportunity for adding the Police Cruiser and Buffalo Cruiser. I know people are disappointed because it's not like "Cops 'n' Crooks", but I hope to see more "Police vs Robbers" modes in the funture! I like this theme and the game already have enough resources for it.

irish.chr

Adversary modes have been so sh*tty that this one is being praised just for being slightly less sh*tty...

This is just another adversary mode. Nothing special.

The Other Dude

I detest most of the adversary modes that have been released however, this one has been quite enjoyable. It reminds me of the cops and robbers mode that was in Need For Speed: Undercover.

The only gripe I have with it is teammates who insist on playing bumper cars instead of focusing on slowing down the runner.

AgentPlum

Like all other AMs its f*cking monotonous garbage - played it twice, won't touch it ever again

flexcreator

Very good. I like the fact that you can't shoot from the car in this mode. An example when "less is more". However, it would be more interesting if more players were involved.

Skeve613

I've actually enjoyed this mode more than most of the recent AM offerings; the exaggerated physics lead to some really funny crashes and launchers, the basic concept works quite well, and it plays to the strengths of the vehicle physics on this game for the most part.

However like most other AMs it's a bit lacking in depth and polish. It's a bit annoying to see a lot of potential in the idea that isn't realized here, but maybe R* will make another AM that rips this one off and does the basic idea slightly differently - in this case, I'd actually like to see them do that for once.

Fluffy Sock

Fun to play 2-3 matches in a row, then play something else. The chasing and crashing thing becomes boring really quickly.

Rykjeklut

It's good. Nice mix of Hunting Pack and Offence Defence, which are both better Adversary Modes...